Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

El Jebus posted:

Coast and tap brakes are a great way to signal someone is too close to you without being a dick and following it up with hammering it. I would be pissed if someone in front of me kept tapping the brakes and then accelerating madly. If there are two lanes, move over.

If she had room to "fake swideswipe him from the #2 lane" she probably had room to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
It was 6pm on a 4 lane freeway in San Diego. Traffic was going 50-75 with light traffic but not much room to maneuver. There were multiple cars infront of me going the same speed.

She overtook where she could and got really close to losing control with her 35 inch tires a few times. Bonus points for doing it with a child in the car.

I also clocked about 30k miles last year on Los Angeles and San Diego freeways so I am pretty sure I know what I am doing.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 29, 2014

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Geoj posted:

If she had room to "fake swideswipe him from the #2 lane" she probably had room to pass.

I would agree with that, too.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I'd never heard of lane numbers until I moved to CA. (Just inside/outside lanes.) #1 is the far left here and it is by no means a "passing" lane in this whole loving state. The CA DMV even recommends lane splitting between 1 and 2 because it's safer[/]. Their reasoning being that it's safer than splitting near onramp/offramp mergers (makes sense), but it seems to breed a mentality of "left lane = travel lane" because NOBODY leaves that lane until they have to exit.

Nothing worse than coming up on a wall of cars with some dick in the left lane pacing 6 lanes of traffic. If there's nothing but road out front and a line of cars in the rear view, move over! Not only is it the safest thing to do, but it's just common loving manners. Would you just obstruct a line of people walking down the sidewalk? No, you wouldn't. Because your rear end would get trampled. If you're uncomfortable going faster than the rest of traffic you have no business being in that lane to begin with. You've got cars flying around your biggest blind spots, not to mention all the road rage you breed... Which brings me to the fact that I totally understand the rage of coming up on a bumper doing 15 under. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do other than wait for a spot to open up and pass. Tailgaters are the worst, though.

Come up on my rear end when I'm 10 cars back in a line of traffic? gently caress you. I'll just coast until that whole line of 30 cars to the right passes [i]you
by. Neither of us were getting anywhere fast anyway... just like all the other people in front of us. It's California, there's always traffic. If you were that important, it would be your chauffeur sitting in this traffic and not you.

:ca:

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chinatown posted:

It was 6pm on a 4 lane freeway in San Diego.
I read your original story and it made me think, "Well, that sure sounds like a lot of douchebags in San Diego." I was right.

Speaking of San Diego drivers.. I was in a protected double left turn, waiting for the light to turn green. It turned green, and the car in front of me started slowly moving forward. All of a sudden this fucker comes blazing through the intersection and almost clips the car in front of me. We had at least a good 2-3 seconds on our green light before he plowed through. On top of that, some other fucker in a G35 (or 37.. they look the loving same to me) was tailing that first car and also almost ran the light, but he decided to brake into the intersection and reverse back behind the white line... My guess is that they were racing. Dumb fucks.

bigman.50grand posted:

I'd never heard of lane numbers until I moved to CA. (Just inside/outside lanes.) #1 is the far left here and it is by no means a "passing" lane in this whole loving state. The CA DMV even recommends lane splitting between 1 and 2 because it's safer. Their reasoning being that it's safer than splitting near onramp/offramp mergers (makes sense), but it seems to breed a mentality of "left lane = travel lane" because NOBODY leaves that lane until they have to exit.

:ca:
Welcome to :ca:. Expect to come across this a lot. I regularly drive between SD and LA, and this happens every time.

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 29, 2014

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
I have a daily commute of 70 miles through the middle of san diego (chula vista to rancho bernardo and back) and I've never encountered any of that. About the worst that happens in terms of lane picking shenanigans is people coming up fast behind me (like in the "cops will notice" category of over the seed limit), at which point I'll get over a lane and laugh if they attempt to pass on the right and end up changing lanes in sync with me.

The only things I see a consistent problem with are the motorcycles (usually oversized Harlys) who think it's ok to lanesplit doing 60 while the rest of traffic is slow or stopped.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd love to live in California again if it weren't for all the drat people there.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Glorious MS Paint vision to help explain this one:

My path is the red line, I pulled up to a stop sign, and noticed the traffic in the cross street was turning right onto the street I was at (light blue line) and I also noticed a car in lane the left lane, these cars had been side by side the for about half a mile as I waited at the stop sign. As I was pulling out, halfway through my turn I noticed that the brown car (actually a silver BMW SUV. . .) had come to almost a complete stop right beside me, and this SUV wanted to make a right turn at the next intersection which is 351 ft down the road according to google. The SUV proceeded to tailgate me and sound there horn all the way until I parked in front of the store (I parked as close as a cart return employee as possible just in case), and the last I saw of the SUV was them hammering down while pointed in the general direction of the nearby gym. Pretty sure there was a mixture of road rage and roid rage going on.

Did I mess up by turning onto a 4 lane street while the right lane was turning right? I rarely ever pull out in front of someone making a right turn because I don't trust the other morons to have their turn signal on at the appropriate time, but I actually saw this car slow down and start to turn so I knew the right lane was clear. Maybe the SUV had the right of way, I don't know what the law is in this case, but I think it was their fault for staying in the left lane until right before it was time to switch lanes. Also, I think it is illegal to switch lanes in the middle of an intersection although I'm not certain if that law applies in this case because of the stop sign I was at. Maybe I am that person you share the road with. :doh:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

eriddy posted:

I think beating him to death is taking it a bit overboard.

violence is never the answer

I was thinking more along the lines of securing the car's the pole via its B-pillar

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So this is making the rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FtbMr-hElDY

Guy plows his bike into the back of a Mazda at a 140mph

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Well, it's getting to be that season again, when on any given commute no matter the time of day I pass between four and four hundred poorly maintained landscaping trucks with precariously secured equipment weaving across lanes because the driver doesn't have enough room in the cab to steer accurately because there are four guys crammed into the front bench seat. God drat it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So this is making the rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FtbMr-hElDY

There's a picture of the Mazda he hit online too:

:stare:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Someone needs to be educated on motorcycle awareness, obviously. If the driver of that Mazda had been vigilantly watching their rearview mirror they might have been able to yield right-of-way to that bike!

Crotch Fruit posted:

Also, I think it is illegal to switch lanes in the middle of an intersection although I'm not certain if that law applies in this case because of the stop sign I was at.

Depends on state law but generally speaking changing lanes in an intersection is a (admittedly seldom-enforced) moving violation. Its hard to say who was at fault, it could be argued that you should have waited for the SUV to clear before proceeding but at the same time if they changed lanes mid-intersection they share some of the blame as well.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Was involved in a glorious incidence this afternoon.

On a 5 lane road, stopped at red light. ~1000 ft ahead, the lane is blocked with road crews cleaning up debris from last night's storm. I have my left turn signal on. Light turns green, I gun it, get ahead of the bro-truck to my left and start to move left. The bro-truck beside me decides I'm not going to get over and blocks my path flashing his lights and laying on the horn. I back off and wait for him to pass - but he also backs off. I end up stopped because I ran out of open road in my lane. No big deal, wait for him to pass, go on my way.

Next intersection, we're the lead cars at the red light. This time I'm in the left lane, he's in the right. At green, he gives me the finger, peels out. What he didn't see was the po-po to his left, and apparently the car that was turning left from a side street ahead. The po-po jumped into the intersection with his lights on about the time bro-truck nailed the left turning car. I was still sitting at the intersection watching all of this unfold.

I stop to give my statement to po-po. Bro-truck driver (a guy in his late 40s) is all up in my face about racing him. Po-po shuts him down really quickly. Guy continues to be a mouthy rear end and ends up cuffed in the back of the cruiser. I give my statement, explain the 'racing' bit, he thanks me for stopping, and tells me to carry on.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Geoj posted:

Someone needs to be educated on motorcycle awareness, obviously.
I know this is sarcastic but none the less: I think the person that needed education on motorcycle awareness just got it. Along with possibly a helicopter ride :haw:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

I stop to give my statement to po-po. Bro-truck driver (a guy in his late 40s) is all up in my face about racing him. Po-po shuts him down really quickly. Guy continues to be a mouthy rear end and ends up cuffed in the back of the cruiser. I give my statement, explain the 'racing' bit, he thanks me for stopping, and tells me to carry on.

I love people like this, you might as well just admit you're guilty when you mouth off like that in front of the officer on scene.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 29, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

I love people like this, you might as well just admit your guilty when you mouth off like that in front of the officer on scene.
Just ask any copper. There are so many people out there who, even if looked dead in the eye and reminded that wouldn't it be a whole lot better if we all went home and had a nice cup of tea rather than causing any more trouble? will continue to rant and rave to the point where they get arrested on a charge of being in public while loving stupid.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dude was also screaming at the poor lady he t-boned. If he hadn't been an rear end while driving, she would have cleared the turn with no issues.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Dude was also screaming at the poor lady he t-boned. If he hadn't been an rear end while driving, she would have cleared the turn with no issues.

I hope that fucker loses his license.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Instant karma is rare but that really puts the icing on the cake.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Just ask any copper. There are so many people out there who, even if looked dead in the eye and reminded that wouldn't it be a whole lot better if we all went home and had a nice cup of tea rather than causing any more trouble? will continue to rant and rave to the point where they get arrested on a charge of being in public while loving stupid.

600 hours a day of police-following reality tv backs you up on this, I should know because my wife watches it. Some of it is quite fascinating though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Goober Peas posted:

On a 5 lane road, stopped at red light. ~1000 ft ahead, the lane is blocked with road crews cleaning up debris from last night's storm. I have my left turn signal on. Light turns green, I gun it, get ahead of the bro-truck to my left and start to move left. The bro-truck beside me decides I'm not going to get over and blocks my path flashing his lights and laying on the horn. I back off and wait for him to pass - but he also backs off. I end up stopped because I ran out of open road in my lane. No big deal, wait for him to pass, go on my way.

Next intersection, we're the lead cars at the red light. This time I'm in the left lane, he's in the right. At green, he gives me the finger, peels out. What he didn't see was the po-po to his left, and apparently the car that was turning left from a side street ahead. The po-po jumped into the intersection with his lights on about the time bro-truck nailed the left turning car. I was still sitting at the intersection watching all of this unfold.

This is amazing and I wish it happened more often. Minus someone getting hit of course.

He was trying to get out of trouble by accusing you of racing him? Didn't he realize it... takes two people to race?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

InitialDave posted:

Arrested on a charge of being in public while loving stupid.

This needs to become a thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Section 5 in the uk pretty much covers it. Pity its wide open to abuse...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GramCracker posted:

This needs to become a thing.

The jails and prisons are already overcrowded...

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is it just me or is the whole "140MPH!!!!!!" complete bullshit? Maybe 140kph. It looks to me like the guy on the bike was doing maybe 90mph, and the suv was just doing ~20mph for some unknown reason.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

I dunno if I'll be able to find it again, but on a local sportbike forum there was a dude who posted up his crashed, rashed helmet pic complete with a 'NOBAMA' sticker on it.

A couple sentences later he laments about how he has no insurance because of a pre-existing condition that the companies always deny him because and how he's going to be in huge debt from the hospital bill.

Then he blamed Obama.

ed: Did find these pics of the where his bike landed http://imgur.com/a/AzAtJ

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 30, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Negromancer posted:

Is it just me or is the whole "140MPH!!!!!!" complete bullshit? Maybe 140kph. It looks to me like the guy on the bike was doing maybe 90mph, and the suv was just doing ~20mph for some unknown reason.
I'm in complete agreement with you. That's not what 140mph looks like, and it's not what 7-800lbs hitting a car at 140mph looks like.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Unless you assume the bike was doing 140 and the Mazda was doing a reasonable highway speed (60-75), resulting in a closing speed of 65-80.

Negromancer posted:

Still the biker's fault for not paying attention to the road in front of him...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 30, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's just a case of the dumb, you can see how fast he's closing on the car from the get-go but he's more interested getting a wikked sikk shot of his buddy going kinda fast in a straight line. Hopefully he's now an ex-rider.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Geoj posted:

^
Unless you assume the bike was doing 140 and the Mazda was doing a reasonable highway speed (60-75), resulting in a closing speed of 65-80.

Still the biker's fault for not paying attention to the road in front of him...

I never meant to imply any of the blame was on the driver of the mazda, but he did seem to be sitting on a open highway at about 20mph.

Also, I was judging the motorcycles speed from when he was recording his buddy riding. It def looks much closer to 80mph than 140mph.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Negromancer posted:

Also, I was judging the motorcycles speed from when he was recording his buddy riding. It def looks much closer to 80mph than 140mph.

If you bring up the map of the accident location and compare to landmarks in the video, he travels roughly 475 feet in roughly 2 seconds.. which if you do the math is pretty close to 140 mph.

It's a wide angle camera showing some rolling shutter, it's hard to guess how fast stuff is moving just by eyeballing it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

xzzy posted:

If you bring up the map of the accident location and compare to landmarks in the video, he travels roughly 475 feet in roughly 2 seconds.. which if you do the math is pretty close to 140 mph.

It's a wide angle camera showing some rolling shutter, it's hard to guess how fast stuff is moving just by eyeballing it.

Look at the long lane markers too and compare it to how fast they go past you when you're going 80. There's only a couple seconds to see this cause it switches to some shorter ones. It's def. pretty fast. I'll record a riding video where I'm doing a decent clip on a curvy road and when you go back to the video it's unimpressive. The camera being so high on his helmet adds to that a lot.

Edit: Yeah I caught a flash of the speedo here reading 75 going uphill into a blind turn and it doesn't look that fast. They were going way faster than 80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkICQUTZERg&t=127s

VVVVV Exactly. People were saying it was like the car was doing 20 and he was doing 90. Well 140 and 70 is an equivalent closing speed. The accident wasn't as devastating because both vehicles were going the same direction.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 30, 2014

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

xzzy posted:

Makes sense as to why the Mazda looks almost stationary, too. If the Mazda was doing 70, the bike was still going 70 mph faster than the Mazda... :stare:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

xzzy posted:

I stand corrected. I didn't think about the wide angle camera, makes sense.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Goober Peas posted:

Please tell me this didn't happen in California. If so, somehow, this tool will be my client.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
You know those people that, while not really ever breaking the law, manage to do the MOST ANNOYING things while driving? Things like braking into green lights, taking half an hour to get up to the speed limit, never getting out of the left lane, things like that? I saw one smash into a shopping center sign head-on this morning. Thank you universe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Pudgygiant posted:

You know those people that, while not really ever breaking the law, manage to do the MOST ANNOYING things while driving? Things like braking into green lights, taking half an hour to get up to the speed limit, never getting out of the left lane, things like that? I saw one smash into a shopping center sign head-on this morning. Thank you universe.

A few weeks ago I managed to maneuver the two most annoying pricks on my drive into interacting with one another. Neither one of them will ever get out of the left lane or go the speed limit, but both of them go slow at slightly different rates. I imagine after I left the guy in back had a small seizure trying to balance his unwillingness to ever pass with his desire to go 20 under and not 30 under.

The idiot in front also tends to "think with her brake pedal" so with any luck she got rear ended.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Last night, 10pm (on a Tuesday for those keeping track), three incidents, one street.

1st - Taxi Driver straddling the white line on a 4 lane street, then signals only while making a u turn in front of me. I get a Crown Vic has a 40' turn radius, but signal first please. gently caress you.

2nd - Ford Taurus pulls of the gas station at a speed of idle, barely makes it across the two lanes in time. I braked of course, and then watched him continue to chug along at no speed until he made the next right. gently caress you.

3rd - Boy racer in Jetta on a side street screams up to the intersection where I have no traffic controls. I thought he was going to smash me for sure, and it seems like he wasn't going to stop at all but managed to get it in time. I swerved and honked. gently caress you.

I have easier drives on Friday at 2:15am.