Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Is there a button combination on PS4 that will allow me to assist the tank? I know it's "T" on the PC but I can't find a way to accomplish the same thing on the PS4 without manually targeting whatever I see the tank hitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Niton posted:

I would like to interrupt this train of thought to say that even though you're right, playing GLD/PLD without Rage of Halone is a miserable experience

thank you

There is, of course, that one dungeon when GLD/PLD has Rage of Halone and WAR doesn't have Butcher's Block. So that's one advantage GLD/PLD have.

On the other hand, said dungeon is Toto-Rak.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

AlmightyBob posted:

What's the point in gardening if I'm not allowed to harvest my own drat plants?

If you planted something and want to be able to harvest it, ask an officer of whatever FC you're in.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Hekk posted:

Is there a button combination on PS4 that will allow me to assist the tank? I know it's "T" on the PC but I can't find a way to accomplish the same thing on the PS4 without manually targeting whatever I see the tank hitting.

Make a macro with "/assist" and bind it to the button of your choice

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I actually don't slot flash or provoke on my war so as to not taint the majesty

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think we can all agree that despite both PLD and WAR being roughly equally effective tanks, warrior is hella fun to play and paladin is not.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ShadeofDante posted:

I just wish that you still had to have some semblance of a brain to complete it.

Clearly they didn't nerf T5 hard enough as no loving pubbie group can do it, and no random pick up goon group can form...period.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Niton posted:

I would like to interrupt this train of thought to say that even though you're right, playing GLD/PLD without Rage of Halone is a miserable experience

thank you

In that case, WAR is even more hosed because they don't get the full BB combo until 30. Get wrecked.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Boogaleeboo posted:

Clearly they didn't nerf T5 hard enough as no loving pubbie group can do it, and no random pick up goon group can form...period.

Well there is no T5 "nerf". If anything the echo just gives a better chance of getting past the conflag and snake dps checks. If they can't dodge divebombs, or twisters, or handle dreads correctly, or run from flaming hells, welp :shrug:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In all seriousness, I'm an above ilevel 90 war/drg and about to be above for whm, I'm tired of my current server and ready to switch. I have one friend on diablos but I'd rather switch to excalibur to be with other goons. I'm not happy where I'm at.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mr. Nice! posted:

In all seriousness, I'm an above ilevel 90 war/drg and about to be above for whm, I'm tired of my current server and ready to switch. I have one friend on diablos but I'd rather switch to excalibur to be with other goons. I'm not happy where I'm at.

You've said it three times already, just get it over with. There's lots of poopsocking raid groups in PBC that I'm sure will be happy to have a skilled healer. We're also trying to put together one for more casual players that still want to try some of the more cutting edge content. Look on ffgoons for FCLC in the org section if that's more your speed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr. Nice! posted:

So move, join either PBC or DGKK, and enjoy. :)

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you want to come to Excalibur, come to Excalibur. You don't need to get me to sign a permission slip or anything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Join DGKK, we're chiller.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

There is, of course, that one dungeon when GLD/PLD has Rage of Halone and WAR doesn't have Butcher's Block. So that's one advantage GLD/PLD have.

On the other hand, said dungeon is Toto-Rak.

Nothing Overpower doesn't solve, though. Also gently caress Toto-Rak anyway.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SpazmasterX posted:

If they can't dodge divebombs, or twisters

It's a miracle group that gets that far. Evidently the horror of stacking pets and alternatively running at the pets and running into the middle just fucks their tiny pubbie brains up. And a lot of people don't focus Twin so they only have the big green circle and sound effect to tell them when to run from dive bombs. The groups that can manage that poo poo are generally cake though.

Ginkage
Jun 13, 2003
Anybody play on Goblin? I need some people I can get a Titan EX run done with, party finder is terrible here.

Shingin
Apr 14, 2005

Not the Red Comet

Mr. Nice! posted:

I bailed out of Diablos at the start of 2.2 and its best thing ever. Excalibur is way more packed than Diablos will ever be.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hekk posted:

Bear in mind that in many circumstances, a tank will be tab cycling to split up their combos between targets and make sure everything is pissed at them, so assisting the tank - while a good intention - may have you targeting the wrong thing if you try it at the wrong time.

That said, if the tank doesn't bother numbering the targets, assisting the tank is a better guideline than nothing. If they do, go by the numbers, and if you happen to land a hit or two on the wrong number before targeting the right thing, BFD.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm slowly working my way through the post-50 content.

For instance, today I sat on a chair shaped like a Tonberry King.

Seriously though I'm working my way through the...sigh...Minfilla-centric post-50 scenario poo poo. I unlocked Ampador Keep, on my way to the Chimera to unlock Bravura, unlocked Labyrinth of the Ancients... There's just...so MUCH poo poo to do and I'm not even sure where to start. Like something tells me I should be grinding out stones of myth to start getting gear from Mor Dhona so I can do AK and finish Bravura, right?

edit: Oh and I fought Behemoth. That fight is basically pikmin, honestly.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 30, 2014

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Vil posted:

Bear in mind that in many circumstances, a tank will be tab cycling to split up their combos between targets and make sure everything is pissed at them, so assisting the tank - while a good intention - may have you targeting the wrong thing if you try it at the wrong time.

That said, if the tank doesn't bother numbering the targets, assisting the tank is a better guideline than nothing. If they do, go by the numbers, and if you happen to land a hit or two on the wrong number before targeting the right thing, BFD.

I just number the dudes myself as a dps if the tank is too lazy or whatever and it's always worked out fine v:shobon:v

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah numbering is easy and even just putting a 1 on the thing you plan to pull first makes fights move a lot faster. Like in Aurum Vale I number the fruit and say 'I'm taking #3, everyone else pick one'

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Zo posted:

I just number the dudes myself as a dps if the tank is too lazy or whatever and it's always worked out fine v:shobon:v

I hit my 30s (SCH) over the weekend and have been doing more dungeon roulette stuff. Usually the tank numbers mobs and I hop between tossing a heal or HOT onto him and doing DPS. I got yelled at for pulling trash aggro. I usually cycle through mobs casting BIO and BIO II on them so the DOTs have time to eat away at health.

I told the tank to either start numbering mobs or he could go gently caress himself. He said just assist through him and I realized that I went 32 levels without knowing there was an assist function in FFXIV.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 30, 2014

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Tried Titan EX for the first time through DF today. After maybe a couple tries I was basically one of the last few people staying alive each time (as a DPS, so admittedly I might have less to worry about than healers or tanks do). I definitely do better with practice and that at least gave me hope that I will have my part down once I've seen the other phases. I don't remember but we either barely killed the heart once or not at all.

It kind of sucks because I need to do Titan to unlock the other extremes and echo won't fix lag or dodging issues with other team members.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Celador posted:

Final Fantasy XIV: Every Dragoon is the worst player.

my 1st Titan EX clear was using Party Finder... that ended up with 4 dragoons

bizarro world is leaking

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

The video of Yoshida's GDC panel about rebuilding 1.0 into ARR is finally up.

http://gdcvault.com/play/1020797/Behind-the-Realm

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Hekk posted:

I hit my 30s (SCH) over the weekend and have been doing more dungeon roulette stuff. Usually the tank numbers mobs and I hop between tossing a heal or HOT onto him and doing DPS. I got yelled at for pulling trash aggro. I usually cycle through mobs casting BIO and BIO II on them so the DOTs have time to eat away at health.

I told the tank to either start numbering mobs or he could go gently caress himself. He said just assist through him and I realized that I went 32 levels without knowing there was an assist function in FFXIV.

As a scholar, what you'll want to do on trash is:

- Make sure Cleric Stance is up
- Miasma, Bio2+Bio
- Wait about half a second for Bio to appear on the mob
- Bane

Then, if your tank is taking damage, drop Cleric Stance and start healing him. Otherwise, put Aero on the mobs and then Ruin as appropriate. Healing pre-Coil is for chumps.

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

notZaar posted:

The old content is dead. Long live the new coil!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Ginkage posted:

Anybody play on Goblin? I need some people I can get a Titan EX run done with, party finder is terrible here.

I play on Goblin but I don't really have many good connections to get a full group together.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hekk posted:

Really just whenever you start a dungeon just ask "Who's marking" or something similar.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Really just whenever you start a dungeon just ask "Who's marking" or something similar.

Most times you don't even need to do that. Just look at what the tank is hitting and hit that. I usually end up attacking the first mob pulled out of the group and then everyone generally follows suit. Also I have 3 level 50s and had no idea about the assist thing either lol

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Using the assist is okay but (in my case) I'll be flipping between targets to check enmity levels and correcting if i'm about to lose one. Use marks if it's pretty clear that your DPS members are splitting up and targeting different enemies.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh God, with finals and job applications and basically real life (not to mention Titanfall and Dark Souls 2) I haven't logged in in 2-3 weeks. Aside from 2.25, have I missed anything huge?

(Also please don't boot me from the FC Chairman! I'm Bill'to Clinton)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Oh God, with finals and job applications and basically real life (not to mention Titanfall and Dark Souls 2) I haven't logged in in 2-3 weeks. Aside from 2.25, have I missed anything huge?

(Also please don't boot me from the FC Chairman! I'm Bill'to Clinton)

Did you do the Manderville quest line yet?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Hekk posted:

Nor should you have known. The thing is, if the tank is worth a drat, he's switching targets way too often for assist to be reliable. A tank shouldn't be focusing a single mob, but rather hopping all around making sure he has plenty of enmity on everything.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Meldonox posted:

Nor should you have known. The thing is, if the tank is worth a drat, he's switching targets way too often for assist to be reliable. A tank shouldn't be focusing a single mob, but rather hopping all around making sure he has plenty of enmity on everything.
Yet I keep finding tanks that dread switching their targets because they think the DPS are relying on them to be their assist target. gently caress that, switcharoo on all the mobs forever.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

For light parties you should be marking the target you should be marking the target you plan to pull, and maybe a second one if there are more than three enemies coming in the group.

So I'm at lLevel 50. Is Ampador Keep okay to roulette for? The gear that is i55 so it seems like a good place to run for upgrades until I can afford better stuff. Like will Demons Wall be a problem if one person is right at the cap?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Rei_ posted:

So I'm at lLevel 50. Is Ampador Keep okay to roulette for? The gear that is i55 so it seems like a good place to run for upgrades until I can afford better stuff. Like will Demons Wall be a problem if one person is right at the cap?

They removed the bees from Demon Wall so it's no threat at all anymore, just don't fall off.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013
You could unlock the new hardmodes. They drop the old Darklight stuff and other i70 gear, but the loot pools are so large that it's kind of a pain to get what you want now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wall dies fast. It's a very simple dungeon even if you don't know what you're supposed to be doing.

• Locked thread