Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Cardiovorax posted:

No, it just seems to have really tight timing for some reason, a lot of people are finding it really hard. I used to be able to do the kick attack successfully nearly 100% of the time and only manage the guard break maybe one time in four.

drat between this and the new parry timing pvp has become a whole lot harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

While I don't think the bosses in this game are much more difficult than DaS I, I do think it is possible to be killed by them much more quickly. Whenever I co-op with someone and that person dies, it's almost always within the first 15 seconds of the boss fight.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Is there a way to break large titanite pieces into smaller ones? I got plenty of big ones from being a Bellbro but I need small ones now.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is there a way to break large titanite pieces into smaller ones? I got plenty of big ones from being a Bellbro but I need small ones now.

drat you bellbroing bastard, I'd tell you to go jump off a cliff and die but all it'd do is set you back some souls :argh:

Sorry for the vitriol but I had another lovely specialized PVPer use poison and got double teamed on. Bellbros are just utter dicks.

If only you could beat down other grey phantoms, I'd join bellbros in a heartbeat. As a bellbro killer :getin:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

nftyw posted:

No, and get bent you murderous gangbanging piece of garbage. People don't need invading when trying to learn how to fight the gargoyles!

Sorry for the vitriol but I had another lovely specialized PVPer use poison and got double teamed on. Bellbros are just utter dicks.

If only you could beat down other grey phantoms, I'd join bellbros in a heartbeat. As a bellbro killer :getin:

I hope I killed you at least once in my day long Luna rampage, today.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

nftyw posted:

Over all the biggest #1 tip I can give you is Don't bother. You gain nothing from fighting except for a hollow, empty feeling after you realize that you have became a murderer.

Excuse me but who will protect the bells if not Us?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'd really appreciate it we had a "What are the PC controls" on the OP.

How do you with keyboard and mouse do:

Leap Attack
Shield Break/Shoulder Attack
Switch arrows on a bow?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

I hope I killed you at least once in my day long Luna rampage, today.

Nah, I was watching VGCW so I idled in Ratbro territory and jumped off a cliff each time I got summoned. Free rat tails for the rat troopers :toot:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

nftyw posted:

Over all the biggest #1 tip I can give you is Don't bother. You gain nothing from fighting except for a hollow, empty feeling after you realize that you have became a murderer.

This is basically my philosophy right now, and I just scream some nerd-expletives at the screen when I get invaded and then go back to whatever I was doing after I kick the bucket. I'll keep everyone's tips in mind though, maybe I can progress to hitting them a few times before I inevitably die. One can dream!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Speaking of Bellbros do they ever come one on one? Every time I get 2 of them coming at me.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
I actually wrote a pretty good steam guide on how to play well on a PC

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253238027&searchtext=keyboard

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

alarumklok posted:

This is basically my philosophy right now, and I just scream some nerd-expletives at the screen when I get invaded and then go back to whatever I was doing after I kick the bucket. I'll keep everyone's tips in mind though, maybe I can progress to hitting them a few times before I inevitably die. One can dream!

I'd practice evading attacks primarily, knowing exactly how and where each attack can come from is very helpful. Forget about attacking, each time the assholes look open they'll just roll away and get free invincibility frames. I just got owned again in the bell tower thanks to a roll attack, but it did remind me of those attacks' existance. And I didn't even get a second invader, wow! I keep wondering why I go back there, honestly.

(It's because I too hope and dream of winning one battle, someday)

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Speaking of Bellbros do they ever come one on one? Every time I get 2 of them coming at me.

No.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've often fought people one at a time in the belltower.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

The system works such that the game will summon up to two Bellbros, then you won't get invaded for about 5-10 minutes. More than enough time to clear the place out and escape through the mist.

It's rare that the two Bellbros won't show up more or less back to back.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

The system works such that the game will summon up to two Bellbros, then you won't get invaded for about 5-10 minutes. More than enough time to clear the place out and escape through the mist.

Right into the Gargoyle fight. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, as it were. At least they can't follow you in there, imagine the salty tears if they could!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I had a naked guy sprint past me down in the Rat King's lair and I felt really dumb about it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Yodzilla posted:

I had a naked guy sprint past me down in the Rat King's lair and I felt really dumb about it.

I followed some guy running through the catacombs disguised as a rat statue and backstabbed him just as he was about to walk toward the bonfire fog door.

Probably the most fun I've had in that covenant, other than when one of the invaders I fought got an axe to the head.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Someone tell me if this is a bug or not. I cleared every enemy in the ROOM OF DEATH at Drangleic but one door still hasn't opened for me. I've explored every other path in the castle, and the last thing I want to do is rest at the bonfire and respawn those 4 goddamn sentinels.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sanctum posted:

Someone tell me if this is a bug or not. I cleared every enemy in the ROOM OF DEATH at Drangleic but one door still hasn't opened for me. I've explored every other path in the castle, and the last thing I want to do is rest at the bonfire and respawn those 4 goddamn sentinels.

Those doors need souls to open, so you have to kill an enemy close to them.

As far as I remember, there isn't anything special behind that door, if it makes you feel better. There is something hidden in the third room on the left, though.

neetengie posted:

IIRC it's the Royal Soldiers Ring +1.

Scratch that then, it's pretty drat useful.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 30, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone do me a favor and remind me where the shortcut door in No Man's Wharf is so I can summon Lucatiel? I blew a bonfire ascetic on it. May have to blow another on Lost Sinner but whatever.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Yodzilla posted:

At the bonfire near The Rotten I kept seeing a naked blue guy in a loincloth with a giant club and red bowlcut hairstyle. I guess he was dying to the boss or was farming stuff because he just kept reappearing every minute or two.

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone do me a favor and remind me where the shortcut door in No Man's Wharf is so I can summon Lucatiel? I blew a bonfire ascetic on it. May have to blow another on Lost Sinner but whatever.

It's that metal door next to the house with the two archers on the roof. The only way I ever found to get behind the door was to drop down on a wooden ledge underneath the cliff in front of the house with Gavlan/those black things in it. From there you just go in the door, through the house and back out to a little hallway with a pull chain/lever thing in it.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 30, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's a bug, that door should open. Has a chest but I forget what's in it.

You could use a white phantom for the sentinels to make it easier on yourself.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Broken Cog posted:

As far as I remember, there isn't anything special behind that door, if it makes you feel better. There is something hidden in the third room on the left, though.

IIRC it's the Royal Soldiers Ring +1.
edit: third room on the right i mean

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a building right in front on where you step onto the dock, go in there and up two stories.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a building right in front on where you step onto the dock, go in there and up two stories.

Thanks!

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

nftyw posted:

Right into the Gargoyle fight. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, as it were. At least they can't follow you in there, imagine the salty tears if they could!

Makes me wanna offline that section :ohdear:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

nftyw posted:

drat you bellbroing bastard, I'd tell you to go jump off a cliff and die but all it'd do is set you back some souls :argh:

The bellboys aren't so bad if you can break down their cooperation. At least in Bellfry Luna there are lots of ways to separate a bellboy duo and kill them one at a time.

This is why I try to fight in the room with the holes in the floor. It gives lots of options--you can try to punt or trick one into rolling into a hole, then take on the other one. Or you can dodge into a hole yourself if things get dicey and play a runaway game.

But my favorite trick is to run to the door leading back towards the Bastille and close it. When they inevitably try to open it, two-handed Zweihander stab through the door.

I like Sunbroing at the Belfry. A nice mix of PvP and a bossfight made much easier with a friend to help out. People are generally grateful for the help, and you can return to your home planet (the Sun) by leaping off the roof after killing the gargoyles. It's how I unwind.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Oh goddammit. It's Tuesday :negative:

I'm loving the game so far. I'm at the Ruin Sentinels just waiting to bro it up with some people, but goddamn I'm getting sick of this fight. The enemies themselves aren't too terrible, but I seem to be placed in the absolute dumbest gently caress groups ever. Either I get some phantom with a giant Eagle Shield that blocks the pathway to the onslaught room leading up to the bosses, or I get people who don't understand to pull the bosses away from the host so we can each fight one instead of one dude fighting all three bosses.

As for the level design, I think it's a mixed bag. I love the look and feel of the DS2 levels a hell of a lot more than the first game. There's no loving Blighttown or Valley of the Giants to suffer through that I've seen, and instead we get :black101: Pirates :black101: and a pretty city. The downside is that they aren't really connected to each other, which was one of the coolest parts about the first game. It's a bit of a trade-off, I guess, but as a whole I think I like DS2 a little more.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've figured out the Ancient Dragon fight: use Gower's ring and a ring to delay equipment destruction, and turn when you get flame breathed away from it so it counts as a backstab. It's no longer a really hard fight, it's just exceedingly tedious and everybody I summon in dies like a moron immediately.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Axel Serenity posted:

Oh goddammit. It's Tuesday :negative:

I'm loving the game so far. I'm at the Ruin Sentinels just waiting to bro it up with some people, but goddamn I'm getting sick of this fight. The enemies themselves aren't too terrible, but I seem to be placed in the absolute dumbest gently caress groups ever. Either I get some phantom with a giant Eagle Shield that blocks the pathway to the onslaught room leading up to the bosses, or I get people who don't understand to pull the bosses away from the host so we can each fight one instead of one dude fighting all three bosses.
Just ignore them and go somewhere else. There is actually nothing behind them except for the first Belltower and one of the Great Soul fights, which isn't really pressing. They become much, much easier once you have ten more levels' worth of Vit under your belt, so go make some actual progress in an area that isn't a dead end.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Broken Cog posted:

Oh gently caress me. I lured the ones on that side over with a bow because I didn't want to aggro the 2 remaining sentinels on the opposite side.

I must have missed some other path in the castle. This entire game has been frustrating me in that way, I just want to defeat an area boss and move on instead of backtracking to check every locked door and blocked path hoping to find the way to the next area.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I did it, I finally legit won a grey phantom bellbro fight after god knows how many losses. Threw a fire jar at him as the finisher and he blew up. This one's for all of you people getting murdered across the globe by grey phantoms, God bless you all.

Then a red phantom appeared and killed me. With poison again. I wouldn't mind except the game seems to think that I'm not worthy enough to buy infinite poison heals :v:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

Just ignore them and go somewhere else. There is actually nothing behind them except for the first Belltower and one of the Great Soul fights, which isn't really pressing. They become much, much easier once you have ten more levels' worth of Vit under your belt, so go make some actual progress in an area that isn't a dead end.

Is there a preference on which Belltower I should join, though?

Plus, the issue isn't that we can't beat them. I've helped quite a few others with it in my quest to keep my humanity. I just keep getting the absolute derps.

I do have to give props to the dude who closed the onslaught room door behind the host and I, though, and watched as we fought ourselves to the death. With VAC enabled now, there are only so many ways to be a dick to people, and that was a pretty drat good one.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Is it a good idea/viable to respec for a NG+ run? I finished the game today for the first time on a dual weilding swordsman and while it was a lot of fun to dodge roll around and cheese certain stuff with poison arrows, I kinda want to play the game in a way that doesn't mean I die if I get hit. I've invested a lot of titanite and junk into my current armor/weapons and don't know if I should respec/regear and trudge on or just restart with a new character.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I've figured out the Ancient Dragon fight: use Gower's ring and a ring to delay equipment destruction, and turn when you get flame breathed away from it so it counts as a backstab. It's no longer a really hard fight, it's just exceedingly tedious and everybody I summon in dies like a moron immediately.

I'm being really finicky but Gower's protects from all back damage, it's not the AD flame breath being considered a backstab.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

Plus, the issue isn't that we can't beat them. I've helped quite a few others with it in my quest to keep my humanity. I just keep getting the absolute derps.
There's only one bell covenant, so I don't think it really matters. I'd still recommend putting it off for later, though, because the Ruin Sentinels are seriously the hardest boss you'll see in the entire first two thirds of the game and it's an exercise in frustration if you go there right out of the Forest of Giants.

nozh posted:

Is it a good idea/viable to respec for a NG+ run? I finished the game today for the first time on a dual weilding swordsman and while it was a lot of fun to dodge roll around and cheese certain stuff with poison arrows, I kinda want to play the game in a way that doesn't mean I die if I get hit. I've invested a lot of titanite and junk into my current armor/weapons and don't know if I should respec/regear and trudge on or just restart with a new character.
You can find enough Soul Vessels to basically respec as often as you want, so just go for it and spec back if it doesn't work out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Axel Serenity posted:

It doesn't matter which, you get summoned to both. It's based on your soul memory.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

nftyw posted:

Don't use heavy weapons, people will see it coming a mile away and you won't ever hit anything.

My powerstance great club experience says otherwise. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vengarr posted:

The bellboys aren't so bad if you can break down their cooperation. At least in Bellfry Luna there are lots of ways to separate a bellboy duo and kill them one at a time.

This is why I try to fight in the room with the holes in the floor. It gives lots of options--you can try to punt or trick one into rolling into a hole, then take on the other one. Or you can dodge into a hole yourself if things get dicey and play a runaway game.

But my favorite trick is to run to the door leading back towards the Bastille and close it. When they inevitably try to open it, two-handed Zweihander stab through the door.

I like Sunbroing at the Belfry. A nice mix of PvP and a bossfight made much easier with a friend to help out. People are generally grateful for the help, and you can return to your home planet (the Sun) by leaping off the roof after killing the gargoyles. It's how I unwind.
Equipping the cat ring in the Belfry is a really solid idea both for invading and fishing for invasions. It really opens up the movement in that place. I do wish the invasions were a bit more sporadic, though. As a bellbro its weird that I can basically wait out most of my invasions until I get back-up and then crush the other guy. I try to kill them on my own because its more fun, but still. Maybe if they queued up a second invasion but didn't have it fire until the invader dropped below a certain health percentage, which would also clue people into the Garg mechanic.

Vengarr posted:

Do people not force/shockwave/roll out of this? I completely expect it every time I see that door closed and just stab through the door myself.