Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

NutritiousSnack posted:

I legit want this and I know you all do too.

I'm down, if only to be able to provide more verisimilitude for my fishman-antagonists that I throw in all my Hunter games.

In retrospect actually the planned Fishman/Sleestak conflict in my Hunter game is one of the things I most regret not being able to put in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cabbit posted:

Looking forward to Skeptic: The Disbelief.

One of the best GURPS merits is "Mundanity" from Illuminati University, which basically allows you to force your skepticism on reality. At the lowest level, you simply can' notice or be affected by any sort of supernatural phenomena, up to and including alien invasions or apocalyptic mad science. At the highest level, you can force supernatural things to become mundane, leading to aliens suddenly discovering that they're not aliens at all, but dudes in cheap rubber suits.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Basic Chunnel posted:

gently caress that, we need Thing: The Swampening

What we really need is the other Thing. The kind Kurt Russell tries to kill with a flamethrower.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's fun to think about what the new chronicle might be. All the core chronicles are classic pulp and folklore monsters, then you've got more obscure mythic creatures like Changeling and things more or less nicked from very recent pop culture, like Geist. Even things like possessive spirits and yetis are already covered in reference material. What's left that you can build a successful chronicle from and fits the WoD aesthetic?

I guess the monster is ultimately less relevant than its thematic underpinnings. All WoD stuff is united by a sense of futility and opposition to forces that are impossible to stop. What subversive horror is left to mine, in that sense? The only thing that springs to mind is something environmentally-oriented, but I'm certainly not that creative. Surveillance and projected power is the topic du jour in media right now but I'd say Demon has that well-scouted. Something to do with war?

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 29, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

What we really need is the other Thing. The kind Kurt Russell tries to kill with a flamethrower.

take a base of Promethean, a splash of updated Tzimisce, and some nDemon cues for 'Going Loud'.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's fun to think about what the new chronicle might be. All the core chronicles are classic pulp and folklore monsters, then you've got more obscure mythic creatures like Changeling and things more or less nicked from very recent pop culture, like Geist. Even things like possessive spirits and yetis are already covered in reference material. What's left that you can build a successful chronicle from and fits the WoD aesthetic?

I guess the monster is ultimately less relevant than its thematic underpinnings. All WoD stuff is united by a sense of futility and opposition to forces that are impossible to stop. What subversive horror is left to mine, in that sense? The only thing that springs to mind is something environmentally-oriented, but I'm certainly not that creative. Surveillance and projected power is the topic du jour in media right now but I'd say Demon has that well-scouted. Something to do with war?

All of the current monsters are based on old things-- vampires, mages, werewolves, demons, changelings are all essentially as old as time. Mummies are pretty old, and so are Promethean. People have presumably been hunting that poo poo for about as long as it's been around. It's all old, old old.

So I'm thinking some sort of monster that's extremely modern, something that couldn't have existed until recently. Maybe some sort of mutation-based thing (go full-on with psychic stuff, instead of the half-measures we've got so far with VASCU and Second Sight?), maybe some sort of planetary anti-body resulting from how severely we've hosed up the planet in such a short time. Maybe some sort of emergent-intelligence-from-the-internet-infecting-humans thing, though that may be too oWoD.

Alternatively, go an entirely different direction: you're not human, you never were, you don't aspire to be; aliens. What the gently caress the modus operandi for a game like that would be, I have no clue.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 29, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It seems like, for all the sci-fi trappings that can accumulate in WoD, it's always firmly grounded in some sort of occult framework (magic, planes, spirits, etc). Extraterrestrials seem too, uh, terrestrial in comparison. And if you're going to twist them up til they fit into the occult milieu of the setting then why source them from another planet at all? Just make them beings from another plane or whatever.

I guess the other thing beyond thematic concepts is that all chronicles compel player characters to undertake some grand project beyond simple survival (survive vampire politics, be a spirit cop, rid the world of monstrous influence, become human (/again), [whatever it is that Geists are supposed to accomplish], avoid the attention of the God Machine while sabotaging its plans). What role would a new chronicle foist on players?

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 29, 2014

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

That's why I'm leaning towards the "something new springs up from our hosed-up environment" angle out of all the stuff I listed, because it has the baked-in overarching goal of "unfuck the planet".

Planeteer: The Power (is yours).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What about newer things like shadow people and black-eyed kids?

Internet Stories: the Creeypastaing

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pope Guilty posted:

What about newer things like shadow people and black-eyed kids?

Internet Stories: the Creeypastaing

Slenderman: the Memeing?

Actually on an unironic note the concept of a memetic monster rising from the mass subconscious is super-oWoD and kind of neat.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

moths posted:

The Black Lagoon of Darkness.

On a related note, I've had the groundwork for a Demon campaign based on Black Lagoon batting round my head. Half the cast in that show are blatantly Demons and having the game be a wild, blood fuelled crime spree in a hellhole city rather than taut espionage with people called Mr Book wearing suits and shades would be an interesting departure.

Cabbit posted:

All of the current monsters are based on old things-- vampires, mages, werewolves, demons, changelings are all essentially as old as time. Mummies are pretty old, and so are Promethean. People have presumably been hunting that poo poo for about as long as it's been around. It's all old, old old.

So I'm thinking some sort of monster that's extremely modern, something that couldn't have existed until recently. Maybe some sort of mutation-based thing (go full-on with psychic stuff, instead of the half-measures we've got so far with VASCU and Second Sight?), maybe some sort of planetary anti-body resulting from how severely we've hosed up the planet in such a short time. Maybe some sort of emergent-intelligence-from-the-internet-infecting-humans thing, though that may be too oWoD.

Alternatively, go an entirely different direction: you're not human, you never were, you don't aspire to be; aliens. What the gently caress the modus operandi for a game like that would be, I have no clue.

As terrible as it was, the fanmade Parasite: The Something splat had the seed of a good idea. I'm basically imagining WoD: Double Cross where you play people infected with some kind of horrific Alex Mercer virus/parasite that makes you want to hulk out and go insane while giving you superpowers. Primary antagonists, just like Double Cross, would simultaneously be the Humanity 0 equivalents who the virus has completely taken over and cultists who are on that slide and want to infect as many people as possible to usher in a new era of human evolution.

Lots of body horror, themes of at what point you stop being human (I mean it's just a disease, having flu doesn't make you not a human.... right?) themes of having the monster within, just like vampire - except your own inner urges are very explicitly the antagonist. On that note, like Double Cross, questions of loyalty and betrayal. How can you trust anyone when anyone can turn into the enemy at any time. Plus, the antagonists make a fairly decent argument - maybe we're the traitors, seeing how they're the ones fighting for the survival of their own species.

Makes me think a campaign where the Strix where definitively stated to be the sublimed Beasts of draugr/Golconda'd vampires would be interesting.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Loomer posted:

Slenderman: the Memeing?

Actually on an unironic note the concept of a memetic monster rising from the mass subconscious is super-oWoD and kind of neat.
I was actually browsing through the "Legendary creatures" section of Wikipedia to dredge up material for a campaign and was annoyed to discover that some neckbeards went through and inserted slendermen links to multiple articles on the flimsiest pretense. "This creature has been known to hide, much like slenderman" etc. it's listed as a legendary creature sourced from "worldwide" mythology. Embarrassing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Basic Chunnel posted:

I was actually browsing through the "Legendary creatures" section of Wikipedia to dredge up material for a campaign and was annoyed to discover that some neckbeards went through and inserted slendermen links to multiple articles on the flimsiest pretense. "This creature has been known to hide, much like slenderman" etc. it's listed as a legendary creature sourced from "worldwide" mythology. Embarrassing.

Really? That's terrible, but also hilarious for me since I was in the thread where Slenderman was created. I guess that makes me the source of Australian slenderman myths.

Whoops.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Loomer posted:

Really? That's terrible, but also hilarious for me since I was in the thread where Slenderman was created. I guess that makes me the source of Australian slenderman myths.

Whoops.

I remember some elementary school teacher talking about having students who know about the Slenderman but don't know where it's from, which having followed the thread at the time feels weird. Reminds me of being a kid and knowing who Freddy and Jason were but not really knowing what movies they were in or whatever- actually, come to think of it, that's probably the same phenomenon.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember some elementary school teacher talking about having students who know about the Slenderman but don't know where it's from, which having followed the thread at the time feels weird. Reminds me of being a kid and knowing who Freddy and Jason were but not really knowing what movies they were in or whatever- actually, come to think of it, that's probably the same phenomenon.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with ol' scratch as we turn into old men. Maybe he'll wind up an enduring cultural icon and a genuine piece of folklore rather than the threshold-testing meme he is at the moment.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
I wish more Vertigo books were added into the recommended readings for nWoD games. Reading Sandman and Hellblazer these last couple of months has helped me more than I'm comfortable admitting.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cabbit posted:

maybe some sort of planetary anti-body resulting from how severely we've hosed up the planet in such a short time.

Tree: The Happening

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Baby Broomer posted:

I wish more Vertigo books were added into the recommended readings for nWoD games. Reading Sandman and Hellblazer these last couple of months has helped me more than I'm comfortable admitting.

You should read Preacher, Lucifer and The Unwritten, if you already haven't.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

GoatLord posted:

Tree: The Happening

Speaking of, you should definitely look into the Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing if you want to see where White Wolf borrowed the 'world of darkness' from.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Few remember that the Invisible Man and the Phantom of the Opera are Universal Monsters too. I used to think that a "Freak" fanbook would be cool, but if you want to play such a character you could easily cobble it together from existing Merits (nWoD) or visit the BJ Zanzibar site.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
Funnily enough all those books are on the list, but it helps to know that yes indeed I should read them.

So with the rules in Mummy for playing ghosts as PC's (which, btw, is like the craziest set of hidden gem rules I've ever seen) my group has been wondering what to call a party of ghosts. Right now the two front runners are A Bunch or A Gaggle. I personally feel that Gaggle should be given to all ghoul parties, and that the correct way to differentiate one group of ghosts from another is to figure out which Bunch they belong to.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Just a bunch of ghosts, you know...chillin.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Baby Broomer posted:

Funnily enough all those books are on the list, but it helps to know that yes indeed I should read them.

So with the rules in Mummy for playing ghosts as PC's (which, btw, is like the craziest set of hidden gem rules I've ever seen) my group has been wondering what to call a party of ghosts. Right now the two front runners are A Bunch or A Gaggle. I personally feel that Gaggle should be given to all ghoul parties, and that the correct way to differentiate one group of ghosts from another is to figure out which Bunch they belong to.
A haunting of ghosts, a fright of ghosts, even a revenance of ghosts has a certain ring to it.

Just as long as you don't call them a krewe because holy poo poo, who thought that was a good idea.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

A haunting of ghosts, a fright of ghosts, even a revenance of ghosts has a certain ring to it.

Just as long as you don't call them a krewe because holy poo poo, who thought that was a good idea.

Nah man, a bunch of ghosts just has a really nice anti-thematic ring to it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
A Mystery of Ghosts. :iiam:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Halloween Jack posted:

Few remember that the Invisible Man and the Phantom of the Opera are Universal Monsters too. I used to think that a "Freak" fanbook would be cool, but if you want to play such a character you could easily cobble it together from existing Merits (nWoD) or visit the BJ Zanzibar site.

An 'invisible man' game with extra stapled-on death powers would be a really decent way to revise Geist. Half the horror of being a ghost (almost no one can see you) without the same loss-prevision of being in twilight and having no reason to interact with the physical world.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I figure that "Invisible Men" (and really, you could just expand the theme to cover people transformed into freaks by super-science) would have been transformed and driven mad by contact with Pyros.

An army of Ghosts.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Halloween Jack posted:

Thank you for bringing up BJ Zanzibar, because awhile back I looked for his site and found it wasn't up anymore, but looking again has revealed a mirror archiving the page for the posterity of future generations.

Here is my favorite:

Deathskaters posted:

Can't Skate: (3 point flaw) The skater must also take Sire's Resentment unless said sire also has this flaw.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
No seriously, what the gently caress is that? I haven't laughed this hard at something WoD related since I realized someone got payed to write the cock and oval office line from B&S.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

BJ Zanzibar's site is a long-standing collection of fanworks for the oWoD. So sad to say, bloodspark at aol dot com was not paid for his contribution to the lore of Vampire: the Masquerade, unlike the cock and oval office guy. But we are richer in spirit for having our gravity-defying extreme sports vampires.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Silhouette posted:

You should read Preacher, Lucifer and The Unwritten, if you already haven't.

Sandman Mystery Theater is another series that I mined gleefully for an Etherite character.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013
Hey guys, I was hoping for some feedback on a setting I've created for a God Machine rules Mortals game.

Now since this will almost certainly come up, the setting(a small town in maine) was requested by my group. They wanted Nightvale, but I hate that, so I went with a more stephen king-esque style of story. hosed up town in the American backwoods and so on.

Here's my notes please note that this is from the Skype Chat I had with the prospective players, all of who seem enthused.

One more thing. Yes, the town was founded by a crazy racist. It's not as important to the main story as you think. Let's avoid people complaining about this aspect, because I am not white, and if I need to prove it, I will. But just take my word on it, we'll all be cool.

quote:

So its the Town of Lester's Chore.
Small town in Maine.
Population of 10,000+
Founded by the Eponymous Lester in 1842.
He wanted to build a town "free from the influence of the Negro and the White Man that serves him."
As one could tell, this attitude didnt get him many volunteers.
He persisted.
He was found some years later, tracked down by bounty hunters who had assumed hed just decided to not pay bank debts.
He was lying dead in a field, having written the word "chor" in the dirt with his finger.
He'd managed to build a nice home and a decently done road.
People took the infrasctructure and decided to live in the weird place. Had good farmland.
In the 1930's, a mine was discovered. Silver. Woo hoo! Town got very rich.
In the 1960's, there was great fear of cultural rebellion and any man who didnt cut his hair usually was arrested or beaten. This resulted in one death.\
In the 80's, a movie theatre was built in the town and quickly the youth population realized that the world was out there, and it was awesome. So a mass youth drain.
In 1994, the mine closed. It is now 1996.
Lester's Chore is a strange town with odd beliefs and strange happenings. Local gossip rules the roost. Mansions from the 30's crumble in the woods and an abandoned mine teems with valuable electronic equipment and also stories of death. The police all hide their badges because it is believed that if you have a cops badge on at midnight, you die.
The mayor is loveable and personable, but there are rumors of figurative and literal skeletons in his closet.
What youth remain run wild, confounding adults. Old timers that were old timers in the adult's day wax political, talk about things they
The players will be a group of friends, age restriction 16 - 25. They just dick around and like getting spooked the gently caress out by the weird poo poo in the town, drinking in the Arklay mansion, humping in the abandoned mine, smoking reefer in the Professor(so aptly named)'s massive atrium(like he's there at all anymore)

Also, if you choose to play, I warn you there is a change of splat changing, that means, there is a small chance you might be dragged to arcadia and return, be Embraced by a Vampire, Find yourself taking up the Vigil, Realize you're actually a Demon that has forgotten its true identity or Awakened as a Mage.
I wont hand these things to you.
If you successfully identify the Vampire, you will not get far going LOL UR A VAMPIRE CAN I BE ONE TOO???
He might just feel that you need to die, immediately.
Hunters will be the easiest and most natural to become, Vampires will be loving hard, the Demon option is something that must be discussed with me, Mage Awakening will take a really good social character, and if you become one of the Lost, well, amazing.

I've got around 19 NPCs done so far, but my King is very rusty. Does anyone know any great King-Style characters to include in a story?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Well, you're going to need a magic retard.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Possibly a dog that thinks of associated people in CAPITAL LETTERS.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

You should include an alcoholic author with a crumbling marriage.

And possibly a reference to cowboys knights with guns.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
You'll need a racist everyman willing to hijack a plane to take out The Network.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Don't forget the odd focus on two old people banging.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Go on a coke binge and come up with NPC ideas while doing so. :getin:

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Gilok posted:

Well, you're going to need a magic retard.

Done.

Loomer posted:

Don't forget the odd focus on two old people banging.

Well, I have a few "red herring stories" and one of them would be the characters would learn that "evil hap" is just "player hap".

Error 404 posted:

You'll need a racist everyman willing to hijack a plane to take out The Network.

Gonna steer away from having too many racist/sexist NPCs but thank you anyway.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Possibly a dog that thinks of associated people in CAPITAL LETTERS.

Ha! Ferpect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
M-O-O-N, that spells fighting style merits.

• Locked thread