Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Took my car to the dealer for my service appointment.

Got turned away. :confused:

When I set up the appointment, I had asked them to let me know if the parts wouldn't be available, so that I wouldn't have to drive across town.

So when I got there... not only are the parts at least a month out, but they also had zero record whatsoever of my appointment. :argh:

Worst part is it was really obvious that the service writer had been dealing with exactly this... all day. Poor guy was so frazzled that he was having trouble even completing sentences. I was a bit upset, but I knew he had nothing to do with it. When I left, he said "thank you for not shooting the messenger, everybody else has been doing that today". :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Springtime fluid changes!

I've gotten to the point I don't bother with mileage based changes anymore. Everything just gets changed at the beginning of the season on the toy vehicles. Still have to do the antifreeze on the ITR (and maybe fix a seeping power steering fluid return line) and then I move on to the 250c. It has braking problems. Hard pull left on brake application. Should be fun. Oh yeah, it has some rotten power steering lines too.

Oh, and since I've basically never posted it, there is my new daily driver on the left. 2014 VW Sportwagen TDI.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
You still have the itr? I haven't seen you post about it in awhile so I figured it had either been stolen or sold.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I got door-dinged. Fuckers. I guess I am going to need to take pictures of everyones' car and plates that dares to park near me.

:smith:

Oh, I warshed it good, too, but it still needs to be quick-detailed in a couple of spots, so no other pics. :v:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 29, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Replaced the factory spark plugs on the E46 tonight. BMW says they're a 100k mile interval, but my gas mileage has been slightly below average lately so I've been doing the easy maintenance items that are coming up due. Could very well be placebo but the motor feels much happier and crisp now. And got to love how easy it is to do plugs on inline engines.

After 80k miles they were mighty toasty:

West SAAB Story posted:

I got door-dinged. Fuckers. I guess I am going to need to take pictures of everyones' car and plates that dares to park near me.

You know I often think the same thing, especially after picking up a few door dings and bumper gouges (loving plate screws, I assume), but I doubt you could prove anything with a photo like that. Or am I wrong?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 29, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

You still have the itr? I haven't seen you post about it in awhile so I figured it had either been stolen or sold.

This is how I've kept it so long. Never mention I have it, never let it see the light of day.

Actually it's pretty cool I can drive it now and it doesn't attract attention like it did. The Honda ricer days have thoroughly died and the kids moved on to Subarus and 240 doriftu. I'll be driving it the next 6 weeks or so in fact as I have about 8000 miles on the JSW TDI, put about 500 miles every three weeks on it doing the DD thing, need to take it on a road trip that'll rack up 1,800 miles and the oil change is due at 10,000 miles. So if I keep driving the JSW TDI the next six weeks I'll have to do the oil change nearly 1000 miles early or 800 miles late.

Oh yeah, I was chatting with a friend of mine and mentioning spring vehicle maintenance, so he sent me this picture and said he was doing the same but also changing the spark plugs in his vehicle.

Count them.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 29, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

Oh yeah, I was chatting with a friend of mine and mentioning spring vehicle maintenance, so he sent me this picture and said he was doing the same but also changing the spark plugs in his vehicle.

Count them.

Triple V8 power boat? :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What the gently caress has 24 plugs? Or did he think there was only 1 per box for 6 total?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Mercedes CL600 has a v12 with dual spark (of course!), because Mercedes.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Not some weird Bosch Triple-Unobtanium plug?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

trouser chili posted:

Christ that would be a tedious job.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I said goodbye to the E30. Got $1100, so I'm pretty happy. Dude that bought it said that he might just cut off the front end forward of the shock towers and tube frame it, so who knows, it could live another day. The only things that really needed to be replaced were the front right fender rail and the core support, but I just didn't have the time or ability to weld on a new fender rail or core support with any degree of skill.

:(

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Got this made yesterday for the ZHP and now its on its way to me.

:swoon:

:awesome:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Chinatown: who did that and how much did it cost?

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

Very nice... Just picked up some Koni Sports for my ride, couldn't justify the added expense for the GCs since I don't plan on lowering the car at the moment.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

CountOfNowhere posted:

Chinatown: who did that and how much did it cost?

http://cobywheel.com/

$200 + a refundable $200 core deposit when I return my worn out wheel.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

driguy posted:

Very nice... Just picked up some Koni Sports for my ride, couldn't justify the added expense for the GCs since I don't plan on lowering the car at the moment.

I've got an E30... it's got Camaro KYBs going in the back and KYB MR2 rear shocks going in the front. :) We'll see how it does here shortly, wish I didn't have to work tonight because now I'll be doing this poo poo at 2am in the dark.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

Because maintaining a V12 anything isn't expensive or complicated enough on its own

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Crack open some man trannies errday

red highlights are the only two bolts that were still holding the transmission to the engine. Sorta. Crack (visible to the right) continues under the red line.

Lucky I still have my feet, now time to put the stupid thing back together.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Guinness posted:

Christ that would be a tedious job.

You're telling me! I think I'd get about 1/3rd the way through and forget what I was doing and where I was.

Different topic, anyone got a good (non expensive) source for OEM Acura parts? I think I'm gonna go ahead and change the plugs/wires on the ITR. Only got 70,000 miles on it, but they're original to the car in 1998. The dealers around here are ridiculous for prices.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 30, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Had to go GRABBIN PEELS, so took my bucket of change with me and gave the black beast a nice wash and poo poo clearcoat cover (for the wheels). I'm not sure what the hell happened but the last rain really has wreaked hell with the paint. It looks all spotty like it was covered in really hard water. I don't really have the willpower or ability to buff the whole drat thing out by hand, so it looks like this for the unknown future.

The other car which was partially rained on before I got it covered looks perfectly fine after its' wash yesterday. What the hell?

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Took the day off and replaced the control arms on my 850R yesterday. Ran into less hassle than I expected as the ball joints fell out without even needing a blunt object. Feels a lot better as the ball joint on the passenger side was torn to poo poo and clunking around.

Next up; oil cooler lines, bigger sway bars and maybe a "new" subframe to replace the bent to poo poo one I currently have. On that note, anyone know how much of an impact a subframe bent at the front center would have on handling? A previous owner mashed the the subframe with a jack pretty nicely. I was thinking of grabbing a junkyard one for $50-100, cleaning it up, putting new, solid subframe bushing/mounts in and installing the new sway bar while on the subframe beforehand.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Got the exploded 1zz out of the Corolla and the new one mounted in the car today. Tomorrow is wiring/plumbing. Hopefully I can start driving a 4 cylinder again by this weekend and sell the Grand Cherokee. It's a 20 year old, 318 powered, gas-drinking deathtrap.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I installed my warranty replacement shock from Koni. The previous one was leaking oil from the adjuster.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Guinness posted:

You know I often think the same thing, especially after picking up a few door dings and bumper gouges (loving plate screws, I assume), but I doubt you could prove anything with a photo like that. Or am I wrong?

Depends on how long you're in a place. Seems like if you're somewhere for an hour or two, especially if you're near the front of the lot, it's quite likely that the person you were parked next to is not only going to leave, but that someone else may park (and also leave) before you get back. And unless they hit you hard enough to do a paint transfer, trying to definitively say who caused what ding is going to be hard.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Depends on how long you're in a place. Seems like if you're somewhere for an hour or two, especially if you're near the front of the lot, it's quite likely that the person you were parked next to is not only going to leave, but that someone else may park (and also leave) before you get back. And unless they hit you hard enough to do a paint transfer, trying to definitively say who caused what ding is going to be hard.

The solution here is to put rock crawler style armor on your doors so that your car doesn't take damage, but the inconsiderate jerks that hit yours will get chipped every time.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Did some cutting, sanding, and swearing trying to fit the nice projectors into the housings and played with the shrouds. I need to extend them on one side because the S2k projectors are monsters and I've got a surprisingly tiny amount of room to work with. Can't decide what colour I should paint them after a built an extension on the side, would have been nice to leave them as is, but that's not possible. Maybe a gunmetal-ish colour, black or white might look tacky in these headlights.

Bonus shot of the Altima, and a terribly messy storage shed garage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

EightBit posted:

The solution here is to put rock crawler style armor on your doors so that your car doesn't take damage, but the inconsiderate jerks that hit yours will get chipped every time.

A friend of mine from NAXJA had someone get lovely with him and intentionally try to door-ding his lifted XJ with 1/4" box tube rocker replacements.

Like, she swung her door into his jeep as hard as she could.

... it scuffed the paint on the rock rail and dented the motherfuck out of her door. Whoops! :haw:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I found one of those rubber plugs from the drum brake adjuster on the ground when I parked in front of my house, so I checked the pickup (my other vehicle which was already parked there), and both rears were missing. No real problem, I will get replacements.

Except the rear drivers side had some sort of fresh stain coming out of it. What kind of hell am I in where I check the brakes out last week, they look good, and now one of the cylinders decides to fail? Better at home than in the woods I suppose, and I have the parts in the garage ready to install anyway, I just hate bleeding brakes!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Unless it was diff fluid and you need an axle seal. That's possible too.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Swapped in an entire rear end with a better ratio (2.56 vs 2.92) with an lsd. Also made it fit in the garage.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

trouser chili posted:

Different topic, anyone got a good (non expensive) source for OEM Acura parts? I think I'm gonna go ahead and change the plugs/wires on the ITR. Only got 70,000 miles on it, but they're original to the car in 1998. The dealers around here are ridiculous for prices.

OEMAcuraparts.com

Talk to Tim there. Parts are about 26% off list, and he usually has a shipping promo too.

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...mber=980795615h

Looks like the #1 plug wire is NLA for some reason, so you have to buy the set.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Unless it was diff fluid and you need an axle seal. That's possible too.

Oh hell no. That would mean both axles had a seal break within two months. I'd better go smell it.

edit: I did check the levels this morning in the master cylinder and both sides are low. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 2, 2014

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fitted new shoes!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What size are they, and if you don't mind me asking, what did they run? I'm curious after the conversation I saw about it :)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

GTi_guy posted:

OEMAcuraparts.com

Talk to Tim there. Parts are about 26% off list, and he usually has a shipping promo too.

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...mber=980795615h

Looks like the #1 plug wire is NLA for some reason, so you have to buy the set.

Thank you. I'm gonna use this for the wires, but $15 a spark plug seems ridiculous.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Krakkles posted:

What size are they, and if you don't mind me asking, what did they run? I'm curious after the conversation I saw about it :)

285/75R16- cost me AU$349 a corner fitted. I've only driven them home from the tyre shop so far but they handle well on slippery wet tar, don't squirm around too badly on corner and are pretty drat quiet for a mud terrain. Can't comment on their off-road cos as soon as I got the truck home it got stuck in the shed and wound up with the transfer on the work bench. After my little effort playing submarine commander It developed a leak between in the void between the transfer and gearbox and I couldn't work out whether it was the output shaft on the gearbox or the input on the transfer that was leaking so I bought a full kit for both boxes and figured that if I was going to rip the transfer off I wasn't going to put it back on with old seals...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Put oil compatible UV dye in only one of the possibly-leaky gearboxes. Wait a few days. Break out the UV lamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.
Washed and waxed today for the first time since buying my 2011 Forte Koup two weeks ago. I finished painting my new broken K badges and want it to be nice and clean when I put them on. Duplicolor Metalcast is fun.