Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kazil posted:

The Gutter is a great zone. It's more like Tomb of the Giants than Blighttown.

The zone after The Gutter makes a good replacement for Blighttown. Black Gulch is still great

Black Gulch is too short to get angry about.

Especially if you know about / find The hidden second bonfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I saw a guy in full Jester armor powerstancing greatswords called "Gameshardlol" when sunbroing. :v:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

ebony granny posted:

I've been spending most of my time invading the bell towers and putting down my red sign at the Iron Keep bridge, and I've been winning the vast majority of my PvP; what's the deal? Most people don't even seem to understand the idea behind guard break :confused:

A lot of people basically can't guard break, so they don't use it in PvE, and forget that it even exists. The window is so small for guard break that the timing ends up being really awkward on a lot of controllers. I have two 360 controllers (same model) and can easily do guard break on one but not on the other. Like there is some very slight input delay on the stick of one of them so that creates a very awkward timing where you have to push the stick just very slightly before you press the button. Didn't have this problem with the kick in DkS 1.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Can someone come help me with the looking glass knight in NG+? I hate this boss so much. I have no idea what to do against him :( He also keeps summoning assholes through his shield.

Nevermind, I finally got him. Now it's my turn to invade... Just kidding, I'll probably hang around and sunbro

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 30, 2014

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I like helping people. One waved as my duty was fulfilled. PvP must feel so empty, someone invaded me then ran away........

If you are going to invade at least be prepared.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zaphod42 posted:

Black Gulch is too short to get angry about.

Especially if you know about / find The hidden second bonfire

Also the statues stay dead as long as you dont zone out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Gutter is kind of a paradox for me because it was very close to being good. I love how it messes with your head. You enter the area and its dark. The only sounds you hear is that of a steady heartbeat and ichor oozing down the walls. Its too dark to see anything clearly and you can't tell what exactly you're looking at. Then suddenly poison comes out of nowhere. You panic and wonder what the gently caress is going on, but its still too dark to see. And no matter where you go, that disgusting heartbeat follows you. Its incredibly unnerving.

But then as you explore the area you realize the terror was all in your head. Almost all of the enemies are weak and pathetic, easily falling before you. When you cast away the dark your left staring at the pathetic ramshackle houses that once belonged to the feeble inhabitants you just killed. the ominous heartbeat isn't some massive monster you were walking in too. No, it was coming from the completely nondescript statues you probably overlooked. Those statues are so innocuous, yet are the biggest threat in the Gutter. Once you realize whats going on, they are easy to dispose of. The Gutters is cobbled together out of trash and muk, the unwanted refuse tossed aside by the kingdom's inhabitants for ages. And as it is nothing but trash, it can't pose any real threat to you. The dangers of the Gutter were entirely in your head.

That's all really cool and clever, but it has one fatal game design problem; those statues are annoying as gently caress. If they stayed destroyed it would be fine, but if you leave you have to chop through them all again.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Can someone come help me with the looking glass knight in NG+? I hate this boss so much. I have no idea what to do against him :( He also keeps summoning assholes through his shield.

You dual wield maces with the poise damage ring and you SMASH HIS FACE

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Domattee posted:

A lot of people basically can't guard break, so they don't use it in PvE, and forget that it even exists. The window is so small for guard break that the timing ends up being really awkward on a lot of controllers. I have two 360 controllers (same model) and can easily do guard break on one but not on the other. Like there is some very slight input delay on the stick of one of them so that creates a very awkward timing where you have to push the stick just very slightly before you press the button. Didn't have this problem with the kick in DkS 1.

It's not that they don't guard break (even though they don't), it's that they get their guard broken (and the followup crit attack) then continue to just stand around with their shield up and do nothing to dodge the guard breaks

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Internet Kraken posted:

The Gutter is kind of a paradox for me because it was very close to being good. I love how it messes with your head. You enter the area and its dark. The only sounds you hear is that of a steady heartbeat and ichor oozing down the walls. Its too dark to see anything clearly and you can't tell what exactly you're looking at. Then suddenly poison comes out of nowhere. You panic and wonder what the gently caress is going on, but its still too dark to see. And no matter where you go, that disgusting heartbeat follows you. Its incredibly unnerving.

But then as you explore the area you realize the terror was all in your head. Almost all of the enemies are weak and pathetic, easily falling before you. When you cast away the dark your left staring at the pathetic ramshackle houses that once belonged to the feeble inhabitants you just killed. the ominous heartbeat isn't some massive monster you were walking in too. No, it was coming from the completely nondescript statues you probably overlooked. Those statues are so innocuous, yet are the biggest threat in the Gutter. Once you realize whats going on, they are easy to dispose of. The Gutters is cobbled together out of trash and muk, the unwanted refuse tossed aside by the kingdom's inhabitants for ages. And as it is nothing but trash, it can't pose any real threat to you. The dangers of the Gutter were entirely in your head.

That's all really cool and clever, but it has one fatal game design problem; those statues are annoying as gently caress. If they stayed destroyed it would be fine, but if you leave you have to chop through them all again.

You're way too invested in this game, holy poo poo. :justpost:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

HellCopter posted:

Of course you can powerstance ultra-greatswords. This is Dark Souls.

I regret all of my build choices now that haven't lead me to this path.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vintersorg posted:

You're way too invested in this game, holy poo poo. :justpost:

:lol: What? Now you're getting mad at me for praising the level design? Lighten up, its just a game.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Giant Isopod posted:

I regret all of my build choices now that haven't lead me to this path.

Fair warning though, it's really slow and really bad for PvP. But on the other hand, dual wielding Greatswords. On the other other hand, 1100 damage in one hit.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So, there's a sword that acts as a catalyst for sorcery and it can be powerstanced with itself AND it can be CMWed (which adds damage to spells).

You really can have it all in this game. :getin:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

cat doter posted:

Fair warning though, it's really slow and really bad for PvP. But on the other hand, dual wielding Greatswords. On the other other hand, 1100 damage in one hit.

Ridiculous gimmick builds are like 95% of the fun of pvp though.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Giant Isopod posted:

Ridiculous gimmick builds are like 95% of the fun of pvp though.

I've got a slvl 200 odd Greatsword dual wielder on the xbox 360 version, and I'm out of the level range of most PvP, but when I was in the right range, even the most basic PvP focused builds blew me up, it's just a super difficult build to kill people with really.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Whats the point of dual weilding if you just attack as slow and cant block?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WYA posted:

Power Stance does a loving shitload of burst damage.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

WYA posted:

If you alternate right and left attacks its actually faster. If you power stance you get more damage for the same amout of time spent attacking (at the cost of stamina). You can't block, but you can still parry with certain weapons in the offhand.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Not when you're dead.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Holy Cheese posted:

Not when you're dead.

Try rolling ahead,    then skeleton

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Yeah if you can get enough of an opening on a boss to do 2 L1 attacks then an L2, that can be like 2200 damage or more depending on stats and buffs.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I have a Bastard Sword and a Spear; it's pretty fun to poke people when all they're focused on is my main-hand weapon. Whenever things get tough though I typically switch over to my shield because it's 10x better to have than the Spear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Black Gulch is doing a wonderful job of showing me how little From has improved the level geometry's hitboxes.

e: Is the witchtree staff and chime worth using over my magic archdrake staff and archdrake chime? I'm using the chime for lightning spear and resonant soul.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 30, 2014

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Oh also the poise damage with power stance maces is loving crazy, you can literally stunlock bosses.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Cardiovorax posted:

After loving around with respeccing for a while, there's a few general pointers that I would give to anyone playing the game.

First: Do not invest in attack stats (str, dex, int, fth) any more than you absolutely, totally need to. The difference between 12 and 99 in Int is like 30-50 damage on your basic Soul Arrow. That's less than 30 percent. Don't even loving bother

What weapon are you using and how does it scale with your stat? Is it A for dex/Str?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I've doing some jolly co-op and a few times when the summoner entered the boss arena, I got a message saying that the master of the world has left the area and I'm kicked out.
Anyone know what's up with that?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Farming for item drops is tedious when you can't run around with 15 liquid humanity on top of gear that increases drop rate. I have a feeling I won't be able to get the chest piece off of those great bow dudes in Iron Keep before having to enter the boss door.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Shrine of Amana is like if the archer bridge was an entire level long.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Raygereio posted:

I've doing some jolly co-op and a few times when the summoner entered the boss arena, I got a message saying that the master of the world has left the area and I'm kicked out.
Anyone know what's up with that?

He beat the boss for that section.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Beat Darklurker Finally. Got his boss spell. Owns bones. Hurts friendly phantoms :shepface:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I wish I had made this

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
That's amazing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ulvir posted:

Farming for item drops is tedious when you can't run around with 15 liquid humanity on top of gear that increases drop rate. I have a feeling I won't be able to get the chest piece off of those great bow dudes in Iron Keep before having to enter the boss door.

Ye olde favorite, the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, can be had in the Iron Keep.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Shrine of Amana is like if the archer bridge was an entire level long.

And if the archers also had homing arrows. Doesn't beat how hilarious it is going into the fogged Shaded Woods area blind, not knowing what horrors await you there. Goddamn it's hilarious being summoned there, and watching people get oneshot backstabbed every single time.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's basically not explained anywhere as far as I can tell, so:

To "properly" dual-wield (instead of just having the benefits of wielding stuff with different movesets in each hand), you need:

1) two weapons of the same type (hammer, greatsword, straight sword, etc.) - they don't need to be identical, so e.g. a mace and a club works
2) that you have 1.5 times the stats for (round up, so a weapon with a min requirement of Str 12 Dex 9 needs Str 18 Dex 14)

Then, you hold the 1h/2h button until the left weapon is held pointing up instead of down. At that point, your L1/L2 will attack with both weapons, but your R1/R2 will be the normal attack with one weapon.

Also worth noting that holding the 1h/2h button lets you two-hand the weapon in your off-hand if you don't meet the above requirements (you can dual-wield a shield if you want).
Thanks a lot, i'll try it out!

ebony granny posted:

I've been spending most of my time invading the bell towers and putting down my red sign at the Iron Keep bridge, and I've been winning the vast majority of my PvP; what's the deal? Most people don't even seem to understand the idea behind guard break :confused:
I've won the majority of PvP fights simply because of the poise reduction ring.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I spiced down great resonant soul and holy poo poo. Fires fast, does twice as much as great heavy soul arrow, costs 1k souls but I'm late enough that really doesn't matter. Time to make my chime dark. :stare:

Soul vortex is also fun but seems kind of limited.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

I spiced down great resonant soul and holy poo poo. Fires fast, does twice as much as great heavy soul arrow, costs 1k souls but I'm late enough that really doesn't matter. Time to make my chime dark. :stare:

Once you get to Drangleic Castle get Caitha's Chime and make it +10 Dark. :getin:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

neetengie posted:

He beat the boss for that section.
:confused: The 3 times this happened was when the summoner when through the Last Giant's foggate. If that foggate is up, then he hasn't beaten that yet right? And as far as I know the only other boss in that area is the Persuer and you need the key the Last Giant drops to access that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I beat the game today. :toot: The final boss was hilariously easy, even fighting the throne defender/watcher and Nashandra back to back wasn't enough to stop it from being a joke. Now the only thing left to do is kill Vendrick and I can call this playthrough complete.

Is it just me of is the Giant Lord boss awful?