Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

What the heck then :mad:

I mean maybe its just me, but I still find it hilarious and think a lot of the gags/jokes still work
This being my personal favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHGSXmOMqE

You're actually right about this. Even though video cassettes have been largely replaced, this is still relevant in this age of simultaneous VOD released titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its okay but its no Blazing Saddles.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

That's probably why it hasn't aged well.

Also, that's the only Mel Brooks movie I've actually seen, so I've been kinda lost the last couple pages.

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are masterpieces.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Elwes is great in Men In Tights but on my recent rewatch I was struck by how much the guy who plays the Sheriff of Rottingham steals the movie.

I then IMDB'd him to see if I knew him from anything else and weirdly enough the only other credit of his I know is The Prestige.

Don't forget Richard Lewis as the king (of all people), with the migrating mole.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

achillesforever6 posted:

What the heck then :mad:

I mean maybe its just me, but I still find it hilarious and think a lot of the gags/jokes still work
This being my personal favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHGSXmOMqE

I only think it's OK. It definitely belongs with the funnier stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Waffleman_ posted:

That's probably why it hasn't aged well.

Also, that's the only Mel Brooks movie I've actually seen, so I've been kinda lost the last couple pages.
I was about to post this:

effectual posted:

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are loving masterpieces.

But saw someone beat me to it, I'll throw in the original The Producers and History of the World pt. 1

Assuming you saw Spaceballs relatively recently and liked it, Men in Tights has held up a lot better I think, though I understand why some people are down on it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tender Bender posted:

I remember Wrongfully Accused being a pretty excellent 90's Leslie Nielsen movie (mostly a fugitive parody with some other stuff thrown in), but I don't know if it's held up over time. There was a good gag with the train escape at the beginning where the train comes off the tracks and starts chasing him through the forest, culminating with him thinking he's safe before the train jumps out from behind a tree.

Wrongfully Accused is very uneven because it's Naked Gun writer Pat Proft going at it alone while also directing. A lot of it doesn't work, but it's still really funny and not even close to embarrassing like other Nielsen films.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Young Frankenstein is still a masterpiece, but Blazing Saddles, while still being hilarious…I mean it's hard to justify to people seeing it for the first time that racism is/was funny in general without looking painfully bad in the attempt. You can only justify it with the Richard Pryor angle if the person watching remembers Richard Pryor's type of humor. It's a dicey thing just in general.

I maintain that Spaceballs didn't age well but every single scene with Rick Moranis is still gold.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nah, Blazing Saddles is still funny as gently caress and I don't think I've ever seen someone not "get it".

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nah, Blazing Saddles is still funny as gently caress and I don't think I've ever seen someone not "get it".

A lot of women don't "get it" in my experience. I know my wife refuses to watch past the campfire scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

davidspackage posted:

Richard Rees. It's kind of funny since he's parodizing Alan Rickman, who also completely steals Prince of Thieves.

Over that boy hand!

<dons Pedant Hat> Roger Rees, not Richard.

RH:MIT is best remembered for Cary Elwes's line, "Unlike some Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent".

I'm also surprised that people have forgotten Cary Elwes was in the first Saw movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jedit posted:

I'm also surprised that people have forgotten Cary Elwes was in the first Saw movie.

No one forgot. He's almost as bad as that other guy in the room with him.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Leigh Whannell wasn't bad in The Conjuring. I think if they had any more money when making Saw they would have hired someone, but who knows!?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I know a lot of Brits can't stand it when Americans try and fail to do a British accent but for me one of the few that goes the other way is Cary Elways. His American accents are atrocious. The Australian guy who plays Jason Stackhouse on True Blood is a fuckin master though.

vvvv we all love Princess Bride that's not what people are talking about.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 28, 2014

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Wait people can't stand Elwes? He is pretty drat awesome in the Princess Bride. On the whole that film is fantastic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

It's the main reason I can't stand him.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I watched Home Front. Jason Statham does an American accent.

It goes about as well as you'd expect.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah most of the time I'm actually real happy when Cary Elwes pops up in a movie but he's indefensibly terrible in Saw. But then I think Saw is indefensibly terrible all around. Not since Children of the Corn has a movie so bad spawned such a sturdy franchise.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 28, 2014

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's the same one he tries in The One. It's good to see he's made literally no effort to improve it over the years. That's it Stath, just roll your R's, that'll do the trick.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Young Freud posted:

You're actually right about this. Even though video cassettes have been largely replaced, this is still relevant in this age of simultaneous VOD released titles.

It's the kind of joke that kind of gets funnier yet less funny as time goes on. In the 80s it was still completely preposterous the home video release would be out in the same month let alone simultaneously. Now we have things like VOD.

In a decade it may stop being a joke altogether and just confuse the kids - there might be an art form where a (blockbuster type) movie is filmed and instantly streamed to the public to see, not as an experiment but as a commonplace.

Also Spaceballs will continue to be at least amusing up until Star Wars stops being a pop culture staple and, well.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Jedit posted:

More people have forgotten he was in the seventh Saw- and that there were seven Saws.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Antti posted:

It's the kind of joke that kind of gets funnier yet less funny as time goes on. In the 80s it was still completely preposterous the home video release would be out in the same month let alone simultaneously. Now we have things like VOD.

In a decade it may stop being a joke altogether and just confuse the kids - there might be an art form where a (blockbuster type) movie is filmed and instantly streamed to the public to see, not as an experiment but as a commonplace.

Also Spaceballs will continue to be at least amusing up until Star Wars stops being a pop culture staple and, well.

Whether or not media allowing instant movie release actually exists is completely inconsequential to the joke being funny you idiots.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

ShufflerZero posted:

Hmmmm, aside from the obvious category of "Awesome", I would have to go with either "Evil Priest" or "Action Priest".
However, it does give me the perfect opportunity to post these:

44:Evil Priest or Action Priest?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Wow, that later seasons of Father Ted got dark.

OozieNelson
Dec 20, 2008
The best Leslie Nielsen movie:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wrongo

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

OozieNelson posted:

The best Leslie Nielsen movie:

I don't know about it being the 'best' but drat if it doesn't have some great non sequiturs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnXASxKjwSA&t=99s

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Breakfast All Day posted:

Whether or not media allowing instant movie release actually exists is completely inconsequential to the joke being funny you idiots.

In fact it makes it funnier since it becomes a commentary on how some batshit ideas in sci-fi movies become something mundane within a couple decades.

That and the real gag isn't "lol the movie's on home video already" it's that they literally catch up to themselves in the middle of the movie in a weird and absurdist way.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

"When will now be then?"
"Soon."

That scene is one of the bright spots in Spaceballs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you liked Steve Little in Eastbound and Down, you should check out the Catechism Cataclysm.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Free Drinks posted:

I don't know about it being the 'best' but drat if it doesn't have some great non sequiturs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnXASxKjwSA&t=99s

"Of all the women in all the world, you had to walk into mine."

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Hewlett posted:

"Of all the women in all the world, you had to walk into mine."

I've always been a fan of: "I saw through your lies like Spam in a Ziploc bag."

Recently rewatched the movie, and it's still a lot of fun, though not as great as when I saw it (over and over) 15 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8reoJ35QZ8

Leslie Nielsen was amazing at deadpan delivery.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

kiimo posted:

I know a lot of Brits can't stand it when Americans try and fail to do a British accent but for me one of the few that goes the other way is Cary Elways. His American accents are atrocious. The Australian guy who plays Jason Stackhouse on True Blood is a fuckin master though.

vvvv we all love Princess Bride that's not what people are talking about.

If you're an Australian actor and you want worldwide success as anything other than an Australian caricature, you have to be able to do a serviceable British accent and a serviceable American one. Unless you watch Australian productions (which you'll probably only see if you're an Australian), you probably won't see the actors ever get to do their own accents. Hell, in We Hate Movies' review of The Pallbearer, they mistook Toni Colette for a Brit, probably because they'd only heard her be British and American.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's interesting that some British actors have to change their accents, and others just get to be British all the time. Maybe it's part of their persona, i.e. why you hire them, like Colin Firth, or Hugh Grant. And maybe, with some actors, they just can't do an accent that isn't their own.
Here, witness the glory of Colin Firth doing a texan accent.
As far as I can tell, it isn't too bad, but it just seems wrong seeing Firth doing an accent that isn't his own.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It sounds like he's trying to sound like Matthew Machanauhay. It's not good. It's not particularly bad either.

Benedict Cumberbatch in August Osage County was pretty abysmal too, even though I like him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I know there is the whole thing where Sean Connery plays a Russian general but never tried to change his accent, but has ever tried to do an American accent?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sean Connery has done tons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwD46-38h5o

I mean one.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
The great thing about Connery is his accent is just Connery. It's never the accent of who he's playing, but it's never a wrong accent either.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Party Boat posted:

"When will now be then?"
"Soon."

That scene is one of the bright spots in Spaceballs.
Its the lift his hand up and down looking at the screen that gets me.

Again I know that Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and the Producers are objectively better, but for some reason Spaceballs makes me laugh the hardest, maybe I'm easily amused by random pop culture references and 4th wall/meta humor. I think my favorite scene is either the "Comb the desert", The climatic lightsaber fight and the self destruction bit, Darkhelmet playing with his dolls or the Spaceballs merchandising.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kiimo posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch in August Osage County was pretty abysmal too, even though I like him.

But the casting was extremely inspired. He looks exactly like he could be Chris Cooper's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

kiimo posted:

It sounds like he's trying to sound like Matthew Machanauhay. It's not good. It's not particularly bad either.

I thought Cumberbatch's accent in 12 years a slave sounded a bit odd in comparison with everyone else. Was it on purpose, or was he making a really bad Southern accent?

Here, have a poster:

Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla is a Mexican Independence war hero. I hope he kills people with his bare hands or something.