Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Elysiume posted:

Do you mean the big guys that jump down? They aren't even that difficult as long as you make sure not to aggro more than one.

The phantom is rough and I just cheesed him from the bridge.
Based on when you can get there (right after Dragonrider, basically) they're majorly out of depth. Probably some of the toughter enemies you could be fighting at that point, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Tallgeese posted:

As an aside, it turns out the profanity filter is client-side.

It's just not a good idea to edit it because of VAC.

That might explain why I sunbrod a guy named "Douchebag" with no filters on his name

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

So a guy was wearing full Havel's and using something that looked like a regular Greatsword...but he was doing 700 damage a hit. :stare:

Any clue what his deal was?

Wait until you get wrecked by some little poo poo using a fully-upgraded wooden ladle :colbert:

Also, never change Nexus

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/36/

:allears:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Manatee Cannon posted:

First time I went down that path I aggro'd all of them at once and had to fight them as a group. That was one of the more harrowing experiences of the game so far, but if you inch forward you can set them off one at a time. The only ones you have to worry about are the two with axes, the whip guys are pathetic.
I had to run that corridor an embarrassing number of times and occasionally all four of them would jump down immediately as soon as I turned the corner, which was pretty unmanageable. I never could figure out why. When you pull them one at a time then yeah they're mostly chumps, just kinda tedious. They still do a lot of damage though so if you're slightly impatient you still run the risk of getting stunned to death.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Propaganda Hour posted:

That might explain why I sunbrod a guy named "Douchebag" with no filters on his name

No no, as in it reads a file on your computer to apply the filter. Douchebag isn't filtered.

Basically, everything is censored on the receiver's end.

I haven't seen this level of bad decision-making since Hellgate: London.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 30, 2014

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Magic still is very powerful. Certain melee setups can be very powerful. Apparently, with a certain build the Avelyn is extremely powerful. I can't really comment on how it's all going to shake out as people min/max to all hell, but right now it feels fairly right. I've been beaten by, and beaten casters. I've been the caster and gotten punched to death. I'd say it's too early for me to personally call. Example, the really powerful spell Dark Fog has ruined a lot of people I've fought against. Two days ago, I fought against a non-magic user who swapped between all sorts of different move sets and instantly cured the poison from Dark Fog, he kicked my rear end.

It still sounds like it has the same feel as DS1. And even though that was unbalanced, I still loved making different characters to exploit those advantages.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus christ, the Sinner HAS been nerfed. Lucatiel soloed her. :psyduck:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I got to the Door to the Pharos for the first time and after killing the giant elephant dude Gavlan came down the stairs and attacked me, I thought we were bros :( . I ran for the bonfire so I wouldn't have to kill him. Any idea what could cause this? And am I basically poo poo out of luck for selling him my junk or buying his?

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 30, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I got to the Door to the Pharos for the first time and after killing the giant elephant dude Gavlan came down the stairs and attacked me, I though we were bros :sad: . I ran for the bonfire so I wouldn't have to kill him. Any idea what could cause this? And am I basically poo poo out of luck for selling him my junk or buying his?

That wasn't Gavlan.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I got to the Door to the Pharos for the first time and after killing the giant elephant dude Gavlan came down the stairs and attacked me, I though we were bros :sad: . I ran for the bonfire so I wouldn't have to kill him. Any idea what could cause this? And am I basically poo poo out of luck for selling him my junk or buying his?

Right, because all dwarves look the same to you.

Racist.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Welp, That's good to know. Maybe if they won't all dress alike and grow the same beard I could tell them apart :colbert: .

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Right, because all dwarves look the same to you.

Racist.

They're not dwarves, they're Gyrm you moron :colbert:

They are totally dwarves.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Somebody talk heavy armour to me. Where do I go after Elite Knight Set? I have a single piece each of Old Knight and Heide Knight, as well as an almost complete set of Dranleic while wearing a Tower Shield +3 and want to make a tanky Black Iron Tarkus style sunbro character.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Somebody talk heavy armour to me. Where do I go after Elite Knight Set? I have a single piece each of Old Knight and Heide Knight, as well as an almost complete set of Dranleic while wearing a Tower Shield +3 and want to make a tanky Black Iron Tarkus style sunbro character.

The armour merchant in Majula sells it after you've bought some of his wares. The more you buy from him the more his inventory grows.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

There's always the Ironclad set. Become one with the turtle. Real answer, Haval's set in the Gutter. You need a key from Black Gulch to get it though.

Some of the boss armor that armor salesman in Majula sells is pretty good, too.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

edit: nvm misread

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
As terrible as GFWL was, at least you could send and receive messages to and from random people on it :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

I really do like the visual design of many of the areas in DS2. Majula feels really tranquil in a decayed way, which fits its theme perfectly. Getting into Heide for the first time and seeing the sea wash up against all the ruined towers is a real "whoa, that looks good" experience. Huntsman's Copse looks nicely creepy and diseased, I felt vaguely grimy all the time I was in the area. There's no real Anor Londo "whoa" moment yet, but I've seen only like half the areas in the game yet, so here's hoping.

On the other hand, there's just a lot of stuff that I think is really samey, basically unimportant and really just filler. The Bastille, Cardinal Tower and Earthen Peak are all the same kind of "featureless brickwork tunnel" design distinguished by nothing much except for a different colored lighting over them. I think the whole Harvest Valley could basically have been cut, it looks awful and there's nothing of value to be found there. Iron Keep has all the charm of a 90s era DOS game and No-Man's Wharf is basically just there as an alternate route to the Bastille if you can't beat Pursuer.

See I don't agree with this at all. I think almost all the areas in this game are great, the ones I do have a problem with aren't even listed. Lost Bastille and Earthen Peak are nothing alike. Lost Bastille is an eerily quiet and isolated area. A former prison that long ago stopped serving its purpose yet is still populated by guard and inmate alike. All sitting in near complete silence until you disturb the silence of the ruins. Its a monument of an age long gone and is trapped in that past for eternity.

Earthen Peak couldn't be more different. Its one of the few places in Drangleic that is still functioning. As you climb up the tower, your surrounded by the sound of creaking gears and turning blades as it continues to churn out endless amounts of toxic. Unlike other areas, Earthen Peak is almost entirely vertically oriented and if you gaze down you can see the entire twisted machine layed out before you, along with the countless mannikin skittering through it. Both it and the Bastille feature narrow corridors with little room for movement, but that's about where the similarities end.

And there isn't really an Anor Londo "whoa" moment yet because they didn't want there to be one. When you see this games equivalent of Anor Londo it invokes a different feeling, because they aren't just trying to repeat what they did last game.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say the world and lore in this game is perfect, and it does have some major problems namely when it comes to how all the areas connect together. However, I don't think people are giving the story of this game nearly enough credit.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 30, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Am I a bad person for using the Old Sun Ring in PvP?
I mean, it usually doesn't change the outcome of a fight, but holy hell does it feel cheap to use.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

tractor fanatic posted:

As terrible as GFWL was, at least you could send and receive messages to and from random people on it :(

Souls games shouldn't even show you names quite frankly, it should be as uncomfortable and anonymous as possible.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

This is incredible.

Tallgeese posted:

Oh no, I'm only using x360ce.

Oh, alright then

Namco/FROM really needs to come out and talk about their VAC implementation and what's allowed or not. They've kept everyone completely in the dark about wether the game actually uses VAC or not, and they haven't even outright said that bans from other games blocking online play isn't intentional. I haven't even played more than 5 hours because of missing online.

I doubt they will though, seeing as they're a Japanese company and probably don't even know how VAC works.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

DreadNite posted:

How about the PvP? Is sorcery (Dark Bead *cough* cough*) as broken as it was in DS1 PVP? Or is DS2 more balanced than it's predecessor?

You can get a shield that weighs 2 units with 100% magic block and a shield that weighs 0.5 units with 100% dark block, so ranged magic is not really a problem. The real op bullshit comes in the form of the fact that a buffed weapon infused with your school of magic's preferred elemental damage does like twice as much damage per swing as the same weapon on a regular +10 upgrade path, making a pure melee character pointless in PvP.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I haven't really been looking up best weapons and such but this +10 Lightening Mastodon Greatsword seems pretty baller. I like my +10 Zweihander but sometimes you just need something you can swing a hell of a lot faster.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Gazaar posted:

Souls games shouldn't even show you names quite frankly, it should be as uncomfortable and anonymous as possible.

I dunno, I get a kick out of seeing some people's names. yesterday I saw a guy named Nilla of Wafer.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah the names definitely add a little something.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Dear Eric,

Don't try and camp people spawning into Belfry Luna then turn around a second before they spawn.

Love,

The +10 mace I hammered into your brain.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dezztroy posted:

I doubt they will though, seeing as they're a Japanese company and probably don't even know how VAC works.

Probably isn't strong enough of a word there considering that dudes with other-engine VAC bans are still out.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Streaming my blind playthrough for your entertainment or lack thereof.

http://www.twitch.tv/thekaeto

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Since VGCW is on I'm just idling in the rat cave and running off a cliff each time I get summoned. I think I'm doing better than I ever did before in PVP, it's just losses instead of overwhelming embarrassing ones!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone else get a steam server hiccup and can't join or summon anyone?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure I'm the world's worst PvPer. I've invaded/been invaded at least a dozen times so far, including some ratbro-ing of my own, and I have won ONE fight, and the guy was afk and I just had to kill him before his bluebuddy could off me. Someone, tell me the top 10 secrets big pharma doesn't want me to know about PvP.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Internet Kraken posted:

See I don't agree with this at all. I think almost all the areas in this game are great, the ones I do have a problem with aren't even listed. Lost Bastille and Earthen Peak are nothing alike. Lost Bastille is an eerily quiet and isolated area. A former prison that long ago stopped serving its purpose yet is still populated by guard and inmate alike. All sitting in near complete silence until you disturb the silence of the ruins. Its a monument of an age long gone and is trapped in that past for eternity.

Earthen Peak couldn't be more different. Its one of the few places in Drangleic that is still functioning. As you climb up the tower, your surrounded by the sound of creaking gears and turning blades as it continues to churn out endless amounts of toxic. Unlike other areas, Earthen Peak is almost entirely vertically oriented and if you gaze down you can see the entire twisted machine layed out before you, along with the countless mannikin skittering through it. Both it and the Bastille feature narrow corridors with little room for movement, but that's about where the similarities end.
And I'm sure it's all very thematic, but I still thought it was visually boring, because I'm heartily sick of brownish-grayish brick corridors in any configuration at this point.

Internet Kraken posted:

And there isn't really an Anor Londo "whoa" moment yet because they didn't want there to be one. When you see this games equivalent of Anor Londo it invokes a different feeling, because they aren't just trying to repeat what they did last game.
Look, I get it already, but just because they were trying to do something doesn't mean I have to think it's was a good idea or that they succeeded at it in a way that improves the game. I didn't enjoy those areas. Whatever they were going for fell totally flat for me and I'd have preferred if they had done it differently. That's all.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Elysiume posted:

Do you mean the big guys that jump down? They aren't even that difficult as long as you make sure not to aggro more than one.

The phantom is rough and I just cheesed him from the bridge.

Even more than one is doable if you can run far enough to separate them a bit. As I found when three of them decided to aggro on me at once (admittedly I almost died about 2 times).

The phantom guy was weird for me. I fell off the bridge and died while I was trying to kill him, then he just wasn't there anymore when I came back. :shrug:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

alarumklok posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the world's worst PvPer. I've invaded/been invaded at least a dozen times so far, including some ratbro-ing of my own, and I have won ONE fight, and the guy was afk and I just had to kill him before his bluebuddy could off me. Someone, tell me the top 10 secrets big pharma doesn't want me to know about PvP.

How to win 95% of NG invasions: Equip the biggest weapon you have, ignore phantoms, spam guard breaks on the host.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

alarumklok posted:

Um, that's kind of hard to say, it depends a lot on what they/you are doing. Um general things. 1. Always try and keep enough stamina for a roll. 2. Don't overuse one move, try and mix it up with other moves or swapping weapons quickly. 3. Ranged weapons are useful. A quick throwing dagger is extra a bit of extra damage, and it can surprise people. 4. The guard break is absurdly useful if they are overusing a shield. If you succeed at hitting them, immediately get close and hit R1 for a potential riposte for strong damage. 5. Poison is very effective to the unprepared. If you can poison someone, you will often win your fight with little trouble. Mind you, if the person you are fighting immediately uses a consumable to counter it, then you know you're dealing with a tough opponent.

That's all I got without knowing what you are using/how you play.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 30, 2014

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Just finished a no-death run on the seventh attempt. My first actually got all the way to the Dragon Shrine, where I proceeded to get completely murdered by the large-mace wielding Drakekeepers - I filled them with arrows this run.

I played online since I knew the risk of being invaded was pretty low, but summoning ended up hurting as much as it helped because of how much it buffed the bosses HP. I actually had to homeward bone out of the Throne D/W fight because the guy I summoned got murdered and they were simply to tanky to kill. Used the Knight's starting Broadsword, an Estoc, and the Silver Eagle Kite Shield the whole game, with the Sea Bow as my ranged option.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Is there something up with my controller if guard break only works like 20% of the time?

I tried the same button combo with keyboard and I can do it 100% so it seems like it.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

THE PWNER posted:

Is there something up with my controller if guard break only works like 20% of the time?

I tried the same button combo with keyboard and I can do it 100% so it seems like it.

I found that Jump Attack and Guard Break require a lot of precision when moving the stick up. If I'm off to the side even a little bit, I do a regular attack. Moving the stick very quickly and firmly helps, as suggestive as that sounds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

No, it just seems to have really tight timing for some reason, a lot of people are finding it really hard. I used to be able to do the kick attack successfully nearly 100% of the time and only manage the guard break maybe one time in four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

alarumklok posted:

Don't keep your shield up, people guard break all the time then one shot you.

Don't use heavy weapons, people will see it coming a mile away and you won't ever hit anything.

Don't forget that your opponent is human and prone to the same mistakes and emotions you are.

Don't equip extra weapons, it will just slow you down (unless you are afraid of your stuff breaking).

Don't throw items or drink estus if the enemy is not fleeing, you will get closed in on and die.

Don't let caster classes get away from you if your goal is to close in and attack.

Don't presume someone is weak just because they aren't wearing thick armor or big weapons.

Don't forget that your opponent has access to all the items and options that you do, and often times more.

Don't mash attack needlessly, keep your attacks short and sweet unless you are sure they will connect or kill.

Don't give up heart, 99% of those people you encounter read guides and PVP build setups and have far more experience than you.

Over all the biggest #1 tip I can give you is Don't bother. You gain nothing from fighting except for a hollow, empty feeling after you realize that you have became a murderer.