Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

DreamShipWrecked posted:

From what I have played so far it seems like they have gone for a more mundane approach to the bosses. Nothing as cool as the boss of Depths or anything like that.

You're kidding right? I mean, Gaping looked neat the first time you saw him, but then you realized he was an utter chump of a fight that is so boring you might as well skip him from then on.
I'm of the camp of preferring more humanoid bosses. I'll agree in that I wish their was more variety in the effective tactics for some bosses but all told I was never very impressed with DK1 "huge monster" boss fights. (DLC not included) Maybe we've just gotten to use to this genre of game. (also, I my judgement isn't complete since I haven't beaten DK2 yet)

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

radiant solaire posted:

What does increasing the poison/bleed stat on a weaopn do? Does it increase the duration or lower the hits needed to proc?

I think it mainly lowers the hits needed, wouldn't be surprised if it increased the duration too. Infuse a Ricard's Rapier with Poison and you'll love it.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I don't see what so amazing about Velstadt, unless he's got a super cool gimmick on NG+.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

I think it's catching on!

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.

Kimmalah posted:

I wasn't saying that the guy was wrong, I was saying that using the word "seethe" is not proof of anything and is a stretch. There's a ton of evidence in the game without having to bring idiotic semantics like "He said a common word that sounded sort of like some character's name" into it.

A lot of DS1 enemies had demon in their names, hint from the devs that the Smelter Demon is all of them reincarnated? :eyepop:

It might have fallen through the bridge, I've had loot from enemies fall through floors into inaccessible areas because it was wooden and full of holes. On the other hand my game bugged and I didn't get a pyromancy I was supposed to get as a quest reward. :mad:

The word "seethe" alone not, but when you talk to Tark, he clearly says that his master, driven by his jealousy of the things he lacked compared to his peers (scales...and well...legs) drove him mad, and locked himself in the library. And out of that madness and magical experimentation he created him and his chick. This is word by word the backstory of Seath. To me, the word "seeth" was used intentionally for that very reason, they sound the same.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Holy poo poo, I have had it up to here with the Executioner's Chariot. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do? I'm going typical melee sword and board, but I can't fight or block all the skeletons when I get into the alcoves and they keep drawing me out into the main path where the chariot can run me over and annihilate me in one shot.

I've died so much on this guy, all the rogues between the Undead Lockaway bonfire and the boss door have despawned,, which was not a thing I was aware could happen. Discoveries!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Llab posted:

So, I just accidentally killed Pate and Creighton at the same time. Am I screwed out of anything good?

The one who lived would have given you his set of armor. Pate's is just the warrior set from DS1, but Creighton's is a pretty cool Game of Thrones style knight armor thing.

Also you get a key that opens a room lower in Tseldora with a couple chests in it one of them is trapped

That's about it, so not a huge deal.

Oh also if you helped Creighton kill Pate (and didn't just watch) he gives you pate's ring. Can't remember which one it was though

If you just watch, he demands you give him the ring. If you don't he attacks you and you only get the ring, if you give it to him you get his armor but not the ring

Wild Knight posted:

Holy poo poo, I have had it up to here with the Executioner's Chariot. Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do? I'm going typical melee sword and board, but I can't fight or block all the skeletons when I get into the alcoves and they keep drawing me out into the main path where the chariot can run me over and annihilate me in one shot.

I've died so much on this guy, all the rogues between the Undead Lockaway bonfire and the boss door have despawned,, which was not a thing I was aware could happen. Discoveries!

Okay so obviously you have to hide in the alcoves and move your way through the ring. Move really fast, you're trying to get as far down the hall as you can each time the chariot passes. There are 2 necromancers which rez the skeletons, you need to kill them (or move so fast the skeletons can't really keep up). As soon as you reach the end of the ring, you can pull a switch and the chariot is destroyed, and then you just fight the horse 1 on 1. From there its easy. Its purely a matter of surviving the gauntlet until you get to the switch. So run as fast as you can. If you're having trouble with the skeletons, you can equip a shield and just hide in the alcove holding your shield up, it'll keep the skeletons back and when the chariot passes it'll crush all the skeletons. They'll come back though if you haven't killed the necromancers, but it makes it easier.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 29, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DreamShipWrecked posted:

From what I have played so far it seems like they have gone for a more mundane approach to the bosses. Nothing as cool as the boss of Depths or anything like that.

Is there any disadvantage to summoning friends just for the sake of sharing the love? Does it increase enemy health or split the souls?

Go fight the bosses in Huntsman's Copse and then ask yourself if they've all been mundane again.

Summoning friends increases boss health. It doesn't make the game harder though, and trivializes most fights.

Wild Knight posted:

Ignore the skeletons. Dash straight for the necromancers and kill them. If you run you can usually stay ahead of the skeletons since they'll keep getting run over by the chariot. The important thing is that you can't be afraid. If you are too slow, the skeletons will swarm you and then you're hosed. You have to keep moving, only ducking into an alcove at the very last moment. If you're good at dodging you can actually roll through the chariot's spike and take no damage.

Really, fighting the skeletons is a mistake. Only stop to kill the necromancers, there's only two of them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 29, 2014

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Wild Knight posted:

You know about the necromancers that you have to kill to keep the skeletons from respawning, right?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Wild Knight posted:

You need to pull the switch at the end of the tunnel. There's two necromancers in two of the alcoves near the end that are resurrecting the skeletons, kill them and let the chariot thin them out.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Ugh, just beat an invader who dropped 400k souls, how jacked is my SM now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doctor Zaius posted:

SM doesn't seem to be a huge deal on NG. 400k is a lot, but you can get that much quick in NG+ by doing lots of co-op.

LOL loving Dark Souls 1 everybody complains about losing souls. Dark Souls 2 everybody complains about getting souls :haw:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Zaius posted:

:shrug: Unless you are just starting the game or trying to co-op with a specific person, this will probably have very little impact other than giving you a head start on your soul levels.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Those "Get all spells" achievements are harsh. :saddowns:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

flowinprose posted:

You know about the necromancers that you have to kill to keep the skeletons from respawning, right?

I know they exist, but I haven't even gotten far enough in the tunnel to see them :(, though I've definitely seen them rezzing or buffing the skeletons.

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll give it another shot when I'm a little calmer (I'm not raging about this, I've just been having a pretty poo poo day. Maybe Dark Souls is not the right game to play after such a day.).

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I'm trying pvp for the first time by being a jerk trying to max out the rat covenant. It's really fun but the rats stopped spawning after I got to level 2, is that intended or is there some way to get them back?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Those "Get all spells" achievements are harsh. :saddowns:

At least you can do it in one playthrough now, last game required I think three unless someone just gave you the boss souls/weapons. Go try and get all the trophies in Demon's Souls without trading if you want to experience true suffering.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Wild Knight posted:

I know they exist, but I haven't even gotten far enough in the tunnel to see them :(, though I've definitely seen them rezzing or buffing the skeletons.

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll give it another shot when I'm a little calmer (I'm not raging about this, I've just been having a pretty poo poo day. Maybe Dark Souls is not the right game to play after such a day.).

When you get back to it, drop your summon sign and get summoned to practice for the fight. I've started doing this before every boss so I can learn the boss's gimmicks/patterns before I try to fight them properly.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

joe football posted:

I'm trying pvp for the first time by being a jerk trying to max out the rat covenant. It's really fun but the rats stopped spawning after I got to level 2, is that intended or is there some way to get them back?

It is intentional. Just like all other areas of the game, monsters stop spawning after they've been killed enough. You can burn a bonfire ascetic to respawn them, though I'm not sure if that makes you eligible for NG+ invaders.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

At least you can do it in one playthrough now, last game required I think three unless someone just gave you the boss souls/weapons. Go try and get all the trophies in Demon's Souls without trading if you want to experience true suffering.

?ou need at least 3 for this game too, right, since I don't think Bonfire Ascetic's enable the Chancellor to sell WoG, GCF, and Bountiful Sunlight. Or did they change that in a patch?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So I finally want to try some of this delicious dark souls action.
Should I start with the first one, or start on the second one directly?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Been doing my Champion's Covenant run, got into Iron Keep and noticed a ton of red summon signs on the bridge, so I decided to try dueling for a while. Turns out it's really hard when your most PvP-viable weapon is a +5 great club that you can't one-hand, and it takes 3-4 hits to kill any enemy (and you just barely have enough stamina for three hits) while a stiff breeze will stunlock you, not that it matters though because you'll die in two rapier pokes anyway. Oh, and pretty much everyone I managed to summon was running some variant of poke-y build.

Does the CC enemy defense/damage buff affect player phantoms too, by the way? It definitely affects NPC black phantoms.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Demon's Souls -> Dark Souls -> Dark Souls 2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So Dragonrider; even more pathetic than Pinwheel?

I mean at least Pinwheel isn't capable of killing himself.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Trip report: Bleeding Twinblade: Less of a force in PvP than I'd hoped for now. It strikes wide, but doesn't have reach, and the bleed damage appears to be a set amount rather than a percentage. PvE though, holy poo poo. You just rampage through tons of enemies because you proc bleed on them so quickly.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Wild Knight posted:

I would also make a few other recommendations:
1) Don't just stand around in an alcove. Get near one, and be sure you know exactly where it is, but hang around outside of it to make sure the skeletons are aren't all up in your face, then duck into it just as the chariot is coming.

2) I recommend against putting up your shield as the chariot is passing. It will NOT block any of the chariot's damage that I have seen, and in my experience it tends to increase the size of your hitbox and make it more likely that the chariot will clip you as it passes by.

3) After you kill the first necromancer, don't rush forward immediately. Take a breather and clear out the remaining nearby skeletons. The other skeletons further down the hallway will not come after you until you run far enough down to aggro them.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

I would recommend the first one. It has a tighter focus and the more "Dark Souls"-y atmosphere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

What about Prowling Magus? That's literally a trash mob with a fancy health bar.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
After Lost Sinner, can I go straight for Harvest Valley and Iron Keep if I want to get access to the higher tier upgrades as soon as I can? Around what SL should I tackle those two areas?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Azzents posted:

The guy with his back turned and his nose buried in a book? If you have the ring of whispers and talk to Manscorpion Tark he mentions that his master never dies and changes forms so that "he may seethe for all eternity" so it's implied that either the duke or Felja are Seath reincarnate.

Wasn't Seath's big thing in Anor Londo that since he lacked (gave up?) the scales that made him immortal like other dragons he went a bit batshit insane looking for a way to make himself immortal?

Being able to soul-hop from dragon to line of rulers to horrible mutant battle-tank spider sounds like an interesting workaround to that whole "mortality" deal.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

neetengie posted:

?ou need at least 3 for this game too, right, since I don't think Bonfire Ascetic's enable the Chancellor to sell WoG, GCF, and Bountiful Sunlight. Or did they change that in a patch?

You "can" do it in one playthrough. Bonfire Ascetics do not change his inventory, but those are all covenant rewards. The problem is they require 500 kills as a Blue Sentinel and Brotherhood of Blood member (as a blue/red phantom respectively). Also if you die/lose a BoB arena fight you lose 1 "kill", so that's 500 net kills, not gross.

e: To be honest I am surprised this game has been out as long as it has without receiving covenant nerfs akin to what Dark Souls 1 received. The +3 rewards are nowhere near worth the time investment.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

tonberrytoby posted:

Just jump into Dark Souls 2, you do not need to have played the previous ones to enjoy this.

Go back if you want once you're done with this DaS 2.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

neetengie posted:

:ssh: You can get those from covenant rewards in NG, but it takes a while.

Edit: beaten a couple posts up... this thread moves way too fast

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

What about Prowling Magus? That's literally a trash mob with a fancy health bar.

I completely forgot that boss existed. Yeah he's probably the biggest chump in this game, especially given how late he shows up.

When I fought him I cast toxic mist and basically killed everything without lifting a finger.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Still better than grinding for materials in Demon's Souls.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

The saddest part about Pinwheel is that in a normal playthrough you will get to him late enough into the game that you will likely 1-2 shot him. At least with Dragonrider you would reasonably fight him pretty early on where he might take at least a little punishment (as long as you don't cause him to suicide).

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

two others posted:

Covenant rewards

Yeah, I know, but depending if a person is good at PvP or not or they don't have the patience for it, getting those spells would be faster by just playing through NG++.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Wasn't Seath's big thing in Anor Londo that since he lacked (gave up?) the scales that made him immortal like other dragons he went a bit batshit insane looking for a way to make himself immortal?

Being able to soul-hop from dragon to line of rulers to horrible mutant battle-tank spider sounds like an interesting workaround to that whole "mortality" deal.

Seath had the crystal of immortality but some rear end in a top hat destroyed it.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
By the way, you don't get awestones for winning red soapstone duels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

neetengie posted:

Yeah, I know, but depending if a person is good at PvP or not or they don't have the patience for it, getting those spells would be faster by just playing through NG++.

Of course it's faster, significantly faster at that. Even if you're the best PVPer in the world that is, bare minimum, 1000 sessions of PVP. But it isn't absolutely necessary to do NG+(+[...]) like it was in Dark Souls 1 for Knight's Honor from multi-use boss souls.