Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
It took me about halfway through the episode before I realized/remembered that it was the sneaky pilot for a spin off. Now, I love all things Supernatural and supernatural. I was watch plenty of terrible shows just because they have some supernatural elements, like Blood Ties, Bitten, True Blood, Secret Circle...

I'm sure I'll watch this crappy Bloodlines show too, but ugh. Any hopes I had of it being worthwhile were pretty much flushed down the shitter. But drat it - I'll watch anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
The Supernatural Anime was better than this. The show that involved a magic robot made of cars, that made Bobby look like this, and that involved Dean spontaneously breaking into an embarrassing dance number.

That was better than Bloodlines. :(

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Here's what should have happened when that kid tells them the other guy's a shapeshifter.

That kid: He's a shapeshifter.
Dean: Alright, we'll kill him before we go.

Dean and Sam only knew the guy by name at that point, they had no idea he was not running around being a murderer like all the other monsters. They should have assumed he's a killer.

The only way this could be worse is if instead of a Mafia storyline it revolved around shapeshifters being terrorists because they could be anybody. Actually that would be cool, like when shapeshifters infiltrated Earth on Deep Space 9.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 30, 2014

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
That was bad, and the story made the premise impossible. Hunters will wipe that poo poo out.

When the blonde was pleading about "think of the children," are we ignoring that they literally feed on children? Is this a joke? Irony?

It's funny, but that guy who killed the hunter is going to hell before the hunter*

*pending god's opinion on collateral damage

Femur fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 30, 2014

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
what the gently caress was that

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Manos del Sino posted:

It took me about halfway through the episode before I realized/remembered that it was the sneaky pilot for a spin off. Now, I love all things Supernatural and supernatural. I was watch plenty of terrible shows just because they have some supernatural elements, like Blood Ties, Bitten, True Blood, Secret Circle...

I'm sure I'll watch this crappy Bloodlines show too, but ugh. Any hopes I had of it being worthwhile were pretty much flushed down the shitter. But drat it - I'll watch anyway.

Me too man. This show obviously nothing to do with Supernatural , they cheated us. I'll check it out and try not to think of it as a spinoff, but it's already left a bad impression.

They really messed up by picking crime syndicate.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yeah, everything about this episode required willfully ignoring the lore and atmosphere already established by Supernatural. It's totally disingenuous to connect them. It doesn't even share qualitative aspects, like its sense of humor.

Now, we're going to have this show set in the same universe as Sam, Dean, Castiel, and an entire cosmology that involves angels, demons, the afterlife, and a God who objectively exists. But we're not supposed to think about that. We're supposed to have an emotional stake in the vampire mafia's turf war with werewolves.

(Of course, on less pedantic grounds, people watch Supernatural for Sam and Dean's flippant approach to horror genre elements. This show has neither aspect, but uses the same name. That may pull viewers in, but then quickly alienate them when they don't understand the product they're getting.)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bull3964 posted:

If they want to do a spinoff, do a period piece with The Men Of Letters.

I'd watch that, unlike the spin-off.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Occult Mad Men would own the poo poo out of this formulaic pablum.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Xealot posted:

Yeah, everything about this episode required willfully ignoring the lore and atmosphere already established by Supernatural. It's totally disingenuous to connect them. It doesn't even share qualitative aspects, like its sense of humor.

Now, we're going to have this show set in the same universe as Sam, Dean, Castiel, and an entire cosmology that involves angels, demons, the afterlife, and a God who objectively exists. But we're not supposed to think about that. We're supposed to have an emotional stake in the vampire mafia's turf war with werewolves.

(Of course, on less pedantic grounds, people watch Supernatural for Sam and Dean's flippant approach to horror genre elements. This show has neither aspect, but uses the same name. That may pull viewers in, but then quickly alienate them when they don't understand the product they're getting.)

The moment the shifter wasn't dropping skin like some Cronenbergian horror (btw Nightshifter is probably one of the best episodes of the series) I realized how horrible this was going to be. I mean, on the face of it, it looked like it would be a lovely cash-in of the Vampire Diaries schlock that I was pretty sure CW was already inundated in, but I was hoping that some of that old charm that made Supernatural awesome and unique would rub off. Not that it has a lot to spare anymore.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

First Bass posted:

The moment the shifter wasn't dropping skin like some Cronenbergian horror (btw Nightshifter is probably one of the best episodes of the series) I realized how horrible this was going to be. I mean, on the face of it, it looked like it would be a lovely cash-in of the Vampire Diaries schlock that I was pretty sure CW was already inundated in, but I was hoping that some of that old charm that made Supernatural awesome and unique would rub off. Not that it has a lot to spare anymore.

It reeks of desperation, because the CW knows that Supernatural will probably end after season 10 no matter what, and they desperately want to attach it's success to a new generic fantasy show for ratings.

It could've worked if the new show was only tangentially related to Sam and Dean, but instead it comes off as a completely separate franchise forced into the Supernatural world while breaking all the lore rules and more or less being an affront to 9 years of Sam and Dean hunting monsters and killing them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
God drat what is with the eyebrows in this episode?

loving hell. :smuggo: leads with snarky dialog.

This... this isn't Supernatural. This is what happens when a tv exec binge watches 3 seasons of Angel and reads a few of the Dresden File books and decides to name a spinoff after another show that is well received.

Granted, I know season 1 of the show was pretty god damned rough in spots, but at least they were consistent with the lore and backstory. This is just a weird rehash minus all the actual lore that makes the whole series work. Hell they even included the "dad only communicating by cell phone".

I'll give it a shot, but holy poo poo this backdoor pilot was asstastic.

I was kinda happy Dean finally got to be taller than some people though :allears:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I still think the spinoff needs to be The Adventures of Felicia "The Internet" Day in the Magical Land of Oz.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Geeze. That was bad, besides the lore what made me cringe was the mysterious phone call from the dead father. Not all heros need to have dead parents.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yeah, that was pretty drat dumb. What really sucks is that the premise of a set of monster mob families and a hunter chasing them down would own in a vacuum. It just doesn't work with SPN though, since the idea that Sam and Dean wouldn't make sure they were all wiped out is ludicrous. Plus, as people have said, the show fucks with monster lore. And Supernatural's story, with things like angels and demons, is all too global for Bloodlines to plausibly exist in its own little Chicago bubble.

If Bloodlines was a standalone show I'd watch it. Though I think it would work better as a series of open-world games.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

McSpanky posted:

Occult Mad Men would own the poo poo out of this formulaic pablum.

They already have the base built. I'm sure they could share the set.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
In regards to the changed shapeshifter power, wasn't that how the Alpha Shapeshifter changed? Since this new show seems like it'll be big on keeping the bloodlines pure, it might make some form of sense that their power would be closer to their creators.

In regards to the episode, was amused that they didn't name the two other monster families (I don't think?). I guess maybe they're leaving that open until they get a full series, in case they change their mind.

Wraiths look to be allied with one of the families, and we saw Vampires. Ghouls I think were also mentioned, but I don't recall in what regard.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 30, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Teek posted:

In regards to the changed shapeshifter power, wasn't that how the Alpha Shapeshifter changed? Since this new show seems like it'll be big on keeping the bloodlines pure, it might make some form of sense that their power would be closer to their creators.

Yeah that's why I don't really mind it that much because there is precedent (I don't think the same was true with the werewolves but you could extrapolate it I guess).

The actual show is kind of cheesy though and the main shapeshifter guy looks like a cross between Robert Pattinson and the guy that plays Spider-Man in the new films.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Djinn seemed to be one as well, but they could just be small-time and not a member of the big five. It's also funny how Chicago almost got leveled by a hurricane summoned by Death himself, or that after the apocalypse Eve was sending out the bat-signal for every one of her creepy-crawly children as Crowley began hunting monsters in his arms race with Cass to become God. Maybe one of the five families are Jefferson Starships?

Also, what this backdoor pilot should have had more of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrHm04WVvKQ

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
Honestly the only part I found good about the episode was the ending. I laughed when black not-cop's dad pulled a John Winchester.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
By setting the show in the Supernatural universe they made certain that I won't be able to watch more than 5 minutes of it without thinking "I wish Sam and Dean were here, they'd just machete this dudes head off and be drinking beers by dinnertime."

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Yaos posted:

Here's what should have happened when that kid tells them the other guy's a shapeshifter.

That kid: He's a shapeshifter.
Dean: Alright, we'll kill him before we go.

Dean and Sam only knew the guy by name at that point, they had no idea he was not running around being a murderer like all the other monsters. They should have assumed he's a killer.

Dean's racism wouldn't really go well as an introduction to a show where the monsters are supposed to be relatable.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I liked it. :shobon: I get some of the criticisms, but I like the premise and I think it'll work as its own show before long.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oasx posted:

Dean's racism wouldn't really go well as an introduction to a show where the monsters are supposed to be relatable.

Don't defend it.

There's no point in it being a spinoff if they literally disregard everything we know about this universe.

Here, let me fix the premise and make it work in the universe:

(Very first, eliminate any idea that the monster mafia in Chicago existed historically. This is laughable in this universe since hunters would have prevented it from happening.)

Due to the angels falling and the growing demon civil war, the monsters feel that they need to look out for themselves. They decide Chicago will be their capital and start to make a concentrated effort to take over the underworld of the city. Our protagonists monsters decide to work with the son of a cop/hunter to prevent this from happening at all costs. They decide to work together because the human knows this means the wholesale slaughter of mankind and the monsters know that this draws undue attention to their kind and makes them a target.

Big bang boom. Now we have something that's logically consistent in the Supernatural universe while setting up interesting conflicts that don't seem like a complete retread of "The Originals."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I liked it. :shobon: I get some of the criticisms, but I like the premise and I think it'll work as its own show before long.

I don't think it's objectively a bad premise, just that it makes no sense given the scope of Supernatural's plot. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was conceived as totally unrelated to Supernatural, and was simply made to fit. Much like Caprica, which was actually a decent show with some great ideas, but one that was kind of muddled by forcing it to connect to Battlestar Galactica.

Spinoff shows about Men of Letters, or Felicia Day in Oz, or rogue angels, or even just other hunters elsewhere in the world all sound *leagues* better as tie-in's to Supernatural.

Seriously, a 1940's-set detective noir about Men of Letters sounds absolutely fantastic. And more to the point, it'd actually feel different than 50% of the CW's existing current lineup. How is Bloodlines different from Vampire Diaries or The Originals? There are some different types of monster?

Edit:

bull3964 posted:

Big bang boom. Now we have something that's logically consistent in the Supernatural universe while setting up interesting conflicts that don't seem like a complete retread of "The Originals."

Beaten on my last point. But even though that'd make it more consistent, it doesn't change the fact that a couple thousand nuclear bombs just dropped out of heaven. It'd kind of undermine a level of suspense to know that at any random point, an Angel of God could show up and burn everyone's souls out of their eyes using Divine Power.

Not that there are no interesting stories to tell about monster characters, but it's hard to see Ennis' "monsters are real!?!" revelation as impactful when we know that not only are they real, but so are way more powerful things that make vampires look like mosquitos.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 30, 2014

The Space Race
Jan 1, 2014
They let him shoot a human. They did not even try to stop him. WTF.

Sam and Dean were so out of character, might as well have been shapeshifters posing as them.

Also, I agree with what others said. 'Charlie & Dorothy: Witch Hunters' must happen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

Seriously, a 1940's-set detective noir about Men of Letters sounds absolutely fantastic. And more to the point, it'd actually feel different than 50% of the CW's existing current lineup. How is Bloodlines different from Vampire Diaries or The Originals? There are some different types of monster?

I know it sounds reductive but I really believe the CW is more concerned with casting and wardrobe than pretty much anything else involved in production of a new series. They can't do a noir series set in the 1940's because then the men couldn't wear really tight V-neck shirts and have spiky hair.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I kinda liked Lucien Laviscount, he could come over to guest star as a Hunter in Supernatural once this show is canceled. Otherwise, as others said, doesn't fit the tone of Supernatural, instead it feels more like it belongs into the Vampire Diaries universe, doesn't gel with the lore at all and the monsters don't work like they usually do just for the sake of this show. I mean, Dean and Sam got told that 5 monster families rule Chicago and instead cleaning house and leave no monster alive they basically nod and go home to play with Crowley, Metatron and Abbadon (rightfully so, but they could take half an hour off their world saving schedule to free that city). Overall incredibly forgettable.

Decius fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 30, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I was under the impression that the Supernatural spinoff was a show about a human Hunter, a Werewolf, a Shapeshifter, Vampire, and a djinn, all hunting together in a team. Like the Justice League, supernatural style.

I'd like to think that that was a better idea.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

TheTarrasque posted:

I still think the spinoff needs to be The Adventures of Felicia "The Internet" Day in the Magical Land of Oz.

Either that or Boy and His Golem.

Or Knight Rider, but with Racist Truck.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Weird episode.

Felt very much Dresden Files with monsters in charge of crime/ganglands.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Having just watched this, mostly out of morbid curiosity, I'm wondering if whoever wrote it ever watched an episode of supernatural.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Paradise Lost posted:

Having just watched this, mostly out of morbid curiosity, I'm wondering if whoever wrote it ever watched an episode of supernatural.

He apparently wrote at least one episode.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
I think Metatron wrote this just to keep Sam and Dean busy. He did not put too much effort into to it, but just hoped that they would be bogged down in Chicago for awhile until his plans worked out.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
Andrew Dabb has written a lot of episodes, actually, including some really good ones, Like Dark Side of the Moon, Weekend at Bobby's and Hunteri Heroici. I have no idea what happened here.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Coulrophobia posted:

Andrew Dabb has written a lot of episodes, actually, including some really good ones, Like Dark Side of the Moon, Weekend at Bobby's and Hunteri Heroici. I have no idea what happened here.

It's not actually that lovely of a script, in its own right. It just has the awkwardness of any pilot, where characters have to overstate their defining traits, and there's a lot of transparent exposition.

We're all reacting poorly because of how unlike Supernatural it is, but I don't think it's superlatively badly written. It feels off because it's quite literally an episode of a different show.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
I dunno, man, to me it was a pretty awful episode in essentially every regard. It is possible to write a good pilot without coming off like someone's half-baked crossover fanfiction.

Yeah, it's a different show, but it's a spinoff of Supernatural, so it should at least carry over some of the elements that people actually liked about Supernatural. They shouldn't completely clash, and the parent series shouldn't have to undergo lore/character-butchering for the sake of facilitating a spinoff--especially since the show's already given us significantly better springboards for spinoffs that people would actually want to see.

On top of that I just found it badly paced, the Winchesters were totally out of character, and the "dead dad is alive" plot twist was hilariously badly set up considering it was only introduced like 15 seconds before the "twist" even happened.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coulrophobia posted:

I dunno, man, to me it was a pretty awful episode in essentially every regard. It is possible to write a good pilot without coming off like someone's half-baked crossover fanfiction.

Yeah, it's a different show, but it's a spinoff of Supernatural, so it should at least carry over some of the elements that people actually liked about Supernatural. They shouldn't completely clash, and the parent series shouldn't have to undergo lore/character-butchering for the sake of facilitating a spinoff--especially since the show's already given us significantly better springboards for spinoffs that people would actually want to see.

On top of that I just found it badly paced, the Winchesters were totally out of character, and the "dead dad is alive" plot twist was hilariously badly set up considering it was only introduced like 15 seconds before the "twist" even happened.

The twist ending was terrible in every possible way. The delivery of the line was horrendous. In fact the acting the whole way through was horrendous, wtf was the scene where he "comes back" to his family where those henchmen kind of hug him but don't and then his sister has that god-awful cliche'd expression change when she hugs him. It watched like a bad mafia movie that you find in a $2 bin at your local super market.

I wouldn't have cared that the winchesters were after thoughts if the rest of it was halfway decent.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
That too. I think the Winchesters being off just stood out to me because, as a backdoor pilot, you'd think they'd at least keep them around as a sort of crutch to the episode just in case the rest didn't go over well, but no, they got caught up in the trainwreck too. They could've even kept them as uninvolved as they were in Bitten, but instead went the weirdest route of breaking their current characterization for the sake of facilitating the plot.

Oh, and what was up with the reused dialogue? "I was here. Where were you?" is literally what Dean told Cas in The Man Who Would Be King. Was that intentional, or were they just aping dialogue from better episodes and hoping no one would notice?

Come on, CW, just take it back and give us a series about Aaron and the Golem already! A buddy comedy about a dorky gay Jewish kid and a golem trying to stop Nazi Necromancers? Who WOULDN'T watch that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Coulrophobia posted:

Come on, CW, just take it back and give us a series about Aaron and the Golem already! A buddy comedy about a dorky gay Jewish kid and a golem trying to stop Nazi Necromancers? Who WOULDN'T watch that?

CW's prime demographic, that only seems to care about awful teen dramas?

• Locked thread