Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'd like Irish Joe more if people stopped quoting him so I could forget that he exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

His argument seems to be, basically, the Invisible Hand of the Market- the good channels will be popular and succeed, the bad ones will die off. Even though "good" and "bad" have nothing to do with what's popular and unpopular.

I can't believe people are this dense. The cable companies and networks want you to believe that a la carte service will destroy television as we know it, cost the industry billions of dollars and fail to provide any cost savings to consumers. They are lying to you. Right now, what channels you have access to are dictated by your cable company. If a channel you want isn't available in Bumfuck Iowa, tough poo poo, there's nothing you can do about it because the cable company is a monopoly. What are you going to do, not watch television? Cable companies love this arrangement because it gives them power not only over you, but also over the media companies whose products they distribute to the consumer. The big media companies love this arrangement as well because they only have to market new channels to cable executives and it effectively bars start-up media companies from the market. Consumers hate it because it artificially suppresses supply, limiting choice and raising prices.

A la carte programming changes all that. Instead of selling channels to cable companies, they're sold directly to consumers with the cable company acting only as middleman. Yes, some channels will fail, but others will thrive in their place. More importantly, though, the consumer is empowered to make decisions for himself. You like choice, right? You like freedom? You like democracy? If so, then you should support a la carte.

Its funny, but a common talking point on these boards is how republican voters are tricked into voting against their best interests. Well, here you guys are, fighting and arguing against your best interests and for what? The Oprah Channel?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat, don't ever spoil GoT if you know what's good for you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

An a la carte system will not force every provider to carry every channel

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy loving poo poo, stop responding

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
:qq: My name is MrAristocrates and I'm a huge crybaby! How dare people talk about television in the television thread :qq:

Aphrodite posted:

An a la carte system will not force every provider to carry every channel

It would make sense for cable companies to carry as many channels as possible if they made a cut on subscriptions. You're right that they wouldn't have everything, but there would definitely be more channels available under a la carte than there are today.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 29, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Irish Joe posted:

I can't believe people are this dense. The cable companies and networks want you to believe that a la carte service will destroy television as we know it, cost the industry billions of dollars and fail to provide any cost savings to consumers. They are lying to you. Right now, what channels you have access to are dictated by your cable company. If a channel you want isn't available in Bumfuck Iowa, tough poo poo, there's nothing you can do about it because the cable company is a monopoly. What are you going to do, not watch television? Cable companies love this arrangement because it gives them power not only over you, but also over the media companies whose products they distribute to the consumer. The big media companies love this arrangement as well because they only have to market new channels to cable executives and it effectively bars start-up media companies from the market. Consumers hate it because it artificially suppresses supply, limiting choice and raising prices.

A la carte programming changes all that. Instead of selling channels to cable companies, they're sold directly to consumers with the cable company acting only as middleman. Yes, some channels will fail, but others will thrive in their place. More importantly, though, the consumer is empowered to make decisions for himself. You like choice, right? You like freedom? You like democracy? If so, then you should support a la carte.

Its funny, but a common talking point on these boards is how republican voters are tricked into voting against their best interests. Well, here you guys are, fighting and arguing against your best interests and for what? The Oprah Channel?

I won't argue the virtues of a theoretical a la carte system anymore, because you'll just ignore it. It's debating over a system that will never exist. The closest thing we'll see to a la carte is cable companies selling channels in blocks. You'll buy AMC, and it will come with 3-4 poo poo channels you'll never watch. You'll end up with fewer channels that you actually care about, because you can't justify those edge cases any longer, and you'll pay more. There, that's the future.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

:qq: My name is MrAristocrates and I'm a huge crybaby! How dare people talk about television in the television thread :qq:

I'm pretty sure he's 17yo, a child by every definition. Heck, he called me a "loving scumbag" for retaining more high school History class after a decade than he does while going to it five days a week. Just ignore his angst over his voice not dropping yet, or whatever is fueling his constant dramatic fits.

Irish Joe posted:

They are lying to you. Right now, what channels you have access to are dictated by your cable company.

Even if you're completely right about all else, the cable companies and service providers aren't suddenly going to be copacetic to their customers all paying half of what they used to.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a coaxial cable whipping a human face - forever.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Seams posted:

:siren: LAZY WRITING :siren:

"Lazy writing" is definitely an overused term here, but it's not meaningless. When people say that, what they should be saying instead is either "cliche-ridden", "full of stupid inaccurate stereotypes", "things that only happen on TV and have never been a thing in the real world", "narrative shortcuts that shortchange drama and make little sense", "a predictable plot twist telegraphed early and far too often", "a plot twist with no build up at all designed only for shock value", "a nakedly obvious cliffhanger with an equally obvious resolution", "the character's big secret is exactly what you would have guessed it was on first appearance", etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's interesting is Verizon has already started preliminary negotiations on the back end to make a la carte a reality for at least themselves. About mid 2013, they were starting to approach channel providers about a system where what they paid for carriage fees was based not on the number of subscribers in a package, but by the number of subscribers that actually tuned in to the channel for a particular span of time.

It is possible such deals are in place by now (hard to tell since carriage deals aren't public.) However, if such a system does become common, it won't really matter if a la carte is made available to the end user as far as the economic implications to the channels involved.

Honestly, a lot of this debate depends on how much of a network's revenue is obtained by carriage fees and how much is obtained by advertising. If the vast majority of the revenue is advertising dollars, it really doesn't matter a ton if MSOs are forced to bundle channels or not. Show ratings determine advertising rates and if something isn't watched, it's not going to make a ton of ad revenue regardless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spatula City posted:

"Lazy writing" is definitely an overused term here, but it's not meaningless. When people say that, what they should be saying instead is either "cliche-ridden", "full of stupid inaccurate stereotypes", "things that only happen on TV and have never been a thing in the real world", "narrative shortcuts that shortchange drama and make little sense", "a predictable plot twist telegraphed early and far too often", "a plot twist with no build up at all designed only for shock value", "a nakedly obvious cliffhanger with an equally obvious resolution", "the character's big secret is exactly what you would have guessed it was on first appearance", etc.

Hmmm it's almost as if saying "lazy writing" is a lazy shortcut for people that don't know how to articulate their problems with something. While lazy writing can mean those things you say (and if it can mean all those things you say lazy as an umbrella term is meaningless) nine times out of ten it means "I didn't like it and rather than saying that I'm going to try and pretend it's objectively bad but I lack the critical vocab to properly bullshit an answer."

Anyways, I'm over lazy writing, my new crusade is against the word "hamfisted".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh quote edit bullshit...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That preview for The Leftovers looks much better than the show will probably end up being - I hope I'm wrong, but the trailer had too many quick cuts of sex that seemed to hint at some big arc or point to the show will be "let's have fun while dad's away" type poo poo.

However, the weird cult of people in white looked awesome, with the appropriately weird sign in their headquarters that said "WE DON'T SMOKE BECAUSE WE ENJOY IT, WE SMOKE TO DEMONSTRATE OUR FAITH" :wtc:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
If I am a production company and I have a tv show I'm shopping around, what exactly am I selling? Just the distribution rights? Or the show and all IP generated from the show as well?

Example: SomethingAwful Productions (SAP) produced a pilot for a TVIV show. This is then picked up by CBS and a catchphrase by the lead - OldSenileGuy - gets popular and shirts and crap are made with that likeness. Who owns that end of the business? SAP or CBS?

Nystral fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 29, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nystral posted:

If I am a production company and I have a tv show I'm shopping around, what exactly am I selling? Just the distribution rights? Or the show and all IP generated from the show as well?

Example: SomethingAwful Productions (SAP) produced a pilot for a TVIV show. This is then picked up by CBS and a catchphrase by the lead - OldSenileGuy - gets popular and shirts and crap are made with that likeness. Who owns that end of the business?

Just the first airing rights I'm pretty sure, otherwise production companies wouldn't be able to shop shows around for syndication.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

That preview for The Leftovers looks much better than the show will probably end up being - I hope I'm wrong, but the trailer had too many quick cuts of sex that seemed to hint at some big arc or point to the show will be "let's have fun while dad's away" type poo poo.

However, the weird cult of people in white looked awesome, with the appropriately weird sign in their headquarters that said "WE DON'T SMOKE BECAUSE WE ENJOY IT, WE SMOKE TO DEMONSTRATE OUR FAITH" :wtc:

Usually, HBO shows are real good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i fuckin knew mraristocrates was under 18

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was listening to back episodes of the podcast Welcome to Night Vale and Jasika Nicole from Fringe guest stars in one episode, which was pretty cool. She plays intern Dana (or intern Dana's double) and somehow gets a message back to Night Vale from beyond the Dog Park and upon the mountain with the flashing light.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just wanna let you UK goons know that UK netflix has the first two season of Person of Interest up if you were interested by it but skipped it cause its a pain and the rear end to catch up to. I'll defer to DP and Occ to ramble about posting guides for it. Thank you that is all bye.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zaggitz posted:

Just wanna let you UK goons know that UK netflix has the first two season of Person of Interest up if you were interested by it but skipped it cause its a pain and the rear end to catch up to. I'll defer to DP and Occ to ramble about posting guides for it. Thank you that is all bye.

Here's all you need to know. The end of episode 4 is where it shows promise, but 7 is where the show takes off. If you're not sold by 13 you probably never will be, and the very end of 22 is your first hint at what the show is REALLY about, expressed through a needledrop up there with "Watchtower" on BSG.

Let the backlash begin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zaggitz posted:

Oh god, this is how it starts :negative:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Battlestar Galactica wasn't very good anyway.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rarity posted:

Oh god, this is how it starts :negative:
Yes, watch POI Rarity, join us in the sun!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

POI is one of my favorite shows. And to think I only started watching it because it had Ben Linus.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

GreenNight posted:

POI is one of my favorite shows. And to think I only started watching it because it had Ben Linus.
I think most of us did.

Benjamin Linus and Jesus as Batman.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always liked him best in Count of Monte Cristo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lindsay Lohan is a better actor than Jesus

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Lindsay Lohan is a better actor than Jesus

This was actually true ten years ago.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bown posted:

All you had to do was Google his real name, Michael Raristocrates.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FactsAreUseless posted:

All you had to do was Google his real name, Michael Raristocrates.

One time I tried to google him and all I got was a reddit full of nerds who seem very angry indeed about "females." :ohdear:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thread for the adorable Jessica StClair and Lennon Parham show - Playing House (Tonight at 10 on USA!)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
This can only be good:

quote:

Starz has given a two-season, 20-episode order to a live-action comedy from Seth MacFarlane and scribe Jonathan Ames to star Patrick Stewart.

“Blunt Talk” will be produced by Media Rights Capital and targeted to premiere next year. Stewart will play a British newscaster, Walter Blunt, who comes to America to conquer cable news. Starz’s significant commitment to the project that was shopped to pay-TV outlets, including Netflix and Showtime, signals the cabler’s interest in building a lineup of half-hour comedies.

“In the character of Walter Blunt, Seth, Jonathan and Patrick have found the alchemy that makes a borderline alcoholic, mad-genius-Brit the man you want fighting in America’s corner,” Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said. “Seth and Jonathan have struck the right balance between biting wit and outright absurdity in building this world, and we cannot wait for Patrick to breathe life into Walter.”

Ames created the series and will serve as showrunner. MacFarlane will exec produce through his Fuzzy Door Prods. The show will not be produced through 20th Century Fox TV, where MacFarlane has the bulk of his TV projects. MRC is in business with MacFarlane on the feature side with “Ted” and its upcoming sequel and the hyphenate’s latest project, “A Million Ways to Die in the West.”

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I only needed to see "starring Patrick Stewart".

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Good, the Newsroom is ending this season and all the refugees from that thread will need another show about cable news to complain about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm just not going to pass judgment until I see the drat thing. MacFarlane is so insanely inconsistent there's no point presuming it will be either good or bad.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JohnSherman posted:

Good, the Newsroom is ending this season and all the refugees from that thread will need another show about cable news to complain about.

At least this one will be good. Johnathan Ames is responsible for Bored to Death, and Patrick Stewart is awesome, and so there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm just not going to pass judgment until I see the drat thing. MacFarlane is so insanely inconsistent there's no point presuming it will be either good or bad.

As long as he's not writing it should be fine. American Dad is great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yoshifan823 posted:

At least this one will be good. Johnathan Ames is responsible for Bored to Death, and Patrick Stewart is awesome, and so there.

Yeah, I mean "written by Jonathan Ames and starring Patrick Stewart" is more than enough to override any concerns about McFarlane's minimal involvement. Bored to Death was one of the best written comedies in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bown posted:

What's the story behind this then?

• Locked thread