Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Speaking of Pinwheel, check this amazing write up.

gently caress the lore owns so hard.

http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1cyukf/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So on my Sunbro character I'm basically throwing lightning spears of many varieties nonstop and sometimes sunlight blade, are there any rad miracles I'm missing out on that aren't hella situational?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Wild Knight posted:

I know they exist, but I haven't even gotten far enough in the tunnel to see them :(, though I've definitely seen them rezzing or buffing the skeletons.

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll give it another shot when I'm a little calmer (I'm not raging about this, I've just been having a pretty poo poo day. Maybe Dark Souls is not the right game to play after such a day.).

I know you're playing a sword/board dude but if you by any chance you have the stats for it, casting the Yearn sorcery pretty much as soon as you exit the fog will keep the skeletons distracted and off your back long enough to get to at least the first necromancer. Cast again as needed.

Otherwise, I think Alluring Skulls do the same thing basically, so you might try tossing those down?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

So on my Sunbro character I'm basically throwing lightning spears of many varieties nonstop and sometimes sunlight blade, are there any rad miracles I'm missing out on that aren't hella situational?

Not really. Hexes, Great/Resonant Soul in particular, are really good but if you don't have a decent amount of Int they'll probably be sub-par.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Internet Kraken posted:

So Dragonrider; even more pathetic than Pinwheel?

I mean at least Pinwheel isn't capable of killing himself.

Eh, not really. I'd say he's more like the Gaping Dragon, except without the initial, steep learning curve but on the other hand not being quite as braindead easy when you figure him out. So really not at all like the Gaping Dragon, but also not at all like Pinwheel either so whatever man.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Manatee Cannon posted:

At least you can do it in one playthrough now, last game required I think three unless someone just gave you the boss souls/weapons. Go try and get all the trophies in Demon's Souls without trading if you want to experience true suffering.

Uhhh, in theory you can in practice you can't. Getting all spells, if you mean Sorceries+Pyromancies+Hexes+Miracles, would require getting Wrath of the Gods. Which means getting 150 points in the Blue Sentinels Covenant.

Which is basically impossible outside of NG+ :shepicide:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artificer posted:

After Lost Sinner, can I go straight for Harvest Valley and Iron Keep if I want to get access to the higher tier upgrades as soon as I can? Around what SL should I tackle those two areas?

the 4 big souls or whatever are pretty nonlinear so do whatever you want to do

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

bef posted:

the 4 big souls or whatever are pretty nonlinear so do whatever you want to do

Sounds good then. Huntsman's Copse is next then because that will eventually lead to more upgrades! :toot:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A reddit user created a tool to backup your saves in intervals incase you encounter a hacker that drops 95393939393 souls.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/242ev3/pc_soul_saver_ds2_save_file_backup_tool/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tonberrytoby posted:

So I finally want to try some of this delicious dark souls action.
Should I start with the first one, or start on the second one directly?

Either way. All 3 in the series are amazing.

Demon's would probably be the hardest to start on. Dark 2 is easier in some ways than D1 and harder in other ways.

Just get one and go for it.

Good luck :)

Artificer posted:

After Lost Sinner, can I go straight for Harvest Valley and Iron Keep if I want to get access to the higher tier upgrades as soon as I can? Around what SL should I tackle those two areas?

You could do Harvest Valley and Iron Keep long before Lost Sinner.

The answer is whatever SL you're at right now. Just go do them if you want to :)

The whole first half of the game is remarkably non-linear.

Pwnstar posted:

There's a self/group attack and defense buff spell. Can't remember where you get it, though...

Mostly lightning spears, emit force, and sunlight blade.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 29, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Hey guys, you'll have to start with Super Mario Bros. 1 before even attempting New Super Mario Bros. 3D Land"

That is what you're saying.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artificer posted:

Sounds good then. Huntsman's Copse is next then because that will eventually lead to more upgrades! :toot:

you still gotta find the guy that does the big upgrades though, if you haven't already

I really enjoy the exploration in the game so far

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Speaking of Pinwheel, check this amazing write up.

gently caress the lore owns so hard.

http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1cyukf/

Vaatvidya has a very good youtube video about Pinwheel, actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJeUG1m6eI

The video shows concept art of what's under the cloak. Dark Souls and DKs2 have fantastic stories, they're just buried in item descriptions and metaphors.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Artificer posted:

I think that was pretty much the order I went in (Sinner's Rise to Huntsman's Copse) and it worked fine for me, it seems to be the way the game kind of flows anyhow.

bef posted:

you still gotta find the guy that does the big upgrades though, if you haven't already

I really enjoy the exploration in the game so far

If you mean McDuff then they'll still have to take that path to make him able to actually upgrade anything. If you're talking about Straid they have the means to unlock him already. Only other one I can think of would have to wait though.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 29, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Say, can you still grind out covenant items outside of pvp like you could in the last game? I really liked that they allowed you complete freedom in how much you wanted to engage with that element of the game without punishing you for it. It doesn't seem like this is the case anymore.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Haha, I'm watching some speedrunner guy, and he's running hexes while barely being levelled enough to use them.
He is pretty much just wrecking every boss in 10-20 seconds with Great Resonant Soul and Resonant Soul spam, with some Scraps of Life thrown in for bosses with adds.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Does anyone know a safe way to get a PS4 controller working with DS2? I was using X360CE but since the game has become VAC enabled, and I'm unsure if X360CE uses dll changes or whatever, I'd rather not risk it. Does anyone know a safe alternatively that won't end up with potential VAC banning?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Haha, I'm watching some speedrunner guy, and he's running hexes while barely being levelled enough to use them.
He is pretty much just wrecking every boss in 10-20 seconds with Great Resonant Soul and Resonant Soul spam, with some Scraps of Life thrown in for bosses with adds.

Just like Dark Souls 1 sorcery, in other words.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kimmalah posted:

I think that was pretty much the order I went in (Sinner's Rise to Huntsman's Copse) and it worked fine for me, it seems to be the way the game kind of flows anyhow.

If you mean McDuff then they'll still have to take that path to make him able to actually upgrade anything. If you're talking about Straid they have the means to unlock him already. Only other one I can think of would have to wait though.

I think huntsman is the most obscure because there's really no indication that you're able to access it without some certain events happening and you wondering if you found a contraption that fits into the wall.

Can you reach the other dwarf dude without the key though? I know theres a huge crack but I never got it to work. Also idk the other guy, is he in iron keep?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

IchGestalt posted:

Does anyone know a safe way to get a PS4 controller working with DS2? I was using X360CE but since the game has become VAC enabled, and I'm unsure if X360CE uses dll changes or whatever, I'd rather not risk it. Does anyone know a safe alternatively that won't end up with potential VAC banning?

Use this follow the instructions exactly, and select the option "Hide DS4 Controller" on the SCPServer before you play DaS2.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Say, can you still grind out covenant items outside of pvp like you could in the last game? I really liked that they allowed you complete freedom in how much you wanted to engage with that element of the game without punishing you for it. It doesn't seem like this is the case anymore.

You can find items like the tokens and scales in the world as loot, but not many. If you mean covenant rewards, there's a guy who will sell them to you in something like NG++ I think. But otherwise I'm not sure how you would get them while avoiding PvP since that's what most of the covenants are based around. I could be missing something though or misunderstanding what you mean.

bef posted:

I think huntsman is the most obscure because there's really no indication that you're able to access it without some certain events happening and you wondering if you found a contraption that fits into the wall.

I don't know, for me I didn't defeat Lost Sinner until later, so I couldn't unlock the blocked path at that point. So I just kind of looked around and talked to people until I found the option that leads to the Copse.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 29, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

neetengie posted:

Demon's Souls -> Dark Souls -> Dark Souls 2.

yeah I think playing them all really helps you appreciate how far each one has come in terms of mechanics, although if you don't have a PS3 you can skip to the first Dark Souls which is arguably the best game in the series anyway.

verybad posted:

Eh, not really. I'd say he's more like the Gaping Dragon, except without the initial, steep learning curve but on the other hand not being quite as braindead easy when you figure him out. So really not at all like the Gaping Dragon, but also not at all like Pinwheel either so whatever man.

man I wish this game had a boss like the Gaping Dragon. that fight wasn't hard but it was super fun and pretty unique to the game, it almost felt like a Monster Hunter encounter.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kimmalah posted:

You can find items like the tokens and scales in the world as loot, but not many. If you mean covenant rewards, there's a guy who will sell them to you in something like NG++ I think. But otherwise I'm not sure how you would get them while avoiding PvP since that's what most of the covenants are based around. I could be missing something though or misunderstanding what you mean.

I don't know, for me I didn't defeat Lost Sinner until later, so I couldn't unlock the blocked path at that point. So I just kind of looked around and talked to people until I found the option that leads to the Copse.

The sinner is the trigger? i thought it was some lady :shrug:

:darksouls:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

I meant the items. You could get as many as you needed for every covenant from the environment in the last game, so even if you wanted to play the game purely solo you could still get Sunlight Spear or whatever.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Pwnstar posted:

Great Heal is AoE so popping that on your host, fellow sunbros, and/or NPC Phantoms can be a welcoming surprise. You can hold down the cast button to remain in the kneeling pre-cast animation, which people usually recognise as a sign for "I'm about to cast a thing, get next to me". Magic Barrier is also AoE, but not Great Magic Barrier, I don't think.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

bef posted:

Exhausting the Lady at Heide's dialogue brings her to Majula, and you can unlock the path after that.
vvv alright then.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 29, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

bef posted:

neetengie posted:

Exhausting the Lady at Heide's dialogue brings her to Majula, and you can unlock the path after that.

I think he means the Petrified Lady leading to Shaded Woods. The first depetrification item most people find is the one right after Lost Sinner.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Broken Cog posted:

Argh, now he's one-shotting all the halberd guys in Shrine of Amana.
I'm getting mad watching this.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone got any tips for parrying? I used to be able to do it pretty reliably in DaS1, but it seems like they completely changed the timing one it.
Is it tied to your Agility stat like rolling?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Uh, you could only really grind the eyes before, right? You can grind rat tails from rats... so that's the same.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

man I wish this game had a boss like the Gaping Dragon. that fight wasn't hard but it was super fun and pretty unique to the game, it almost felt like a Monster Hunter encounter.

Really?

Gaping Dragon looks cool but man is he boring as gently caress. He's just a giant HP pool, that's it. He's so loving boring. You just beat on him until he dies. If he didn't have so much loving hp the fight would be over instantly, he doesn't do anything!

I mean he'll vomit some poo poo that does some durability damage... sometimes?

Like really, that's your fun and unique fight? If it wasn't for his weirdo appearance you wouldn't remember him at all.

Not Nito, or Seathe, or O&S... loving Gaping Dragon... :v:

You want a Monster Hunter encounter, how about Kalameet? That fight was infinitely cooler!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Holy poo poo why are wallmasters here. :gonk:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, you could only really grind the eyes before, right? You can grind rat tails from rats... so that's the same.

Nah you could have gotten Sunlight Medals from Chaos Bugs and I think a few other enemies in DaS1, for Sunlight Medals in this game, IIRC someone had them drop from the really big guys in Harvest valley, the ones who throw Dark Orbs at you.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lugaloco posted:

Ancient Dragon is really kicking my rear end. Sometimes it feels luck based on whether or not the flame attack from above will screw me over despite doing everything to prepare for it. Also the run back to the boss is a colossal pain in the rear end too and summoning other players to help only makes the fight worse in my experience so far (they all die within 20 seconds).

Apparently if you have Gower's Ring of Protection (which you get from the Shaded Woods area) you negate the flame blasts because they count as backstabs.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Gaping Dragon looks cool but man is he boring as gently caress. He's just a giant HP pool, that's it. He's so loving boring. You just beat on him until he dies. If he didn't have so much loving hp the fight would be over instantly, he doesn't do anything!

So just like all the "dudes in armor" that DS2 throws at you, except without the cool intro and design. :v:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Dark Souls 1 was eventually patched so that crow demons dropped Souvenir of Reprisal, and the maggots in Lost Izalith (the shortcut from Demon Ruins) dropped Sunlight Medals. I assume Dark Souls 2 will be getting a similar going-over to its covenants. No idea if they'll provide alternate means to level the Blue Sentinels/Brotherhood of Blood though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

No, you could grind every single covenant item from enemies. Rats dropped humanity, the crows dropped souvenirs of reprisal, those sun bugs dropped sunlight tokens, etc. You could be hollow and never drop a soul sign but receive every covenant reward. And that's exactly what I did.

edit: well, I should say you could get every reward required for spells/achievements. You couldn't grind dragon scales.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 29, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

bef posted:

No I mean I didn't have the item necessary to unpetrify the lady blocking the other path, usually the first one you find is after Lost Sinner (the others being in Harvest Valley, Iron Keep and Shaded Woods. I didn't really feel like fighting that boss at that point, so it was basically go to Huntsman's Copse or quit playing for a while.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Really?

I mean he'll vomit some poo poo that does some durability damage... sometimes?

Like really, that's your fun and unique fight? If it wasn't for his weirdo appearance you wouldn't remember him at all.

Not Nito, or Seathe, or O&S... loving Gaping Dragon... :v:

You want a Monster Hunter encounter, how about Kalameet? That fight was infinitely cooler!

shrug, I had fun with it. I'm not saying it was my favorite fight in the game or anything, I just thought it was a nice change of pace compared to some other bosses in the game. I would love a fight like that right now because at the point I'm at in Dark Souls 2 I am extremely tired of every boss fight being strafe right, dodge, attack, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

So just like all the "dudes in armor" that DS2 throws at you, except without the cool intro and design. :v:

I never said the dudes in armor were cool and fun, though. So good for you? Want a cookie?

The whole loving point was he was saying Gaping Dragon was way cool.

I'm sorry but The Rotten and Flexile Sentry and Ruin Sentinels and Undead Chariot and RRV and Freja and Smelter and Guardian Dragon and...

Hell even Pursuer and Looking Glass Knight and other "dudes in armor" were cooler than Gaping Dragon, yes. The fights actually had mechanics to learn! Gaping is a cakewalk.

Cardboard Box posted:

shrug, I had fun with it. I'm not saying it was my favorite fight in the game or anything, I just thought it was a nice change of pace compared to some other bosses in the game. I would love a fight like that right now because at the point I'm at in Dark Souls 2 I am extremely tired of every boss fight being strafe right, dodge, attack, repeat.

"I'm getting tired of having to fight bosses and wish they would just stand there for a change"

You've got to be the only Dark Souls player who feels that way.

Strafe and dodge and attack are the tools you have! What else is there? The whole game is about getting better and better at dodging and strafing. The final boss of the first game was just a swordsman who made sure you were really good at dodging (or magic, derp)

Just create a new character and fight the boring early bosses over again then? Personally I'd be loving pissed if they made a bunch of bosses only to have them sit there. The danger is the whole point?

I've never died to Gaping Dragon once. In a game like Dark Souls, that's saying something.

I mean gently caress dude its like you're saying Pinwheel is your favorite boss :colbert:

Also If you want something like Gaping Dragon well that's exactly what the Covetous Demon fight is like. He lays there and you kill him. Happy? Demon of Song is the same way, so just keep playing because if you like boring boss fights even this game has a couple! :downs:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 29, 2014