Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah. OP owns. The vague animated shapes at the beginning are pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Now that it actually aired, I'll post again that the OP is the brainchild of Shinya Ohira. He directed, storyboarded, animation directed, and also contributed KA to it (current animation-nerd-guess is that he did the B&W stuff right at the start). This is only the second time he's done an OP, the other being Sci-Fi Harry, which you can watch here if you want to see some more nutso stuff.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The cut at the end to the third year at the beach is loving devastating, holy poo poo.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That OP is balls the walls amazing.

E: the ep was also incredible, I love the intermixing of the writing and imagery. Yuasa is the best, hail Yuasa.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 25, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
This episode is awesome and overall really Ohira-ish, but loving drat is that OP good. Totally rivals his amazing OP animation for the otherwise mediocre Sci-Fi Harry.

Edit: as usual Aers beat me to it.

Edit edit: My guess is Arakawa attempted in some way to 'follow' the new opening. On second watch it's more the composition than the animation itself that looks Ohira in this episode.

laplace fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 25, 2014

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Man, everything about this is great. The OP, the directing, the acting. Everything about it has been awesome. Like, actual worthy of awe. It's this kind of poo poo that makes me want to animate myself. The Black and White OP in particular is something like the SZS OPs in that I could just watch them on their own and be happy.

I know Peco has to take centre stage soon but I hope we don't lose too much focus on Smile. I also like how in typical sports manga/anime style it's one of the opponents that has the biggest reason to win (so far at least) with Wenge. It's like Ippo vs Jason but with the added risk of Jason being deported if he loses. Wenge is cool.

EDIT
Wait, Ohira also did the Keys for the anime segment of Kill Bill? And Redline? Good gravy, the talent behind this show is absurd.

Popo fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 25, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
God drat I love the sound engineering, the delivery of all the lines, and the sounds. Loved the rhythm behind the bouncing balls.

Also, just why did Tsukimoto go and let Kong win? Sympathy for Kong's career? Is the guy basically out of the running?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

God drat I love the sound engineering, the delivery of all the lines, and the sounds. Loved the rhythm behind the bouncing balls.

Also, just why did Tsukimoto go and let Kong win? Sympathy for Kong's career? Is the guy basically out of the running?

smile hates it when people pressure him to do something, he hates the people who have based their whole life around a game and he knows kong has done this. so when he sees kong's coach screaming at kong he begins to feel bad so he lets him win.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Smile doesn't care as much about winning, since he doesn't really seem to have any real goal at all. He has a certain level of pride, but it doesn't express itself in the same way as the arrogance of Wenge and Peko. So while it was a sacrifice to blow the game, it wasn't something as altruistic sacrifice because of the lack of value Smile holds for the stakes at play.

Also I'm pretty sure he understands some Chinese, and knows from the coach's yelling that Wenge is likely going to have his life ruined or at least he'd be crushed in such a way that he could never stand up again. I view Smile's decision in reference to his comments at the beginning of Wenge's first match of the tournament.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, Smile and did exactly what he said he wouldn't do: throw the game for the sake of his opponent. God drat it dude.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
To be fair, ruining someone's life over a game of Ping Pong you don't really care about would be pretty drat ruthless. Not that his opponents deliberately letting him win solves anything for Wenge, though...

I guess the fact that they present him with questions like this is exactly why Smile hates people who take the game too seriously.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Also I'm pretty sure he understands some Chinese, and knows from the coach's yelling that Wenge is likely going to have his life ruined or at least he'd be crushed in such a way that he could never stand up again. I view Smile's decision in reference to his comments at the beginning of Wenge's first match of the tournament.

I think the idea is more that since Smile and Wenge have a "connection" as ping pong players they can understand each others' ~true kokoro feelings~ as implied when Wenge first meets him in the first episode, but I also had the same thought earlier today about Smile having taken a Chinese class or something. It's not uncommon here in Japan, obviously. Not to get into too tumblr headcanon garbage territory but it definitely isn't out of Smile's character to have done something like that. The point in the end is just that Wenge and Smile can communicate -- whether that be through words, actions, or ping pong. That's a big theme for the whole show so far, honestly. People communicating with each other in more than just words but intentions and actions.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Mygna posted:

To be fair, ruining someone's life over a game of Ping Pong you don't really care about would be pretty drat ruthless. Not that his opponents deliberately letting him win solves anything for Wenge, though...

I guess the fact that they present him with questions like this is exactly why Smile hates people who take the game too seriously.
What are you talking about? It doesn't matter if Smilie let Kong win or not, Kong's not going anywhere.

He has no head game, no mental fortitude, and he has no respect for his opponents. As soon as he started losing, he crumbled. Kong is doomed to failure unless he gets over his significant weaknesses, and Smilie did no favors by giving him more chances to ruin his own Ping Pong career. The idea that Smilie somehow allowed him a chance to get his career back is an illusion. Kong was kicked off the team for a reason, and he simply can't handle why he wasn't good enough.

Basically, the most effective way for Smilie to "ruin" Kong's life was to let him win. Good job, Hero.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You're overthinking it.

The coach's ranting broke Smile's robotic concentration and made him realize that he would would be ruining Kong's life. It doesn't matter to him that Kong was destined for failure because of his haughty attitude. It only mattered that Kong had staked his life on ping pong, which is something he hates and can't be arsed to deal with.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I ended up here by accidentally clicking on a banner ad and have no loving idea what is going on. Still, I'm upset that nobody posted this. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKt8Ct6oBmE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is it just me, or does Peco remind anyone else of a less malicious Ozu? He's kinda similar in appearance, voice, and cockiness. The main difference is that Peco is a good friend.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

KillHour posted:

accidentally clicking on a banner ad
I just looked through the banner ads; animewise, there's one each for Ping Pong, Jojo, Mushi-shi, and DBZ. :psyduck:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I just looked through the banner ads; animewise, there's one each for Ping Pong, Jojo, Mushi-shi, and DBZ. :psyduck:

That DBZ ad is gold.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

How much you wanna bet ozu cries just like peco when he loses (cept he probably does it in a closet or something)?

Also I love ozu's theme and character so far.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I really liked how detailed they showed what a difference pips out can make in a game.

Edit:
I think Smile let Kong win because of a mixture of pity and disgust.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 27, 2014

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I really liked how detailed they showed what a difference pips out can make in a game.

Edit:
I think Smile let Kong win because of a mixture of pity and disgust.

He straight up said he found people who make ping pong their life revolting, haha. Smile owns.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's kinda refreshing to see a sports series with a main character that just goes "You're all loving stupid, it's just a dumb game."

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

It's kinda refreshing to see a sports series with a main character that just goes "You're all loving stupid, it's just a dumb game."

Yeah, I appreciate that aspect of it. Like Smile has said, Ping Pong is just a way to kill time for him, something to enjoy for the heck of it. The sport was conceived in the first place for that reason, and making it into a competition just ruins that aspect for him.

The imagery we get frequently of him playing his video game is an interesting reflection of that mindset; it's also just another thing he does to kill time because he enjoys it. It has no great impact on the world or great impact on his person. Presumably he enjoys it. But it's just a game, no different from the 'sport' he's been thrust into.

I wonder if we're going to see him come around and realize that Ping Pong is something more to him due to the people he meets, or if he's going to get a taste of the enjoyment and thrill of competition.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This show owns pretty hard.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

If you wanna see some cool stuff check this twitter: https://twitter.com/bahijd

He worked on episode 3 but due to unmentioned reasons (probably deadline/schedule related) none of his cuts made it into the episode. He was still in the credits though. He's posting a ton of his production materials.

Holy crap he was doing basically the entire climax and it didn't make it in. drat.

Another cool thing http://sorenblr.tumblr.com/post/82569610345/christ-i-hope-someone-hasnt-already-done-this

aers fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 29, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God, those split screen cuts are so good. I hope we see dozens of shows try to imitate that over the next two years. I want to get sick of clever split screen cuts.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Is it just me, or does Peco remind anyone else of a less malicious Ozu? He's kinda similar in appearance, voice, and cockiness. The main difference is that Peco is a good friend.

Ozu is a good friend too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Ozu is a good friend too.

He has eyes like a youkai, though.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Waffleman_ posted:

Only in Watashi's delusions. He looks normal in the last scene.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

So does Watashi.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
http://imgur.com/a/oDLt0

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

pandaK posted:

Only in Watashi's delusions. He looks normal in the last scene.

I'm bein' a doof, jeez.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm bein' a doof, jeez.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Man is that where all the animation went in this episode? This is the guy who got his stuff all cut right? It actually kinda bothered me how little animation there was this last episode, way too much of it just felt like static pictures with flapping mouths and it bugged the hell out of me, the art in this show looks so fantastic when it's animated.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Three episodes in and I've just now learned that "skunk" is a legit ping pong term. All this time, I thought Peco was using his personal vocabulary to say that he got wrecked by China and that weirdass terminology rubbed off on Smile.

But why a skunk?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Three episodes in and I've just now learned that "skunk" is a legit ping pong term. All this time, I thought Peco was using his personal vocabulary to say that he got wrecked by China and that weirdass terminology rubbed off on Smile.

But why a skunk?

Cuz the reputation of playing like poo poo sticks to you like a skunk's smell.

That's my guess.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Man is that where all the animation went in this episode? This is the guy who got his stuff all cut right? It actually kinda bothered me how little animation there was this last episode, way too much of it just felt like static pictures with flapping mouths and it bugged the hell out of me, the art in this show looks so fantastic when it's animated.

Yeah that's all Bahi's stuff, based on the cut #s and matching the roughs to what we got, he was animating the majority of the climax of the episode. Its pretty obvious what we got is still using the exact same storyboards from Yuasa, but it was done in a hurry to fill for this stuff not making it.

Ping Pong's production is extremely tight even for anime. Yuasa started storyboarding it in the middle of January and has been running at a pace of one episode/10 days. He is currently (maybe finished by now) working on the storyboard for episode 11, the last one. Since storyboards are necessary before any animation can be done, the animation for this show wouldn't have started until around February at the earliest.

On a lighter note, here's a shot of Ohira's storyboard for the OP https://twitter.com/pingpong_anime/status/460677923771404288

aers fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 30, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I bet those will be in the BD version.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

We asked Bahi about that and he said he has no idea if they'll make it in. We can hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
This is the only anime I'm watching this season with any regularity, being a Yuasa fanboy. Like everyone else I think the OP and ED are great, especially for the uplifting lyrics. I actually didn't realize Smile threw the game before reading this thread, so thanks for that.

It does seem like an animated manga at parts, which makes me think it must be very faithful to the original.

Anyway, I'm impressed Yuasa managed to get me interested in a ping pong show. It's very different from his prior stuff, but I'm coming around.

• Locked thread