Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FirstPersonShitter posted:

dear guys I want to be the hexing man but how should I build for that, I know it scales off your lower value out of int/faith, but is there anything else crucial barring attunement? Which is the best catalyst for the job also?

Follow this guide from a goon: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615786&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=609#post427864357

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
They censored way too aggressively. You can't have the word "Knight" in your name because it contains the letters "nig."

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

FirstPersonShitter posted:

dear guys I want to be the hexing man but how should I build for that, I know it scales off your lower value out of int/faith, but is there anything else crucial barring attunement? Which is the best catalyst for the job also?

Pump Int/Fai/Att only, get good at dodging in my opinion. The best staff is a Dark Sunset Staff, and the best chime is (I think) a Dark Chime of Want. You're pretty safe to use the Archdrake Staff/Chime for a majority of the game, and getting both Int and Faith to 20 early on is a good idea since it allows you to get the Hexer's Hood from Felkin.

The various Soul Arrows, Dark Orb and Resonant Soul will carry you through a lot of the early game.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

STRONGMEN UNITE.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I have a mace +9 and two slabs and am doing a Strength build. Should I: a) take it to +10; and b) infuse it at McDuff's (and if so, what element)? I'm worried that split resistances and the decreased scaling are going to result in it being worse if I infuse it.

Dunno if you know this but in DS2 you don't lose levels by infusing.

So you could infuse it at +9 right now. Then it would remain +9. If you wanted to, because the decreased scaling was too bad, you could immediately switch it back to a vanilla +9.

All you'd lose are some infusion items.

So try it out, hit something with it, check if the numbers went up or down, and then you'll know!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Umberger posted:

Look under the stairs. :ssh:

Great Heavy Soul Arrow, Great Lightning Spear and Great/Resonant Soul are all great. I found Pyromancy to be pretty underwhelming for the most part; Flame Swathe is pretty good on some bosses. Forbidden Sun is okay but you don't get it until very late in the game and it takes something like 4 attunement slots for very few casts.

Thanks. As a mage I just wasn't sure if I should try to use all four at once but it sounds like its not an issue.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Dunno if you know this but in DS2 you don't lose levels by infusing.

No, I know this. I also know that infusing reduces the scaling on weapons, and part of what's made the mace good so far is it scales really well to my strength. I basically don't really want to lose a bunch of infusion stones, and I also don't really want to take the basic mace to +10 if there's a weapon that's like it but just has flat out better stats (like the spear/winged spear, for example).

So I guess the question is: should I max a club instead of the mace, and what, if anything, should I infuse my weapon with if I'm a Str build with no magic (I've got the fire longsword at +9 for fire damage, too).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sunbroing at the Skeleton Lords is pretty frustrating.

The host always wants to go through the valley, which is narrow and hard to fight in with multiple people. Then when they get to the skeleton lord, they kill all 3 big skeletons first even though they aren't that dangerous. This of course summons two dozen skeletons which rip them to shreds while I'm trying to fend off the swarm myself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ Try putting your sign down right in front of the boss door instead of the bonfire, so you don't have to worry about hosts that don't have the shortcut. Also spoiler that poo poo dude.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, I know this. I also know that infusing reduces the scaling on weapons, and part of what's made the mace good so far is it scales really well to my strength. I basically don't really want to lose a bunch of infusion stones, and I also don't really want to take the basic mace to +10 if there's a weapon that's like it but just has flat out better stats (like the spear/winged spear, for example).

So I guess the question is: should I max a club instead of the mace, and what, if anything, should I infuse my weapon with if I'm a Str build with no magic (I've got the fire longsword at +9 for fire damage, too).

Don't worry so much about conserving infusion stones and the mace is a really great weapon.

Somebody else can probably give you more specific weapon advise though, I mostly used swords :downs:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Kanos posted:

The Defender Greatsword's 2H L2 is a free sunlight blade.

It is, I had thought it was a flat lightning damage increase, not the percentage and damage like sunlight blade? I wanted to infuse it with lightning, activate its ability and place sunlight blade on it in hopes I could collect the giant souls easily with the huge amount of damage it dishes out.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Zaphod42 posted:

No doubt people are going to try to recreate that effect, but there's only so much you can do in post-processing.

Those screenshots look like total rear end.

Still, torches are pretty drat useless right now, other than in the gutter. Maybe somebody'll come up with something better than just turning the brightness way down and washing out all the colors.

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/7/

I think this one is quite decent, at least the GeDoSaTo low DoF version is after I fiddled with the settings a bit and toned the effects down slightly. Looks better in motion than in screenshots, though.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Infusion stones aren't really something you'll have to conserve so feel free to experiment. I haven't used the mace but if its anything like the club stat/scaling wise it's better vanilla.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I think I'll go for a Str/Faith build for New Game - Any tips on how much Faith, and which spells to reduce requirements for? Any oustanding chimes?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Azuth0667 posted:

It is, I had thought it was a flat lightning damage increase, not the percentage and damage like sunlight blade? I wanted to infuse it with lightning, activate its ability and place sunlight blade on it in hopes I could collect the giant souls easily with the huge amount of damage it dishes out.

Seems to be basically the same as Sunlight Blade damage-wise at +5 Lightning, with the caveat that Sunlight Blade lasts a bit longer than the Defender's self-buff.

Stacking them would be totally absurd and make it basically the strongest weapon in the game, easily surpassing pre-nerf MLGS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

verybad posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/7/

I think this one is quite decent, at least the GeDoSaTo low DoF version is after I fiddled with the settings a bit and toned the effects down slightly. Looks better in motion than in screenshots, though.

Yeah that's not perfect but its infinitely more tasteful than the one posted before. It does make some of the hallways look like the older build, which is really cool, but it makes Heide's look pretty bad. :shrug: Hard to make a filter that works well everywhere.

I may actually have to try that one out...

I'm paranoid about VAC bans though :smith:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Sivek posted:

One thing I'd like to see is that once you reach a certain amount of high soul memory, the percentage restrictions stop. It's not like there's much of a difference between someone with 1.5 mil SM and another at 2.5 mil SM. I just wanna kill and be killed man, but looks like I'm going to have to start the final leg of the main game now....or start a new game. :darksouls:

There is such a thing. Everyone above 12,000,000 soul memory is matched together with no other restrictions.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Trying to beat invaders who can attack people behind them is not good for my blood pressure :(

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How do I use my Dualshock 3 Wireless PS3 Controller with this?

I also have a USB A to Mini USB cable which I plugged into my controller and PC USB hub. I tried Better DS3 but it's not recognizing my controller and I wasn't sure if the USB A to Mini USB cable is just charging my controller or if it's actually allowing my pc to read from it.

e: I just checked my devices and the controller is showing up there so my pc is recognizing it. Not sure why it's not showing up in Better DS3.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 30, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

-Blackadder- posted:

How do I use my Dualshock 3 Wireless PS3 Controller with this?

I also have a USB A to Mini USB cable. I tried Better DS3 but it's not recognizing my controller and I wasn't sure if the USB A to Mini USB cable is just charging my controller or if it's actually allowing my pc to read from it.

If you wanna use Better DS3 tool, you'll need MotioninJoy installed first so you can install drivers through that. That said, don't use MotioninJoy. It's crap and could potentially be a security vulnerability.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Use this instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

^^^ Try putting your sign down right in front of the boss door instead of the bonfire, so you don't have to worry about hosts that don't have the shortcut. Also spoiler that poo poo dude.

Don't worry so much about conserving infusion stones and the mace is a really great weapon.

Somebody else can probably give you more specific weapon advise though, I mostly used swords :downs:

As far as infusions go, my lightning morningstar is cleaning up house even better than my fire longsword was. The bleed effect isn't that noticeable though. What does that value actually mean? It has a bleed effect of 67 or so right now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Internet Kraken posted:

The "trick" it pulls when it gets to low health is a real dick move though.

What does he do? It took me three tries but I kinda beat the hell out of him once I realized his patterns.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
For those worried about chunks and slabs spending: don't. There is a vendor that after beating the final boss (but not going to ng+) who will sell infinite small/large/chunks. And slabs are farmable without using an ascetic.

There is a fantastic farming for souls and items if you wish to try different builds: the fourth bonfire beyond the king door in forest of Giants controls the three giant memories you can enter. In one is a wooden chest at the entrance with 5 silky stones and a petrified something, another has a soul vessel on a corpse as well as 4 or 5 souls of the hero, and the memory with the giant Lord boss fight (who is easy with ranged) has an ascetic and a fire seed, so you can max out both pyromancy flames, if you wish.

Also, mundane builds are quite fun, just need to find a good supply of spice for some of the spells...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

What does he do? It took me three tries but I kinda beat the hell out of him once I realized his patterns.

He stands still at pukes green ooze which then quickly spreads outwards. I didn't get hit by it so I have no clue what it actually does but I assume it's toxic.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

ChaosArgate posted:

If you wanna use Better DS3 tool, you'll need MotioninJoy installed first so you can install drivers through that. That said, don't use MotioninJoy. It's crap and could potentially be a security vulnerability.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Use this instead.

Thanks! Looks like it worked.

On an unrelated note, I could have sworn the sprint button was X in Dark Souls(PS3), am I just misremembering and the sprint button has always been O?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Liquid Penguins posted:

They censored way too aggressively. You can't have the word "Knight" in your name because it contains the letters "nig."

Last night I adventured with a charming fellow named Robin**od.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

-Blackadder- posted:

Thanks! Looks like it worked.

On an unrelated note, I could have sworn the sprint button was X in Dark Souls(PS3), am I just misremembering and the sprint button has always been O?

You are.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Zaphod42 posted:

Why? That's how you should play. In 2 it works even better because you can instantly teleport anywhere.

Push one direction, get stuck? Well, lets try a different route, I"ll come back for these guys in a short bit, just you wait...

And its one of those fights where either he kills you in 2 hits or you kill him in like 40 seconds. There's a reason there's a bonfire right outside and you don't have to run anywhere. Most people have to try it a few times to get it.

Sif had a giant sword! He was way harder. As long as you kill his buddies rat is much easier than Sif.

You can teleport in DS2?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yes.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I think I'll go for a Str/Faith build for New Game - Any tips on how much Faith, and which spells to reduce requirements for? Any oustanding chimes?

I went for 50 FTH and the Defender Greatsword and :aaaaa: holy poo poo I'm not even using Sunlight Spear and Im rocking poo poo left and right.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You get bonfire-to-bonfire warps from the get-go instead of waiting halfway through the game, yeah. And it works for every single goddamn (regular) bonfire in the game, not just a selected list. (There are a few special bonfires that work differently and basically serve as one-way warps back to the main hub.)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I went for 50 FTH and the Defender Greatsword and :aaaaa: holy poo poo I'm not even using Sunlight Spear and Im rocking poo poo left and right.

Better be lightning infused

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008
People paranoid about VAC should keep in mind that it's probable VAC has been in all along, right from the start, and the store page was just in error, if you've used GeDeSaTo or other things you might be worried about at all you've already been flagged, assuming they actually ban for it [probably quite unlikely], VAC bans are delayed so you wouldn't know right away, after all, and if you've been flagged already, suddenly not using the thing won't make any difference, so if you've used it before there's no point in stopping now.

I've been using GeDeSaTo, even if DS2 didn't have VAC at first, I did play it since the patch with the tool on before I noticed VAC was on the store page list now, so if they do give out bans for it I'll be hit no matter what, might as well enjoy the improved eye candy.

I'm inclined to think they won't ban for it though, since programs that do similar things have been used for VAC enabled games before with no bans that were unwarranted.

I hear that A lot of the people who claimed to have been banned for using stuff like sweetFX turned out to have actually been using actual cheats alongside sweetFX and only tried to lie to get out of their bans, if this does result in massive amounts of false positive bans they will probably be reversed, since Durante's tool has a high profile as far as mods go, being covered by PCGamer and all, lots of folks probably use it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

QuantumButler posted:

People paranoid about VAC should keep in mind that it's probable VAC has been in all along, right from the start, and the store page was just in error

It wasn't. The VAC modules were not loaded.

Also, Valve has hit people for using graphics mods before and not reversed it, though that was long ago admittedly.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 30, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
+10 Claymore Dark, with only base STR/DEX for it, owns bones. Hitting for about 500 average in PVP and took off a third of the RRA boss' health bar in one smack. :stare:

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

It wasn't. The VAC modules were not loaded.

Ah well, okay then, I didn't know.

Still, if you played with the tool since the patch, not realizing, that would be enough to flag you, assuming it was banworthy, no?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

QuantumButler posted:

Ah well, okay then, I didn't know.

Still, if you played with the tool since the patch, not realizing, that would be enough to flag you, assuming it was banworthy, no?

Supposedly. No one really knows except Valve themselves.

So, you may as well test the waters. I'm taking a risk myself by using x360ce, even though a Valve mod did claim it won't trip it.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

QuantumButler posted:

People paranoid about VAC should keep in mind that it's probable VAC has been in all along, right from the start, and the store page was just in error, if you've used GeDeSaTo or other things you might be worried about at all you've already been flagged, assuming they actually ban for it [probably quite unlikely], VAC bans are delayed so you wouldn't know right away, after all, and if you've been flagged already, suddenly not using the thing won't make any difference, so if you've used it before there's no point in stopping now.

I've been using GeDeSaTo, even if DS2 didn't have VAC at first, I did play it since the patch with the tool on before I noticed VAC was on the store page list now, so if they do give out bans for it I'll be hit no matter what, might as well enjoy the improved eye candy.

I'm inclined to think they won't ban for it though, since programs that do similar things have been used for VAC enabled games before with no bans that were unwarranted.

I hear that A lot of the people who claimed to have been banned for using stuff like sweetFX turned out to have actually been using actual cheats alongside sweetFX and only tried to lie to get out of their bans, if this does result in massive amounts of false positive bans they will probably be reversed, since Durante's tool has a high profile as far as mods go, being covered by PCGamer and all, lots of folks probably use it.

I used Cheatengine to get infinite bonfire escetics to try play with all bonfires max upgraded on level 1. Sadly you have to beat the boss once to use it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If you did that before the patch, you're fine. If you did it after, and you didn't kill your internet connection, smart money says you had better play a lot now before VAC comes for you.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im getting my rear end kicked by the king with four giant souls and that makes me an idiot and i hate myself, that is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Supposedly. No one really knows except Valve themselves.

So, you may as well test the waters. I'm taking a risk myself by using x360ce, even though a Valve mod did claim it won't trip it.

Well, I can't stand to go back to the vanilla graphics either way, and I'd rather take the what I think is a small risk, many folks have used sweetfx and other stuff similar to what Durante's tool does with VAC enabled games safely for years, and the only confirmed bans I've heard of were for using other actual cheats or mods that modified game code alongside the programs, possibly such things including texture mods, which are graphical mods, but could be used to cheat by making enemies say, neon pink, or walls transparent, etc.

Anyway, I'll let you all know if I get hit by VAC for Dark Souls 2, I don't mind serving as a canary.

Worst comes to worst, i'll get my DS2 MP fix on consoles and use the PC version for pretty gameplay.