Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Azzents posted:

I think it is. The skull has no eye sockets and the Frelja drops his soul. Even the name implies that it might be one of Seath's experiments from eons ago.

Nah, Freja is the pet of the guy you murder right after fighting her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Freja drops the "Old Paledrake" soul on NG, plus everything is full of crystals which were Seath's thing.

That's the influence of his soul. He soul had influenced the Duke to perform mad experiments, and it's likely the involved crystals since that was Seath's thing. The dragon corpse looks to be the corpse of a non-Harlequin stone dragon, likely dug up since stone scales are also something Seath pursued.

You still get the soul from Freija herself. I figure that, after the Duke went hollow that Seath's soul jump from the Duke to Freiha to continue it's existence. That's how Tark's master has taken many forms over the years, as he informs you.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Freja drops the "Old Paledrake" soul on NG, plus everything is full of crystals which were Seath's thing.

Also if you talk to manscorpion tark after beating Freja there is a play on words that heavilly implies it's seathe well and also the fact that he basically outright states it him.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azzents posted:

I think it is. The skull has no eye sockets and the Frelja drops his soul. Even the name implies that it might be one of Seath's experiments from eons ago.

Old Iron King drops the soul of Gwyn, and The Lost Sinner drops the soul of the Witch of Izalith, yet I don't think they're literally the same people. Who knows about Nito/The Rotten, they're kinda unique
I guess you could say they're incarnations or something, but personally it just feels like easter eggs, because DS2 is trying to be "DS1 but thousands of years in the future" so hard.

I think the dead dragon there is just the ancient dragon you meet in the memory. Don't think he necessarily means more to the story than that. Don't really know what the point of that memory was to be honest.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The Duke? Wonder if he keeps archives.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

And you use that soul to craft the Moonlight Greatsword, which you recieved by cutting his tail off on the last game.

Also he has that laser breath attack. Plus, you know, the books. I think the layout of places changes over time.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yeah there is no way it isn't seathe since there is a ridiculous amount of stuff telling you it is him.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Red Crown posted:

Jesus Sinner's Rise is loving annoying solo. I first went through it with summons and it was piss easy, but if you go solo the giant demons have a huge AoE swipe that does a fuckton of damage so you can't just backstab -> have your friends annihilate them. Ugh.

Send the elevator back up, lead them to the elevator room and lure them to a watery grave in that hole. If you have any decent ranged attacks, they pretty much can't touch you if you circle around the hole too. I think you can also lead them on top of the elevator platform and they'll usually die from the fall when they try to get back to you.

The giant guys are also slow as gently caress so in theory you could probably just make a run for those steps and worry more about the mummies that are much faster before the big guys made it halfway to the other door.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Broken Cog posted:

Old Iron King drops the soul of Gwyn, and The Lost Sinner drops the soul of the Witch of Izalith, yet I don't think they're literally the same people. Who knows about Nito/The Rotten, they're kinda unique
I guess you could say they're incarnations or something, but personally it just feels like easter eggs, because DS2 is trying to be "DS1 but thousands of years in the future" so hard.

I think the dead dragon there is just the ancient dragon you meet in the memory. Don't think he necessarily means more to the story than that. Don't really know what the point of that memory was to be honest.

In the first game the lord souls were discovered, inherited. It doesn't seem a stretch to assume they were inherited again, but are not literally the same people.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I pretty much explained all that with videogames

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Lost Sinner has the maggot you find at the heart of the Bed of Bullshit crawling into her eyesocket. The bosses probably aren't straight up mutated DaS1 bosses but they are influenced/~*corrupted*~ by them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loving love this lore talk. :D

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kimmalah posted:

Send the elevator back up, lead them to the elevator room and lure them to a watery grave in that hole. If you have any decent ranged attacks, they pretty much can't touch you if you circle around the hole too. I think you can also lead them on top of the elevator platform and they'll usually die from the fall when they try to get back to you.

The giant guys are also slow as gently caress so in theory you could probably just make a run for those steps and worry more about the mummies that are much faster before the big guys made it halfway to the other door.

The mummies pathing is kinda bad and they'll fall off the bridge to the fog gate a lot. Much like how every blood stain around that gate is people being dumb and falling into the water.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah there is no way it isn't seathe since there is a ridiculous amount of stuff telling you it is him.

No one's saying Seath isn't there, he obviously is. It's that the corpse is not Seath's, it's a regular stone dragon. Duke came into possession of Seath's soul via the Writhing Ruin (which is mentioned by Tark but never seen in game; nothing suggests it's something in the game, at least), influenced to dig up Brightstone cove due to the presence of the dragon, influenced increased and he started performing crazy experiments, then the Soul body hopped to Freija as the Duke was soon to turn hollow.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

their lil poopers posted:

I just sprint through that area like a wuss. Works out well. The cowards way out is a good plan most of the time, like curse part of shaded forest.

I just realized that you can do that. I thought the gate was closed and I had to fight my way through :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Red Crown posted:

Jesus Sinner's Rise is loving annoying solo. I first went through it with summons and it was piss easy, but if you go solo the giant demons have a huge AoE swipe that does a fuckton of damage so you can't just backstab -> have your friends annihilate them. Ugh.

The giant guys are deceived by both alluring skulls and the Yearn spell so you can get free guaranteed backstabs or just run past them if you have access to either.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

How come nobody ever cares about Crestfallen Bro being reincarnated over and over again?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

The guy with his back turned and his nose buried in a book? If you have the ring of whispers and talk to Manscorpion Tark he mentions that his master never dies and changes forms so that "he may seethe for all eternity" so it's implied that either the duke or Felja are Seath reincarnate.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I've noticed something and I was wondering is Benhart's armor just from Mirrah, or did he find it after the actual Creighton abandoned it? Probably the only similarities are parts of the design, like the emblem on the cloth front and that's probably it really. Still that similarity intrigued me when I started to compare armors to see which looked good on my character.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

No one's saying Seath isn't there, he obviously is. It's that the corpse is not Seath's, it's a regular stone dragon. Duke came into possession of Seath's soul via the Writhing Ruin (which is mentioned by Tark but never seen in game; nothing suggests it's something in the game, at least), influenced to dig up Brightstone cove due to the presence of the dragon, influenced increased and he started performing crazy experiments, then the Soul body hopped to Freija as the Duke was soon to turn hollow.

Seath is the only dragon that looks like that and there's zero reason for the dead dragon sitting in the big ol crystal mine hovering over the boss you get Seath's soul from to not be him. Plus, there were no stone dragons, coprses or otherwise by the time Dark Souls happened. Seath's whole thing was that he went insane trying to find dragon scales because he lost his.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
^^^
There was one Everlasting Dragon still alive in DS1...

Azzents posted:

The guy with his back turned and his nose buried in a book? If you have the ring of whispers and talk to Manscorpion Tark he mentions that his master never dies and changes forms so that "he may seethe for all eternity" so it's implied that either the duke or Felja are Seath reincarnate.

Oh, I talked to Tark but that bit slipped my mind. Makes sense.

Although the Seath/Seethe connection sounds a bit too cheesy for my taste.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Plus, there were no stone dragons, coprses or otherwise by the time Dark Souls happened.

YES HUH

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Manatee Cannon posted:

Seath is the only dragon that looks like that and there's zero reason for the dead dragon sitting in the big ol crystal mine hovering over the boss you get Seath's soul from to not be him. Plus, there were no stone dragons, coprses or otherwise by the time Dark Souls happened. Seath's whole thing was that he went insane trying to find dragon scales because he lost his.

Later in the game, you can enter a memory by that dragon, and in it, you meet a giant, dying "Ancient Dragon" that looks nothing like Seath. I'm pretty sure it's just that, and it's down there so people can go "Holy poo poo, this Spider has captured a dragon!".

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Corpse has Seath's tentacles, and stone dragons have a much different shape. The grey appearance is likely just from the whole dead thing. It seems highly unlikely to only be a random completely unseen dragon, instead of being the dragon all the clues point to. Everything else could not be Lordran though, place is huge.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Later in the game, you can enter a memory by that dragon, and in it, you meet a giant, dying "Ancient Dragon" that looks nothing like Seath. I'm pretty sure it's just that, and it's down there so people can go "Holy poo poo, this Spider has captured a dragon!".

I'm not that far in but is this Ancient Dragon half calamari like Seath is? That was the product of his research and being insane, normal dragons aren't Cthulhu from the waste down.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Whats the deal with VAC now? The steam store page claims the game is VAC protected. Basically everyone who uses ds2fix (which uses a hook injection) could get banned if it's true!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

neetengie posted:

They're pretty good because they have B scaling for their respective uses. I wouldn't recommend upgrading them because you can get better stuff, but they're worth buying.

Speaking of, what is a good Staff for hexing? I know what I'm aiming for Chime wise but Staff? gently caress if I know.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The Ancient Dragon you meet gives you a giant soul for beating it. The dragon memory in Freja's chamber just shows a big dead regular dragon. You get the ancient dragon soul from the memory, so I assumed the entire purpose of it (along with Nashandra's dialogue) was to demonstrate that the Ancient Dragon you meet in Dragon Aerie is a fake. Can someone take (good) screenshots of the dragon in Freja's chamber? I don't remember it looking like Seath at all.

For comparison here is Seath:

e: and Ancient Dragon

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 29, 2014

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Ancient Dragon is really kicking my rear end. Sometimes it feels luck based on whether or not the flame attack from above will screw me over despite doing everything to prepare for it. Also the run back to the boss is a colossal pain in the rear end too and summoning other players to help only makes the fight worse in my experience so far (they all die within 20 seconds).

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Speaking of, what is a good Staff for hexing? I know what I'm aiming for Chime wise but Staff? gently caress if I know.

Black Witch Staff, Staff of Amana. Infuse with Dark. It's kind of a wash between the two. BWS has the benefit of being able to cast all types of sorceries/hexes/miracles, SoA gets a bonus to damage when you're human form.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 29, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm starting to see a trend as I play of humanoid bosses all sucking. They're all terrible :effort: bullshit, most can't handle you literally just walking in circles around them. The worst offender I've seen so far is Old Dragonslayer which is literally just Ornstein copy&pasted with a different color palette. Did the development team run out of money halfway into the game or something? :psyduck:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Xoidanor posted:

I'm starting to see a trend as I play of humanoid bosses all sucking. They're all terrible :effort: bullshit, most can't handle you literally just walking in circles around them. The worst offender I've seen so far is Old Dragonslayer which is literally just Ornstein copy&pasted with a different color palette. Did the development team run out of money halfway into the game or something? :psyduck:

As far as I know, they didn't.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Umberger posted:

Black Witch Staff, Staff of Amana. Infuse with Dark. It's kind of a wash between the two. BWS has the benefit of being able to cast all types of sorceries/hexes/miracles, SoA gets a bonus to damage when you're human form.
What does infusing a catalyst actually do? Does it actually boost spells, or just make you deal more damage when you smack things with it? Does it have to be the same infuse type as the spell you're casting?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

I think the problem is that everyone said Ornstein & Smough and Artorias were their favorite fights, so FROM tried to appeal to the "knightly duel" crowd as opposed to the "slayer of horrific monsters" crowd. I think the balance of "big dude in armor" and "horrific abomination" fights is good in Dark Souls 2, you also have to keep in mind there are a lot more boss fights in Dark Souls 2 than 1.

misguided rage posted:

What does infusing a catalyst actually do? Does it actually boost spells, or just make you deal more damage when you smack things with it? Does it have to be the same infuse type as the spell you're casting?

Changes its scaling/attack ratings/bonuses. So if your staff has 150 + B scaling in Magic and 150 + B scaling in Dark, then a Magic infusion might make it 175 + A scaling in Magic but a 125 + C scaling in Dark. It can still cast the same stuff, it's just "specialized".

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Xoidanor posted:

There's a lot of stuff in this game that kinda feels like fanservice, and it rubs me the wrong way. I guess that's what you can expect from sequels, though.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

misguided rage posted:

Magic damage determines spell damage, dark damage determines hex damage. Pretty straight forward. Enchant if you only use one, don't if you want to use both. Weapons are also naturally good for one or the other.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Broken Cog posted:

There's a lot of stuff in this game that kinda feels like fanservice, and it rubs me the wrong way. I guess that's what you can expect from sequels, though.

Not really something to expect from sequels, just something to expect from people looking for an easy way out.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

Well, I mean, The Old Dragonslayer IS supposed to be Ornstein/some sort of copy of Ornstein. Why would they NOT be similar? And I love the bosses on this game on the whole, I think there's a really good variety.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

misguided rage posted:

You want to infuse for the type of spell you plan to use. If you like being Zeus and throwing lighting at everyone, infuse for lightning. Plain magic is good for stuff like soul arrow, dark is for hexes and I don't think you can infuse pyromancy flames anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

From what I have played so far it seems like they have gone for a more mundane approach to the bosses. Nothing as cool as the boss of Depths or anything like that.

Is there any disadvantage to summoning friends just for the sake of sharing the love? Does it increase enemy health or split the souls?