Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

attackmole posted:

This is totally out of nowhere, but sometimes I forget how intimidating Renan Barao's record looks on wikipedia. You just look at it and are like daaaaang that's a long green streak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renan_Bar%C3%A3o

My dream is that every fight outside of a Zuffa owned org is treated as an amateur fight, only for the purpose of your record. So many fighters have 25 fights in small orgs and look like killers, then they come in the UFC and they are just a middle of the pack fighter (I'm looking at you Hector Lombard).

It would get rid of losses at the beginning of careers such as Barao's and Jose Aldo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
"Middle of the pack fighter" is an interesting title to saddle someone with after they broke Jake Shields like that.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Intel&Sebastian posted:

"Middle of the pack fighter" is an interesting title to saddle someone with after they broke Jake Shields like that.

And lost to The Barbarian.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

attackmole posted:

This is totally out of nowhere, but sometimes I forget how intimidating Renan Barao's record looks on wikipedia. You just look at it and are like daaaaang that's a long green streak.

Barao's really good, but with those long Brazilian z-league records I kind of treat it like most professional boxers padded out records (not that impressed). I only really start counting wins when the guys listed have wikipedia pages (Obviously there are exceptions).

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

And lost to The Barbarian.

who is a tough son of a bitch that had just beat the poo poo out of yushin okami

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

attackmole posted:

I took this with a grain of salt initially, this one too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khabib_Nurmagomedov#Mixed_martial_arts_record

It turns out, sometimes, some of these guys really are just that loving good (however the majority are not - come to the UFC, lose two straight, and are never heard from again).

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

My dream is that every fight outside of a Zuffa owned org is treated as an amateur fight, only for the purpose of your record.

lol

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Lid posted:

I took this with a grain of salt initially, this one too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khabib_Nurmagomedov#Mixed_martial_arts_record

It turns out, sometimes, some of these guys really are just that loving good (however the majority are not - come to the UFC, lose two straight, and are never heard from again).

Magomed Magomedov

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Postam Badilov

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

masato tatanka posted:

Postam Badilov

mods, i seriously want this name (and deserve it)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
now is probably the best of all times to lionise the worth of having a ufc record

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

A UFC win is still worth magnitudes more than a win over a 0-2 Sri Lankan "Wushu practitioner" in the SFL.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Seltzer posted:

A UFC win is still worth magnitudes more than a win over a 0-2 Sri Lankan "Wushu practitioner" in the SFL.

Up next on Fight Pass, Royston Wee vs. an 0-2 Sri Lankan Wushu practitioner

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The numbers on any record are way less important than the names next to them, and that's true in the UFC as well as outside. Sure, it's easier to pile up a 10 win streak against trash in M-1 or Parking Lot Fights: Minnesota than it is in the UFC, but even there you get guys going 4-0 against local scrubs and then guys going 2-2 against the top of the division.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Stefan Struve's record would depressing if we got rid of all his Euro b-league wins so please, goon, have a heart.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
UFC is a lot better for nobody really giving a poo poo if you have 9 losses on your record as long as they're to decent fighters. Better then every guy needing to be 903-0-0 (Def. Realguy Notfake at 1:23 of the 4th round via K.O.) before he's allowed to have a real fight and instantly becoming a bum if he loses.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bubba Smith posted:

Stefan Struve's record would depressing if we got rid of all his Euro b-league wins so please, goon, have a heart.

:golfclap:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

UFC is a lot better for nobody really giving a poo poo if you have 9 losses on your record as long as they're to decent fighters. Better then every guy needing to be 903-0-0 (Def. Realguy Notfake at 1:23 of the 4th round via K.O.) before he's allowed to have a real fight and instantly becoming a bum if he loses.

Chris Lytle was a professional boxer Joe, amassing 13 victories including over the infamous Reggie Strickland.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

this forever. gently caress boxing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Cain Velasquez was a staggering 2-0 when he debuted in the UFC and had not fought in 16 months. Chris Weidman 4-0. Johny Hendricks 5-0 (3-0 if you include WEC). Jon Jones 6-0.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Brock Lesnar 86 - 28.
What?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Brock Lesnar has the most impressive record in history by a MMA fighter.

He is the 1 in 21-1

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG75pr10XxY

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Lid posted:

Chris Lytle was a professional boxer Joe, amassing 13 victories including over the infamous Reggie Strickland.

Chris Lytle, the Michael Jordan of boxing.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

God drat Chael owns

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I know this was meant to be a hit piece or whatever but it just made Wanderlei look like a big baby once again

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Zwachro posted:

Yea, I'm wondering if their being twins will get them into the house (or get them a shot, anyway, they're having a fight-off are they not?) just due to the reality TV aspect.

Is one twin a lot better than the other? I notice Bean just mentioned one.

I've seen this idea come up a lot, and I just think it's really silly, particularly when this is a world title tournament. It would be pretty silly to deny a spot to an rear end-kicker like Justine Kish or a highly skilled veteran who's given her life to this sport like Lisa Ellis just to go with the "twins" angle, when Jocelyn is borderline and Jillian is all of 0-1 (5-5 amateur). The UFC has gone all in with the sports route as of TUF 17 it seems, and I don't expect this to be any different. I believe the interviews are just to weed out people who are dull as dirt at this point (and then sign those people directly if they're good).

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This is really funny and pathetic at the same time. It's worse than when he confronted Chael at that convention. The clips are taken awfully out of context and the subtitles are frequently misleading. It's like Wanderlei saw his favorability ratings going down in Brazil after TUF and had to literally recreate a political attack ad to remedy it. You could make a minute thirty video that would make Wanderlei look a ton worse by just splicing together video of him starting fights in pride, starting the tuf fight, and video of him beating up teens then fading to black.

Also Wanderlei I want my royalty money for that fruity loops beat that starts four minutes in.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i wish chael would run for emperor of brazil or whatever they have. there's no way money laundering is recognised as a crime there and making brazil love him over wanderlei silva must qualify him for citizenship

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Did I just watch a loving attack ad on Chael Sonnen? This is incredible

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seltzer posted:

This is really funny and pathetic at the same time. It's worse than when he confronted Chael at that convention. The clips are taken awfully out of context and the subtitles are frequently misleading. It's like Wanderlei saw his favorability ratings going down in Brazil after TUF and had to literally recreate a political attack ad to remedy it. You could make a minute thirty video that would make Wanderlei look a ton worse by just splicing together video of him starting fights in pride, starting the tuf fight, and video of him beating up teens then fading to black.

Also Wanderlei I want my royalty money for that fruity loops beat that starts four minutes in.

It's like both guys are trying to promote a fight and have been doing so for about a year (longer for Chael.)

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Marching Powder posted:

i wish chael would run for emperor of brazil or whatever they have. there's no way money laundering is recognised as a crime there

"Chael Sonnen, Executive VP - Banco Noroeste"

the video is hilarious and I'm glad Wandy is trying to promote the fight in the same way that he does everything else: ridiculously earnest (e: earnestly ridiculous?)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

It's like both guys are trying to promote a fight and have been doing so for about a year (longer for Chael.)

No it's not. It's one person trying to promote a fight and another person being a completely sincere idiot (Also Wanderlei's video came out after Brazilians have turned on him and he looked like a complete idiot on national television). That video of Wanderlei giving Chael poo poo in that car about Brazil must be like 4 years old now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seltzer posted:

No it's not. It's one person trying to promote a fight and another person being a completely sincere idiot. That video of Wanderlei giving Chael poo poo in that car about Brazil must be like 4 years old now.

If Wanderlei wasn't trying to make as much money as he can from this fight he wouldn't have tried to hold Dana up for PPV points last year after he put out that first promo video. I'm sure he hates Chael, but the guy is clearly trying to hype the fight too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm looking forward to Chael helping Wand back up to his feet at the end of round 5 of Chael's 50-40 win and watching the two men hug it out, laugh with each other and say they have immense hespect for each other now.

And then for Wand to call him a bitch coward who didn't really fight 3 months later while Chael jokes about feeding carrots to buses again.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
I've never been a huge Chael fan or anything but I would really not be surprised if he finished Wanderlei

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MassRafTer posted:

If Wanderlei wasn't trying to make as much money as he can from this fight he wouldn't have tried to hold Dana up for PPV points last year after he put out that first promo video. I'm sure he hates Chael, but the guy is clearly trying to hype the fight too.

Some fighters are Muhammad Ali when hyping fights.

Some fighters are Joe Frazier when hyping fights.

I know you really want to believe but Wandy being a meta-hyper is so not the case.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Turns out that Jon Jones is a goon, he read this thread and it has made him realise the error of his ways. His eye-pokes were accidental, but he admits that he could have prevented them and will endeavour to fight with a greater respect for his opponents in future.
He explains it very succinctly in this video:

http://youtu.be/gSLL2HCMSXU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
I think the whole Chael-Wanderlei thing comes down to this - these are two guys who are actually good friends outside of the camera and are pranking each other relentlessly leading up to their fight, taking nothing seriously along the way, knowing everyone will believe everything as real because of the TV. TV never ever lies or is set up to look fake. Ever.

Meanwhile, one of them gets hurt legitimately in training. Christ knows which one actually, because for all we know the one hurt is the one calling out the other. Both parties act butthurt as hell all the way. Finally the fight happens.

And then they grapple the poo poo out of each other to a five-round split decision. Huzzah. Both make millions upon millions in PPV revenue from crazy Brazilians and racist rednecks expecting to see a murder on behalf of their guy.

Edit: I base this all on Wand apparently being one of the nicest guys on the planet and Chael making it his personal business to be as entertaining as possible outside of the cage. Completely scientific analysis.

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 30, 2014

• Locked thread