Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
if you really wanna do some TX trackdays let me know. we're all about helping others. heck, we have a kid from, that came and rode with us for fun and practice, and now he's in europe racing. if need be, i'm sure we could help with a place to crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
I won a free track day of my choosing from Sportbike track time in a sweet raffle at Deals Gap this weekend. I have never done a trackday before and have only been riding less than two years. I'm in Indiana and the only track we have here is Putnam and it sucks. I'm thinking of doing a day there for fairly cheap to get some skill built, then using my voucher to race at a kickass track day on a good track in the "B" group. Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to what tracks would be worth my time? Been looking at Grattan in Alabama.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Incursus posted:

I won a free track day of my choosing from Sportbike track time in a sweet raffle at Deals Gap this weekend. I have never done a trackday before and have only been riding less than two years. I'm in Indiana and the only track we have here is Putnam and it sucks. I'm thinking of doing a day there for fairly cheap to get some skill built, then using my voucher to race at a kickass track day on a good track in the "B" group. Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to what tracks would be worth my time? Been looking at Grattan in Alabama.

VIR/Barber are amazing and expensive as hell so they are perfect for the free vouchers. Little Talladega is the other track I've had the bikes at and it's a great little track to run, also usually pretty inexpensive.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Veritas posted:

if you really wanna do some TX trackdays let me know. we're all about helping others. heck, we have a kid from, that came and rode with us for fun and practice, and now he's in europe racing. if need be, i'm sure we could help with a place to crash.

I do! ECR will be later this season. I wouldn't mind doing COTA but it sold out in like .000000002 seconds. Driving up to MPH in a few weeks.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

xaarman posted:

Paid $120.80 for 4 pads via a CMRA dealer.

Going to go back to RBF600 as well.

MC will probably be a mid summer project, but I've never done anything like that before. Have to find new copper crush washers and everything as well.

Swapping a master cylinder is pretty straight forward. You can find crushwashers at any decent autoparts store or order them off the microfiche for $3/each:
http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500476ecf8700209bc798345/front-master-cylinder

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Guess who's back... And now with something actually appropriate for the track!

Getting stuff lined up for June 7 and I can't wait to get back on the track. Been too Goddamn long.

needknees fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 16, 2014

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
She's back from the dead.

And with a vengeance. Got to take her out at MSR houston on saturday. The 750 motor is in-loving-sane. It wants to wheelie in 3rd gear just for fun. I was instructing in novice group, and 2nd gear was all i needed to catch and pass students. I did take it out in the advance sessions, and it's scary how fast and hard it accelerates compared to when it was a 600. Turns come up REAL fast when your still accelerating at the top of 4th gear, and there's still 2 gears left. :aaaaa:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Suzuki really should get on the electronics bandwagon. A GSXR-750 with ABS, traction control and a slipper clutch would be amazing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They've had slipper clutches since at least 06... at least my 06 750 has it. ;) drat things are monsters on the track... 135ish whp with a good tune and full exhaust.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

They should have all three.

And a quickshifter.

All four.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Mine is an 07. Has a slipper, and i had a quickshifter, but it's not enabled since i had to go back to a stock 750 harness. I might buy a stand alone QS, but i don't need it. Next thing is to send of my GPR stabilizer for service.

I have a yoshimura race ECU i'm not going to use, along with the yoshimura race harness. anyone interested?

BlackMK4 posted:

drat things are monsters on the track... 135ish whp with a good tune and full exhaust.

It's no joke. I'm still running full Ti M4 exhaust, and the 750 ECU i got with the motor is flashed ;)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If it's a flashtune ECU they can enable quickshifting on the stock harness - it uses the Yosh plug. I have the setup on mine, it works but I'm also not jaded by having used a real QS system yet.... :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
A Lesson in How to Brake Too Much, Too Early; feat. needknees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFHRH-A1lU

My first day back at the track in nearly three years, on an unfamiliar bike. Mainly was working on consistency and lines, getting comfortable with track riding again. I started feeling pretty good at the end of the day... this is from the second to last session.

BTW Dunlop Q3s are an amazing tire for not much money. Incredibly impressed by their grip and feel. That said... I can't wait to get some race tires on this thing and get back to the track!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

xaarman posted:

I do! ECR will be later this season. I wouldn't mind doing COTA but it sold out in like .000000002 seconds. Driving up to MPH in a few weeks.

double postin because I just saw this...

I was kicking around the idea of driving over to Hastings for the next Trackaddix weekend as well. Anyone else planning to go?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I live down in Oklahoma, my monthly track is Hallett (which is amazing with it's fresh pavement.)

Before I lived in Omaha so am well familiar with everything TrackAddix.

I'll be back to MPH for their weekend in September though. Where you at?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

xaarman posted:

I live down in Oklahoma, my monthly track is Hallett (which is amazing with it's fresh pavement.)

Before I lived in Omaha so am well familiar with everything TrackAddix.

I'll be back to MPH for their weekend in September though. Where you at?

I'm from central Iowa. MPH is a bit of a haul but not bad in the grand scheme of things... Just one boring drive. I am planning on the Sep weekend (at the very least saturday) as well.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Post the pictures where you're pointing at things!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Hey Z3n, does your GoPro get much wind resistance there?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Where them videos at :colbert:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hey cool, yours is chin-mounted too!

Mine only gets irritating when I'm fully tucked (it clanks against the tank) but no noticeable wind drag from what I can tell.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Shimrod posted:

I have mine mounted in the same spot and it's been pretty stable up to speeds over 100 mph.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shimrod posted:

A little. Way less than any other helmet mounting location, though, and the view is really nice.

Tested at over 150 indicated on the track, no problems.

I'll get videos up soon maybe? Work :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Hmm, cool, thanks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Signed up for a trackday on the 28th... little different than most trackdays.

Guess they have lights setup.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 18, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Losail!? Just kidding.

I can't remember where I was in Texas, but they had a track day that had rented 80+ light-alls. Always wondered what it would be like, looks awesome... where are you at again?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 18, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Arizona - it's at what used to be Firebird. It's their first time doing this so we'll see how it goes. $160 for a trackday is cheap around here. I'll be doing this on my pre-rashed GSXR750... almost considering running it without the front plastics/cluster/etc.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 18, 2014

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

Hey guys! I do my first trackday next month on July 19th at Putnam Park here in Indiana. Sportbike Track Time is hosting it and of course I will be in the novice group. I have never been on a "big boy" track, only go cart tracks with my supermoto. I was wondering, if I really start to enjoy track riding like I did with motards, I probably won't even want to ride on the streets again. I'm just curious as to when you guys actually decided to buy or convert a bike for track use only. I been searching for a cheap 2003 600rr or something for once I move up to intermediate group.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Incursus posted:

Hey guys! I do my first trackday next month on July 19th at Putnam Park here in Indiana. Sportbike Track Time is hosting it and of course I will be in the novice group. I have never been on a "big boy" track, only go cart tracks with my supermoto. I was wondering, if I really start to enjoy track riding like I did with motards, I probably won't even want to ride on the streets again. I'm just curious as to when you guys actually decided to buy or convert a bike for track use only. I been searching for a cheap 2003 600rr or something for once I move up to intermediate group.

I made the decision to stop tracking my street bike (turn it into a full time track bike) when I moved to Oklahoma and found out this state operates on the grid system.

Before I moved, it was salvaged out and insurance gave me a nice check I put into the suspension. If that didn't happen, I would have sold the bike and bought a fully built track one (suspension/clip ons/rearsets/bodywork) because it is significantly cheaper then building everything from new.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

xaarman posted:

I made the decision to stop tracking my street bike (turn it into a full time track bike) when I moved to Oklahoma and found out this state operates on the grid system.

What do you mean by the grid system?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Oklahoma twisties.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Also Oklahoma twisties.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Posting the 1/16th of the state that borders Arkansas and resembles the Ozarks doesn't make the other 15/16ths magically useful. I'm in Enid, and it's awful. My commute to work a 90 degree right turn, a 90 degree left turn, and a 90 degree right turn, all with stop signs.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

xaarman posted:

Posting the 1/16th of the state that borders Arkansas and resembles the Ozarks doesn't make the other 15/16ths magically useful. I'm in Enid, and it's awful. My commute to work a 90 degree right turn, a 90 degree left turn, and a 90 degree right turn, all with stop signs.

Obviously you need a stretched and lowered Busa then.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Anyone going to Hallett July 5/6 or Heartland Park Topeka July 12/13?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm at a trackday at Wild Horse Pass Raceway in Az. Pretty sweet with it being in the night with lights but not fun learning a new track with the shadows playing tricks and my suspension is being an rear end in a top hat - no suspension guy here unfortunately.

Edit: got the front sorted. Weeeee

edit2: Got the suspension sorted and some lines worked out. Pretty drat cool, I'd go back.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 29, 2014

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Incursus posted:

I'm in Indiana and the only track we have here is Putnam and it sucks.

Incursus posted:

Hey guys! I do my first trackday next month on July 19th at Putnam Park here in Indiana.

FYI, Putnam Park is an extremely fun track.

I'm going to be racing with CCS this weekend at Road America, anyone going to be up there? I know there's a few Wisconsinites in CA, dunno if any of them do any track stuff though.

Edit: I'll probably only be running on Sunday, 7/6. I already ran at RA earlier this month, and I want to get drunk and blow poo poo up on Friday!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Did a motomonday with trackaddix at MAM yesterday. I drove through some absolutely terrible weather on the way to the track... Looked like the day was going to be a total washout. Hit a town just north of the track and miraculously the weather turned! What looked to be a total poo poo day ended up having some of the best track time I've ever had.

Motomondays are an open session trackday where the track goes green and stays green all day (minus a break for the corner workers). If any Trackday orgs do open session days around you GIVE IT A SHOT. it's so nice to be able to hit the track when you want, run as long as you can, and take whatever break you need before you head out again. Love that format.

I ended dropping 3 seconds of my time from the last weekend day I did there and was happy pushing my limits in sections of the track that had been giving me trouble. Here's some footage from the end of the day:

TrackAddix MotoMonday - MAM 6/30/2014: http://youtu.be/moY7Oij_6VI

Still plenty of time to make up but happy with the progression! Super impressed with the Dunlop q3. Can't believe I can run the pace I was on a drat 'street' tire. The rear is nearly done at this point though after only two days. Still offers unbelievable value for the performance the tires have. Time for some race DOTs... :getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At what point is it smart to move to DOTs? I think I'm there but the tire costs are not appealing. I know, cheaper than the alternative but still. Then again, the Superbike Pros aren't too expensive and supposed to last a while.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I moved from Q2's to GP-A's when I was getting pretty consistent slides and moments out of the Q2's and they were becoming more vague feeling at the pace I was running.

GP-A's sorted that out and then I needed to make a few suspension adjustments afterwards for the extra grip and lower lap times.

• Locked thread