Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

All cities get insane amounts of government subsidies for police gear and it actually pisses me off. I'm like 100% certain we can find a better use for federal money than making sure Bumblefuck County, Mississippi has a new swat truck with a water cannon and whatever else. Thanks DHS defense contractors! :suicide:

I've got a question on this. I share similar sentiments as someone who interned/was a contractor with FEMA/DHS, about how much DHS/Federal funding gets thrown to small departments that end up buying poo poo they really have no business procuring and how it leads to bigger problems.

How do you guys feel about regional SWAT or special response teams as opposed to every small town or city having one if they want it bad enough?

Untagged posted:

When residents of the City routinely take potshots at them you've got to have a backup. Not like the County wants to offer support of their helicopters to the City.

I wouldn't have been surprised to find out that they have two, but four? :lol: Guess that port security money is going somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
I think swat teams do have a purpose, and from what i've seen of other regional teams I think they are better than every small town having their own. I also think DHS/whatever agency should give money instead of armored cars to police depts on the stipulation it's used for training and education and hiring more officers.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Fat Marilyn Monroe posted:

What do you all cops think aobut the private prison industry?

It's absolutely goddamn reprehensible.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
taking freedom from human beings should never have a profit motive, whether that be speeding tickets or prison sentences. If society has decided to put someone in prison and deprive them of freedom then society should bear the cost.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Tentacle Party is trolling. Tentacle Party please stop trolling.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've got a question on this. I share similar sentiments as someone who interned/was a contractor with FEMA/DHS, about how much DHS/Federal funding gets thrown to small departments that end up buying poo poo they really have no business procuring and how it leads to bigger problems.

How do you guys feel about regional SWAT or special response teams as opposed to every small town or city having one if they want it bad enough?

I wouldn't have been surprised to find out that they have two, but four? :lol: Guess that port security money is going somewhere.

SWAT teams have a place in city-level departments and above. If there's a critical incident you shouldn't need to wait 3-4 hours for your county SWAT team to spin up and brief on an area they may or may not be familiar with.

With that said I agree that if DHS wants to blow its load to departments it should be in funding staffing and training, not armored vehicles. If your agency can't afford an armored vehicle, it probably doesn't need the capabilities of one.
--

Also the private prison industry is disgusting and abhorrent, but probably to be expected in a capitalist society where people are expecting cost savings in their budget wherever they can find them. Not my taxes and all that.

Outsourcing from local government to a private contractor will almost always be cheaper.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 30, 2014

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
If I ran a private prison, I'd only take hot chicks.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

USMC503 posted:

If I ran a private prison, I'd only take hot chicks.

You'd make tens of millions a month with the reality TV shows you could film there

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Female inmates are the worst. Imagine a whole prison full of women on their period.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
If you put a suspect in the back of your car, and they decided to take a poo poo in it, what is the proper response? Are there legal ramifications for dumping in a cop car?

I'm not trolling, I'm just curious. Doesn't feel like you could stop somebody from squeezing one out in the back if they really wanted to.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If you put a suspect in the back of your car, and they decided to take a poo poo in it, what is the proper response? Are there legal ramifications for dumping in a cop car?

I'm not trolling, I'm just curious. Doesn't feel like you could stop somebody from squeezing one out in the back if they really wanted to.

Wash it out with a hose? I mean, they'd probably just make a mess of their pants considering where they are.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
For the purposes of waiving Miranda rights, does that count as making a statement? And can you hold it against them? The poop I mean, although I guess their pants are already doing that. What if that statement reflects poorly onto others?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's mostly going to be in their pants... And we're then mostly going to roll our front windows down, close the full cage window (ensuring little air movement in the back), and take the long way to the jail depending on how much stench leaked in to the front. After that it's just going to sit in their pants until their processed and the jail deputies hose them down and probably give them the "I poo poo my pants" jail scrubs so all the other detainees know what happened. Then you hose out the back of your car and move on. If your not feeling like being a good sport about it tack on a defacing government property charge.

The jail my old agency used had "trustees" that would clean up cop cars and after other inmates. So you'd pull the cruiser around back, some trustees would clean it out, and then promptly go inside the jail and "express their frustration" with their new cellmate. Wish we had them here, would be great.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The back of cruisers are nasty as hell, when I got arrested I caught pink eye like the next day. (Never smoke so much weed you pass out in a cop car. It's embarrassing. I'm pretty sure I was snoring because the police were laughing at me.)

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
Do you think there would ever possibly be a time where a civilian would be able to shoot a cop and not go to jail for it (if they magically somehow survived the event)?

The scenario that comes into my mind would be cops executing a raid/search warrant on the wrong house at night and the homeowner starts shooting at the armed invaders.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

USMC503 posted:

Do you think there would ever possibly be a time where a civilian would be able to shoot a cop and not go to jail for it (if they magically somehow survived the event)?

The scenario that comes into my mind would be cops executing a raid/search warrant on the wrong house at night and the homeowner starts shooting at the armed invaders.

Didn't Indiana make a law about this?

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

For some reason another officer and I were the only ones who had to deal with bodily fluids on a regular basis (five officer dept). Usually the deal was we'd rotate between the two of us cleaning up fluids. On one of my rotations a guy in a domestic smashed a glass in his own face, thereby cutting his face and hands.While I was inside getting a statement from the wife, for some reason after they cuffed him they let him lean up against the trunk of the car. Well, after we get him off to county and come back, he was bleeding so much while leaning against the back of the car that I had to pry off the molding on the edge of the trunk lid to clean it. It was like it was some horror movie about a possessed Crown Victoria, oozing blood out from in between the crevasses of the trunk molding. To top that one off, instead of grabbing our industrial grade HIV killing disinfectant spray to clean the back seats, I grabbed a can of stainless steel cleaner. Why we even had that I had no idea, but it came in the same exact can and packaging scheme as the disinfectant. Made the vinyl shiny, though.

On his next rotation he got to clean some semi-frozen blueberry adult beverage out of the back. Good times.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I've had poo poo thrown at me through the mesh walls of a cage in the back of a van before. Threw my trousers away after that. Thank gently caress I didn't get any above my waist. Was pretty funny watching them try and explain in magistrates court why they were caught on camera & microphone throwing poo poo at an officer that was being polite and courteous to them.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

USMC503 posted:

In the Bronx or Brooklyn.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

USMC503 posted:

Something very similar happened in my department a few years prior to my employment. I can't find any articles on the story, but they way it was told to me goes like this:

John Smith is at his home minding his own business when Angry Neighbor comes knocking with some kind of dispute. They get into some crazy argument which ends with Angry Neighbor saying "I'll be back for you, I'm going to get my gun :mad:"

John Smith then locks his doors and gets his own gun while calling the police stating that Angry Neighbor was armed and on his way to kill him.

A group of plainclothes narcs heard the dispatch and arrived first. The narcs didn't hear any shouting or gunshots within the residence, but they didn't know if Angry Neighbor was already in Mr. Smith's house because dispatch lost contact with Mr. Smith. They quietly surrounded the home and waited for uniformed officers while requesting that dispatch make contact with Mr. Smith to 1) find out where Angry Neighbor was and 2) let him know that officers were outside his home.

Before dispatch could make contact with Mr. Smith, he exited his rear door and saw a shadowy figure holding a gun. Mr. Smith shoots Det. Narco in the leg, and Det. Narco returns fire shooting Mr. Smith somewhere in the torso (I'm not sure really).

Det. Narco says that he identified himself by shouting "police" and Mr. Smith says that he thought that Det. Narco was Angry Neighbor coming to kill him. Mr. Smith is arrested for attempted 1st degree murder, but after reviewing the case the DA refused the charges. He was however a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, and ended up serving some time for that.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

USMC503 posted:

It can absolutely happen.

Police officer entering a house without identifying himself in a state that has castle laws. Causing mass confusion among D&D as they can't decide if its good or bad. On one hand castle laws, on the other a dead cop. If we are lucky the resulting black hole of collective conflicted emotion would devour it.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
It happened in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.698274

Stalez
Jun 27, 2003
20 dollars my ass

Christmas Miracle posted:

are american police required to take an ethics class when they are at the police academy and what is covered in that class? same question for british police.

My academy had a class devoted to it. We also have one In-service a year devoted to ethics and diversity training. Usually it's an 8 hour class.

Stalez fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 1, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, I noticed this site http://www.policemisconduct.net/ and they link to news articles everyday of Police Misconduct, and poo poo things that bad officers do. I was wondering if you guys are allowed to talk to the news or if you are discouraged? Like are there public records of these sort of things? How do reporters find out about police misconduct and stuff like that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If you've read this thread you've probably noticed how it's impossible to give an answer that can't be misquoted and twisted into literally the opposite of what was said :). The rank-and-file members are supposed to be cooperative with the media, but they tell us to keep our answers short, direct and factual, and to answer only the questions about specific facts we personally observed (which usually means restating the plainly obvious). This makes us much more boring than the public affairs staff, so most of the time the reporters will skip right over us and go to them directly.

The decisions of the Police Services Board and SIU are public records and every worthwhile media outlet listens to what they say in the hopes they'll hear something worth reporting to everyone else. It's also pretty common for the police service to announce when their own members have been suspended or charged in relation to an incident, especially if that incident was reported in the media earlier.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Stalez posted:

My academy had a class devoted to it. We also have one In-service a year devoted to ethics and diversity training. Usually it's an 8 hour class.

yeah, this is similar to what i heard in the gbs thread. so it's an 8 hour class on ethics but that's not really enough to cover competing conceptions of right and wrong like what you would get at a community college ethics class, right? what kind of stuff do they go over in the class?

edit: also, you're from the US, right?

Hell Yeah fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 1, 2014

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

so it's an 8 hour class on ethics but that's not really enough to cover competing conceptions of right and wrong like what you would get at a community college ethics class, right?

Well that explains most, if not all, of our juvenile problems. They just haven't been to the community college right and wrong class yet!

Untagged posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:aaa:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
You guys ever do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNYobXLCUhY

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

:smith: Not deliberately.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Untagged posted:

Well that explains most, if not all, of our juvenile problems. They just haven't been to the community college right and wrong class yet!

i don't understand what you're trying to say, but i don't think it's a bad idea for police officers to have the simplest level of education in ethics, like what you would get out of a 4 credit hour (four hours class time a week for 10-12 weeks) community college class on ethics. an understanding of competing conceptions of right and wrong seems like it would be useful when police are making decisions that can permanently affect a person's life on a day-to-day basis. don't you agree?

Stalez
Jun 27, 2003
20 dollars my ass
I'll try and see if I have the old course outline mandated by the state. But yes it's very basic and no they don't go into ethical theories. We had 7 months of training and I usually had to take 2-3 tests a week. There was an enormous amount of material. Given how little time we had, it's hard to go into depth on many of the topics. That time also includes practical training (Defensive tactics, SCAT, Driving, Shooting, PT).

At least in my class, I believe there were only a few without a bachelors and those without had military experience. We had somewhere close to 1500 people apply for 50 spots, of those about 35% did not complete the training.

Stalez fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 1, 2014

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Why do we need a class in ethics to determine if someone violated the law? All we do is arrest people suspected of a crime, for which the behavioural, ethical, and moral implications aren't really our concern. ?

Stalez
Jun 27, 2003
20 dollars my ass

when police are making decisions that can permanently affect a person's life on a day-to-day basis. don't you agree?

This is placing all the blame on the police, would like to share the burden with the offender as well?

I'm so sorry I arrested you for beating your wife! I know this will make your life hard now. You know on a day to day basis at least.

Oh and about the drunk driving charge, sorry you can't drive for a year, I know that's gonna make harder it for you too. All that money for the lawyer. So stressful.

Stalez fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 1, 2014

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Turtlicious posted:

So, I noticed this site http://www.policemisconduct.net/ and they link to news articles everyday of Police Misconduct, and poo poo things that bad officers do. I was wondering if you guys are allowed to talk to the news or if you are discouraged? Like are there public records of these sort of things? How do reporters find out about police misconduct and stuff like that.

Didn't want your post to get lost in the debate.

We're officially discouraged from talking to the media "in an official capacity." IE: I can't start conducting interviews in uniform and representing myself as a member of the agency. That's why there's a public information officer/press liaison position in most departments. That said, there's always going to be reporters that build relationships with officers in order to get the unfiltered info and dig more into the story. Especially when it involves possible officer misconduct.

Also most media get their information will either through the aforementioned PIO or, if it's something the agency doesn't want to put out there, through a Freedom of Information Act request. Most anything an agency does is going to be available through FOIA, though I've read stories of agencies trying to suppress some requests.

We also pretty frequently do ride-along's with members of the press. I've never had one but from what I've been told you're free to talk about whatever with them during the ride-along. During the government shutdown we had various news outlets riding with officers almost every week.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Stalez posted:

This is placing all the blame on the police, would like to share the burden with the offender as well?

I'm so sorry I arrested you for beating your wife! I know this will make your life hard now. You know on a day to day basis at least.

Oh and about the drunk driving charge, sorry you can't drive for a year, I know that's gonna make harder it for you too. All that money for the lawyer. So stressful.

Sorry you had some weed on ya, hope you like prison and never getting a job. Don't like it? Too bad you loving felon.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

isn't it true that police are encouraged to use their discretion to decide when to enforce certain laws and when not to?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
We have some leeway in some circumstances and if you can find a reasonable outcome that doesn't involve someone being arrested then you usually take it. Obviously anything serious and we don't have a choice, like domestic violence, anything to do with a child etc

When I was fresh in service I did search a guy because he was smoking a joint on a train station platform as dozens of people walked past him and saw me in uniform about 20 meters away. I found 2 joints with about 2 grams of weed, it was in a busy train station so I couldn't just throw it down the drain so I had to write him up for it. Turns out it was his 3rd time, poor git went to court, found guilt and lost his job. I felt pretty bad for him but at the end of the day, don't be a loving idiot and push an officer in to a corner where he can't exercise discretion, we all have better things to do than nick someone for a joint but half the time they manage to get caught doing a combination of stupid things, like smoking it while they drive or in a park with kids around them.

Stalez
Jun 27, 2003
20 dollars my ass

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Sorry you had some weed on ya, hope you like prison and never getting a job. Don't like it? Too bad you loving felon.

I don't think anyone I've charged with possession has gone to prison. People who go to prison are not your casual pot smokers. Hell under half an ounce is decriminalized in my state. If it's your first offense the'll expunge it if you go to a class.

Also don't smoke weed where it's illegal? I'll regress, just try and not smoke weed in the dumbest places where you'll get caught.

Stalez fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 2, 2014

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

isn't it true that police are encouraged to use their discretion to decide when to enforce certain laws and when not to?

Yes. If I have a guy that's technically drunk but low enough that he's not falling all over himself, I'll throw them on a tow truck rather than hit them with a DUI charge. I'll usually do the same thing for people with suspended licenses and they're not complete dicks when I'm talking to them. Hell, I had a guy with an open warrant (failure to appear for jury duty, lol) and I just told him to turn himself in to a police station the next morning so he wouldn't spend a night in jail.

The only time I won't show discretion with someone is if it's a violent crime or it's a DUI crash.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What about property crimes, like vandalism and theft? Do you not deal with those much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I don't really deal with those types of calls. When we do get called for vandalism the person is long gone and I'm not very inclined to investigate beyond taking the report so maintenance can paint over it.

• Locked thread