Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cardboard Box posted:

I've put like 40 hours in so far and it does some things better, some things worse. I think that as a game, mechanically, it feels smoother and less clunky. the user interface is a lot better, stuff is explained more so you don't always have to consult a wiki just to find out what something is, a lot of the new covenant/multiplayer mechanics are neat, dual wielding and archery are actually viable and fun options now. It's still very fun to play. That said, it doesn't really have the same atmosphere, and there's been a lot more moments where I thought the game was a little unfair compared to the first Dark Souls, like how it likes to rush you with 5+ enemies at once sometimes. Up to where I'm at, a lot of the boss designs and encounters have been a bit uninspired, and none of them very difficult outside of a couple.
I agree with this, with the addition that the game world is just a lot less inspired and well-thought-out than the one in Dark Souls 1 was. In DS1, you had one holistic gameworld that was interconnected in all sorts of awesome ways. In a lot of places you could see other areas in the distance, and then you'd walk there and realize that it actually made sense because they were really placed that way in relation to each other. DS2 doesn't have that, it's a lot flatter and generally less interesting to look at.

All in all, I'd say Dark Souls 1 is categorically the better game. Things just fit together better, there's a lot less redundancy and wasted space. The controls are tighter, the difficulty ramps up smoother and the general sense of progression is stronger.

One thing that I liked particularly about Dark Souls and that I'm really missing in DS2 is the sense of place. From the beginning of the game, Dark Souls felt to me like it was bigger than the sum of its parts. I had the sense that I knew where I was and where I was going straight away. I was constantly seeing areas, enemies and NPCs that made me go "hey, I remember that from the intro! I wonder if I'll meet any Daughters of Chaos now that I'm in Izalith!"

Dark Souls 2 really doesn't have that. It feels a lot less like a coherent place with its own story and history and more like a bunch of, well, levels haphazardly jumbled together. It's a real letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FrickenMoron posted:

Whats the deal with VAC now? The steam store page claims the game is VAC protected. Basically everyone who uses ds2fix (which uses a hook injection) could get banned if it's true!

Supposedly it's safe, since it's not overwriting a unique DLL called by the game. Supposedly x360ce is safe too for the same reason.

The problem is the "supposedly". Since I was gifted the game by a generous benefactor I just said "screw it" and am playing anyway.

From are basically idiots, though. I'd like to see how VAC stops offline (as in, kill your internet before doing) save editing, which is the biggest problem. Remember that in DS1 you could get infinite HP by setting the max to -1, if I recall correctly. I wonder if that works now?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Supposedly it's safe, since it's not overwriting a unique DLL called by the game. Supposedly x360ce is safe too for the same reason.

I've opened a support ticket with Steam support to see if they have anything on this - I'd rather be 100% than risk it. Will post their answer here.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I agree with this, with the addition that the game world is just a lot less inspired and well-thought-out than the one in Dark Souls 1 was. In DS1, you had one holistic gameworld that was interconnected in all sorts of awesome ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kshiTrSDles

A bit disappointing, really.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cardiovorax posted:

Dark Souls 2 really doesn't have that. It feels a lot less like a coherent place with its own story and history and more like a bunch of, well, levels haphazardly jumbled together. It's a real letdown.

This is especially true in Heides Tower of Flame. If you stand near the Cathedral and turn to look back to whwre you entered the area, logically just beyond it should be Majula or some kind of stone cliff face beyond which is presumably Majula. Nnnnope you are just kind of illogically out in the middle of the ocean disconnected from everything.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 29, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

One thing that I liked particularly about Dark Souls and that I'm really missing in DS2 is the sense of place. From the beginning of the game, Dark Souls felt to me like it was bigger than the sum of its parts. I had the sense that I knew where I was and where I was going straight away. I was constantly seeing areas, enemies and NPCs that made me go "hey, I remember that from the intro! I wonder if I'll meet any Daughters of Chaos now that I'm in Izalith!"

That's the point though. Dark Souls 2 intentionally doesn't give you a lore dump because that's not the kind of story they were trying to tell this time around. If you don't like what they were going for that's fine, but I don't think people should fault this game for not just doing a repeat of the Dark Souls story and instead trying something new.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

IchGestalt posted:

I've opened a support ticket with Steam support to see if they have anything on this - I'd rather be 100% than risk it. Will post their answer here.

The x360ce part was stated by a Steam moderator at one point, for whatever that is worth.

Valve is infamously tight-lipped about what will trigger VAC, so chances are you will not get an answer.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

"Oh for gently caress's sake, would you assholes just let me grind in peace. :mad:"

Anyway, FASHION TALK:

This is my character's outfit. Grym gloves, Ironclad Helmet, Ironclad Boots and Prisoner tatters. I'm working on getting the Sinner's hand cuffs to look as if she recently broke out of her prison but...what other items might you guys suggest? I'm going for the batshit-heretic-who-went-nuts-and-killed-her-captors-without-taking-off-her-shackles thing. The boots I'm a bit weirded out by, as even though they suit the part of being huge and heavy, they seem a bit too neat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Internet Kraken posted:

That's the point though. Dark Souls 2 intentionally doesn't give you a lore dump because that's not the kind of story they were trying to tell this time around. If you don't like what they were going for that's fine, but I don't think people should fault this game for not just doing a repeat of the Dark Souls story and instead trying something new.
Why shouldn't people fault the game for it? I liked the way the story and background of the world was presented and thing Dark Souls 2 is doing it worse. That they did it intentionally doesn't mean I have to think it's less of a bad idea.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Cardiovorax posted:

All in all, I'd say Dark Souls 1 is categorically the better game. Things just fit together better, there's a lot less redundancy and wasted space. The controls are tighter, the difficulty ramps up smoother and the general sense of progression is stronger.

Well, at least until you beat O+S and get the lord vessel, at which point DKS1 turns into a hot mess.

This is going to be one of the places I feel a lot of people disagree. I'm noticing the lack of a connected world as well, but for me, it's not as big of deal. And I'm enjoying the challenge most of the areas bring so far. Now, I haven't finished the game, so I can't truthfully weigh in, but so far I haven't come across completely dull areas with dozens of slow non-threatening enemies leading up to bullshit gimmick bosses.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

The x360ce part was stated by a Steam moderator at one point, for whatever that is worth.

Valve is infamously tight-lipped about what will trigger VAC, so chances are you will not get an answer.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/9/828935361250856746/ - Thread with a Steam mod, yeah.

I'd rather ask than not. I assume it'll be fine, but eh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Why shouldn't people fault the game for it? I liked the way the story and background of the world was presented and thing Dark Souls 2 is doing it worse. That they did it intentionally doesn't mean I have to think it's less of a bad idea.

You not liking it doesn't make it bad or the wrong way to go about it, though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does anyone know if the weapon and shield of the Sentinel boss/enemies are available to the player somewhere? I was thinking of farming the armor set and making a gimmick character wearing it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

This is going to be one of the places I feel a lot of people disagree. I'm noticing the lack of a connected world as well, but for me, it's not as big of deal. And I'm enjoying the challenge most of the areas bring so far. Now, I haven't finished the game, so I can't truthfully weigh in, but so far I haven't come across completely dull areas with dozens of slow non-threatening enemies leading up to bullshit gimmick bosses.
I'd love to hear back from you about that, please tell me how you're feeling about this after doing the Undead Purgatory.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You not liking it doesn't make it bad or the wrong way to go about it, though.
In my opinion it is, that's all I'm saying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

That's the thing. Dark Souls 2 isn't doing it worse, they're doing it differently. Just because you don't like it compared to Dark Souls doesn't make it bad.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd love to hear back from you about that, please tell me how you're feeling about this after doing the Undead Purgatory.

If you hate the Doom Chariot you just hate fun :colbert:

Broken Cog posted:

Does anyone know if the weapon and shield of the Sentinel boss/enemies are available to the player somewhere? I was thinking of farming the armor set and making a gimmick character wearing it.

You can farm the set in Drangleic Castle basement. There's a room with a bunch of respawning ruin sentinels that drop the armour.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 29, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cardiovorax posted:

Fair enough, I'll revise my statements when I reach the end of the game. So far I haven't run into DKS2 Lost Izalith though.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
YES YES YES

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

You can farm the set in Drangleic Castle basement. There's a room with a bunch of respawning ruin sentinels that drop the armour.

Incidentally, gently caress that room.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Hi I'm streaming. I'm like 3-4 hours into the game. Don't spoil anything and don't backseat game. Thanks!

http://www.twitch.tv/stokes79

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

If you hate the Doom Chariot you just hate fun :colbert:
An optional gimmick boss with no payoff hidden behind a hugely aggravating gauntlet of enemies that are harder than the boss fight itself? No idea why anyone would hate that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, I know about that, but I was wondering if it was possible to get the weapon and shield? I've got the feeling I've seen them before, but I can't remember the name of them.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I do feel like the maps are more dynamic in this game. There's a lot of variety in terms of the scale and layout of the paths that players can take, and there are plenty of ways to interact with the environment.

The first Dark Souls definitely had a more consistent, unified tone in its level design, but Dark Souls 2 hits way more notes and winds up feeling (to me, at least) like a richer adventure. I don't think one is better than the other. If anything it's nice that each title has a distinct vibe.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The hell is the ultra greatsword 2h L2 move supposed to do?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I know about that, but I was wondering if it was possible to get the weapon and shield? I've got the feeling I've seen them before, but I can't remember the name of them.

As far as I'm aware you can only get their armor set, not the weapon/shield.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

You know, being Ratbro'ed is annoying as hell but actually doing the Ratbro'ing is amazing experience. Everyone needs to do Ratbro'ing at least once, it likes you're leading your own strike team that get to be giant assholes and mess with people.

I can't think of any game that lets me lead a party of rats, dwarves, and elephants.

Oh and base building as well, it's great :allears:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 29, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Get people to roll around you and then wreck them when they go for a backstab?

e: Durr, left is not right.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 29, 2014

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Personal opinion, the areas are a little more compact that DS1, which can be a bit annoying. I personally like the combat system in this game more than the last. Dark souls PvP is still Dark Souls PvP, but you've got more options for it now. Co-op is fantastic in this game, much better than dark souls 1. Soul memory sucks, but overall, as long as your pressing forward on your character, it's not that bad.

The interface improvements are fanatic, IMO.

How about the PvP? Is sorcery (Dark Bead *cough* cough*) as broken as it was in DS1 PVP? Or is DS2 more balanced than it's predecessor?

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Should be a parry, like most L2 moves. Just has a delay now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DreadNite posted:

How about the PvP? Is sorcery (Dark Bead *cough* cough*) as broken as it was in DS1 PVP? Or is DS2 more balanced than it's predecessor?

All the most overpowered Dark Souls 1 spells are now their own entire overpowered spell category: Hexes. They are still mad OP.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So a guy was wearing full Havel's and using something that looked like a regular Greatsword...but he was doing 700 damage a hit. :stare:

Any clue what his deal was?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

poptart_fairy posted:

So a guy was wearing full Havel's and using something that looked like a regular Greatsword...but he was doing 700 damage a hit. :stare:

Any clue what his deal was?

He upgraded it, and other factors like his strength being really loving high. Also what's your SM?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just over a million or so. I haven't seen anyone doing that much damage with normal weapon swings yet, so it kinda threw me off.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DreadNite posted:

Magic still is very powerful. Certain melee setups can be very powerful. Apparently, with a certain build the Avelyn is extremely powerful. I can't really comment on how it's all going to shake out as people min/max to all hell, but right now it feels fairly right. I've been beaten by, and beaten casters. I've been the caster and gotten punched to death. I'd say it's too early for me to personally call. Example, the really powerful spell Dark Fog has ruined a lot of people I've fought against. Two days ago, I fought against a non-magic user who swapped between all sorts of different move sets and instantly cured the poison from Dark Fog, he kicked my rear end.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I do feel like the maps are more dynamic in this game. There's a lot of variety in terms of the scale and layout of the paths that players can take, and there are plenty of ways to interact with the environment.

The first Dark Souls definitely had a more consistent, unified tone in its level design, but Dark Souls 2 hits way more notes and winds up feeling (to me, at least) like a richer adventure. I don't think one is better than the other. If anything it's nice that each title has a distinct vibe.
I really do like the visual design of many of the areas in DS2. Majula feels really tranquil in a decayed way, which fits its theme perfectly. Getting into Heide for the first time and seeing the sea wash up against all the ruined towers is a real "whoa, that looks good" experience. Huntsman's Copse looks nicely creepy and diseased, I felt vaguely grimy all the time I was in the area. There's no real Anor Londo "whoa" moment yet, but I've seen only like half the areas in the game yet, so here's hoping.

On the other hand, there's just a lot of stuff that I think is really samey, basically unimportant and really just filler. The Bastille, Cardinal Tower and Earthen Peak are all the same kind of "featureless brickwork tunnel" design distinguished by nothing much except for a different colored lighting over them. I think the whole Harvest Valley could basically have been cut, it looks awful and there's nothing of value to be found there. Iron Keep has all the charm of a 90s era DOS game and No-Man's Wharf is basically just there as an alternate route to the Bastille if you can't beat Pursuer.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

The problem is the "supposedly". Since I was gifted the game by a generous benefactor I just said "screw it" and am playing anyway.

Durante himself has said he doesn't know if Gedosato is safe to use. I wouldn't use it yet, unless you don't care about possibly being banned I suppose.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cardiovorax posted:

I really do like the visual design of many of the areas in DS2. Majula feels really tranquil in a decayed way, which fits its theme perfectly. Getting into Heide for the first time and seeing the sea wash up against all the ruined towers is a real "whoa, that looks good" experience. Huntsman's Copse looks nicely creepy and diseased, I felt vaguely grimy all the time I was in the area. There's no real Anor Londo "whoa" moment yet, but I've seen only like half the areas in the game yet, so here's hoping.

On the other hand, there's just a lot of stuff that I think is really samey, basically unimportant and really just filler. The Bastille, Cardinal Tower and Earthen Peak are all the same kind of "featureless brickwork tunnel" design distinguished by nothing much except for a different colored lighting over them. I think the whole Harvest Valley could basically have been cut, it looks awful and there's nothing of value to be found there. Iron Keep has all the charm of a 90s era DOS game and No-Man's Wharf is basically just there as an alternate route to the Bastille if you can't beat Pursuer.

There's an area towards the very end that I felt was quite "whoa" but I dunno if anything can really compare to the first time seeing Anor Londo. To me, the jump in scope between Demon's souls and dark souls 1 was immense, where as ds2 has roughly the same scope. That sort of lessens the effect, even though I think that the areas in DS2 are overall very well crafted, if not fit together with the same care that DS1's were.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cardiovorax posted:

An optional gimmick boss with no payoff hidden behind a hugely aggravating gauntlet of enemies that are harder than the boss fight itself? No idea why anyone would hate that.
Do you mean the big guys that jump down? They aren't even that difficult as long as you make sure not to aggro more than one.

The phantom is rough and I just cheesed him from the bridge.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dezztroy posted:

Durante himself has said he doesn't know if Gedosato is safe to use. I wouldn't use it yet, unless you don't care about possibly being banned I suppose.

Oh no, I'm only using x360ce. It's generally considered safe.

DkS2 looks amazing plain to me, I wouldn't risk Gedosato.

I would point out that people have been VACced over HL1 bloom mods.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

First time I went down that path I aggro'd all of them at once and had to fight them as a group. That was one of the more harrowing experiences of the game so far, but if you inch forward you can set them off one at a time. The only ones you have to worry about are the two with axes, the whip guys are pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

As an aside, it turns out the profanity filter is client-side.

It's just not a good idea to edit it because of VAC.