Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

dalaamprince posted:

Have you pre-ordered the reissue? I'm thinking about it but $40 is steep.

It's back available to pre-order? Thanks for letting me know, I've been after this for long enough that that seems cheap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Lion Charge 005 repressing just went up on redeye. Just reserved my copy.

Dat Kush
Aug 21, 2007

presidential shit

Blast Fantasto posted:

Y'all need to wise up and listen to the The Harder they Come soundtrack.

That's got nothing on The Rockers soundtrack though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It's just Rockers, and yeah it's pretty good but it's not the timeless classic all time best selling deal that The Harder They Come is.

I might be biased though... THTC is the only record I have two copies of.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Long time since I posted in this thread, not much to post from here on complaints about record prices/gouging or soundtracks but thanks for the heads up on the Danger release. Saw that guy a few years ago in Paris at the Social Club and he went on with his funny mask at 4am and I met some awesome Parisian kids who were all stoked because he never plays, I didn't even know his old EPs were ever pressed.
As far as favourite soundtracks mine would probably be Jack Nitzche- One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and I don't even own a copy of it. 'Round Midnight is also an awesome film with an awesome soundtrack where most of the musicians are actually in the film. Same with Krush Groove, which I regularly spin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57HM5vIEur8 Hancock, Dexter Gordon, Freddie Hubbard, Ron Carter killin' it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCGCxuESM-c Beastie Boys not killin' it(RIP MCA)
I'm also a big fan of Giorgio Moroder and his film scores, Midnight Express is great won him an academy award while Cat People flopped as a film but has a good David Bowie single. Found the LP in a thrift store a while back and just recently found the 45 single for a buck at the local record sale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpdHMaccjw4
I'll try to contribute some more recent buys/RSD/cheap scores to keep the positive attitude flowing. I never thought I'd really say this but here's a picture of an awesome picture disc I picked up. Thurston Moore-Trees Outside the Academy

(I also eventually cleaned up that giant pile of records)

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
http://modern-vinyl.com/2014/04/29/jurassic-park-pressing-details-revealed/

Jurassic part pressing details have been released. That T-Rex cover art really does look dumb. I want the amber vinyl but I think I'm going to go for the black / splatter just for that better cover.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

No matter how closely I study it,
No matter how I take it apart,
No matter how I break it down,

I just can't see how someone could consider that cover "dumb". It looks like an homage to both the original covers for the Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park: The Lost World books.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

New trophy scars out on the 6th

http://monotremerecords.limitedrun.com/products/524766

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

No matter how closely I study it,
No matter how I take it apart,
No matter how I break it down,

I just can't see how someone could consider that cover "dumb". It looks like an homage to both the original covers for the Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park: The Lost World books.

To me it's just that he's posed exactly like this guy and it looks ridiculous.

Also, see that sticker? That grand design, loved by all? Which they apparently licensed and decided not use in favor of Dinosaur Comics guy?

I like that design. This looks dumb. It doesn't capture Jurassic Park, the film, in any way.

I mean, I'm not even buying it (not because of the cover, I already have the picture disc) but I don't mind pointing out it's a bad cover.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I would love an actual Dinosaur Comics cover, but I think you may just be grasping at straws by saying that the cover is posed like that. And I appreciate that they didn't just slap the logo on there. Sure its iconic, but there are already issues of that soundtrack with that logo. This sets it apart and at least shows that they didn't just go the easy route with the release by choosing the obvious.

It looks pretty similar to this

WASDF fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 29, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also they are Mondo, contractually obligated to use some art from their own sweatshop. The logo was never going to happen. I do like the brachiosaurus cover at least, but I list after the amber disc.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
The artist for the Jurassic Park sleeve with the skeleton is Dan Mccarthy, who is both a favorite artist of mine, and the drummer for the group Helms (if you like Slint, check them out). He has done a lot with dino skeletons, and y'all should be ashamed for not liking it.

http://www.danmccarthy.org/

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I had forgotten that the book cover looked like that. Honestly my opinion of it would be a little better if the legs weren't posed that way, which made me think of 'Dinosaur Comics' immediately. Really want that JP Gate gatefold art though, hot drat

edit: Just realized that the gatefold art on the T-Rex cover is the same pose, only 'alive'. Kinda neat.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 29, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dr. Lenin posted:

I had forgotten that the book cover looked like that. Honestly my opinion of it would be a little better if the legs weren't posed that way, which made me think of 'Dinosaur Comics' immediately.

At least it's not just me.

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008

Dr. Lenin posted:

http://modern-vinyl.com/2014/04/29/jurassic-park-pressing-details-revealed/

Jurassic part pressing details have been released. That T-Rex cover art really does look dumb. I want the amber vinyl but I think I'm going to go for the black / splatter just for that better cover.

Ugh I'd pay $5 extra to guarantee I'd get the Dilophosaurus splatter ugh.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like both of those dinosaur covers, but can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want a John Williams record. Just not something I'd ever sit down to listen to. Full disclosure: I own a Close Encounters soundtrack, but I got it for the disco remix 45.

Thrift store finds today: A beautiful Speaking In Tongues, Adam and The Ants' Kings of the Wild Frontier UK first pressing with all the stickers and poo poo included, an Abbey Road repress, a Magical Mystery Tour repress (with that funky late-70's Capitol label), couple of Stones records (incl. a mono Out of Our Heads that I think is a first press, need to check the runout), some Ike and Tina. Pretty good haul for 15 bucks.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i for one am extremely disappointed by the art direction of this soundtrack vinyl

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

stay depressed posted:

i for one am extremely disappointed by the art direction of this soundtrack vinyl

I also have DVDs with really lovely cover work. I might comment on it. Madness, I know.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dalaamprince posted:

Have you pre-ordered the reissue? I'm thinking about it but $40 is steep.

Take a look at what original copies go for.

BigFactory posted:

I like both of those dinosaur covers, but can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want a John Williams record.

Because people like the music?

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Fors Yard posted:

The artist for the Jurassic Park sleeve with the skeleton is Dan Mccarthy, who is both a favorite artist of mine, and the drummer for the group Helms (if you like Slint, check them out). He has done a lot with dino skeletons, and y'all should be ashamed for not liking it.

http://www.danmccarthy.org/

Has he seen the movie? It takes place in a jungle, not a forest outside Portland.

quote:

Mondo’s release of the Jurassic Park soundtrack has been revealed, along with the detailed art of both release versions. The John Williams score will be broken down into two versions, one with artwork by JC Richard and another with art by Dan McCarthy. The latter, which features 180-gram amber-colored vinyl, will be limited to 1,000 copies. The Richard version will be on both 180-gram black vinyl and 180-gram “Dilophosaurus” vinyl (which is randomly inserted).

Fuuuuuuuck Mondoooooooo.

Actually I don't know why anyone's complaining. It's only going to be available through their site, so the odds of any of us getting one are slim to nil, regardless of color/artwork.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

stay depressed posted:

fukin mental innit

Dogen
May 5, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

Has he seen the movie? It takes place in a jungle, not a forest outside Portland.

Fuuuuuuuck Mondoooooooo.

Actually I don't know why anyone's complaining. It's only going to be available through their site, so the odds of any of us getting one are slim to nil, regardless of color/artwork.

Or apparently at a listening party at the gallery a few days early, yay

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The cover art can be a pile of dinosaur poo poo for all I care, I just want the loving thing to sound good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I can't be the only one who thinks John Williams has been recycling the same predictable, safe, commercial score for the past 35 years, can I? For me this would be like getting excited for a really big, expensive bottle of Pepsi. Or a limited edition chicken sandwich at Burger King. Maybe I'm weird.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BigFactory posted:

For me this would be like getting excited for a really big, expensive bottle of Pepsi. Or a limited edition chicken sandwich at Burger King. Maybe I'm weird.

Sounds about right. Combine that with the cheesy Mondo hype machine and :byewhore:

Snowy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 30, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks John Williams has been recycling the same predictable, safe, commercial score for the past 35 years, can I? For me this would be like getting excited for a really big, expensive bottle of Pepsi. Or a limited edition chicken sandwich at Burger King. Maybe I'm weird.

A lot of film composers use similar techniques or motifs through out their different works. What's your point? Is it possible that John Williams seems "safe and predictable" because he's produced a number of iconic scores that are great examples of the industry in general?

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

dalaamprince posted:

Ugh I'd pay $5 extra to guarantee I'd get the Dilophosaurus splatter ugh.

That's not good enough for Mondo. They want people buying 5+ copies and in hopes of maybe getting the variant.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

That's not good enough for Mondo. They want people buying 5+ copies and in hopes of maybe getting the variant.

I was reading the comments on the article posted earlier and a few people were talking about how they weren't going to bother playing the record and "I'll just wait until I can buy on on ebay so I get the color I want".

Why even bother?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
That Dinosaur Jr 7" set for RSD can now be bought direct from the label:

http://www.numerogroup.com/products/dinosaur-jr-visitors

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CPL593H posted:

Why even bother?

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

I was reading the comments on the article posted earlier and a few people were talking about how they weren't going to bother playing the record and "I'll just wait until I can buy on on ebay so I get the color I want".

Why even bother?

I wish I had that kind of money.

But death to collectors who don't spin their records.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

jesus christ just watch jurassic park

here's stuff I bought this week :siren: NOT SOUNDTRACK RELATED :siren:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

A lot of film composers use similar techniques or motifs through out their different works. What's your point? Is it possible that John Williams seems "safe and predictable" because he's produced a number of iconic scores that are great examples of the industry in general?

A McDonald's hamburger is a great example of the fast food industry - it's safe (in the sense of it's not challenging. Actual safety is debatable), it's predictable, and it's the same every time with slight variation. It does its job very very well, and there's something admirable about that in the context of the industry.

But the idea, to me, of sitting down in a nicely appointed dining room, lights low, to savor an expensive limited edition McDonald's hamburger is weird to me. It's especially weird to think of someone saying they don't care about the fancy hamburger wrapper, it's that meat that they really want to dig into. Savoring a schlocky John Williams re-tread is just as weird (to me). I don't hate John Williams, he does his job perfectly and makes a ton of money for himself and his corporate benefactors. And I think he's had some actual pretty good compositions over the years, Schindler's List comes to mind. But divorcing his music from the movie and putting it in some artificially scarce format for an absurd amount of money raises my eyebrows.

Someone could easily, in almost any market, buy 15-50 great sounding used classical LPs for the cost of one Jurassic Park record. But collecting things is weird and illogical, I get that too, so whatever. I always grab those 60's Nonesuch records with the day-glo covers when I see them, usually regardless of condition or quality (I've passed on some super beaters). Some of the recordings are really pedestrian or kinda low-fi (which isn't really what you're going for when you listen to classical music). But I think the covers are neat and the history of the label is neat, and they're like $.50 or $1 each.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Listen to the most iconic theme music of the past 20 years and remember why we loving loved Jurassic Park as a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w-58hQ9dLk

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I would have liked to have the original release of Williams' The Mission on record. Since it was commissioned by NBC there was no reason for audition discs like regular library music.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

kirkjames posted:

Hell Yea :waycool:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

kirkjames posted:

yaaaa, i definitely almost died at the last govt warning show it was wild as hell

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kirkjames posted:

How's that pharmakon record? I saw her open for Godflesh a few weeks ago and dug her set a lot.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

How's that pharmakon record? I saw her open for Godflesh a few weeks ago and dug her set a lot.

It's really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the best! she is a master of her craft and it's the type of record that you can tell she spent a lot of time getting the most out of her sounds and ambience without anything dragging on too long. I just don't have the time for 2 LPs of hellish soundscapes these days. I wish I would have grabbed the special edition LP with the cassette of extra material when it was first released but I slept on it and now they're like $75.