Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kimmalah posted:

No I mean I didn't have the item necessary to unpetrify the lady blocking the other path, usually the first one you find is after Lost Sinner. I didn't really feel like fighting that boss at that point, so it was basically go to Huntsman's Copse or quit playing for a while.

yeah I misunderstood. i don't even remember picking up the yore, just looked through my inventory one time and a ! popped in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sorry but The Rotten and Flexile Sentry and Ruin Sentinels and Undead Chariot and RRV and Freja and Smelter and Guardian Dragon and...

Hell even Pursuer and Looking Glass Knight and other "dudes in armor" were cooler than Gaping Dragon, yes. The fights actually had mechanics to learn! Gaping is a cakewalk.

I should point out that I'm only halfway through the game right now so I have no idea what half those bosses you mentioned are. I hope they change things up at least a little bit.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I meant the items. You could get as many as you needed for every covenant from the environment in the last game, so even if you wanted to play the game purely solo you could still get Sunlight Spear or whatever.

I don't think you can do that unless there's some trick I don't know about. I've only ever found one of each covenant item in the world, which seemed to only be there to get the covenant guys to speak to me in the first place. Only thing I know is getting the game to NG++ and buying them (and it has to be actual NG++, not through the use of ascetics).

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Cardboard Box posted:

shrug, I had fun with it. I'm not saying it was my favorite fight in the game or anything, I just thought it was a nice change of pace compared to some other bosses in the game. I would love a fight like that right now because at the point I'm at in Dark Souls 2 I am extremely tired of every boss fight being strafe right, dodge, attack, repeat.

Eh, I don't think he was freaking out about it. A lot of us just think Gaping Dragon is a really, really boring fight. I thought Covetous Demon was more interesting, and I killed him without dieing. At least it looked like he had a variety of attacks, and even had an attack for when you were attacking him from the side. (which was really easy to see coming)

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

edit: well, I should say you could get every reward required for spells/achievements. You couldn't grind dragon scales.

Valley of Drakes...drakes had a (really low) chance to drop Dragon Scales. You could get infinite amounts of them by doing successive NG+s, but that's obviously a bit impractical. Trading an Egg Vermifuge (dropped by tree lizards in Darkroot Garden and Egg Carriers in Demon Ruins) to Snuggly would also give you one.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I never said the dudes in armor were cool and fun, though. So good for you? Want a cookie?

The whole loving point was he was saying Gaping Dragon was way cool.

I'm sorry but The Rotten and Flexile Sentry and Ruin Sentinels and Undead Chariot and RRV and Freja and Smelter and Guardian Dragon and...

Hell even Pursuer and Looking Glass Knight and other "dudes in armor" were cooler than Gaping Dragon, yes. The fights actually had mechanics to learn! Gaping is a cakewalk.

"I'm getting tired of having to fight bosses and wish they would just stand there for a change"

You've got to be the only Dark Souls player who feels that way.

Just create a new character and fight the boring early bosses over again then? Personally I'd be loving pissed if they made a bunch of bosses only to have them sit there. The danger is the whole point?

I've never died to Gaping Dragon once. In a game like Dark Souls, that's saying something.

I mean gently caress dude its like you're saying Pinwheel is your favorite boss :colbert:

Also If you want something like Gaping Dragon well that's exactly what the Covetous Demon fight is like. He lays there and you kill him. Happy? Demon of Song is the same way, so just keep playing because if you like boring boss fights even this game has a couple! :downs:

I think you're missing the point, which is that Gaping Dragon looks cool. I don't agree that Dark Souls 2 boss design is worse or that it's just a bunch of dudes in armor (though there are certainly more of those than last time around, sure) but Gaping Dragon did have a good design.

Umberger posted:

Valley of Drakes...drakes had a (really low) chance to drop Dragon Scales. You could get infinite amounts of them by doing successive NG+s, but that's obviously a bit impractical. Trading an Egg Vermifuge (dropped by tree lizards in Darkroot Garden and Egg Carriers in Demon Ruins) to Snuggly would also give you one.

I think they only spawn once and I meant in one playthrough. You needed like 80 to max the covenant.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^^ Purely visually, though. From a gameplay perspective he was boring as gently caress. That's my point.

Fun bosses are more important than good looking bosses :colbert: And he made it sound like he enjoyed fighting gaping dragon, which makes no sense, unless he just liked that it was easier.

If all you're saying is "I wish there were more interesting boss designs" that's different, but even that's wrong, this game has tons of cool bosses.

Thing is he's still in the very very beginning of the game so whatever.

Cardboard Box posted:

I should point out that I'm only halfway through the game right now so I have no idea what half those bosses you mentioned are. I hope they change things up at least a little bit.

Okay in that case stop posting complaints for a game you haven't even seen much of and keep playing. :cheeky:

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Real quick, anyone know why my Dark Souls 2 online isn't working? Just gives me a message to check out namcobandaigames.com/support or try again.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Vintersorg posted:

A reddit user created a tool to backup your saves in intervals incase you encounter a hacker that drops 95393939393 souls.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/242ev3/pc_soul_saver_ds2_save_file_backup_tool/

Before anybody jumps on this, give it a bit, 5 gets you 10 that that is also considered "Hacking".

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Babyface Mingo posted:

Real quick, anyone know why my Dark Souls 2 online isn't working?

You didn't by chance burn a human effigy at a bonfire did you? Also you aren't VAC banned are you?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

"I'm getting tired of having to fight bosses and wish they would just stand there for a change"

You've got to be the only Dark Souls player who feels that way.

Strafe and dodge and attack are the tools you have! What else is there? The whole game is about getting better and better at dodging and strafing. The final boss of the first game was just a swordsman who made sure you were really good at dodging (or magic, derp)

Just create a new character and fight the boring early bosses over again then? Personally I'd be loving pissed if they made a bunch of bosses only to have them sit there. The danger is the whole point?

I've never died to Gaping Dragon once. In a game like Dark Souls, that's saying something.

I mean gently caress dude its like you're saying Pinwheel is your favorite boss :colbert:

Also If you want something like Gaping Dragon well that's exactly what the Covetous Demon fight is like. He lays there and you kill him. Happy? Demon of Song is the same way, so just keep playing because if you like boring boss fights even this game has a couple! :downs:

that's not what I said and you are taking this way too seriously

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay in that case stop posting complaints for a game you haven't even seen much of and keep playing. :cheeky:

will do, chief

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

Holy poo poo why are wallmasters here. :gonk:

You mean the things in Black Gulch? If so, set their puddles on fire with something like firestorm. As long as you don't get close enough to trigger them they'll die en-mass without attacking.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Seath had the crystal of immortality but some rear end in a top hat destroyed it.

Why should a being obsessed with immortality stop at only a single possible solution?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SirDan3k posted:

Before anybody jumps on this, give it a bit, 5 gets you 10 that that is also considered "Hacking".

I doubt it, but there's a small chance that having a process watching the files could trigger something, I guess. They're more looking for RAM modifications and poo poo though.

You could always make manual backups every game session then. I really doubt that they'd ban you for copying your save.

If they wanted to be secure about saves they'd put more security into the saves themselves.

Then again... From Software...

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
For those who have put a bunch of hours into this already and played the first Dark Souls, how you would you compare it against the first? I'll be picking it up tomorrow and am looking forward to playing it but wanted to hear what you guys thought.

No spoilers please! :D

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Matlock Birthmark posted:

You didn't by chance burn a human effigy at a bonfire did you? Also you aren't VAC banned are you?

It's not working on launch so I don't think it's the burn a human effigy thing. Just starting this game.

Although I am VAC Banned, but I doubt Dark Souls II is running on TF2/CS:S-era Source engine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DreadNite posted:

For those who have put a bunch of hours into this already and played the first Dark Souls, how you would you compare it against the first? I'll be picking it up tomorrow and am looking forward to playing it but wanted to hear what you guys thought.

Better mechanics, more variety, but not quite as "perfect" a self-contained package.

The game is still unbelievably non-linear, even more so than DS1, but there's a few less shortcuts between zones.

Every weapon, armor, and ring with very few exceptions from DS1 is in DS2, along with a ton of new items, spells, enemies, etc.

If you liked DS1 there's no way you won't like DS2.

Backfrombombay
Jun 25, 2006
Edit. Nevermind I was looking at the wrong page of the thread

Backfrombombay fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 29, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well the rotten's the most hosed up thing I've seen today.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Cool huh?

If you're having some trouble There's a hidden bonfire in black gulch on the right just before the boss door

Babyface Mingo posted:

It's not working on launch so I don't think it's the burn a human effigy thing. Just starting this game.

Although I am VAC Banned, but I doubt Dark Souls II is running on TF2/CS:S-era Source engine.

What does TF2 matter?

If you're banned you're banned. DS2 uses VAC dumbass. Check the store page.

Engine doesn't matter, its just a database of banned users.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 29, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

DreadNite posted:

It's got more of everything, but that's not always a good thing.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

DreadNite posted:

Probably going to get a wide range of answers here, there's no real consensus. Personally, I really like the tweaks to the mechanics and the increased variety in the levels but a lot of people don't like that the world has a much less cohesive design. I love it though, more than the last one. And there aren't any areas that feel completely phoned-in the way a couple of the late game DS ones do.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DreadNite posted:

Personal opinion, the areas are a little more compact that DS1, which can be a bit annoying. I personally like the combat system in this game more than the last. Dark souls PvP is still Dark Souls PvP, but you've got more options for it now. Co-op is fantastic in this game, much better than dark souls 1. Soul memory sucks, but overall, as long as your pressing forward on your character, it's not that bad.

The interface improvements are fanatic, IMO.

Babyface Mingo posted:

If you are VAC banned, you cannot use Dark Souls 2 online at all. The developers have said this is a bug though, so hopefully it will be fixed in the future.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Zaphod42 posted:

What does TF2 matter?

Engine does matter for other VAC games. Up until now, a VAC ban would only lock you out of other games on that engine. That's why it was such a big deal that Dark Souls 2 picks up on any and all VAC bans.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=370

quote:

Cheating in one of the following Source games will result in a VAC ban for all games in the list and your items from Team Fortress 2 will be removed except any items that have been purchased:
Counter-Strike: Source
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Day of Defeat: Source
Team Fortress 2

Cheating in one of the following Gold Source games will result in a VAC ban for all games in the list:
Counter-Strike
Condition Zero
Ricochet
Day of Defeat
Team Fortress Classic
Half-Life: Deathmatch
Deathmatch Classic

Note:
Excluding the games listed above, VAC bans will only apply to the game the cheat was detected in. For example, a VAC ban in Modern Warfare 2 will not affect Modern Warfare 3.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DreadNite posted:

I've put like 40 hours in so far and it does some things better, some things worse. I think that as a game, mechanically, it feels smoother and less clunky. the user interface is a lot better, stuff is explained more so you don't always have to consult a wiki just to find out what something is, a lot of the new covenant/multiplayer mechanics are neat, dual wielding and archery are actually viable and fun options now. It's still very fun to play. That said, it doesn't really have the same atmosphere, and there's been a lot more moments where I thought the game was a little unfair compared to the first Dark Souls, like how it likes to rush you with 5+ enemies at once sometimes. Up to where I'm at, a lot of the boss designs and encounters have been a bit uninspired, and none of them very difficult outside of a couple.

Even with some complaints I like it a lot. I plan on playing through it and doing new game plus and everything. Some of the changes they made (like replacing matchmaking based on soul level to matchmaking based on overall soul count) are weird and not all that good. But it's still a very good game and if you've had fun with these in the past, you probably will again.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
It irks me that there is now an option to use a specific amount of inventory items at once but not to fork over all your covenant items for leveling up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the corpse on his shoulder that looks like its waving its arms. He's having such a good time riding the flesh hulk! :shepface:

DreadNite posted:

Its hard to say how much you'll like it since there are a lot of differences between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, but I think anyone that genuinely enjoyed Dark Souls should have a good time with Dark souls 2.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

What does TF2 matter?

Not really. Feel free to read up on how VAC functions here before you go spewing bullshit and nonsense like a complete idiot.

Anyhow, reading up on it it does seem that DS2 just imported the whole VAC ban list, which is pretty laughable.

If you are VAC banned, you cannot use Dark Souls 2 online at all. The developers have said this is a bug though, so hopefully it will be fixed in the future.

Thanks, gonna wait and see I suppose. Oh well, doubt no online will really ruin Dark Souls 2.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I like the corpse on his shoulder that looks like its waving its arms. He's having such a good time riding the flesh hulk! :shepface:

I like when Nashandra enters through the fog door and the little skirt skeletons dragging along the floor look like they're happy to see you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Cool huh?

If you're having some trouble There's a hidden bonfire in black gulch on the right just before the boss door

Thanks! I got it in one actually, but I'll go back to that bonfire. I missed the key for Havel's set anyway. I've got my fire longsword to +9, my magic archdrake's staff to +9 (still not enough faith to use resonant souls, so I'm really only using Dark Hail. It's better than the sorcerer's staff at any rate), and my morningstar to +5. I assume none of those are particularly worth spending my slabs on? The longsword maybe because at 16 str/12 dex I'm not going to find much better.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks! I got it in one actually, but I'll go back to that bonfire. I missed the key for Havel's set. I've got my fire longsword to +9, my magic archdrake's staff to +9, and my morningstar to +5. I assume none of those are particularly worth spending my slabs on? The longsword maybe because at 16 str/12 dex I'm not going to find much better.

The game spews Slabs at you, it's fine to upgrade at least your favorite two.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

neetengie posted:

The game spews Slabs at you, it's fine to upgrade at least your favorite two.

Oh cool, didn't know they were less rare than DS1. I'll go ahead and pump up the longsword at least, as a standby, and save my other one I currently have for later. I've been hearing there are better staffs out there than this one. I need to try the morningstar out at some point actually. :v:

e: gently caress, I missed Lucatiel and am out of summon opportunities.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Babyface Mingo posted:

Thanks, gonna wait and see I suppose. Oh well, doubt no online will really ruin Dark Souls 2.

Apparently, if you make another steam account, then use family sharing on your main account to share with the secondary account, it gets around this issue. Not sure on the finer details on that path though, something to look up if you are interested though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's a really common enemy in a later area that has a chance of dropping slabs. Unlike Dark Souls, you won't be limited to a certain number of slabs per run so don't worry about using them.

What are the 6 fights you have to summon NPCs for to complete their personal quests or whatever?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

DreadNite posted:

I like DS2 a little bit more than Dark Souls 1, but they're both fantastic games. I'm spending a ton of time in co-op and PVP which was never something I did in Dark Souls 1. There are two sections in DS2 that capture that ~adventure~ feeling better than anything in Dark Souls.

Spoiler sections: Vendrick's castle to his Crypt and Aldia's Keep to the Aerie

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh cool, didn't know they were less rare than DS1. I'll go ahead and pump up the longsword at least, as a standby, and save my other one I currently have for later. I've been hearing there are better staffs out there than this one. I need to try the morningstar out at some point actually. :v:

Yeah, just farm the Shrine of Anime for a good one that doesn't need Twinkling Titanite. By farming them, in the process you'll also gain Twinkling Titanite.
edit: if you're out of summon "opportunities", just ascetic a bonfire to respawn a corresponding boss of hers. Flexile is your best bet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DreadNite posted:

The game is bigger, but a lot of the areas are smaller and there are a ton of bosses. The game branches off pretty heavily for a while unlike Dark Souls, which was fairly linear in the first half. It's like you're starting with gathering the four lord souls and then coming back to the more structured progression of the early game. It feels a lot smoother in a lot of ways. Dark Souls 2 also brings back some mechanics from Demon's Souls, if you've played that. The PvP stuff is far more integrated than it was in the last games in that you have to participate in it. The only way to turn off invasions is to go offline, and while getting invaded is incredibly unlikely for the most part there are areas like Sif's forest where you can't escape from it. Those areas are totally optional, however.

Something about the plot feels kinda off though. They really like the word dark, for one thing. You can tell the main guy behind it isn't there anymore but they nailed the aesthetic and feeling of the last two games. I think it's at least as good as Dark Souls, though not as focused it doesn't seem to fall apart in the second half like Dark Souls did. Worth the money for sure.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Eh, I don't think he was freaking out about it. A lot of us just think Gaping Dragon is a really, really boring fight. I thought Covetous Demon was more interesting, and I killed him without dieing. At least it looked like he had a variety of attacks, and even had an attack for when you were attacking him from the side. (which was really easy to see coming)

It was a dull fight, sure, especially if you cheesed it with magic or a bow. But it had interesting design in a visual sense. It just seems that the sequel has frontloaded itself with Guys With Swords bosses which, while mechanically more interesting, look pretty similar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

neetengie posted:

Yeah, just farm the Shrine of Anime for a good one that doesn't need Twinkling Titanite. By farming them, in the process you'll also gain Twinkling Titanite.
edit: if you're out of summon "opportunities", just ascetic a bonfire to respawn a corresponding boss of hers. Flexile is your best bet.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I think I only found her once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

flowinprose posted:

Doctor Zaius posted:

Ugh, just beat an invader who dropped 400k souls, how jacked is my SM now?

:shrug: Unless you are just starting the game or trying to co-op with a specific person, this will probably have very little impact other than giving you a head start on your soul levels.

It really depends. I got like 1m extra souls from killing 2 hackers while on my way to light my second primal bonfire. Because my SM was so jacked up after that, my ability to coop with ANYONE via laying down a sign became more limited, I saw far far far fewer shade signs to summon, and I also got invaded VERY frequently (once every 20-30 minutes by reds) because I guess I was one of the few very high SM matches to hackers in those ng areas.

It all annoyed me so much I started a new char and am just hoping to blend in a bit more this time around. Maybe if my SM gets jacked on this guy at least the new char won't be as close to the high end of the SM distribution as my first (which I may continue to play at a later day, as the SM distribution in NG evolves).

I really hope VAC bans rain down like fire on any and all save game hackers. I don't even have sympathy for aimbot guys with VAC bans from other games who can't play DkS2 because they imported the whole VAC list, because honestly hackers can just go rot.