Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tube strikes in London mean it's loving amateur hour on my commute. Not sure what annoys me the most - car drivers who think that if they can see the front of the mile-long jam they're in it'll make it shorter so they pull out and block the filter lane, cyclists who think their freebie high-vis vest obviates the need to look behind them before changing lines, or weekend bikers paddling their midlife crisis money sinks 20 yards then stopping because the gap is less than six feet wide.

Oh wait it's the last ones because they manage to combine all the sins of the others, also then take up all the loving space in the car park at work.

I saw the tube strike in the news. I go to London for work and the traffic is a mess when everything is running. That has to suck.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Amazing

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I'm at the point where I can't summon the energy to get riled up about it. I just tend to sigh with resignation and try to be as polite as possible. The fundamental issue is that NZ has an unbelievably lovely driving record for a first-world country. This is mostly down to our lack of mandatory insurance, laughable licensing system and no driver training whatsoever being required to get a license. The nature of our political system means that instituting any sort of long-term, multi-administration fundamental change to the licensing/driver training system is completely impossible.

For this reason it's basically just lumped on the police to lower the road toll. The police have no realistic way to discourage people from driving like morons, so instead "speed kills" has become an issue of national hysteria; statistics and facts are ignored in favour of mindless harping. The police get blamed when the road toll is bad, the police blame speeding, ergo issuing more tickets is a way of showing that they're combating the problem. This is especially unfortunate because it gets lumped into the same category as drunk-driving (also at epidemic levels), which sucks because it makes it seem like driving drunk is a behavioural issue and not a massive cultural problem. It also means that the police bundle them both into the same safety policy; namely, pulling more people over at random to breath-test them, then finding things to issue tickets for when they turn out to be sober.

Ironically, the police here actually have a huge amount of independent oversight and all their actions are very closely scrutinised and dissected by the government and public. I honestly think the NZ police system is one of the best in the world. But no one wants to criticize their powers over motorists because that would be seen as being against the road safety agenda, which is about as suicidal politically as an American politician saying they're an atheist.

That is amazing. NZ is an awesome place if you aren't interested in riding bikes or making money. It's basically the world's biggest retirement home.

I have a lovely Chinese camera permanently pointed at my speedo, with enough visibility to show where I am at any given time.

Contour Roam2's on Woot. http://www.woot.com/offers/contourr...8856209#tracked

I almost got one but if I'm gonna buy a camera I want an external mic jack at least.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Tanbo posted:

Contour Roam2's on Woot. http://www.woot.com/offers/contourr...8856209#tracked

I almost got one but if I'm gonna buy a camera I want an external mic jack at least.

Note, that's only $15 less than Amazon, and like twisto posted in another thread yesterday, they deal really poorly with wind noise and can only be configured via the (lousy) computer software

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:master:

That should be his new avatar

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Note, that's only $15 less than Amazon, and like twisto posted in another thread yesterday, they deal really poorly with wind noise and can only be configured via the (lousy) computer software

A bit of foam glued over the mic cuts the wind noise out almost entirely under 30mph and still keeps it manageable up to 60ish, and you can configure them by editing the file on them (but once you've found settings that suit you you never have to touch it again)

Gonna fire up gifcam to get some illustrations of why tube strikes suck, courtesy of my Roam2, in a second.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Got too bored to do any more so just have a couple from the last five minutes of my commute:

Dude was less than six inches from the bumper of that car and maybe a foot from the scooter with those stupid hard cases, then got himself stuck at the next red light because he doesn't know poo poo about how to filter.

The hand gesture is pointing out that bright loving blue dedicated, segregated bike lane (sorry, Cycle Superhighway) exactly 3 yards to his right, instead he was motoring along the pavement and if I'd have been a car he'd have been strawberry jam.

And finally...

This stupid bitch was right in my parking spot.

:3:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Harley riders blip the throttle because they're being annoying douchebags. I blip the throttle because "Holy poo poo my idle has dropped too low and I'm kickstart-only gently caress FUCKFUCKFUCK come on Enfield keep it together come on, COME ON don't do this to me now."

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Does no blip the throttle because its fun? I do.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Got too bored to do any more so just have a couple from the last five minutes of my commute:

Dude was less than six inches from the bumper of that car and maybe a foot from the scooter with those stupid hard cases, then got himself stuck at the next red light because he doesn't know poo poo about how to filter.

The hand gesture is pointing out that bright loving blue dedicated, segregated bike lane (sorry, Cycle Superhighway) exactly 3 yards to his right, instead he was motoring along the pavement and if I'd have been a car he'd have been strawberry jam.

If you guys all bicycled like Boris, these would all be non-issues

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coredump posted:

Does no blip the throttle because its fun? I do.

I do it because my ear plugs work really well and I can't tell if my bike is running sometimes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chichevache posted:

I do it because my ear plugs work really well and I can't tell if my bike is running sometimes.

Get a thumper and you won't ever have that problem again :v:

(I blip the throttle because the big-rear end piston makes it feel like the bike is jumping a bit and because it makes the exhaust pop)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I blip the throttle because I'm on a loving motorcycle dammit and if you can't blip the throttle at a light every once in a while what good is living?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
It's one thing to blip the throttle. It's another thing entirely to blip the throttle when you have a 110+dB freedom hawg exhaust.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mother of god! I don't know how well that would scale down to AV size though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And finally...

This stupid bitch was right in my parking spot.

:3:

Post moments from today's commute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILnKm_9_fM

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tightsqueeze.mpg right there

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I maaaay have also just picked up something that starts with a GSX and ends with a 1100G.

Help me.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ozmiander posted:

I maaaay have also just picked up something that starts with a GSX and ends with a 1100G.

Help me.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat son where'd ya find this?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

hot sauce posted:

drat son where'd ya find this?

Craigslist. I traded him a '05 Polaris Sportsman 400 for it, straight up. I got the Sportsman dirt cheap too.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Mother of god! I don't know how well that would scale down to AV size though.

Motorcycles?!!? In MY middle earth??!!1

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At the risk of being a dumbass: how do you get an AV bigger than 125x125? I want to make the larger one mine so as to reward your sterling efforts but it won't let me upload an image that large.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slavvy posted:

At the risk of being a dumbass: how do you get an AV bigger than 125x125? I want to make the larger one mine so as to reward your sterling efforts but it won't let me upload an image that large.

:doh: I always make that mistake.

Z3n posted:

Post moments from today's commute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILnKm_9_fM

Have you ever gotten stuck

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

:doh: I always make that mistake.

Have you ever gotten stuck

In case of emergency, I could have pulled a few more inches by counterleaning the bike. That one was pretty close though. I haven't misjudged a gap lately, most SF drivers are pretty decent at giving you room when it gets close.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Can I get this on a t shirt with "FREE SLAVVY" underneath?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're my hero M42.

Z3n posted:

In case of emergency, I could have pulled a few more inches by counterleaning the bike. That one was pretty close though. I haven't misjudged a gap lately, most SF drivers are pretty decent at giving you room when it gets close.

I've misjudged a gap once when my car just fit through between a van and a box truck. And then the box truck turned out to have a ratchet tie-down on the side. It was...an awkward moment.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Nice. Glad to see my :10bux: is still rolling :wink:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Incidentally that is actually the face I make when I'm riding something extremely slow and/or decrepit and entering 'full lean'. So the whole montage makes a perverted kind of sense.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I just wanted to share some select quotes from a dinner with some in laws the other day. During the meal one of them mentioned they heard I rode a motorcycle, so I started explaining the subtleties of what a dual sport is, when the mom interrupted me by asking someone else if so and so still rode. Another person chimed in with "No, he quit when he became a father, blah blah blah because it's selfish to ride when you have kids, what kind of person would do that, I just don't understand" and so on and so forth.
The whole exchange was extraordinarily rude, as the implication was that one, I had nothing to live for and that's the only reason I rode a bike, and two, that riding a motorcycle is a guaranteed death sentence. I'm honestly shocked at the restraint from using the phrase donorcycle.

I calmly rebutted and tried to explain that when you filter out those who refuse to wear gear, or are under the influence, or have no safety training/license, or buy too much bike for their skill level, motorcycles are actually relatively safe. But they blew me off and changed the topic entirely.

I shouldn't be shocked, they are all ER doctors and germaphobes on top of that (which is hilarious in a whole other level).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mrs. Slidebite and I want to take a few friends of ours out to the range to expose them to handguns and cool rifles over the summer, just for a cool way to kill an afternoon. I just found out the wife doesn't want to go because she doesn't want to risk leaving their child as an orphan.

:ohdear:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 1, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

Mrs. Slidebite and I want to take a few friends of ours out to the range to expose them to handguns and cool rifles over the summer, just for a cool way to kill an afternoon in the summer. I just found out the wife doesn't want to go because she doesn't want to risk leaving their child as an orphan.

I did have a moment where I was really angry at myself for accidentally discharging a handgun into the ceiling while checking out the new hardware at my buddy's office. lovely trigger discipline for sure. That dart could have mildly annoyed someone!

That thought process is so alien to me...do you think that guns just have a 10% chance of just killing their owner or something?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How does that thought process actually work? Do they think guns work by lighting kerosene with a match or something? Ditto for bikes, people seem to think it's like getting risky open heart surgery every time you start the loving thing up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm pretty optimistic I can help her see it's not a suicide mission, but it's the fallout of her upbringing.

They're both extremely intelligent and educated, amongst the highest of most intelligent people I have met, but brought up as and they themselves are very far left leaning people. Holding a handgun is simply a foreign concept. Coincidentally, and more related to this forum, getting her on the back of my bike a few years ago was something in itself. But once she was there she loved it and didn't want to go home.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

slidebite posted:

I'm pretty optimistic I can help her see it's not a suicide mission, but it's the fallout of her upbringing.

They're both extremely intelligent and educated, amongst the highest of most intelligent people I have met, but brought up as and they themselves are very far left leaning people. Holding a handgun is simply a foreign concept. Coincidentally, and more related to this forum, getting her on the back of my bike a few years ago was something in itself. But once she was there she loved it and didn't want to go home.

That's pretty much how most people are, once they try guns/cars/bikes. It's just getting them over the irrational, media-panic-fueled fear that's the hard part.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

slidebite posted:

Mrs. Slidebite and I want to take a few friends of ours out to the range to expose them to handguns and cool rifles over the summer, just for a cool way to kill an afternoon. I just found out the wife doesn't want to go because she doesn't want to risk leaving their child as an orphan.

The range could be hit by an asteroid :ohdear:

When you guys go out to dinner or something does she make you take separate cars? How far does this brutal oppression of the law of averages reach?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

She does not know who her children are, because, statistically, they are most likely to be murdered by a family member.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god. A coworker just asked if I'd be interested in taking an old GT750 out of his family member's garage.

I AM GOING TO OWN ALL THE BIKES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:stare:

The GT750 is awesome. You are the biggest idiot if you say no to that.