Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Crowley posted:

Remember how much 3.5" floppies went bad? Yeah me too.
Remember how much 5.25" floppies went bad? Yeah me neither.
Remember how much 8" floppies went had? Just. Didn't. Happen.

The arsenal is safe. :colbert:

Except from spies with a magnet :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in.

This week was my week back at the office. The guy that was supposed to be on the client site didn't show up this morning, which was really weird for him. There was no call in or email mentioning hes sick. Everyone, including his managers, thought he was a no-show. About 45 minutes ago we found out that the account lead sent him to a remote site up north for a week and forgot to tell anyone.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 28, 2014

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I swear, some of the PM's i work with cannot understand simple logic or english.

:eng101: "I need a work order with eight blank servers so I can document these i'm building"
:cheeky: *Provides four*
:eng101: "No, I need four more"
:cheeky: "You already have four."
:eng101: "NO, I NEED FOUR MORE FOR A TOTAL OF EIGHT"
:cheeky: *Provides two extra for a total of six*

:shepicide:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
A ticket was paged out, but I can't acknowledge it or close it (I've already taken care of it) because it appears that the ticketing system is down (or extremely slow). I can authenticate, but then it times out trying to bring anything up. Already mentioned this to my boss, so he doesn't get pissed that he keeps getting paged because I can't acknowledge the ticket.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

"Backup" XP computer update:

- With the first of many zero-day exploits going unpatched for XP, the solution in the science department I work in was not to upgrade those computers (that talk to lab equipment), but to take them off the net.

- While taking one such computer off the net, I discovered that the permissions on that computer, and only that computer, were all hosed up to the extent that the antivirus autoupdate software couldn't load on a normal account, only an admin account, and a new DAT file hadn't been downloaded since August.

- The 2002 WinXP laptops we're 'saving' just in case one of the current xp desktops dies... one of them got left on overnight and the 12 year old hard drive promptly disintegrated.

Good times.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

deimos posted:

Except from spies with a magnet :eng101:

Honestly at this point I think I kind of prefer that stuff like the nuclear arsenal be run off of 8" floppies. No better way to ensure an air gap like machines that physically can't be connected to the internet or have thumbdrives plugged in.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A content filter came in.

And immediately started flagging bittorrent traffic. Some idiot put uTorrent on his work laptop and left about eight torrents active in the office. The filter flagged something like 4500 sessions before I tracked him down.

Needless to say him and I had a little conversation.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

Management wanted to put a camera inside each bathroom, aimed at the door, to track who went, when, and for how long. Legal/HR hit the proverbial roof.

It turns out that this wasn't actually the case; apparently, one day in the ladies' room, someone sat down and noticed the seat was wet. Standing, she - and I quote - "observed that a substance resembling semen was smeared on the seat." Therefore, it suddenly became extremely important to watch the bathroom doors.

(I promptly punned "We should put up a sign that says 'look before you leak.'")

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

sfwarlock posted:

It turns out that this wasn't actually the case; apparently, one day in the ladies' room, someone sat down and noticed the seat was wet. Standing, she - and I quote - "observed that a substance resembling semen was smeared on the seat." Therefore, it suddenly became extremely important to watch the bathroom doors.

(I promptly punned "We should put up a sign that says 'look before you leak.'")

The callcenter I worked at years ago had to install a security card reader lock on the bathroom doors because some dude kept smearing poo poo all around the bathroom. Idiot kept it up after the lock was installed, so his ID showed up the next time it happened, and they finally caught him... only took 4 months. :owned:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

FireSight posted:

The callcenter I worked at years ago had to install a security card reader lock on the bathroom doors because some dude kept smearing poo poo all around the bathroom. Idiot kept it up after the lock was installed, so his ID showed up the next time it happened, and they finally caught him... only took 4 months. :owned:

Did he have a mental disability? I mean a medically-recognized one, not just the "never matured past junior high" condition that every other corporate office worker seems to have.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Did he have a mental disability? I mean a medically-recognized one, not just the "never matured past junior high" condition that every other corporate office worker seems to have.
I realize it's anecdotal but I don't recall anyone at my junior high smearing poo poo on walls. Come to think of it, I don't remember anyone in loving kindergarten doing that.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
it definitely happened at my high school and the best part was the 2 weirdos that did it (yes it was a team effort) got caught and lived as pariahs for the next 3 years

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

This callcenter recruited basically anyone who walked in, and had a turnover rate of about 2 months, INCLUDING 3 week of training for the job. It was a real hellhole because of a lovely contract and a bad manager. I think the guy just hated the job and thought this was a way to get back at the company. Possibly mentally ill, but I don't know.

After 3 years at that place, I ended up with an anxiety disorder that triggered by me talking on the phone. Took me years to get over that.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

FireSight posted:

Callcenter's seem to bring out the dregs of humanity. The things I've seen in my years working at them. There was one I worked at that was a converted Zellers store, it had a total of four washrooms, two for men, two for women, each with a total of three toilets in each for a call center with 600+ employees on shift at any time. Everyone had to share headsets and desks so things like pinkeye, any any cold or flu going around went through employees like wildfire. I only ever used the washrooms on site once and its something I still try and forget.

My time at Dell was more interesting. There were the bathroom masterbators. Two women that I knew about that that were prostituting themselves to some of the employees, including several of the managers. There were a couple of guys that hung out all the time on adult friend finder and would try to arrange meetups with other call center people. The furries. Plus the general unwashed masses. One guy on my team came in every day, summer or winter, smelling like dirt. Not dirty cloths, but actual soil.

Then there were the customers but I dont think there is enough room for me to post all the stories I have.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How are you not a massive alcoholic with PTSD.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I would actually be fine with someone coming in smelling of soil, reminds me of my balcony garden that I sometimes get to see.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I would actually be fine with someone coming in smelling of soil, reminds me of my balcony garden that I sometimes get to see.

My guess was he was running some sort of grow up in his apartment/house though it may have been completely innocent.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

There are certainly worse things you can come to work smelling like.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I was assigned a garden plot at my work but I can't find any victims to share the maintenance :( I don't want to spend time on that poo poo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I was assigned a garden plot at my work but I can't find any victims to share the maintenance :( I don't want to spend time on that poo poo.

Outdoor gardening sucks, I live in a large city and my gf and I grow herbs (legal variety) on our window ledge, we grew all through the winter (obviously lower output) and it was easy as heck! Lots of fresh herbs for our food, and after the initial growth period they require very little maintenance. Basically water every few days, if things start to flower make sure to trim, but try to trim down prior to that, dry the leaves, freeze them, or use them fresh! So much fresh pesto over the past few months, it's amazing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Are you sure it wasn't patchouli? For the longest time I couldn't figure out how people could smell like dirt, then I got to smell Patchouli oil in a controlled environment and suddenly I became aware.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

blackswordca posted:

Callcenter's seem to bring out the dregs of humanity. The things I've seen in my years working at them. There was one I worked at that was a converted Zellers store, it had a total of four washrooms, two for men, two for women, each with a total of three toilets in each for a call center with 600+ employees on shift at any time. Everyone had to share headsets and desks so things like pinkeye, any any cold or flu going around went through employees like wildfire. I only ever used the washrooms on site once and its something I still try and forget.

My time at Dell was more interesting. There were the bathroom masterbators. Two women that I knew about that that were prostituting themselves to some of the employees, including several of the managers. There were a couple of guys that hung out all the time on adult friend finder and would try to arrange meetups with other call center people. The furries. Plus the general unwashed masses. One guy on my team came in every day, summer or winter, smelling like dirt. Not dirty cloths, but actual soil.

Then there were the customers but I dont think there is enough room for me to post all the stories I have.

:aaaaa:

I want to hear more....and yet I also don't.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sirotan posted:

:aaaaa:

I want to hear more....and yet I also don't.

Seriously, this sounds like some kind of sitcom. Would you consider where you are now a step up?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

Woooah did we work at Dell at the same time? The old building in the South Common? I work there now, it's HQ for the Credit Union and it's a completely different building, but that brought back some bad bad memories.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Antioch posted:

Woooah did we work at Dell at the same time? The old building in the South Common? I work there now, it's HQ for the Credit Union and it's a completely different building, but that brought back some bad bad memories.

I was there when they were in the Telus building. I had to leave when they moved south because I was on the midnight shift and my manager wouldn't move me off of it. Last shuttle to Southgate was at 11:30 or something so I would have had to cab it every day.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

FireSight posted:

This callcenter recruited basically anyone who walked in, and had a turnover rate of about 2 months, INCLUDING 3 week of training for the job. It was a real hellhole because of a lovely contract and a bad manager. I think the guy just hated the job and thought this was a way to get back at the company. Possibly mentally ill, but I don't know.

After 3 years at that place, I ended up with an anxiety disorder that triggered by me talking on the phone. Took me years to get over that.

I have had pretty much this same experience. Call centers in general are the worst, most dehumanizing places. I'd rather break rocks in prison than work in one. At least then you're outside.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
A ticket has yet to come in...

We're looking to install either HelpSpot or Kayako Case for our ticketing system. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other on which I should lobby for?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ChubbyThePhat posted:

We're looking to install either HelpSpot or Kayako Case for our ticketing system. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other on which I should lobby for?

Kayako is a really nice ticketing system.

Feedback Agency
Apr 23, 2014

More tales from the drugstore of the completely loving technologically illiterate. A customer came in...

:downs:: "What button do I hit if I want to run it as credit?"
:confused:: "You'd hit the button that says 'use as credit.'"
:downs:: "Well, that doesn't make any sense!"

:psyduck:

I guess most of them are just used to hitting 'cancel' on the credit card reader.

Feedback Agency fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 29, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
I know my call center has some of it's own issues - like people ripping off the cover of a broken urinal and using it (always seems to be night shift) but dang...

Just wondering: anyone ever boot from a SAN using RHEL, a Dell server with Fiber, through a Cisco SAN switch, to an IBM SAN?

If it's sounds like a clusterfuck: it is.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 29, 2014

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

blackswordca posted:

One guy on my team came in every day, summer or winter, smelling like dirt. Not dirty cloths, but actual soil.

his house/apt might have a mold problem...

pretty princess
Jan 3, 2010

-|-
/ \

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Not HelpSpot!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've used Kayako Resolve (I think they renamed it to Case) in the past and it was a pleasant experience from the user standpoint. I haven't had to administer it though.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

FreshFeesh posted:

Luckily the COO thought something like this would happen and budgeted my time/expense into the project estimates, unbeknownst to the co-owner. Tomorrow is going to be a good paycheck.

If you do enough/are good enough at project management you get a 6th sense where you just glance at the 'finalised' spec for a project, and you immediately mentally list off the areas where the customer will change their mind, what the customer/3rd parties will gently caress up, and you will be expected to fix, and which outline bullet points in 'phase 2' will suddenly become urgent phase 1 items overnight.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cynic posted:

If you do enough/are good enough at project management you get a 6th sense where you just glance at the 'finalised' spec for a project, and you immediately mentally list off the areas where the customer will change their mind, what the customer/3rd parties will gently caress up, and you will be expected to fix, and which outline bullet points in 'phase 2' will suddenly become urgent phase 1 items overnight.

You can also achieve this by being a) pedantic and b) having a low opinion of the abilities of others by default. I have said "I told you so" so many times with regards to project fuckups I'm thinking of changing my name plate thing on my desk to it.

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I've used Kayako Resolve (I think they renamed it to Case) in the past and it was a pleasant experience from the user standpoint. I haven't had to administer it though.

Kayako is pretty nice to use from a users perspective. Please just be sure to future proof your installation. At my last help desk gig we had it set to save attachments as binary blobs in a mysql database. The result of this was that any time we opened an attachment the tables would lock and the kayako would be completely unresponsive for everyone for about 3-4 minutes.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

We support a number of Burger Kings in the Central NJ area.

I'm just going to leave this here.

This is a new machine deployed 6 months ago, that stopped working suddenly. Gee, I wonder why?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Billy the Mountain posted:

This is a new machine deployed 6 months ago, that stopped working suddenly. Gee, I wonder why?

Good lard, what the hell is that?!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Good lard, what the hell is that?!

Bad lard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Billy the Mountain posted:

Embrace your inner mechanic.

*Pulls open case. Whistles* "Hoooooooooo boy. Yyyyyyyyyyyup. Y'See, there's your problem right there! Ain't gonna be cheap to fix. No siree bob."

• Locked thread