Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General_Failure posted:

That would be useful.

babby's first "what this do?"

It makes the rocket pad go faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
OK, who awarded Jeb the contract for the KSC Launchpad de-icing system?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Azipod posted:

OK, who awarded Jeb the contract for the KSC Launchpad de-icing system?

Contract?

:jeb:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spaceman Future! posted:

you are about 1 minute of work away from making a badass loop of fire for Jeb to jump rovers through.

“Jeb, I said put Li‐ions on the rovers, not lions!”

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
It's like Kerbals, in an effort to make heavy lifting easier, found a way to accelerate Kerbin itself in order to catapult craft out of Kerbin's SoI. When an egg headed Kerbal pointed out that this was many many orders of magnitude less efficient, Jeb just said "Shutup nerd, it looks cool!"

It's a good thing thing Kerbals are plasma-resistant. Of course not as much as what Jeb thinks, but that's why only KSC is populated. Ah, but that's another story...

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
After that first attempt I kind of worked things out a bit better. Next attempt was nothing exciting. Just the poor hapless RCS model again, but this time with a menu with a single option. "Explode". I'm getting the hang of basics of basic parts at least, instead of breaking the engine with a single line of code.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

EightBit posted:

Is the physics engine capable of simulating quadcopters?

Shanakin posted:

If you mean "is it capable of simulating 4 fixed thrust points" then yes.

This sounded like fun so I tried to emulate a quadcopter with stock parts, and came up with this

Its pretty fun to fly using RCS controls h,n keys to thrust up/down, and wasdqe for steering. It doesn't have a very long flight time with the tiny RCS tank on there.

I downloaded firespitter and played very briefly with the electric propellers which are quite a bit more practical than using RCS, in terms of flight time at least, but is there some way to control them in a similar way to rcs? For example when I press the A key to roll left, RCS knows to thrust upward on the right side and downward on the left side vehicle, so the thrust of individual parts is not controlled strictly by main throttle setting, but can vary independently depending on steering input.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

peepsalot posted:

I downloaded firespitter and played very briefly with the electric propellers which are quite a bit more practical than using RCS, in terms of flight time at least, but is there some way to control them in a similar way to rcs? For example when I press the A key to roll left, RCS knows to thrust downward on the left side vehicle, so the thrust of individual parts is not controlled strictly by main throttle setting, but can vary independently depending on steering input.
With the stock game, all engine parts are tied to the same throttle so your quadcopter will never vary thrust for rotation etc. The best you could do would be edit the firespitter propeller so that it had a much higher gimbal range, though I think that will be unstable.

There are a couple mods that have independent throttle, but nothing that ties engine throttle to the movement keys like a quadcopter needs. Something like this mod with 4 independent throttles wouldn't work because you'd have to control them by hand.

Probably that RCS one is the best, just turn on infinite fuel if you want to have fun and do tricks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also potentially add a set of powerful reaction wheels, or something like those intakeair powered RCS thrusters from B9 I think it was?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Throttle‐Controlled Avionics looks like it might fit the bill.

Now that I know about it, I’m going to use it to balance a spaceplane that’s been giving me trouble.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 29, 2014

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Spaceman Future! posted:

I have a feeling this means you don't know about EVA RCS, which means you are about to do something really cool. With your EVA Kerbal hit R, then hit shift and watch your James Bond jetpack go to work. Combine this with distance and forward thrust and you should be able to hit the lander with enough momentum to get it to flip over.

Oh, the spacesuit rockets! Yes, a good slam could work!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Amberskin posted:

Oh, the spacesuit rockets! Yes, a good slam could work!

Operation Beast Mode is a go

Also it was only last week that I figured out Kerbals are literally Little Green Men From Another World

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Man, docking (or rather, trying to match your orbit to something your docking) is tedious as hell

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Away all Goats posted:

Man, docking (or rather, trying to match your orbit to something your docking) is tedious as hell

Install the Lazor Docking Cam mod:

http://kerbalspaceport.com/lazor-docking-cam/

You'll fell like docking a Soyuz to the ISS.That will keep you entertained for a while.

After doing it a couple of hundred times, you will use the MechJeb autodock pilot :getin:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Amberskin posted:

Install the Lazor Docking Cam mod:

http://kerbalspaceport.com/lazor-docking-cam/

You'll fell like docking a Soyuz to the ISS.That will keep you entertained for a while.

After doing it a couple of hundred times, you will use the MechJeb autodock pilot :getin:

Forgive me but this mod is to help you when you're actually close enough to dock, right? I'm talking about the part where you are constantly adjusting your height to slow down/catch up to the docking port to actually get close enough to dock. Or does this help with that as well?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Platystemon posted:

Throttle‐Controlled Avionics looks like it might fit the bill.

Now that I know about it, I’m going to use it to balance a spaceplane that’s been giving me trouble.

This is perfect, thanks.

Now if I could just get a good camera angle to see where I'm going while flying. The chase cam kinda works, but I don't understand why it doesn't let you view from above your vessel without being upside down or backwards. Are there any mods that alter the flight camera controls? I know there are quite a few for camera parts to be mounted to vehicles, but I'm looking for a just a better 3rd person view case cam.

I did a little searching and basically the only thing I could find that describes more or less what I'm looking for is this bug report:
http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/456

I'm considering attempting to write a plugin for this if there's not something already out there.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Away all Goats posted:

I found it to be pretty easy after watching this.

Assuming you're already in orbit around the same body, here's the layman's guide to what you do:

1. Set whatever you're docking with as your target which will give you the Ascending Node (An) and Descending Node (Dn) markers. Set a maneuver node at either one and adjust your orbit so they read 0.0 degrees or NaN. This puts your orbit on exactly the same plane as your target.

2. Adjust your orbit until you have just one 'closest approach' node showing at the point where your orbit and your target's orbit touch. There will also be another marker showing where your target will be in its orbit when you reach that point, pay attention to that for the next step.

3. Set a maneuver node just after your point of closest approach and adjust either prograde or retrograde until the little indicator for your target's position on your next orbit lines up with where it says you'll be (you can mouse over the little arrows and it says how far you'll be, I usually won't settle for anything greater than a few km's at most). Once you've completed this burn, you should be set up so that when both you and your target complete your next orbit, you'll meet up just a short distance away from each other.

4. Set a maneuver node at the point where both craft are going to meet and adjust prograde/retrograde until your orbit matches exactly the orbit of your target. You'll know you've got the right speed because the indicators for closest approach and target position will go apeshit--ideally you want to have the markers for your first encounter (the orange one) and your second encounter (the purple one) to be on opposite sides of your post-burn orbit and each showing a low estimated distance.

5. Complete the burn for that last node and you should now be in an almost identical orbit to your target and only a short distance away. Now's the time to switch out of map view and work the actual docking.

I've docked heaps of stuff this way and it really takes the irritation out of the process. It's a bit more time consuming/fuel intensive than some other approaches, but it's super simple and reliable and I don't care. I haven't felt the need to use any docking mods, stock indicators work fine for me.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The Navyfish docking indicator is quite useful as well. Doesn't automate anything, but does give very clear indicators in regards to alignment, xyz displacement, and your current rate of approach. If the meatball's clear as mud, use this.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you're just needing to dock to a station from the launchpad, and the station is something like 100-200km out orbiting the equator, you should just go straight for an encounter and a hard burn to zero your relative velocity.

Just launch when your target is over the ocean to the left of the KSC rather than futzing with multiple orbits and other BS. Your boost stage has PLENTY of thrust to match orbits and catch up with the station and you should be able to get within 50km. You have 3 minutes to set up the encounter after your boost to AP and before your circularization. As long as your correction burn is less than about 300DV you're good. If you can't get an encounter, just make sure you quicksave on the pad first and try again.

It's a bit cheaty, but multiple launches until you get a feel for exactly when to launch takes much, much less time and hair loss than getting into orbit and trying to match them up that way.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 30, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why does the SpacePort download button say "buy now"?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Geirskogul posted:

Why does the SpacePort download button say "buy now"?

Cause it's an outsourced pile of pain and bad coding.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

Cause it's an outsourced pile of pain and bad coding.

Much like Oregon's healthcare exchange :downsrim:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is there a rule‐of‐thumb for how much much lift it takes to bring a given mass in for a smooth landing on the KSC runway?

My latest spaceplane gets into orbit fine, but it glides back like a brick

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Sounds like a pretty accurate Space Shuttle then. The brick comparison was literally used on it.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Today /kspg/ at 4chan sent me a 4 foot flag with Carl Sagan in front of a space background with 'Where the gently caress are my resources, bitch' at the bottom in white letters.

I knew working in the industry would be everything I dreamed of and more.

Edit: And a good friend ran it through a spectrograph and a geiger counter free of charge too, which is nice.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 30, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Maxmaps posted:

Today /kspg/ at 4chan sent me a 4 foot flag with Carl Sagan in front of a space background with 'Where the gently caress are my resources, bitch' at the bottom in white letters.

Edit: And a good friend ran it through a spectrograph and a geiger counter free of charge too, which is nice.

Given its origins, that was a prudent choice.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Keiya posted:

Sounds like a pretty accurate Space Shuttle then. The brick comparison was literally used on it.

A correctly shaped brick at sufficient velocity can cover quite a distance.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maxmaps posted:

Post pictures! Scan it and use it in game!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
An orbit? So what?

My first stock part SSTO spaceplane is what!

Yes I used R.A.P.I.E.R. engines but didn't exploit them. It also lost a rudder during takeoff but it didn't seem to matter much. What's nice is it has a hitchhiker module on it so it could be used for orbital Kerbonaut delivery.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

General_Failure posted:

An orbit? So what?

Yes I used R.A.P.I.E.R. engines but didn't exploit them. It also lost a rudder during takeoff but it didn't seem to matter much. What's nice is it has a hitchhiker module on it so it could be used for orbital Kerbonaut delivery.
Few things are more :jeb: than an SSTO biplane. Especially one looking like it was built from parts found in IKEA's reject pile. :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Devnote Tuesdays posted:

I upgraded one of the game models, with more polys and texture resolution for the renders.

Girlbals? :allears:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
So, are the girlbals also going to have Kerman as their last name?
Otherwise you could make something up to in the spirit of old Scandinavian last names, like Svensson and Svensdotter (Son of Sven, and Daughter of Sven respectively).

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Kerbsson and Kerbsdotter?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Forgive me but this mod is to help you when you're actually close enough to dock, right? I'm talking about the part where you are constantly adjusting your height to slow down/catch up to the docking port to actually get close enough to dock. Or does this help with that as well?

Rendezvous is really easy once you get used to it. I don't even really pay attention to the position of my target when I launch, I just launch to a slightly lower altitude than the ship I'm trying to dock with. The lower your orbit the faster you will move, so if you're behind your target you will catch up in an orbit or a few. Once you're somewhat close drop a maneuver node to get an encounter, you shouldn't have to burn more than maybe 50-100 m/s so if you're looking at a longer burn just move your node a bit and fiddle. Once you encounter burn at / away from your target until your relative speed is pretty low, then just make a few small burns until your prograde velocity is pointing straight at your target. (for prograde lead your prograde indicator to the target, if you get moving too fast just flip around and "push" the retrograde indicator towards the other end of the target). once your relative velocity is at or really close to 0, just point at your target and either give it a short burn with your engines or a couple pushes with the RCS, and make adjustments with RCS to keep your target lined up with prograde until you're close enough to dock, then zero out your velocity again.

Once you have done it a few times its painfully easy to make just a few short burns and stop right next to the docking port of your target.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

General_Failure posted:

An orbit? So what?

hahaha you know you can use like, 1 rapier to get into orbit, right? That is one seriously over-engineered plane: I wouldn't be surprised if you still have enough fuel to go to Minmus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can’t make a crew report from an External Command Seat. :negative:

I should have seen that one coming. Now I have to return to Tylo with a lander can.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General_Failure posted:

An orbit? So what?

Missed a premium opportunity to have Jeb stunt ride the wings

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Splode posted:

hahaha you know you can use like, 1 rapier to get into orbit, right? That is one seriously over-engineered plane: I wouldn't be surprised if you still have enough fuel to go to Minmus.

Managing to over-engineer an SSTO is pretty impressive in my book. And I'm pretty sure it takes more than one rapier to get a craft into orbit that can actually do anything useful.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

Kind of disappointed he's not Manfred von Kerman (the Green Baron)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Phy posted:

Kind of disappointed he's not Manfred von Kerman (the Green Baron)

Whoa. A custom skin with flight goggles and a scarf would be rad!

• Locked thread