Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Jones strikes me as the kind of guy who is really rich but tries to let everyone know who he is so that they comp everything for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Bundt Cake posted:

Jones strikes me as the kind of guy who is really rich but tries to let everyone know who he is so that they comp everything for him

Like Fight Pass, for instance

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Feels like the right time to repost this even though it's not Jones, it's someone who is objectively more well-adjusted than Jones, which is saying something:

Chael Sonnen posted:

So, we have this meal at Bolo, which is a very nice restaurant, and in addition to the meal we were there for four hours. Now I think that matters in tipping, some people like to go on 15 or 18, 20% scale, I think time matters. If I go sit there and I have coffee at a restaurant and I just don't order anything, but I take up that waitress's booth, she's getting paid. She'll get an 800% tip, I gotta pay for my time there.

So, the 4 hours all sorted, we have a $700 tab, guy named Andy DeBartolo, used to be the GM for the 49ers, knows Glazer, we're having... Jay Glazier is with us. When we go to leave, he picks up the tab, the tab's covered.

I've never had this happen, none of us. So, we get up and leave and we're guessing, "Man that was about $700 he just covered." We get outside and we're waiting for the valet to pull up, Rashad had driven, that comes in later in the story. So, Glazer goes, "Hey did anybody leave a tip?" I'm like, "I did not, I just assumed that was part of it." He's like, "Ah, I don't know the etiquette on this, I've never had anybody buy me dinner. Let's run in and leave a tip."

Rashad speaks up and goes, "I got it." And he's peacocking, you know, he's walking in there. He's got a little extra bounce in his step. He comes out and we said, "How much did you leave?" To which he proudly announces, "20 bucks."

Oh, we're just going, "You gotta be kidding." And we're laughing. He doesn't know why we're laughing and he doesn't understand. Now, this guy's from Chicago, there's taxis; everything you do in Chicago involves a tip when you're ina big city like that. He acts like he doesn't understand the tipping process, like the architecture of tipping in America.

So, Jay and I are Laughing so hard. As we're laughing they pull the car up, to which I get in, they open the door. Rashad gets in, the guy stands there waiting for the tip on the car and Rashad sits there, staring at him. Eventually, the guy shuts the door and Rashad pulls away and at this point, I'm in the back seat just hiding my face as well as laughing at him out of just being uncomfortable.

So, yes, he is a pretty bad tipper, but he thinks he's good. He grew two inches when he, "20 bucks."

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Bundt Cake posted:

You forgot the best part, it was like a week after he'd been in a Bud Light ad and said he'd never be the guy who got caught drunk driving. Also I think he had a fiance who was pregnant

I didn't even know how to include that stuff, man.

I guess the guy's original point was that it wasn't like a Ray Lewis or Kobe Bryant level scandal that captured the hearts and minds of excitable American gossip blogs. We have to remember that this is our big gay cage fight punchsport and athletes acting inappropriately isn't all that surprising to most folks. After Rampage killing unborn children after a three day "energy drink" binge and it going largely unreported by Big Sports Media, I don't know what it'll take for Jon Jones to be scandalized in a meaningful way.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
What if he declined being photographed with a white woman out of respect for D.S.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Gunnar Nelson vs. Ryan LaFlare in Dublin July 19th, now that's a spicy bunga

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

What if he declined being photographed with a white woman out of respect for D.S.

He'd have to cut up his wedding photos, then.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

masato tatanka posted:

This match owns a whole lot.

Dublin's show should be a fun card to watch with that fight, McCall/Pickett, and Conor McGregor desperately trying to live up to his own hype.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

LobsterMobster posted:

He'd have to cut up his wedding photos, then.

Not wedding. Prom or something.

Snowball King indeed.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

masato tatanka posted:

The coolest grapply fihht

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't think I've ever seen McGregor fight. I noticed he fought Holloway when I was looking at his record for saturday, and I saw that McGregor has only two fights in the UFC! How the gently caress do you get famous by winning a decision against Max Holloway? I feel vindicated for ignoring him this entire time.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I don't think I've ever seen McGregor fight. I noticed he fought Holloway when I was looking at his record for saturday, and I saw that McGregor has only two fights in the UFC! How the gently caress do you get famous by winning a decision against Max Holloway? I feel vindicated for ignoring him this entire time.

He's Irish and Dana wants desperately to break into that market, culture, etc for whatever reason (he's from Boston). See Cathal from TUF for another example of pushing a lovely, undeserving Irishman.

edit - It worked on me on TUF because I was expecting a beast in the lead up to his fight. He's going to get knocked the gently caress out as soon as he fights anyone with decent hands.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mavis Beacon Boi posted:

Not wedding. Prom or something.

Snowball King indeed.

Pretty sure he married her

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Cathal might not be great but I think it's a bit much to be saying he wasn't at least qualified to be a TUF washout.

McGregor gets a big push because of all the reasons mentioned, but also because he is pretty loving good at talking up his fights. Even the ones that don't have a chance of existing. He's got Diego Sanchez ready to fight him for one.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 29, 2014

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I stared the press conference late, but I see Werdum and Cain there with "The Ultimate Fighter" logo in the background so I guess Cain vs Werdum in Mexico and latin america TUF are official.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Count Roland posted:

he finished Marcus Brimmage in a minute and absorbed the power of the dragonball.

Cain vs. Werdum is on TUF Latin America finale Nov 15th, does that make it a free tv fight?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ariza posted:

He's Irish and Dana wants desperately to break into that market, culture, etc for whatever reason (he's from Boston). See Cathal from TUF for another example of pushing a lovely, undeserving Irishman.

Hell he tried pushing Marcus Davis and that guy wasn't good or Irish.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ariza posted:

edit - It worked on me on TUF because I was expecting a beast in the lead up to his fight. He's going to get knocked the gently caress out as soon as he fights anyone with decent hands.

Hey that guy at least won his fight!

I don't get why they're so bothered about an Irish market, there are more people in any major city than there are in the whole of Ireland for fucks sake.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

masato tatanka posted:

he finished Marcus Brimmage in a minute and absorbed the power of the dragonball.

Cain vs. Werdum is on TUF Latin America finale Nov 15th, does that make it a free tv fight?

Nah just means we're getting a TUF finale on PPV. It's officially gonna be ufc 180.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

masato tatanka posted:

nah man, TUF Latin America finale is free for Mexico but will be known as UFC 180 here in the states on PPV. Similar to how UFC 147 was the finale for the first season of TUF Brazil but was a PPV in the states.

What sucks about that is the PPV will be weaker by the fact that there will be 1 to 2 TUF finalist fights, which are almost always mehhhh. UFC better put an Aldo title defense as the co-main or something to make up for it.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

more Dublin fight announcements:
  • Tom Lawlor vs Ilir Latifi
  • Brad Pickett vs. Ian McCall
  • Cody Donovan vs. Nikita Krylov
  • some other fight, i didnt hear this one or the ticket release date because i broke out in a sweat/adrenaline rush at the prospect of seeing al capone fight i nthe flesh

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Latifi dropping to 185 or Tom goin up?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

i think it's at 205 from what they're saying on BT sport

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

e: my joke was not funny

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
curious to see how pushing cain as the face of the UFC in mexico is going to work out. maybe they'll get fired up, maybe they'll wonder why the american who doesn't speak spanish is being portrayed as their national hero and support the weirdo macho goofball man who they already hear on their tee vee's insinuating his broadcast partners are homosexuals during UFC events

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

curious to see how pushing cain as the face of the UFC in mexico is going to work out. maybe they'll get fired up, maybe they'll wonder why the american who doesn't speak spanish is being portrayed as their national hero and support the weirdo macho goofball man who they already hear on their tee vee's insinuating his broadcast partners are homosexuals during UFC events

He speaks Spanish he's just not fluent, or at least not fluent like a native.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I don't watch boxing but friends who do have told me that Mexican American boxers are near-universally hated in Mexico and if they want to hype a native American they'll match him against a Mexican American for that reason. Is that actually true, and is there any reason it wouldn't work this way in Mexico?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't watch boxing but friends who do have told me that Mexican American boxers are near-universally hated in Mexico and if they want to hype a native American they'll match him against a Mexican American for that reason. Is that actually true, and is there any reason it wouldn't work this way in Mexico?

De la Hoya/Chavez is, I think, the most notorious example of this, but my understanding is that it has less to do with nationality than with social class. Mexican Americans tend to be (at least viewed as) wealthier and somehow not having shared in the "life loving sucks" experience that most Mexican boxers have had. I've heard more than once that the Marco Antonio Barrera/Erik Morales rivalry split along similar lines to DLH/Chavez, but both boxers are Mexican.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

my girlfriend is a racist mexicana and she stated it as if you're born in the USA you're an american regardless of ethnicity, where your parents are from, etc. so an american dude being hyped up as a mexican is viewed as a bit insulting

she also stated that renan barao looks like a monkey and his victory dance reinforces this and named her chocolate lab tyson because "he's going to be big, is black and bites ears". so she might not be the best source of information on race related matters

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Insinuating your cohost is gay is one of the staples of latin american sports broadcasting, for some reason.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I have a Canadian First Nations girlfriend who says all white people smell funny, don't shower, and apparently thinks they all look the same because she's pointed out like 15 fighters over the years she says look just like Stephan Bonnar. God I love her. She loves Hendo and gets genuinely mad if I talk like she has a crush on Mike Goldberg.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

having a racist girlfriend from another country and culture is the most fulfilling part of my life, hands down

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

LobsterMobster posted:

Some TUF 20 news:

Out:

Page Van Zant - too young
Juliana Lima - don't speak English
Claudia Gadelha - didn't want to cut weight a million times

At tryouts:

Should be interesting to see who makes the last 8.

According to Jeremy Botter, Aisling Daly and Jessica Penne absolutely tore poo poo up at tryouts. Which makes sense I guess, since they were the two best on paper. So they're both in. I haven't been able to find out much else other than Dana White was pretty adamant about how it's not really fair for girls with "one or two fights" to have to face some of the stronger fighters, and he made some comments about some girls needing to fix their records (Karina Taylor was one).

So you can probably eliminate anyone with 1 pro win or less, which is exactly a dozen people. More stuff should come out from the tryouts and I'm looking into it.

DekeThornton posted:

I guess Penne should make the house easily enough. Are any of the others any good?

Nina Ansaroff and Michelle Ould are both Top 10 Flyweights (and both under contract to Invicta), furthering the exodus from that division. Dana White confirmed that part of the reason they did Strawweights was specifically to prevent division hopping, and he stated that they wouldn't be adding anything else "for a long time" which in Dana-speak is at least a month. Also, they confirmed they'd be taking two alternates in addition to eight open spots.

Anyway, I took a look at the roster, and this is what I came up with:

Locks to be on the show:
●Aisling Daly (14-5)
●Jessica Penne (11-2)

Really likely:
●Nina Ansaroff (6-3) top 10 Flyweight and would have been put in an Invicta title-eliminator if she stayed there. Really small for Flyweight so size shouldn't be an issue.
●Justine Kish (4-0) former MT world champion, Russian immigrant, may have a bit of trouble with the weight cut.
●Heather Jo Clark (6-4) was BFFs with Roxy Modafferi, has a rather nasty rivalry with Felice Herrig. Blocked Yuriy on twitter pre-emptively.

Would be really likely if she passes the background check:
●Michelle Ould (7-3, 2 NC) top 10 Flyweight, under contract to Invicta. Doesn't understand why "Brown Pride" is less controversial than "White Pride".

Solid veterans and quality prospects:
●Lisa Ellis (15-8) long-time veteran, natural Atomweight, high-level grappler and the opponent Megumi Fujii said she feared the most going into the Bellator Strawweight tournament (she got armbarred by Fujii in 99 seconds in the semifinals but still).
●Randa Markos (4-1) Canadian person. Only loss is to Justine Kish.
●Angela Magana (11-6) Was on the Ultimate Women's Challenge reality show. Has a tendency to piss off motherfucking everyone.
●Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger (3-1)
●Claire Fryer (4-1) Australian. Friend of Bec Rawlings. Only loss is to Alex Chambers.
●Sarah Schneider-Chance (6-6) .500 record but her career strength-of-schedule has been ridiculous, including wins over Julie Kedzie and Kaitlin Young.
●Audrey Alvarez (2-0) Has a win over okay BW Anita Rodriguez, and an amateur win over high-level SW prospect Amber Stautzenberger.

Middle of the road:
●Kathina Catron (4-3) Invicta Strawweight
●Angelica Chavez (4-2) Atomweight
●Amy Montenegro (3-0)
●Tyra Parker (3-4)
●Diana Rael (5-3) Atomweight

The rest you can probably ignore although Eriksson Lau at Bloody Elbow seems high on Tessa Simpson (3-1).

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Man TUF 20's about to be hella cool.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

maffew buildings posted:

and named her chocolate lab tyson because "he's going to be big, is black and bites ears". so she might not be the best source of information on race related matters

This isn't racist, it is awesome

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Bean Fried posted:

According to Jeremy Botter, Aisling Daly and Jessica Penne absolutely tore poo poo up at tryouts. Which makes sense I guess, since they were the two best on paper. So they're both in. I haven't been able to find out much else other than Dana White was pretty adamant about how it's not really fair for girls with "one or two fights" to have to face some of the stronger fighters, and he made some comments about some girls needing to fix their records (Karina Taylor was one).

So you can probably eliminate anyone with 1 pro win or less, which is exactly a dozen people. More stuff should come out from the tryouts and I'm looking into it.

Nina Ansaroff and Michelle Ould are both Top 10 Flyweights (and both under contract to Invicta), furthering the exodus from that division. Dana White confirmed that part of the reason they did Strawweights was specifically to prevent division hopping, and he stated that they wouldn't be adding anything else "for a long time" which in Dana-speak is at least a month. Also, they confirmed they'd be taking two alternates in addition to eight open spots.

Anyway, I took a look at the roster, and this is what I came up with:

Locks to be on the show:
●Aisling Daly (14-5)
●Jessica Penne (11-2)

Really likely:
●Nina Ansaroff (6-3) top 10 Flyweight and would have been put in an Invicta title-eliminator if she stayed there. Really small for Flyweight so size shouldn't be an issue.
●Justine Kish (4-0) former MT world champion, Russian immigrant, may have a bit of trouble with the weight cut.
●Heather Jo Clark (6-4) was BFFs with Roxy Modafferi, has a rather nasty rivalry with Felice Herrig. Blocked Yuriy on twitter pre-emptively.

Would be really likely if she passes the background check:
●Michelle Ould (7-3, 2 NC) top 10 Flyweight, under contract to Invicta. Doesn't understand why "Brown Pride" is less controversial than "White Pride".

Solid veterans and quality prospects:
●Lisa Ellis (15-8) long-time veteran, natural Atomweight, high-level grappler and the opponent Megumi Fujii said she feared the most going into the Bellator Strawweight tournament (she got armbarred by Fujii in 99 seconds in the semifinals but still).
●Randa Markos (4-1) Canadian person. Only loss is to Justine Kish.
●Angela Magana (11-6) Was on the Ultimate Women's Challenge reality show. Has a tendency to piss off motherfucking everyone.
●Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger (3-1)
●Claire Fryer (4-1) Australian. Friend of Bec Rawlings. Only loss is to Alex Chambers.
●Sarah Schneider-Chance (6-6) .500 record but her career strength-of-schedule has been ridiculous, including wins over Julie Kedzie and Kaitlin Young.
●Audrey Alvarez (2-0) Has a win over okay BW Anita Rodriguez, and an amateur win over high-level SW prospect Amber Stautzenberger.

Middle of the road:
●Kathina Catron (4-3) Invicta Strawweight
●Angelica Chavez (4-2) Atomweight
●Amy Montenegro (3-0)
●Tyra Parker (3-4)
●Diana Rael (5-3) Atomweight

The rest you can probably ignore although Eriksson Lau at Bloody Elbow seems high on Tessa Simpson (3-1).

I kinda hope both Lybarger twins make it on the house. CREEPY TWIN POWERS, ACTIVATE

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

LobsterMobster posted:

I kinda hope both Lybarger twins make it on the house. CREEPY TWIN POWERS, ACTIVATE
Yea, I'm wondering if their being twins will get them into the house (or get them a shot, anyway, they're having a fight-off are they not?) just due to the reality TV aspect.

Is one twin a lot better than the other? I notice Bean just mentioned one.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
my girlfriend is from lithuania and gets kind of nervous around black people, does that count? she also thinks chael is hot.

man people are gonna be fuckin weird about felice herrig when she's in ufc

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
This is totally out of nowhere, but sometimes I forget how intimidating Renan Barao's record looks on wikipedia. You just look at it and are like daaaaang that's a long green streak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renan_Bar%C3%A3o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

John Romero posted:

man people are gonna be fuckin weird about felice herrig when she's in ufc

too late.

• Locked thread