Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

From what I have played so far it seems like they have gone for a more mundane approach to the bosses. Nothing as cool as the boss of Depths or anything like that.

Is there any disadvantage to summoning friends just for the sake of sharing the love? Does it increase enemy health or split the souls?

Bosses get more health with each summon, but that's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

From what I have played so far it seems like they have gone for a more mundane approach to the bosses. Nothing as cool as the boss of Depths or anything like that.

Is there any disadvantage to summoning friends just for the sake of sharing the love? Does it increase enemy health or split the souls?

Enemy HP is increased for each friend. They also seem to harder to poise break since I noticed a difference on Ruin Sentinels solo compared to co-op.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Bosses get more health with each summon, but that's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.
Anecdotally, its a bigger increase from 2->3 than 1->2, and you get less of an advantage summoning two people anyway.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

They would have needed a lot of crows to get there then. :v: (Is there anything about the world trees in DS2?)

I don't think archtrees ever get mentioned by name but they're around. For one, the transition from Aldia's Keep to Dragon Aerie has a view of dozens of them - well, dozens of eroded trunks, anyway - and subsequently Dragon Aerie is situated on the tops of those.

I've wondered whether the archtrees in Dark Souls were intended to cover the entire world, or whether they were limited in scope - forests of archtrees. (I mean, it's not even clear whether the game takes place on a planet - as opposed to some Dark Ages-type cosmology with a flat earth, archtrees 'growing' from it, the stone treetops forming another layer of land, and then the heavens above, with nothing else in the universe.) But I think that DS2 implies that archtrees didn't cover the whole world. For one, the view from Aldia's Keep has mountains in the distance with no archtrees sprouting from them. That also fits nicely with Northern Undead Asylum being in a mountain range that doesn't look like archtree branches.

But what I think is interesting is that none of the archtrees in DS2 have any foliage. If Drangleic is Lordran, then where did that upper layer go? Every locale in Dark Souls 1 except for Ash Lake would be a few hundred meters higher than any location in Drangleic. Did it gradually erode away? Was there a cataclysmic collapse, untold amounts of rock crashing down on the land below and obliterating almost all the structures built upon it?

Even if Drangleic isn't Lordran, I suspect it used to be the site of an archtree forest. The open area near the start of Forest of Fallen Giants, where the first Heide knight is, looks to me like the stump of an archtree.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

their lil poopers posted:

The mummies pathing is kinda bad and they'll fall off the bridge to the fog gate a lot. Much like how every blood stain around that gate is people being dumb and falling into the water.

Some of those are probably people being caught by the mummies exploding too. They all pretty much rush you as soon as you hit that doorway and it's really easy to get blown up or off the walkway.

Azzents posted:

The guy with his back turned and his nose buried in a book? If you have the ring of whispers and talk to Manscorpion Tark he mentions that his master never dies and changes forms so that "he may seethe for all eternity" so it's implied that either the duke or Felja are Seath reincarnate.

That sounds like a kind of a stretch honestly. Is Seath even pronounced like that (didn't play DS1)? Usually a spelling like that would be pronounced more like "shayth."

Not that the spider doesn't have something to do with Seath but just using a reasonably common word like "seethe" isn't really proof of anything.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think the enemies themselves are just more mundane overall. There just seems to be a hell of a lot more "footsoldier" or "big footsoldier" enemies in Dark Souls 2 as opposed to some of the weirder things from Demon's or Dark Souls 1. Kinda bummed about that.

e: The Black Gulch is probably one of my favorite DS2 areas so far just because everything in it was weird. sadly it was really short and one of the enemy types doesn't even attack you directly or acknowledge you at all which is strange

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got summoned on my new character to help a guy defeat the Pursuer during his initial appearance. Despite me doing poo poo damage due to my dual fists, we actually managed to beat him! Hope that guy got something cool from it aside from a bunch of souls.

Of course, two minutes later both other players managed to get killed by a bunch of random hollows :v:

EDIT: Here's a way to make the Last Giant actually hard; use double fists and put on the turtle amour.

This might take a few tries.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 29, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Xoidanor posted:

I'm starting to see a trend as I play of humanoid bosses all sucking. They're all terrible :effort: bullshit, most can't handle you literally just walking in circles around them. The worst offender I've seen so far is Old Dragonslayer which is literally just Ornstein copy&pasted with a different color palette. Did the development team run out of money halfway into the game or something? :psyduck:

He's Literally Just Ornstein with similar moves but subtly different animation that they had to completely re-make because they went with motion capture this time around instead of hand-making every animation.

There's nothing :effort: about it. It was a design choice: you got to fight the other three knights alone in the previous game. Ornstein is the only one that had backup. Hell, if you beat Ornstein first, upgraded Smough is still just Smough but with an electrified hammer. Ornstein is literally the only one that you never fight alone and with his normal attack pattern. So they wanted to see what fighting Ornstein alone would be like, and he's a perfectly serviceable boss that's apparently only hindered by the fact you fought him before in the previous game.

You're also exaggerating. While most of them are made more simple by circle-strafing, you still have to block or dodge, because all of them have wide-sweeping attacks that they can use. Some have backup, or other things that mitigate. The Lost Sinner is a humanoid boss, and she's great. Velstadt is one of the best bosses in the game. The Ruin Sentinels are all humanoid, and since you fight three of them (or, in practice, one then two,) you have to be careful where you're walking.

The only one I can really say that fits this bill is the Dragonrider, and that's true. He's a very easy boss. He's also one of the first bosses, so I'm fine with it being very simple and easy. I mean they even kind of address this with the Double Dragonriders fight: just circlestrafing one would mean you'd get shot.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
So guard break in pvp is pretty fun

https://mediacru.sh/DFnU4Ux9GeOs

Also this. Godamn dark souls :allears:

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The main reason they probably have so many dude with weapon bosses is because the best bosses from dks1 were dudes with weapons. Plus its probably way easier to program and make animations for those types of fights.

Also yeah it seems like they at least tried to make it harder to trivialize bosses with circle-strafing since bosses have more attacks that hit around them and slow swings seem to have better tracking on your movements, unlike dks1 where almost every boss outside the dlc was trivialized by circle-strafing.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah thus far most of the bosses I've faced have been standard "move to to the right, dodge, attack, repeat" encounters and it's kinda lame.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I'm dual-wielding my way through life and I have been beating my face on Ruin Sentinels for a while. I'm sure this has come up in the thread before but it moves like lightning.

Is it easier to tackle the Sentinels with just two people? I keep summoning two phantoms but I have been having a really bad run of things, meanwhile I can assist to kill them all day long. Smoothest run I had so far was me and one other guy.

Is this the boss that will make me wear a shield? Please don't say so.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kimmalah posted:

Some of those are probably people being caught by the mummies exploding too. They all pretty much rush you as soon as you hit that doorway and it's really easy to get blown up or off the walkway.

That sounds like a kind of a stretch honestly. Is Seath even pronounced like that (didn't play DS1)? Usually a spelling like that would be pronounced more like "shayth."

Not that the spider doesn't have something to do with Seath but just using a reasonably common word like "seethe" isn't really proof of anything.

All of the Old Souls are the four Lord Soul/Lord Soul fragments from Dark Souls 1. They merely take new forms. The game couldn't be any more clear about this without literally beating you over the head with it. Take for instance the fact that Freja is deliberately made a separate soul from the Duke himself, which you have to embrace with a clicky. As per Tark's words, the DUKE is a mad MAGICAL EXPERIMENTER creating twisted new life and lashing out against perceived slights, driven mad by his loneliness and inability to confront his real issues.

Whooooo could that be I wonder?????

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Do you get anything for vanquishing invaders in Belfry Luna?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Red Crown posted:

Do you get anything for vanquishing invaders in Belfry Luna?

The honor of being able to loot the place unmolested and move on to the boss.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
So, I just accidentally killed Pate and Creighton at the same time. Am I screwed out of anything good?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Velstadt is one of the best bosses in the game.

The run up to him is absolutely painful, though. This seems to be a recurring problem with this game compared to the first: there're a decent amount of places chariot, lake, crypt where the run there is much more annoying than the boss. Not a lot of shortcuts, either.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

KoldPT posted:

The run up to him is absolutely painful, though. This seems to be a recurring problem with this game compared to the first: there're a decent amount of places chariot, lake, crypt where the run there is much more annoying than the boss. Not a lot of shortcuts, either.

Kill the bellringer and run up the right wall then cross onto the stairs, roll out of the guards' attacks, and you're in.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I played this game for 20 hours and decided i really wasn't having fun. cant tell if thats because its not as good as dark souls or cause i grew out of the game.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Captain Oblivious posted:

So once you beat the invaders, its home free until you bonfire it up?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Does unarmed with Vanquisher's Seal do more damage than dual +10 cestus?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

doomfunk posted:

I'm dual-wielding my way through life and I have been beating my face on Ruin Sentinels for a while. I'm sure this has come up in the thread before but it moves like lightning.

Is it easier to tackle the Sentinels with just two people? I keep summoning two phantoms but I have been having a really bad run of things, meanwhile I can assist to kill them all day long. Smoothest run I had so far was me and one other guy.

Here's the best way to deal with the Sentinels; ignore them and come back later when you can easily beat them.

For actual advice on the fight, you just need to get better at dodging. The sentinels attacks are all telegraphed pretty heavily and you can dodge through all of them with enough practice. Fighting more than one at a time will ruin you regardless of if you dodge or block. You need to stay on the starting platform to deal with the first guy alone, then handle the last two as best you can. I've heard people say you can lure each sentinel onto that platform 1 by 1, but the last two always came after me at the same time.

Vintersorg posted:

So once you beat the invaders, its home free until you bonfire it up?

If you wait too long more invaders will come, but the area is so small that if you beat two invaders you should have plenty of time to ring the bell and head to the boss.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

An honor also obtained by pulling your internet connection for 10 minutes. See ya later nerds, have fun waiting for invasions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To get off lore chat a sec which bonfires are good ones to use an ascetic on?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Does unarmed with Vanquisher's Seal do more damage than dual +10 cestus?

Yes but it has less range and no poise damage.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

Depends on what you're looking for.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The second/hidden bonfire of Aldia's Keep is great for any Int-heavy character. Soul Geyser is a stone's throw away, the boss of the area gets wrecked by it, you can skip enemies leading up to him, and you'll get a fair amount of souls plus a Dragon Scale for your troubles.

Disclaimer: Have not played an Int character since Soul Geyser was nerfed, so I am unsure to what degree it compares to pre-nerf power. Worst case the latter two benefits of Ascetic-ing that bonfire are still true, and the boss is not particularly difficult otherwise.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I killed a Crystal Lizard on a wooden bridge and it didn't drop anything what the hell. :mad:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's the best way to deal with the Sentinels; ignore them and come back later when you can easily beat them.

Or just go human and summon the NPC in the cell just right before the fog door. Utterly trivializes the fight since they're to dependent on each other to actually pose any real danger when seperated.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

neetengie posted:

Depends on what you're looking for.

More sorceries and pyromancies I guess. Maybe redo a few bosses. Or would I need to wait til ng+ anyway?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Don't you just buy/find magic? There's no need to use an ascetic for that.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

More sorceries and pyromancies I guess. Maybe redo a few bosses. Or would I need to wait til ng+ anyway?

In addition to what Umberger said, ascetic Sinner's Rise, DDF, and that's about it really (from what I remember).

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't you just buy/find magic? There's no need to use an ascetic for that.

Certain sorceries and pyromancies are made with special souls on NG+/an ascetic'd bonfire.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

You don't need to wait for NG+ for NG+ exclusive stuff. Getting Crystal Soul Spear and/or Moonlight Greatsword from Duke's Dear Freja might be worth doing too.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I killed a Crystal Lizard on a wooden bridge and it didn't drop anything what the hell. :mad:

Could have fallen through the bridge. That happens.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Noxville posted:

Could have fallen through the bridge. That happens.

Yeah that's probably what happened. Happened to me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I looked all over and nada and I guess because I killed it instead of it just committing suicide it won't respawn again.

Speaking of lizards, what's up with the red one in the sand pit? Just a trap?

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.

doomfunk posted:

As a shield-haver, I did better in that fight just ignoring that I was holding one and depending on rolls instead.

radiant solaire
Nov 27, 2013
What does increasing the poison/bleed stat on a weaopn do? Does it increase the duration or lower the hits needed to proc?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I looked all over and nada and I guess because I killed it instead of it just committing suicide it won't respawn again.

I have killed one that dropped nothing so I guess what they drop is random and sometimes it's nada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

All of the Old Souls are the four Lord Soul/Lord Soul fragments from Dark Souls 1. They merely take new forms. The game couldn't be any more clear about this without literally beating you over the head with it. Take for instance the fact that Freja is deliberately made a separate soul from the Duke himself, which you have to embrace with a clicky. As per Tark's words, the DUKE is a mad MAGICAL EXPERIMENTER creating twisted new life and lashing out against perceived slights, driven mad by his loneliness and inability to confront his real issues.

Whooooo could that be I wonder?????

I wasn't saying that the guy was wrong, I was saying that using the word "seethe" is not proof of anything and is a stretch. There's a ton of evidence in the game without having to bring idiotic semantics like "He said a common word that sounded sort of like some character's name" into it.

A lot of DS1 enemies had demon in their names, hint from the devs that the Smelter Demon is all of them reincarnated? :eyepop:

Yodzilla posted:

It might have fallen through the bridge, I've had loot from enemies fall through floors into inaccessible areas because it was wooden and full of holes. On the other hand my game bugged and I didn't get a pyromancy I was supposed to get as a quest reward. :mad: