Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZerodotJander posted:

Remember, Peter Brett wrote The Warded Man on his Treo phone on the subway on the way to his investment banker job.

Suddenly a lot of it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Srice posted:

Suddenly a lot of it makes sense.

I get it. He's The Bored-ed Man!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

systran posted:

The biggest female character is a half demon, and half of her dialogue is just hissing.

Murcaddo is the biggest female character in the series (whole book focused on her) and she is none of those. And Ferro, who you are describing, isn't evil.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cardiovorax posted:

Those count as awful by virtue of terrible Stross prose, plus Bob turns into a super special mega awesome pseudo soul eater after like book two or so.

I like Stross prose and Bob gets benched (literally) at the end of the book where he starts to use those powers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fried Chicken posted:

I like Stross prose and Bob gets benched (literally) at the end of the book where he starts to use those powers.
"Oh poo poo, I wrote myself into a corner and have to kill off my main character of 3+ books" is not something that counts in Stross' favour. :colbert:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Fried Chicken posted:

First law series by joe Abercrombie

I'll check this out.

Fried Chicken posted:

Dresden files by Jim butcher (though recent books now hint Harry is a special snowflake rather tan bumbling goon)
Laundry series by Charles Stross (bob isn't a very good secret agent, he is just backed by a competent government agency)
I've read these and the early books of both are Ok, before the Main character turns too special, also Charles Stross seems to have some issues with female middle managers.

Fried Chicken posted:

"Might I recommend 'A Song of Ice and Fire' by George RR Martin"?

I got lucky with WoT but I'm not touching this until either the series or the author is finished.

Hel fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 30, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Malazan might count, simply by dint of the baseline competence level being raised so ludicrously high, though good luck figuring out who the main female character is. Or the male protagonist, for that matter.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hahahaha holy poo poo I just got a three book offer from Tor for The Traitor Baru Cormorant and whatever I do next. I'm stratospheric. I never thought this would happen so fast.

This is a pretty obnoxious self-aggrandizing post but I'm excited :toot:

As for fantasy with modestly competent characters and well-handled women, as ever, I suggest books by women! Deathless by Catherynne Valente is a brutal fairy tale, The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner is a novel about intrigue and swordplay set in a decadent society, people really adore The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by NK Jemisin (though the protagonist is fairly central and 'special', as I recall), and I'm probably forgetting a zillion more.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Grats dude, that is awesome (I have been following your rise to glory)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

VagueRant posted:

I gotta be honest, the Mormon talk is un-selling me on Brandon Sanderson.

It's not really a big deal. He's not Orson Scott Card by any stretch of the imagination.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

systran posted:

Grats dude, that is awesome (I have been following your rise to glory)

So have I. Congrats, General Battuta!

By the way, I'm taking your advice to read more short stories, and picked up Peter Watts Beyond the Rift. Yes, I know, even after I didn't like Blindsight—perhaps because I didn't like Blindsight. He's a good enough writer and has all the same scientific interests that I do that I absolutely had to give his work another chance. What's funny is, the first short story The Things, was incredibly fascinating, and I loved the POV and the way it was written, and yet I loving HATED it. But it's more like some hate-crush that makes me want to keep coming back to it, and rebut his ideas with my own fiction. I think I'm going to save his work for days when I don't feel up to writing, because so many of his ideas are similar to ones I've been writing for years and yet I do the complete opposite with them. I need to polish them off and get them out there so I can enter the conversation. His work ignites the fire under my rear end out of sheer petulance. Also, I'd love to have a beer with him sometime.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

General Battuta the other day a friend of mine said to me 'I really like stories by [General Battuta]' (I paraphrase) and I said to myself 'isn't that the guy who posts on SA' and I checked and lo it was.

You have already achieved the heights of fame, only immortality remains.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo I just got a three book offer from Tor for The Traitor Baru Cormorant and whatever I do next. I'm stratospheric. I never thought this would happen so fast.

Heck, that's the sort of thing that you should make that sort of post for. Grats!

I assume it's way too early in the process to have an idea of a timeline, right?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Malazan might count, simply by dint of the baseline competence level being raised so ludicrously high, though good luck figuring out who the main female character is. Or the male protagonist, for that matter.

Male protagonist is Fiddler. Female, arguably, is Tavore.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo, super congrats, I loved the short. I will buy the gently caress out of the books and I will buy them for presents for friends and family.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Thanks everybody :3:

Srice posted:

Heck, that's the sort of thing that you should make that sort of post for. Grats!

I assume it's way too early in the process to have an idea of a timeline, right?

Fall 2015's the target. Publishing moves with great deliberation.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

Those count as awful by virtue of terrible Stross prose, plus Bob turns into a super special mega awesome pseudo soul eater after like book two or so.

You are not wrong. I made it through one of these before throwing in the towel. I love things Lovecraft and Stross nailed it with Colder War, but man are these books unreadable. The attempts at drollery in the book are cringe-worthy, as are the nerd references packed in. After reading the first Laundry book and Iron Sunrise (which I didn't find as embarrassing to read but was just very banal; oh and I began to read Glasshouse before giving up at an orgy involving a unicorn) I concluded Colder War was some kind of freak occurrence and I shouldn't bother with anything more from Stross.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

General Battuta posted:

Hell yeah! I love your short stories so I'm super excited to read all 37 novels you will write during your long and accomplished writing career.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

Hel posted:

Can anyone recommend a fantasy(any type) book / series(preferably finished) where the main character isn't super awesome at their job stuff and where the biggest female character doesn't turn out to be/or turn evil?

I think Robin Hobb might be the author for you. Multiple finished series, main character usually not super competant, female characters not evil.

Also some of my favorite books, although doesn't seem to be the majority opinion around here :v:

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

General Battuta posted:

As for fantasy with modestly competent characters and well-handled women, as ever, I suggest books by women! Deathless by Catherynne Valente is a brutal fairy tale, The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner is a novel about intrigue and swordplay set in a decadent society, people really adore The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by NK Jemisin (though the protagonist is fairly central and 'special', as I recall), and I'm probably forgetting a zillion more.

Congrats man that is absolutely fantastic!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I gotta be honest, the Mormon talk is un-selling me on Brandon Sanderson.

Nah, don't let that be a reason to not be Sanderson - I love Sanderson, but if you're going to not read/dislike him, do it because you've given it a try and ended up not liking it. He's pretty much not a 'mormon author', just an author that happens to be mormon in that you'd never remotely guess that he's mormon from pretty much anything at all in his books other than 'no real world cussing' and 'no on screen sex' which isn't exactly unique to mormon authors or even that big of a deal. The 'dad humor' bit I've always rolled my eyes a bit at the massive arguments that start in the Sanderson thread over it - I just take it as some characters are terrible comedians and leave it at that - not every joke has to be funny, and it's not like the books really imply that they are supposed to be genuinely funny or anything, or even focuses on it at all other than the occasional terrible oneliner that everyone rolls their eyes at.

Mistborn is a good, if initially simple-seeming, that starts off 'pretty good' and becomes 'amazing' in book 2 and 3. He's one of those author that gets better with every book he writes, so his earliest works (Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker) are rough around the edges even if they are still very enjoyable, while his latest works (Legion, The Emperor's Soul, Way of Kings/Words of Radiance, Steelheart, Alloy of Law) are considerably better.

If you want an excellent sampling of the best of Sanderson, try reading his short story The Emperor's Soul. Short length so it's not too much of an investment, but a really, really good story. Hell, it won a Hugo.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 1, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Wolpertinger posted:

Mistborn is a good, if initially simple-seeming, that starts off 'pretty good' and becomes 'amazing' in book 2 and 3.
Funny, I felt pretty much the opposite. Kelsier was about a million times more interesting of a protagonist than whatsherface and the books got way worse after he dropped out. Seriously, I read all three books and I don't even remember her or her boyfriend's name, that's how much of a nonentity they are in comparison.

Plus, the ending of the first book really feels like the natural stopping point of the series and I never could quite shake the feeling that everything after it was more or less extraneous.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Congratulations! ...but you know, that's not obnoxious at all. Looking forwards to putting you in a brand new Goon Authors category in the OP.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Funny, I felt pretty much the opposite. Kelsier was about a million times more interesting of a protagonist than whatsherface and the books got way worse after he dropped out. Seriously, I read all three books and I don't even remember her or her boyfriend's name, that's how much of a nonentity they are in comparison.

Plus, the ending of the first book really feels like the natural stopping point of the series and I never could quite shake the feeling that everything after it was more or less extraneous.

Eh, Most of the first book was so.. stereotypical, almost - For me it was pretty much there to set up books 2 and 3. The consequences of a typical fantasy story leading to something you didn't expect at all. Elend wasn't particularly interesting, admittedly, but I did like Vin, Sazed, and most of the rest of the characters. The plot twists in 2 and 3 were pretty much amazing, especially considering how in many cases they were foreshadowed repeatedly as early as the first book, over and over, and you don't realize the full significance of a lot of things until you read it again.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I know this is nowhere as cool an accomplishment as General Battuta's, but I just got my first review quote published on a book's back cover :toot:

It's such a generic-sounding quote but oh well :D

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 1, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I know this is nowhere as cool an accomplishment as General Battuta's, but I just got my first review quote published on a book's back cover :toot:

Which book?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Talus and the Frozen King by Graham Edwards (added a photo to my post above you) but the review quote was about an earlier work of his.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

Eh, Most of the first book was so.. stereotypical, almost - For me it was pretty much there to set up books 2 and 3. The consequences of a typical fantasy story leading to something you didn't expect at all. Elend wasn't particularly interesting, admittedly, but I did like Vin, Sazed, and most of the rest of the characters. The plot twists in 2 and 3 were pretty much amazing, especially considering how in many cases they were foreshadowed repeatedly as early as the first book, over and over, and you don't realize the full significance of a lot of things until you read it again.

I got pretty fed up with the Mistborn books at about book 2, I think? It was right when Sazed read that metal plaque and said "Don't trust anything that's not written in metal, eh? Let me just take a paper rubbing of this and base everything off of it. Yeah. No way that will backfire."

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ZerodotJander posted:

Remember, Peter Brett wrote The Warded Man on his Treo phone on the subway on the way to his investment banker job.

According to his website it was on his laptop on his way to his publishing job :v:

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think there is a 'main' character per say, it's more of an ensemble cast. Feels as much like an episodic TV show as anything, to me.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

General Battuta posted:

Thanks everybody :3:

Fall 2015's the target. Publishing moves with great deliberation.

Awesome. Having a commission is a great feeling, as you know the work you put in will be rewarded in the end. Looking forward to seeing the end results!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

General Battuta posted:

Congratulations and thank you for the recommendations added Deathless and Hundred Thousand Kingdoms to my next book order, couldn't find The privilege of the sword though.

Blog Free or Die posted:

I think Robin Hobb might be the author for you. Multiple finished series, main character usually not super competant, female characters not evil.

Also some of my favorite books, although doesn't seem to be the majority opinion around here :v:

I loved the Assassin & Fool trilogies, thought the Liveship traders were ok, and couldn't even finish the first soldier son book. I actually think I've got the Rain wilds book but I never started them , thanks for reminding me.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Hel posted:

I loved the Assassin & Fool trilogies, thought the Liveship traders were ok, and couldn't even finish the first soldier son book. I actually think I've got the Rain wilds book but I never started them , thanks for reminding me.

A third Fitz trilogy is coming out this year.

Am i the only one who loovvvvved her liveship books? Haven't managed to go far into Soldier Son, though, mainly because of the haters.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
As well as The Expanse (SF series by James SA Corey), SyFy is now turning Lev Grossman's The Magicians into a TV series! Exciting times :toot:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/04/the-magicians-lev-grossman-television-adaptation

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Hedrigall posted:

As well as The Expanse (SF series by James SA Corey), SyFy is now turning Lev Grossman's The Magicians into a TV series! Exciting times :toot:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/04/the-magicians-lev-grossman-television-adaptation

That sounds awful and depressing.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

General Battuta posted:

Fantastic news! Congratulations!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

General Battuta posted:

Congrats!

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I thought the Mistborn trilogy was pretty good with a slight slog in the middle but Alloy of Law was firing on all cylinders. I loved it and hope he writes more such shorter stuff in between the epics.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

I guess we just felt differently, then. For me, the quality of the final two books dropped off majorly because I thought those were hitting all the clichés. While the first book still had Vin filling the role of "blank slate teenage kid discovered to have Special Magical Powers" it was, in my opinion, redeemed by the plot being about Kelsier's personal revenge, history and motivations, being as he was a character with actual personality, background and reasons to do what he did besides it just sorta falling into his lap.

Without him, the final two books turned into the most generic "special kid saves the world and grows up" story imaginable. I don't think I even remember any of twists, because I either thought they were uninteresting or telegraphed so hard they were completely obvious. Sazed being the one who turns into god at the end while everyone else dies caught me a bit by surprise, but at that point, the books were over and there was nothing left to save.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Didn't this actually make it to the pilot before? Well, good for Grossman, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lowkin posted:

Just started reading the final book of wheel of time after a 5 year hiatus. Can't believe I wasn't as bothered by "he does rose petal over the moon" as I am now. Anyone else hate the way he describes sword fights? are these real sword moves or is he just making up stuff?
As was mentioned, he's making poo poo up but it is a well-established naming practise in many martial arts. I practise tai chi and there are a ton of weird names which (sometimes) resemble the motion being performed, such as
Playing Lute (a mostly defensive stance)

and Snake Parts Grass (a very low forward-moving stance, which can be followed by a lifting punch or leaping kick.)

If you're not a little versed in martial arts I'd imagine that Jordan's fake-fu gets annoying and may not necessarily make a ton of sense. The main thing to keep in mind if you want to attempt to visualize his fake-fu names, is to look for the action words, such as "Rose Petal Over the Moon" would likely be some kind of overhead sweeping deflection (over the moon) which doesn't require a great deal of force (rose petal) to stop a blow, since it's merely redirecting it away from the target.

:goonsay:

Phoon posted:

Re: Sex & Sanderson I always thought it was funny how in Mistborn the two heroes are in love and live together but don't even seem to consider having sex until they get married and then its like they realise they can and immediately do
The power of their magic Mormon underwear kept them chaste until they'd exchanged vows. :allears:

I wasn't hugely impressed with Mistborn - its shine wore off after the first book, and I just sort of lost interest toward the end of the third. I really liked The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, although WoR felt very much like an episode of DBZ by the climax.

Cardiovorax posted:

This. 100%.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 1, 2014