Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Hekk posted:

I hit my 30s (SCH) over the weekend and have been doing more dungeon roulette stuff. Usually the tank numbers mobs and I hop between tossing a heal or HOT onto him and doing DPS. I got yelled at for pulling trash aggro. I usually cycle through mobs casting BIO and BIO II on them so the DOTs have time to eat away at health.

I told the tank to either start numbering mobs or he could go gently caress himself. He said just assist through him and I realized that I went 32 levels without knowing there was an assist function in FFXIV.

Don't worry, that was a bad tank anyways. Tanks should not focus on a single target in a trash pack pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

When healing 4 mans as a scholar throw all your dots on everything. It's good practice for the tank, and if something ends up on you, who cares, it's all completely trivial anyway.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

seannykun posted:

You could unlock the new hardmodes. They drop the old Darklight stuff and other i70 gear, but the loot pools are so large that it's kind of a pain to get what you want now.

The flipside of this is that if you can handle the brayflox/lost city/halatali HMs, you're going to gain a shitload of myth*. As a healer, Brayflox is definitely my preferred dungeon of the three, but any one of them is pretty great. Just doing the expert daily every day is really nice, too.

* - Like 50 per run? I dunno I spam dungeons pretty hard if I'm not doing content with my guild. I guess that's not a lot to some people. I find expert roulette is really easy, though.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Rei_ posted:

Seriously though I'm working my way through the...sigh...Minfilla-centric post-50 scenario poo poo. I unlocked Ampador Keep, on my way to the Chimera to unlock Bravura, unlocked Labyrinth of the Ancients... There's just...so MUCH poo poo to do and I'm not even sure where to start. Like something tells me I should be grinding out stones of myth to start getting gear from Mor Dhona so I can do AK and finish Bravura, right?

There are a few tiers to endgame 4-man dungeons. The easiest are Amdapor Keep and Wanderer's Palace. The next tier up which is a bit harder but not that bad are Haukke Manor HM, Copperbell HM, and Pharos Sirius. The current difficult (although I use that term lightly) dungeons are Brayflox HM, Halatali HM, and The Lost City of Amdapor (try not to get the two Amdapors mixed up).

You can step into AK and WP in full AF gear without issue, although the items you will get from it will not be that much better than what you are wearing; as you've probably noticed the tomestones are the better reward. You can probably run into Haukke, Copperbell, and Pharos with roughly the same amount of gear and pull it off since the most difficult one (Pharos) has been defanged a bit and a lot of well-geared players run them to make up the difference. That set of 3 drops i60 gear which is a pretty good stepping stone upgrade. Brayflox, Halatali, and Amdapor City will drop i70 stuff and more importantly big chunks of Soldiery tomes for the really good gear, but you probably want to have some better baseline gear than AF before running it.

Labyrinth of the Ancients (or CT, for Crystal Tower) is a little bit different; 24-man, easily 2-3 times as long as a standard dungeon, but it gives to 100 myth and 20 sol for clearing it and 4 chests giving you rolls at i80 gear. Now, because you'll probably solo queue for CT, so will everyone else, and 24 randoms joining for a raid that requires a bit of basic coordination can be a recipe for hilarious disaster. That said there's probably no faster way to gear up.

So, all that said, here is a reasonable path for you to take if you're looking for one:

1. Do a completion of the first 5 dungeons I listed to unlock High-Level Roulette, which you can run to get a big extra chunk of myth once per day. Run Haukke/Copperbell/Pharos occasionally to pick up some i60 gear.

2. Do as many runs of CT as you can stomach and grab as much i80 gear for your character as you can. This stuff will serve you for quite awhile.

2b. Around here you are probably geared enough to start relic quest without issue: Chimera, Hydra, Ifrit HM (drops better weapons), Garuda HM (drops yet better weapons). You're not at an optimal gear level for Titan HM, probably, but a relic weapon is a large upgrade so you may want to just DF it (or ask your FC) and get carried in order to get the benefit of it.

3. Spend the myth you're getting from the previous activities on some Hero accessories or left-side gear pieces you haven't seen from CT.

4. When your iLvl is around i65 average, start running Brayflox, Halatali, Amdapor Township. Complete all three to unlock Expert Roulette which you should fold into your daily Roulette runs. Hold onto your Soldiery for a couple weeks and buy a body piece when you get to 825. Use i70 drops here to supplement what you're collecting from other places.

5. When your iLvl is around i70 average and you haven't yet, you can start looking at completing your relic by running Titan HM. Finishing all the HM primal quests will unlock the Binding Coil for you.

5b. While you can continue the story quests right from where you are, the two new batches we've gotten will culminate in a fight against Good King Moggle Mog and Leviathan respectively and you want to be geared to around this level before attempting them. In addition, go start the Hildibrand quests if you haven't yet (Seriously. Right now. Like, stop reading this post and come back later.) because they will culminate in a (easy) 8-man boss fight. If you've done every HM primal, killing these three should unlock the Trials Roulette for you, another easy source of myth and soldiery.

6. When your iLvl is around i80 average you can start running Extreme Primals and the first set of Binding Coil turns. Kill all 3 primals and you get to pick and choose a free i90 weapon (flag the quest in Mor Dhona first, though!). With this gear level you can probably clear up to turn 4 of Coil in PF parties, which will give you access to a lot of i90 gear to round out your gear sets.

7. Your ultimate goal is to push your iLvl average to i90 and complete turn 5 of Coil. This is going to take you awhile if you're starting on step one, just bear that in mind. Around now you can try Moggle Mog Ex, Leviathan Ex, and the second set of Binding Coil turns if you can find a group for them. Congrats! You are caught up.

Here is a disclaimer: I made educated guesses for the item level averages for all of these steps, and I am probably overestimating the requirements. If you are getting bored running things on one step then by all means try the next step up and see what happens; there are a lot of well-geared players running all stages of content right now who can probably give you a lift up. The item level is more for you to be able to do the content effectively. For instance, you could probably run a hard mode Titan in full AF and the other 7 people would be able to carry you through without issue, but you'd probably end up dead for 90% of the fight doing nothing, which is not how I would have liked to clear something. If you care more about the gear progression to catch up faster, go nuts!

Edit: One other thing. For every big boss fight (think primals) from, say, Garuda HM and up, I would strongly recommend popping onto youtube and checking for a quick guide for that fight; MrHappy tends to put out good ones for all content. If you go into, say, a Titan HM fight completely blind you are absolutely 100% going to be dead by the time it finishes when just having a general sense of the upcoming mechanics of a fight can save your life.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 30, 2014

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I think my advice would be a little different; ilvl70 crafted gear is pretty good, so if you've got a decent bankroll saved up from leveling or don't mind cashing in a bunch of GC seals, you can buy a pretty decent set of gear and skip worrying about finding ilvl55/60/70 gear in dungeons altogether. Also, do the relic quest sooner rather than later; the completed relic zenith is a massive upgrade.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Alakaiser posted:

The flipside of this is that if you can handle the brayflox/lost city/halatali HMs, you're going to gain a shitload of myth*. As a healer, Brayflox is definitely my preferred dungeon of the three, but any one of them is pretty great. Just doing the expert daily every day is really nice, too.

* - Like 50 per run? I dunno I spam dungeons pretty hard if I'm not doing content with my guild. I guess that's not a lot to some people. I find expert roulette is really easy, though.

Yeah plus expert roulette gets you 70 Soldiery to go with the 50 myth. And a decent flox run isn't going to take more than 10 minutes to down both bosses that drop myth if that's all you're going for too.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

The Chairman posted:

I think my advice would be a little different; ilvl70 crafted gear is pretty good, so if you've got a decent bankroll saved up from leveling or don't mind cashing in a bunch of GC seals, you can buy a pretty decent set of gear and skip worrying about finding ilvl55/60/70 gear in dungeons altogether. Also, do the relic quest sooner rather than later; the completed relic zenith is a massive upgrade.

The relic weapon bit is actually a very good point and thinking about it, it's pretty silly for me to recommend stopping right before you finish it to go gear some more. Getting it early saves a lot of time; I adjusted my list a bit to reflect that.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

It can not be stated enough that upgrading your weapon is always the biggest increase in any kind of throughput for your class/job. When in doubt and you can upgrade a weapon, get the weapon upgrade. Always.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Chairman posted:

I think my advice would be a little different; ilvl70 crafted gear is pretty good, so if you've got a decent bankroll saved up from leveling or don't mind cashing in a bunch of GC seals, you can buy a pretty decent set of gear and skip worrying about finding ilvl55/60/70 gear in dungeons altogether.

And even if you can't afford the i70 gear, the i55 gear is pretty decent, and will allow you to skip straight into CT and, with one piece from there, right into a relic train.

Bug one of the many crafters and we'd be glad to help out - especially if you supply the raw materials.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Is CT not a total joke even with DF on most servers? I ran it as soon as I hit 50 (and bought some pvp jewelry for dirt cheap) and it was a breeze - and really fun. Had multiple wins where one or two alliance was at 7 people.

Ginkage
Jun 13, 2003

Intoluene posted:

I play on Goblin but I don't really have many good connections to get a full group together.

Well, you can add me to your friends list at least, maybe we can find some connections. Ginkage Inazuma is my character name.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zo posted:

Is CT not a total joke even with DF on most servers? I ran it as soon as I hit 50 (and bought some pvp jewelry for dirt cheap) and it was a breeze - and really fun. Had multiple wins where one or two alliance was at 7 people.

It's basically a joke, the fights can be completed with a majority of the players dead or incapped. That said, never underestimate the power of stupid people to gently caress poo poo up.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Zo posted:

I think the most wipes I've seen is when a certain party has three melee. Atomos seems to become a nightmare for that particular party every time. The rest of the bosses tend to be painless, except for the bone dragon sometimes if people don't know what to do with the skeletons/keep stealing aggro.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
The only way to fail CT is to have one of the alliances actively trying to gently caress over the other two. These troll groups exist, and are more prevelant as time passes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Celador posted:

The only way to fail CT is to have one of the alliances actively trying to gently caress over the other two. These troll groups exist, and are more prevelant as time passes.

CT is incredibly boring when nothing interesting happens. The best CT groups are the ones where all of them are gunning to get the other group killed while still never failing to one shot a boss.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Jesus Christ I am a failure at level 50. I have three jobs to 50, two of them at ilvl 80 something, and I hadn't even done the new dungeons to know there's an expert roulette. I haven't even done the dungeons I need to unlock high level roulette. Maybe I need to reel in my alt leveling. :smith:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

CT is incredibly boring when nothing interesting happens. The best CT groups are the ones where all of them are gunning to get the other group killed while still never failing to one shot a boss.

This is the right attitude. I hear people griping about CT but oh my god it is so much fun when there are pubbies bickering and dragoons eating every meteor/ancient flare and folks griping about one or two bad eggs (Goons) who are starting vote abandons every time something goes right.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Alakaiser posted:

I think the most wipes I've seen is when a certain party has three melee. Atomos seems to become a nightmare for that particular party every time. The rest of the bosses tend to be painless, except for the bone dragon sometimes if people don't know what to do with the skeletons/keep stealing aggro.

And it is the most amazing thing. Do you know what the solution to 3-melee parties is? The extra tank doesn't go on atomos, but stays on the platform to be the fourth guy. 1 ranged kills adds, 2 melee kill atomos, and the third melee stays on the adds. It is exactly the same in almost all respects as a 2-range 2-melee setup.

But no one ever does it, ever. Why? Well, because if you take the extra tank off Atomos, your Atomos is going to die last. Because it's a race. Because people are idiots.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Meiteron posted:

6. When your iLvl is around i80 average you can start running Extreme Primals and the first set of Binding Coil turns. Kill all 3 primals and you get to pick and choose a free i90 weapon (flag the quest in Mor Dhona first, though!). With this gear level you can probably clear up to turn 4 of Coil in PF parties, which will give you access to a lot of i90 gear to round out your gear sets.

You don't need to worry about any quest flagging your first time through the extreme primals, since simply unlocking and beating each of them is tied to a quest, and finishing all those "beat extreme primals for the first time" quests gets you the tokens for your first weapon.

For weekly repeats after that, if you want to get more tokens for a second (or third, or ninth) i90 weapon, then yes, remember to flag the weekly quest first. (You don't have to complete it within the span of a week if you don't like. Whenever you do complete it, however, you have to wait until the next Tuesday's reset to flag it again.)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

Yeah join the Linkshell Lyrina mentioned but I have a group of 5 in my Ultros FC and would love to have more. We're not serious or hardcore, just want to be cool bros and eventually afford a house.
(I'm Bacon Deluxe.)

I can't find the post, but I am on Ultros. What is the goon Linkshell or Free Company or Guild or whatever the gently caress I need to join so I can have internet friends? I'm currently in FC (420) because someone advertised it and I happened to be smoking a bowl at the time.

Bonus PS4 question: Can I play using my controller AND have a keyboard hooked up for when I need to chat with people? Or is it one or the other?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vil posted:

For weekly repeats after that, if you want to get more tokens for a second (or third, or ninth) i90 weapon, then yes, remember to flag the weekly quest first. (You don't have to complete it within the span of a week if you don't like. Whenever you do complete it, however, you have to wait until the next Tuesday's reset to flag it again.)

Yeah, I totally forgot about that this week and did Ifrit EX without the weekly quest. Oh well. :v:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Lost City of Amdapour is the new best dungeon in the game. It feels like something out of Dark Souls--moody, atmospheric, alien and full of good challenges. It doesn't have an overabundance of trash like Brayflox HM and it's got almost entirely new assets. Plus those ghost things at the end are freaky.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Meldonox posted:

This is the right attitude. I hear people griping about CT but oh my god it is so much fun when there are pubbies bickering and dragoons eating every meteor/ancient flare and folks griping about one or two bad eggs (Goons) who are starting vote abandons every time something goes right.

I have been informed by a GM on my second trip to GM jail that using "Ready Check" 37 times in 49 seconds constitutes 'harassment'.

And "gently caress YOU, YOU loving SHITFUCK" is not appropriate language to be used, nor is "SHUT UP, YOU INCOMPETENT FUCKASS."

The safest thing for my account is to not go to CT any more.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Deviant posted:

I have been informed by a GM on my second trip to GM jail that using "Ready Check" 37 times in 49 seconds constitutes 'harassment'.

And "gently caress YOU, YOU loving SHITFUCK" is not appropriate language to be used, nor is "SHUT UP, YOU INCOMPETENT FUCKASS."

Or you could try not being an rear end in a top hat. :)

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Lost City of Amdapour is the new best dungeon in the game. It feels like something out of Dark Souls--moody, atmospheric, alien and full of good challenges. It doesn't have an overabundance of trash like Brayflox HM and it's got almost entirely new assets. Plus those ghost things at the end are freaky.

I love it when I do an expert roulette and Lost City of Amdapor comes up (90% of my expert roulettes keep going to Brayflox). Like you said, it's a cool dungeon and the music is great. I used to be able to listen to the music on youtube when I'm doing work, but it keeps getting taken off within a few hours, unfortunately.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

RCarr posted:

Bonus PS4 question: Can I play using my controller AND have a keyboard hooked up for when I need to chat with people? Or is it one or the other?

Yes, you can. I do. You can even have a keyboard hooked up to the PS4 and play using Remote Play, and the keyboard will work along with the Vita.

The chat log is still incredibly tiny, but at least it's readable in the final launch.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Rei_ posted:

So I'm at lLevel 50. Is Ampador Keep okay to roulette for? The gear that is i55 so it seems like a good place to run for upgrades until I can afford better stuff. Like will Demons Wall be a problem if one person is right at the cap?

Are you on Excalibur, I can't remember if you've said. If so, you can friend request Alisse Sel'demar and I'll be glad to help you get setup. The least I can do to pay for my old disappearing ways.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Deviant posted:

What is wrong with you?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

FutureCop posted:

I love it when I do an expert roulette and Lost City of Amdapor comes up (90% of my expert roulettes keep going to Brayflox). Like you said, it's a cool dungeon and the music is great. I used to be able to listen to the music on youtube when I'm doing work, but it keeps getting taken off within a few hours, unfortunately.

That's interesting because 90% of my expert roulettes are Lost City of Amdapor. I think my favorite thing about it is the really calm music.

Deviant posted:

You sound exactly like the kind of rear end in a top hat no one wants to be grouped up with.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Ya, Amdapor Cities music is nice. I also really like the tune that plays at the beginning of Pharos Sirius; too bad its only a minute long though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I still reckon that the best music in the game is Haukke Manor's Hard version.

It sounds so much like a classic 16-bit Final Fantasy track, but modernized.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I dunno if I'd say "best" (that's easily locked up by Battle on Big Bridge Reborn for me), but yeah, HMHM's music owns.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I'm going to wind up buying this dumb soundtrack aren't I

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think Coil has the best background music.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I think Coil has the best background music.

Despite the fact that I invariably turn it off after wiping to Rafflesia Melusine The Avatar for a couple hours, I still hold that the Coil boss music is some of the best in the game. You definitely know you are in a serious, high-intensity fight when that poo poo starts playing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dominic White posted:

I still reckon that the best music in the game is Haukke Manor's Hard version.

It sounds so much like a classic 16-bit Final Fantasy track, but modernized.

That track is good, but I don't like how they seem to have reused it in like 4 hard mode dungeons.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Deviant posted:

Jesus loving Christ, you gigantic sperglord

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rei_ posted:

I'm going to wind up buying this dumb soundtrack aren't I

I have it and I love it. Just remember it's on Blu Ray so you need a PS3 or a player. If you have a PS3 and your PC online, you can connect and download MP3 versions. The only downsides are no Answers or Steel Resolve (the Empire boss theme). You needs to get the 1.0 ost for those.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Deviant posted:

The safest thing for your account is to be under someone else's ownership.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Deviant posted:

How do you even live with that attitude? Please just gently caress off and never return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KaneTW posted:

How do you even live with that attitude? Please just gently caress off and never return.

No, but you don't understand, if I don't constantly denigrate those "worse" than me, I can't feel good about myself! :(

• Locked thread