Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

aegof posted:

Pretty sure you don't have invincibility frames when backstabbing anymore.

You do against melee, but it seems bows, darts, bolts, and other thrown crap can still hit you (they even seem to do less damage). Not sure about magic, it's never come up, but this is just what I've personally experienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

geez, the Smelter Demon was hard. I kept dying right when he had a sliver of health left. I also had like three instances in that fight where I somehow got stuck in the wall and couldn't do anything.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Anyone knows if x360ce is still safe to use? I am a bit worried.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
When you have two different type of arrows equipped how do you switch between them?

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Jesus loving Christ, Shrine of Amana sucks. I've probably had more than half of my all-time deaths trying to survive from the second bonfire to wherever the third may be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The upside to spending three hours dying to early game bosses is that I got 100k souls out of it, which I used to level int/faith. So now I can use heavy soul arrow, resonant soul, lightning spear, and whatever pyromancies I want. And my lightning morningstar is outpacing the fire longsword. I'd use great magic weapon but I keep the staff on the right hand and getting used to it being on the left would be too much hassle. One great soul left!

e: I should make my archdrake chime (best one I have) Dark-infused to take the most advantage of resonant soul right? Lightning spear's just for variety. I don't really need all four long range attacks but I figure I can get around weaknesses this way.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 30, 2014

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

keyframe posted:

When you have two different type of arrows equipped how do you switch between them?

regular attack with hand is first ammo, strong attack is second type

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Does this game let you do stuff post final boss or does it dump you into NG+ right away like DS1?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd use great magic weapon but I keep the staff on the right hand and getting used to it being on the left would be too much hassle.

For what it's worth, casted weapon buffs no longer scale with anything other than the thing they're buffing, i.e. Magic Weapon does [(Weapon's Base Magic Damage + X) * 1.3] no matter if you're using the best catalyst in the game or a Sorcerer's Staff+0.

Doctor Zaius posted:

Does this game let you do stuff post final boss or does it dump you into NG+ right away like DS1?

You can do stuff after the final boss. To enter NG+ you have to rest at the bonfire at Majula and select a specific menu option. There are actually some unique events past the final boss.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How many souls do you get each Bell Covenant invasion victory? You need a total of 6 titanite chunks each time you get a weapon up to +10, right? 1 for +7, 2 for +8, 3 for +9?

Edit: Has anyone here gotten to Rank 3 in the Bell Covenant? Is the stuff any good or is it just for aesthetics?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Doctor Zaius posted:

You can choose to go to NG+ whenever you want after the final boss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Umberger posted:

For what it's worth, casted weapon buffs no longer scale with anything other than the thing they're buffing, i.e. Magic Weapon does [(Weapon's Base Magic Damage + X) * 1.3] no matter if you're using the best catalyst in the game or a Sorcerer's Staff+0.

That's actually really good to know. I was considering keeping a lighter staff in the off-hand for just that but wasn't sure how effective it was. Thanks! I might just do that, and replace the heavy soul arrow since I don't need lightning spear, resonant soul, and that. Pyromancy I'm using more for pvp with great combustion, flame swathe, and fire whip. They're good, but it seems like all the other magic is far stronger so far.

e: I may just replace lightning spear with med. heal actually. I'm only getting faith for the hexes after all, so it won't ever be front and center.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 30, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cardboard Box posted:

geez, the Smelter Demon was hard. I kept dying right when he had a sliver of health left. I also had like three instances in that fight where I somehow got stuck in the wall and couldn't do anything.

Yeah it sucks when it happens. I tried to roll as much as I could but yeah it sucks.

You think that's bad? Wait until you get to another optional fight that might cause that as well. :v: (not saying these are frequent btw, there is just another fight that something similar happens)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My google-fu is proving weak. Is there a list or a way to tell what weapons are usable with each other in power stance besides 'buy it to try it, haha you just wasted 5000(?) souls'?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fucks sake, I completely depopulated the Black Gulch of enemies and got TWO titanite shards out of it. I even had all the item detection crap stacked. What a wretched place, it won't even let me farm it well.

VVV I was hoping nobody would quote that before I fixed it :saddowns:

EDIT: I'm trying a new build using a Pike and minimum weapon stats since I heard scaling sucks. How can I McDuff to infuse my weapons though? The rear end in a top hat still sits around talking about a flame after I lit his torch. I have no clue how to make him actually work.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 30, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Internet Kraken posted:

Fucks sake, I completely depopulated the Black Gulch of enemies and got TWO
Two what? Large titanite shards?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ciaphas posted:

My google-fu is proving weak. Is there a list or a way to tell what weapons are usable with each other in power stance besides 'buy it to try it, haha you just wasted 5000(?) souls'?

Pretty sure the general rule for power stancing is 1.5 STR of the highest weapon and 1.5 DEX of it as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Pretty sure the general rule for power stancing is 1.5 STR of the highest weapon and 1.5 DEX of it as well.

Some weapon types don't powerstance together but I couldn't tell you what ones. Pretty sure all the great big ones can because they all have the same :effort: powerstance moves.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh, that's what he means. Yeah unfortunately I don't know about that. Another thing to test tomorrow.

Least I won't be bored. :v:

Also kudos to Alan about the upgrading the merchant hat. That really did help the drop rate much better. Especially against the fire iguanas, two fireballs, one great fireball and about 7 cracked red eye orbs. Decent farm haul after I extinct the cardinal tower.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

aegeryn posted:

Jesus loving Christ, Shrine of Amana sucks. I've probably had more than half of my all-time deaths trying to survive from the second bonfire to wherever the third may be.

That's the part I'm smashing my head against. Super fast hammer bros double teaming me while a mage heals them :what:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Look at these guys.

They think they're fashionable. I'll show you.

SWANK.

PS gently caress the mandatory memory boss, nothing should be able to kill you before you can see it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dis astranagant posted:

Some weapon types don't powerstance together but I couldn't tell you what ones. Pretty sure all the great big ones can because they all have the same :effort: powerstance moves.

That's the question I meant to ask, yeah. Looking around at other strength-orientated weapons besides dual caestiesuses, still debating whether I generally want to roll with a shield or not. Until those goddamned Ruin Sentinels I did just fine without one v:shobon:v

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I lost count of my deaths on The Last Giant, and I've used all my effigies already, so I might need to restart so I don't have to keep facing him with 50% health and getting one-shot. The hit detection on his attacks is bullshit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

BJPaskoff posted:

I lost count of my deaths on The Last Giant, and I've used all my effigies already, so I might need to restart so I don't have to keep facing him with 50% health and getting one-shot. The hit detection on his attacks is bullshit.
Use the soapstone that you should have to assist someone else. Both the small and large ones are in that area and both work fine for what you need.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

Fucks sake, I completely depopulated the Black Gulch of enemies and got TWO titanite shards out of it. I even had all the item detection crap stacked. What a wretched place, it won't even let me farm it well.

VVV I was hoping nobody would quote that before I fixed it :saddowns:

EDIT: I'm trying a new build using a Pike and minimum weapon stats since I heard scaling sucks. How can I McDuff to infuse my weapons though? The rear end in a top hat still sits around talking about a flame after I lit his torch. I have no clue how to make him actually work.

Try the chubby blacksmiths at the entry to earthern peak, they dropped shards pretty fast for me with the just the merchant's hat on.

And you want to give him an ember, which is across the butt-clenchening jumps in iron keep.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I suspect that my love of co-oping on my way through the game is inflating my Soul Memory and making me hilariously over levelled for the areas that I am in... Anyone else having this problem?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

To dodge his attacks you need to dodge at the very last second. If you can't dodge just run away when he raises his feet and he can't ever hit you.

Gamerofthegame posted:

PS gently caress the mandatory memory boss, nothing should be able to kill you before you can see it.

What boss?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh my God the Song Demon might be one of the favorite Souls bosses yet. The entire Shrine area was great.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

That's the question I meant to ask, yeah. Looking around at other strength-orientated weapons besides dual caestiesuses, still debating whether I generally want to roll with a shield or not. Until those goddamned Ruin Sentinels I did just fine without one v:shobon:v

Dual anything can powerstance, it's weird poo poo like mace+fencing sword that might not. Get 90 str and 42 dex and you can powerstance any weapon.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 30, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a website with pictures of all the gear so I can find what looks best?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

beefart posted:

That's the part I'm smashing my head against. Super fast hammer bros double teaming me while a mage heals them :what:

Lure them away. As far as I could tell the priest were willing to chase me anywhere so there was 0 reason to fight out in the open rather than behind a corner. The hardest part for me was getting to those guys in the first place because there are 3 mages firing arrows at you with a bunch of snorks guarding them. Figuring out a safe way to engage them was tricky.

I had 0 problem with the priests. I didn't even know the mages could heal them.

Ignimbrite posted:

Try the chubby blacksmiths at the entry to earthern peak, they dropped shards pretty fast for me with the just the merchant's hat on.

And you want to give him an ember, which is across the butt-clenchening jumps in iron keep.

I guess I'll look for that ember then. Also I know the fat dudes drop titanite shards, I was actually after large shards which the leeches and worms are SUPPOSED to drop but they felt like being assholes until I finished genociding them.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Man, gently caress BrightStone CoveRavenholm. gently caress it right in the rear end.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Brightstone Cove made me glad I upgraded the gently caress out of my fire longsword.

Also the people suggesting making a double caestus dapper gentleman were dead on with how fun that build is.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Genocyber posted:

What boss?

Giant Lord. Or Lord Giant, whatever.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Glad that this game has VAC. Encountered way more hackers than I expected when I tried invading today.

Been having a lot of fun pvping with the Drakewing Greatsword. That R2 attack is a lot of fun.

When you end up on the bridge, you can setup the R2 by using an Acid Surge to hide your actions

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Giant Lord. Or Lord Giant, whatever.

Don't need to memorize; get him to move a bit away from the end (not too far tho of you'll be in range of the firebombs) and either lock on to his top portion or keep the camera angled up manually, and you can see what move he's about to do.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Oh, wow. I had so much Fire Resist that when Smelter Demon lit his sword on fire, I actually took significantly less damage per swing.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
There's a chart on the wikidot wiki that shows which weapon types can power stance with which.

I'd like to take a moment to espouse my love for the Great Hammer/Ultra Great sword power stance swing. One or two shorting people is not going to get old.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Party Alarm posted:

Glad that this game has VAC. Encountered way more hackers than I expected when I tried invading today.

Let's just hope there won't be any bans for using the drat graphics mods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just ran into the first boss of Brightstone Cove and I really hope that the next game FROM Software releases they realize that its combat system is nowhere near capable of handling mobs. I felt like I was playing a third-person Diablo 3 or something. I guess what they said about pushing multiplayer basically came down to shoving trash mobs here and there. I really miss tense 1 on 1 duels but thems the breaks. Also fix your drat hit detection on crawling and short enemies FROM. I shouldn't be whiffing attacks when I'm actually hearing the sound of my weapon hitting the floor...

Also what's up with smelter demon barely taking damage from weapons? I tried a magic mace, large club and a greatsword and all did squat to him and his health.