Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Angry Grimace posted:

Alleged shots of FTV: Annihilation.

It looks legit, but who knows. People fake stuff all the time like fake Duck Faygo.

No Damnation. :negative:

Haha, Rolling Earthquake? Seriously? I guess I'm buying this then! Providing it's real because I find it funny they'd reprint anything with Horsemanship referenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
^^^ They've reprinted creatures with actual Horsemanship so I'm not sure why it's a surprise.

Angry Grimace posted:

It looks legit, but who knows. People fake stuff all the time like fake Duck Faygo.

Including the two P3K cards makes it fairly legit, though there are some questionable choices (Living Death has been reprinted a few times recently and the new art doesn't look like an improvement).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hell ya I needed some cataclysms for my death and taxes decks.

JerryLee posted:

The point, as Nehru the Damaja illustrated, was that they actually still have a gilded-age-robber-baron negative effect on the guy at the end who just wants to buy some Magic singles, they just see a hilariously small portion of that inflation themselves, so basically they're not just destructive, they're destructive and (in retrospect) dumb.

e: the post just above me also reiterated this point while I was typing

I will never stop laughing at the comparisons of MTGOX (both bitcoin and magic online exchanging) to robber barons who think themselves as captains of industry. :hi5:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

Why'd you edit out your dismay over no Damnation?

Including the two P3K cards makes it fairly legit, though there are some questionable choices (Living Death has been reprinted a few times recently and the new art doesn't look like an improvement).

Accident after I decided to just directly link the photos instead. I can't believe they missed the opportunity to put Erebos on a Damnation reprint after they randomly stuck Heliod on a Wrath reprint.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mercury Crusader posted:

Haha, Rolling Earthquake? Seriously? I guess I'm buying this then! Providing it's real because I find it funny they'd reprint anything with Horsemanship referenced.

They reprinted Sun Quan in FtV:Legends. Basically, FtV and judge promos are the only places they can reprint Horsemanship.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

JerryLee posted:

^^^ They've reprinted creatures with actual Horsemanship so I'm not sure why it's a surprise.

It is to me! :psyduck:

LordSaturn posted:

They reprinted Sun Quan in FtV:Legends. Basically, FtV and judge promos are the only places they can reprint Horsemanship.

Well then they should just bring it back. I liked Horsemanship and other weird evasion abilities like Shadow.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

mcmagic posted:

If you guys are watching a game during a local tourney, do you point it out if you see someone, for instance, play a card they don't have the mana for and no one else notices? I did this last night and felt like a shitheel...

I point out errors. Last week at a Standard tourney at my LGS a guy played the Temple of Triumph first turn. Second turn the opponent played Pack Rat, and the WR player played a Plains and then dropped Chain to the Rocks on the Rat. I waited until the opponent drew a card before I spoke up that he misplayed since no Mountains on the field. When I pointed it out the WR player swept and said he couldn't win without that Chain at this point. Not sure if it was intentional or a mistake, but I am happy I brought it up.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

You say that, but the next set is in Fantasy Mongolia (I think) and they do like bringing back old mechanics...

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

No Damnation. :negative:

It's fake.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LordSaturn posted:

Noooo?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

At Regular REL, the rules actually allow you to ask players to pause a game while you call a judge. Mostly you'll be fine if you just mention it aloud, though. "Hey dude, that isn't a mountain."

EDIT: Okay, I guess Commander too. Basically it can't ever go into Standard, because it has zero advantages over flying from a game design perspective.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MTGO is back up.

I missed Lorwyn/Morningtide

How's Shadowmoor/Eventide to draft?

Angry Grimace posted:

Isn't Horsemanship just flying with nothing else to it?
It's kind of Flying with it's own set of Cans and Can'ts.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

forbidden lesbian posted:

You say that, but the next set is in Fantasy Mongolia (I think) and they do like bringing back old mechanics...

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
The tone of the article itself is less whiney, but if someone in this thread posted "My Spec Quadrupled But I Only Made $.75 Each" then they'd be roundly criticized for being a whiner.

You failed to reap fat stacks trying to quick-flip a card that people only want 1 of and sold your lot in bulk. We're not surprised. Finding a buyer is the hardest part of selling a thing.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

It's a $30+ card because it's hilarious in EDH, so it's not the worst inclusion.

But seriously, why does every single person who get these early leaks only have a mid 2000's camera phone on them?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

Horsemanship is flying if there were barely any cards in the history of Magic printed to interact with flying. The horsemanship Thieving Magpie is nuts in Cube and stuff.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

It has similar rules to flying (creatures with Horsemanship can only be blocked by other creatures with Horsemanship) but with a couple of minor differences. Namely, there's no Reach equivalent ability that can stop Horsemanship, and both Flying and Horsemanship creatures can't block one another.

Rolling Earthquake is great because it somehow kills flying creatures. I like to imagine it turns all flying creatures into Whippoorwills. And somehow riding on a horse makes you immune to the earthquake.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 30, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BXCX posted:

It's a $30+ card because it's hilarious in EDH, so it's not the worst inclusion.

Wait.

WHAT?

I need to go find mine now.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Rolling Earthquake is great because it somehow kills flying creatures. I like to imagine it turns all flying creatures into Whippoorwills. And somehow riding on a horse makes you immune to the earthquake.

It throws rocks into the air that hit the birds but a horse and rider are smarter than a bird* so they can dodge all the rocks.

*you actually need the mystical bond between the horse and the rider to buff your intelligence to this level, which is why neither an equine by itself or a human by itself are immune.

Hire me, Wizards creative.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Samael posted:

It's fake.

I see people dismissing these based on the font but I don't see it. A lot of people seem to be saying that its the matrix bold font for lower case letters but I haven't seen someone post an actual comparison just dismissals.

The fact that three of the cards (Smokestack, Armageddon, and Cataclysm) all have new art that hasn't been revealed yet makes me believe that this isn't fake unless someone refutes that with something besides "Font!!!!".

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

How's Shadowmoor/Eventide to draft?

To my understanding: draft monocolor erryday.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Wait.

WHAT?

It's only four bucks on average.

It's fantastic for ruining everyone else's game plan in Commander though, I will give it that.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

JerryLee posted:

The point, as Nehru the Damaja illustrated, was that they actually still have a gilded-age-robber-baron negative effect on the guy at the end who just wants to buy some Magic singles, they just see a hilariously small portion of that inflation themselves, so basically they're not just destructive, they're destructive and (in retrospect) dumb.

Speculators can't simultaneously be Robber Barons who price the little guy out of the game and total morons who don't actually ever make money.

Their impact is tiny, the few times we've seen speculation be the main driver of prices like say, Nivmagus Elemental, the price spike has been hilariously short lived, to the point that no one was in anyway "priced" out of buying the card for more than a few days.

Ghave is more expensive right now for the exact same reason Underground Sea is retailing for 300. Because more people want it now than they did before.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ramos posted:

It's fantastic for ruining everyone else's game plan in Commander though, I will give it that.

It's also a 4 of in Legacy Miracles.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Toshimo posted:

My closet is sadly empty of MMA boxes, but it may contain 20 playsets of SDCC walkers waiting for just 1 more spike.

You....are just a terrible person aren't you. I want one of those sets :smith:

I'm curious how you got so many? I'm assuming you scooped them up from all the assholes who bought them out for no other reason than to immediately resell them, thereby preventing everyone who actually, you know, just WANTS this thing for their collection from buying any.

Singles speculation's debatable to an extent, but the SDCC thing really pissed me off....mostly because I went in 2012 and WOTC didn't do poo poo for MTG, they were too busy masturbating to Kaijudo, and then BAM, the next year I don't go and they have something amazing at their booth. I would have been one of thirteen people buying them who actually just wanted it and wasn't drooling over free money.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Someone type what's in the pictures and spare my crappy eyesight please.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Stinky Pit posted:

Speculators can't simultaneously be Robber Barons who price the little guy out of the game and total morons who don't actually ever make money.

Their impact is tiny, the few times we've seen speculation be the main driver of prices like say, Nivmagus Elemental, the price spike has been hilariously short lived, to the point that no one was in anyway "priced" out of buying the card for more than a few days.

Ghave is more expensive right now for the exact same reason Underground Sea is retailing for 300. Because more people want it now than they did before.

Isn't Imperial Seal $800 because of speculation?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Snacksmaniac posted:

Armageddon (new art)
Upheaval
Firespout (new art)
Child of Alara
Virtue's Ruin
Rolling Earthquake
Wrath of God (new art)
Smokestack ( new art)
Burning of Xinye
Cataclysm (new art)
Living death (new art)
Decree of Annihilation (new art)
Fracturing gust
Terminus
Martial Coup

There is speculation that its fake because of the font or something. And the fact that you can't see the new card frame in anything other than Wrath (despite the fact that if you went to the effort of putting brand new art on the fake cards, it wouldn't be very difficult to put the new card frame on.)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

^ Man that's a lovely list of bad/common wraths and P3K cards that reprints won't affect the original's price of. Missed opportunity to inject some Wastelands and/or Rishidan Ports, IMO

Stinky Pit posted:

They actually can. Witness, like that commenter, the Gold Rush. Tons of people thought they had the inside line and bet big on moving to San Francisco to stake a claim, but none of them actually made any money.

Speculators who have just enough money to get in the game but not enough to actually move any real dials are completely capable of hoovering up enough cards to make things go from bulk rare to 'card you have to think about adding to your cart' without ever actually increasing demand enough to make actual barons (like SZO, SCG and CK) raise their buylist prices.

It's the MtG equivalent of "bitcoinsGhave's are going up uP UP!"

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 30, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

Firespout, Martial Coup, Upheaval, Wrath of God, Virtue's Ruin, Rolling Earthquake, Armageddon, Decree of Annihilation, Fracturing Gust, Terminus, Child of Alara, Living Death, Cataclysm, Burning of Xinye, Smokestack.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
So what is the best zombie token?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Count Bleck posted:

Wait.

WHAT?

Ramos posted:

I should have specified that it's the foil that goes for that much. Foil Entreat the Angels is also up around there, but that's probably more due to the Shadowy Angel Cabal.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Isn't Imperial Seal $800 because of speculation?

Imperial Seal is 800 dollars because its an incredibly rare card that has a powerful effect. While we don't know the exact print run for P3K but we do know it was the smallest print run from the Portal line, a product already with a small print run compared to typical sets its very likely that its print run is far closer to the 50 Million for ABU Combined than it is for say, Odyssey. Its not surprising Imperial Seal is so expensive.

Tharizdun posted:

Speculators who have just enough money to get in the game but not enough to actually move any real dials are completely capable of hoovering up enough cards to make things go from bulk rare to 'card you have to think about adding to your cart' without ever actually increasing demand enough to make actual barons (like SZO, SCG and CK) raise their buylist prices.

And those times this happens, like Nivmagus Elemental, or say Amulet of Vigor, the effect is so brief as to not really inconvenience anyone for more than a couple of days.

Tharizdun posted:

It's the MtG equivalent of "bitcoinsGhave's are going up uP UP!"

Ghave is a very popular card from a product with a notoriously small print run, and interest in the game has grown significantly since its release.

Its stupid to look at that and go "yeah, loving speculators, if it wasn't for them Ghave would still be a few dollars"

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 30, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BXCX posted:

I should have specified that it's the foil that goes for that much. Foil Entreat the Angels is also up around there, but that's probably more due to the Shadowy Angel Cabal.

That's probably also due to Entreat being the kill card of choice for Legacy Miracles.

And the Shadowy Angel Cabal.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Bugsy posted:

Crying baby face: http://magiccards.info/extra/token/born-of-the-gods/zombie.html though technically this one is an enchantment creature. For "regular" zombie, this monstrosity from Shards of Alara: http://magiccards.info/extra/token/shards-of-alara/zombie.html

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's probably also due to Entreat being the kill card of choice for Legacy Miracles.

And the Shadowy Angel Cabal.

I'd entreat you to enlighten us about your SAC (Shadowy Angel Cabal).

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Is the wonder weapon really ours when he only posts to drum up clickthroughs to his new articles?

Zoness posted:

I'd entreat you to enlighten us about your SAC.

Phrasing. Boom.

rabidsquid posted:

One of the thing driving the price up on Imperial Seals are that they are naturally preyed upon by sharks and killer whales.

Their babies also love to go out dancing while on MDMA. It's impossible to prevent.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 30, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

One of the thing driving the price up on Imperial Seals are that they are naturally preyed upon by sharks and killer whales.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bugsy posted:

Alara meat dog centaur zombie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
One of my friends in our playgroup absolutely hate tuck effects in EDH. He has different colored sleeves for his commander and I've resorted to giving him one that matches his deck when I play cards like Condemn, Termninus or Banishing Stroke.

He absolutely hates it. :getin:

• Locked thread