Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Fell behind but I'm slowly catching up. Episode 3. I did like how Megumi was more concerned with saving Seiji than keeping her identity a secret. I didn't know if this was just going to be a running gag of him almost finding out throughout the show, so it's nice that they didn't go that route and instead went this direction with it. I'm also hoping that the "don't fall in love" thing actually turns out to have some significance to it and isn't just so Hime can constantly go "Oh no I must avoid Seiji because I can't fall in love!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

isn't just so Hime can constantly go "Oh no I must avoid Seiji because I can't fall in love!"

Given Hime's personality, I can't ever see this being a thing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I was basing it on her reaction to him, which seemed to me like she had a crush on him. Now that I've seen episode 4 and she seemed totally cool around him it looks like it was just her nervousness about being around people she hasn't met before.

I'm still hoping that what Blue said actually has plot relevance though.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
So has a non-awful sub group picked this up yet?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Did Seaside drop it? Doremi is still doing it looks like.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still hoping that what Blue said actually has plot relevance though.

Just means whoever goes out with seji can never split up with him. It's for the good of the team.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

As long as you ignore the fact that 95% of this episode's art and animation was outsourced to Toei Philippines, it was pretty good.

Lovely even managed to come up with two new attacks instead of just one.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I actually prefer Blue to Red now. Red just annoys me.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?
So Lovely is basically a super robot at this point. She's got the laser eyes, the rocket fist, the sword, she shoots explosives, and beamspams enemies.
I'm betting she uses a drill at some point. Because every super robot needs a drill.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Now, I haven't seen Suite, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMA0GndDh_M

I'm pretty sure Cure Beat is my favorite Cure now.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Suite is the only series I've seen all of, but Cure Beat really has been one of the more memorable Pretty Cures for me. Right behind Erika and Yayoi wow im such a precure babby

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lisandra_brave posted:

So Lovely is basically a super robot at this point. She's got the laser eyes, the rocket fist, the sword, she shoots explosives, and beamspams enemies.
I'm betting she uses a drill at some point. Because every super robot needs a drill.

She is! It's some sort of hilarious because no one in the show reacts like it's out of place or anything. It's so un-magical girl that it's fantastic.

I really like that we're seeing Cures from around the world. Something about making things seem like they're part of a bigger whole rather than wholly self-contained.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Potsticker posted:

She is! It's some sort of hilarious because no one in the show reacts like it's out of place or anything. It's so un-magical girl that it's fantastic.

What are you talking about, it's totally magical girl! Have Nanoha and Symphogear taught you nothing about how similar magical girls and giant robots are?

As for this week's episode, more characters need to learn Wax on, Wax off. It's good advice. YuuČ is great, and is remarkably good at singing. Good enough to make me want a large bowl of rice. Oresky continues to be best general, and the cures continue to remember that they can fly. But good god, the animation on that preview is the worst I've seen in a long time.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I actually burst out laughing when everyone started dancing to that rice song.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Lisandra_brave posted:

What are you talking about, it's totally magical girl! Have Nanoha and Symphogear taught you nothing about how similar magical girls and giant robots are?

As for this week's episode, more characters need to learn Wax on, Wax off. It's good advice. YuuČ is great, and is remarkably good at singing. Good enough to make me want a large bowl of rice. Oresky continues to be best general, and the cures continue to remember that they can fly. But good god, the animation on that preview is the worst I've seen in a long time.

Toei is making 7 shows right now and every single one of them is suffering from a lack of staff. Notably we already had one entire episode (7) that was outsourced completely to Toei Phils, Toei's Philippines branch that usually only handles inbetweens and the grunt work, not key animation. Episode 10's animation director has done nothing but work on the second season of Saint Seiya Omega, which looked absolutely awful. Now that its ended and the staff are moving to other things.. well, we get episode 10 of HaCha.

Unfortunately HaCha is the cheapest looking season so far, but at least the show's designs and style are good enough that it isn't dragging down how good the show is.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lisandra_brave posted:

The Nanoha I've seen was agressively terrible and the only positive things I've heard about the series are that it appeals to boys who are also Super Robot fans and that sounds like the opposite of what I enjoy in Magical Girl shows.

Except for that one fantastic episode of Smile.

Symphogear I've only heard negative things about, except for "so bad it's good" comments on /m/.

To my shame, I will admit that I watched Vividred, which was also sort of Magical Girl Robots. I would never recommend it, though. It was completely terrible.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Nanoha herself is a pretty true magical girl protagonist (never give up, all about friendship, etc.) but then the show is late-night and otaku-targeted. I like the character way more than the show itself.

Symphogear is in fact awful.

The adult designs in Vividred are pretty cool but I wish the show didn't exist.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Did doremi die? Their site doesn't seem to be up and they haven't subbed 10 yet.

Guess I'll have to look into this Shimakaze sub.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Their site is up and says

quote:

Ladholyman has his USMLE Step 1 exams coming up, so expect delays on subs for Happiness Charge and Kindaichi Case Files in the month of April.

Sorry about that.

Edit by Lad - Studying sucks horse poop. I'd rather be translating cartoons made for little girls.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

aers posted:

Notably we already had one entire episode (7) that was outsourced completely to Toei Phils, Toei's Philippines branch that usually only handles inbetweens and the grunt work, not key animation.

Oh, is that what Toei Phils stands for? Whenever I saw it in the credits I thought it meant Toei Philharmonic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Did they do all of last week's episode? Because that animation was so bad it was actively distracting. Not that the plot was any good. This week, however, was pretty awesome. Hime and Yuuko are both really great, but that song is getting a little annoying. Especially after last week.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Caithness posted:

Oh, is that what Toei Phils stands for? Whenever I saw it in the credits I thought it meant Toei Philharmonic.

Yeah Toei Phils is basically a fully-owned substudio in the Philippines that handles all of Toei's grunt work (the Toei site says Phils handles 70% of their total animation work). Their animation directors and artists simply aren't anywhere near the level of the home Toei studio which is why they usually do second KA or inbetweens. The Phils ADs in particular who did that episode of Precure aren't even that bad (they regularly do episodes of Precure, like 5+ each season) but they usually don't get stuck with entirely Phils KA too.

Potsticker posted:

Did they do all of last week's episode? Because that animation was so bad it was actively distracting. Not that the plot was any good. This week, however, was pretty awesome. Hime and Yuuko are both really great, but that song is getting a little annoying. Especially after last week.

Last week looking completely awful was solely because the AD is some random guy whose only prior credits are 5 episodes in the last 20 of Saint Seiya Omega, which pretty much looked awful awful awful awful. The guy shouldn't have a job. God dammit Toei.

Looking ahead, 12's AD is a Precure regular whose stuff will look average/normal, 13 is a Phils AD again but hopefully not Phils KA, and 14's staff is basically entirely people who don't work for Toei and they probably outsourced it because they have no staff left to work on anything.

Yeah I'm kind of mad they decided to give Nagamine another Precure the season where they're cutting massive corners in order to produce 6+ shows at once. He doesn't deserve this.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Aaand once again the villain is related to the last Cure. Although they're switching it up slightly the 4th time with a sister instead of a father.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caithness posted:

Aaand once again the villain is related to the last Cure. Although they're switching it up slightly the 4th time with a sister instead of a father.

I'm sad this thread is so dead because Happiness Charge has been so good. It's certainly been the most entertaining Super Hero Time show I've been watching. (Gaim and TQG being the other two)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Happiness Charge is actually the first Precure I've actually seen, so I can't really compare, though it's been fun so far. I might go back to watch Heartcatch whenever I finish my backlog of watching GARO and Kamen Rider Double. I saw a couple episodes of it a while back though it didn't quite hold my attention.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

A lot of what makes Happiness Charge so entertaining it certainly inherited from HeartCatch, and it's not hard to spot a lot of similarities. The more interesting aspects are in how they are different. Happiness Charge doesn't use the stock Victim of the Week plot that the majority of HeartCatch follows like clockwork, and Erika (HeartCatch's blue Cure) is way more of a selfish brat than Hime.

On the flip side, I think the villainous trio in HeartCatch were more entertaining. And because the plots were so focused on the episode's victim, the episodal monsters also feel more important and the feelings their drawn from makes the battle portions of the episodes more compelling.

As for how the plot susses out? We'll have to wait to see where Happiness Charge goes with the pieces it lays out. Megumi and Yuuko don't really feel like they have any real character arcs so far, Hime and Fortune seem to bear the bulk of the story while in HeartCatch all four Cures had fairly distictive arcs about their personal growth.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Happiness Charge is also the first Precure I'm really watching, and I'm really liking the villains' designs. The costumes are great and their personalities also interesting. Actually, so far the villains are the best part of the show, except maybe for (ep 13) Phantom, so far at least. He just appears as a massively strong opponent with no particular personality traits, although it's obvious he has some history we just aren't told yet.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Happiness Charge still has victims of the week, they're just not always the focus of the episode, just like in Doki Doki. This allows the show to focus on the heroes more, but it also makes it so that the conflict seems to come out of left field sometimes.

Phantom is the analogue of Dark Precure. That doesn't guarantee a compelling backstory, but it makes me optimistic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe it's just the way he looks, but the PreCure Hunter reminds me a lot of (HeartCatch spoilers) Dune. That being said he seems to already have more motivation and story than Dune had. I see how he is sort of like Dark PreCure in his story role. Hopefully it gets spread out more evenly through the series (same as before) Like what happened with her, Moonlight and their father all being rolled into the very end of the show.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

HaCha was great today and I'm not just saying that because one of the form changes got attacks outside the CG part.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Of course; you're saying that because Masuko Miyo was in it.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Random fanart found while sorting my mecha image folder:

(I love this one.)

(Do the international Cure scenes in Happiness Charge remind anyone else of G Gundam?)

(Don't be Zeorymer, Blossom. Stay far away from that thing.)

I tried to find some more recent fanart along these lines to make up for these being from several series ago, but it was surprisingly difficult considering Lovely's powerset. It was not, however, impossible:

(Fan artists love those eye beams.)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Contains a small spoiler for the latest episode but sort of related to the above post!

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Super robot references? Sounds like I should catch up on Happiness Charge. I'm only a couple of episodes in but does the animation budget improve at all?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Revolver Bunker posted:

Super robot references? Sounds like I should catch up on Happiness Charge. I'm only a couple of episodes in but does the animation budget improve at all?

It gets worse. Some episodes are better than others, but are still littered with off model characters, big heads, giant eyes, misplaced mouths, and other fits of quality.

In spite of that it's still a really good show!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Episode 10 and the second half of 15 are AD'd by the apparent worst animator Toei has. Other than that its below average because they're basically on a skeleton crew and all the talented grunts are apparently working on other things.

Not that I can figure out what those other things are since Disk Wars looks like crap, Kindaichi is getting outsourced, One Piece's staff never changes...

aers fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 12, 2014

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp
Can't believe I missed this thread!

I didn't know they made a Precure de Janeiro.
weird

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 18, 2014

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aers posted:

Episode 10 and the second half of 15 are AD'd by the apparent worst animator Toei has. Other than that its below average because they're basically on a skeleton crew and all the talented grunts are apparently working on other things.

Not that I can figure out what those other things are since Disk Wars looks like crap, Kindaichi is getting outsourced, One Piece's staff never changes...

Probably all drafted into the board room for the new Sailor Moon anime.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Revolver Bunker posted:

Probably all drafted into the board room for the new Sailor Moon anime.

We can only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
So Masuko's been in three episodes of Happiness Charge now. That's more appearances than she had in all of 5GoGo, isn't it?

• Locked thread