Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Raygereio posted:

:confused: The 3 times this happened was when the summoner when through the Last Giant's foggate. If that foggate is up, then he hasn't beaten that yet right? And as far as I know the only other boss in that area is the Persuer and you need the key the Last Giant drops to access that guy.

If you summon a shade/phantom or get invaded the fog gate goes up anyways even if you beat the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Ye olde favorite, the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, can be had in the Iron Keep.

Yea, I'm running around with that + merchant hat/Jester hat. I've got two or three of their helmets, and two or three of every set piece off of the regular dudes there. But the chest piece from the guys with lightning swords are still lacking.

Racked up a shittonne of souls, though.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Raygereio posted:

I've doing some jolly co-op and a few times when the summoner entered the boss arena, I got a message saying that the master of the world has left the area and I'm kicked out.
Anyone know what's up with that?

I believe the small white soapstone won't let you fight the summoner's boss. I can't say for sure, though, as I've never had somebody try to fight the boss when they summoned me with my small sign.

Edit: or maybe what neetengie said, I don't know v:v:v

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FutonForensic posted:

I wish I had made this

Is that Angus from DMC4?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

404notfound posted:

I believe the small white soapstone won't let you fight the summoner's boss. I can't say for sure, though, as I've never had somebody try to fight the boss when they summoned me with my small sign.

You can fight as a Shade, you'll still disappear if the time limit ends and the boss isn't dead though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

I spiced down great resonant soul and holy poo poo. Fires fast, does twice as much as great heavy soul arrow, costs 1k souls but I'm late enough that really doesn't matter. Time to make my chime dark. :stare:

Soul vortex is also fun but seems kind of limited.

I would just save the darknight stone for Caitha's Chime (unless you have plenty). Once you get it to +10/infuse with dark it's pretty much the best ever for hexes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the hell, I can't put my summon sign down in Earthen Peak, it won't let me at the shaded forest, and no one's summoning me anywhere else. Is 115 just too high now?

quote:

I would just save the darknight stone for Caitha's Chime (unless you have plenty). Once you get it to +10/infuse with dark it's pretty much the best ever for hexes.

Plenty of dark, no magic though. So nice. So smooth.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

What the hell, I can't put my summon sign down in Earthen Peak, it won't let me at the shaded forest, and no one's summoning me anywhere else. Is 115 just too high now?

You can PvP like CRAZY at the Iron Keep Threshhold Bridge

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Your soul level has nothing to do with whether you can drop a sign.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is it worth it to bonfire ascetic the gargoyles' fire and kill them for the gold serpent ring, considering I'd have to re-deal with the belltower chicanery?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Your soul level has nothing to do with whether you can drop a sign.

1.3 million soul memory. There's a soapstone sign with a red mark through it at Earthen Peak. It just won't let me at the shaded forest. No real reason that I can see. I don't leave multi, and the bone of order has no effect, so it's not that. I was summoning early fine too. PVP is dead in the water more or less but that's not new.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
I feel like I've hit a wall - I'm level 100 at the Iron Keep after clearing out just about everything else that precedes it (black gulch, earthen peak, the gutter). I can handle the speedy guards with the swords/bows, and I was just barely able to kill the Smelter Demon with help from 2 summons after like 15 attempts. The metal turtles in the next area, and Belry Sol, are both just kicking my rear end though. I've always had a challenge when going to the next area, but this is different.

I'm a pure melee build right now - wearing basically a full Drangleic set (I'm experimenting with swapping a couple pieces out to get below 70% encumbrance to fast roll).

Is there something else I should be doing? Or should I work on leveling up some more?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Is it worth it to bonfire ascetic the gargoyles' fire and kill them for the gold serpent ring, considering I'd have to re-deal with the belltower chicanery?

If all you want is the ring, play offline in the belfry. You'll just get invaded by an NPC chumps.

RBA Starblade posted:

1.3 million soul memory. There's a soapstone sign with a red mark through it at Earthen Peak. It just won't let me at the shaded forest. No real reason that I can see. I don't leave multi, and the bone of order has no effect, so it's not that. I was summoning early fine too. PVP is dead in the water more or less but that's not new.

Usually if you have that soapstone icon, you've burned an effigy in the area's bonfire. Bone of order will not reverse that, it just has to wear off.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It might just be where you're placing it. I assume you can't drop one in a boss room and there may be other places that don't allow for summons, probably can't sunbro in areas with no boss either. Where exactly are you putting it down?

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Despoiler posted:

I feel like I've hit a wall - I'm level 100 at the Iron Keep after clearing out just about everything else that precedes it (black gulch, earthen peak, the gutter). I can handle the speedy guards with the swords/bows, and I was just barely able to kill the Smelter Demon with help from 2 summons after like 15 attempts. The metal turtles in the next area, and Belry Sol, are both just kicking my rear end though. I've always had a challenge when going to the next area, but this is different.

I'm a pure melee build right now - wearing basically a full Drangleic set (I'm experimenting with swapping a couple pieces out to get below 70% encumbrance to fast roll).

Is there something else I should be doing? Or should I work on leveling up some more?

The turtles are easy, just wait for them to do their forward overhead smash, roll backwards, then smack them a couple of times. Repeat.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

I wouldn't say so. You can get the +1 ring from the vendor in IK after you spend some souls there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

Usually if you have that soapstone icon, you've burned an effigy in the area's bonfire. Bone of order will not reverse that, it just has to wear off.

I put that down three days ago. How long does that fucker last?

quote:

It might just be where you're placing it. I assume you can't drop one in a boss room and there may be other places that don't allow for summons, probably can't sunbro in areas with no boss either. Where exactly are you putting it down?

Far outside the bonfire, down the paths for the forest. I just got a pvp in so that's going at least.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
How does the matchmaking for the blood covenant duels work? I've played about 50 matches, and haven't won a single one. Everyone there one or two shots me, and takes at least 20 hits to kill. It can't be based on soul memory, since I would theoretically be able to win a few matches even if I was terrible, right?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

I believe it's like a half hour, in-game time. So it should be gone by now. But that's totally what that symbol means! Maybe you joined the Covenant of Champions? Without noticing? In a fugue state?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

RBA Starblade posted:

Far outside the bonfire, down the paths for the forest. I just got a pvp in so that's going at least.

It lasts a hour. You didn't join the Hard more covenant, did you?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The dynamic UI makes taking screenshots so easy now.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It shouldn't last terribly long, but perhaps you have to actually be in the area for its timer to count down?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Some rear end in a top hat is leaving a red summon sign at central drangleic, goes by the name of Lucy. Infinite health, stam, and can backstab you from any angle. Boy! Sure taught me a lesson!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

FutonForensic posted:

Havok ragdolls may be gone, but the soul still burns.

Skeletons also love to fall into a perfect T-pose after they die, bizarrely.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gamerofthegame posted:

It lasts a hour. You didn't join the Hard more covenant, did you?

Bell bros. I'm pvp'ing pretty regularly now, I must have just left the range for pretty much every area. Including common bonfire ascetic areas I guess.

quote:

It shouldn't last terribly long, but perhaps you have to actually be in the area for its timer to count down?

I did the entire area a few times looking for Pate and dying to Mytha.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

I love the ragdolls in the game, even if I die a little inside knowing I can't spin in a circle and screw with them. Every time I look at a corpse it's in a different position.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

It supposed to last about 30 minutes, but I have seen at least one post from a guy on another site who had it last for like 3 days. I didn't see a solution for it unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure you should still be able to summon NPCs though, unless you were looking to soapstone for humanity or something like that.

Edit: OK it looks like the solution is to hang out in the area you burned the effigy for it to wear off.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm really not enjoying Iron Keep at all. Is there somewhere else I can go? I've done Sinner, Scorpioness, Covetous Demon, and the serpent thing in Harvest Valley recently.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm powerstancing clubs as a Bellbro and I can't stop. I can't stop. I'm Jambro in game. I hope I ruined your day. ( I will go back to Sunbroing eventually).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

It supposed to last about 30 minutes, but I have seen at least one post from a guy on another site who had it last for like 3 days. I didn't see a solution for it unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure you should still be able to summon NPCs though, unless you were looking to soapstone for humanity or something like that.

Edit: OK it looks like the solution is to hang out in the area you burned the effigy for it to wear off.

Yeah I was just looking to regain my humanity. Finally did at Sinner's Rise after a while. Thanks for the info on the effigy too, though I'll probably never burn one again. That's boring and I did it by mistake the first time.

Does leveling up the Black Hood (Straid's hood) increase how much it increases casting speed? I only have a handful of twinkling titanite and don't want to blow it on that if not.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Red Crown posted:

I'm really not enjoying Iron Keep at all. Is there somewhere else I can go? I've done Sinner, Scorpioness, Covetous Demon, and the serpent thing in Harvest Valley recently.

You could keep moving past Scorpion lady or jump down the Majula pit

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Red Crown posted:

Yeah, there's another way to go but Iron Keep is not optional so you'll have to come back eventually.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Red Crown posted:

There's that big hole in Majula...

Unfortunately, you'll probably be less thrilled with where that goes. :(

Edit: Oh dang you guys were fast

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FutonForensic posted:

There's that big hole in Majula...

Unfortunately, you'll probably be less thrilled with where that goes. :(

I need to go back down there. I went through once, saw one rat, then beat the bunch of rats.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it just me, or do the bigger weapons that slam the ground miss the target very often when you switch on auto-aim? I'm trying out the Large Club because it seems fast and powerful, but more often than not my guy will hit to the enemy's left or right, even when they're stationary.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy loving hell was the traitor Licia of Lindeldt fight tedious. That was a legit boss fight if you couldn't get her pinned as for some reason it's really tough to break her spell animations.

Jay Rust posted:

Is it just me, or do the bigger weapons that slam the ground miss the target very often when you switch on auto-aim? I'm trying out the Large Club because it seems fast and powerful, but more often than not my guy will hit to the enemy's left or right, even when they're stationary.

I think it's a per-weapon thing. I have no problem with the Zweihander but I can't his a drat thing with the Gyrm Axe. No idea.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I need to go back down there. I went through once, saw one rat, then beat the bunch of rats.

That area is kind of the "side dungeon" of the hole. You'll need to go deeper eventually (past the bunch of rats is a path, or you can just drop further in the pit itself).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Despoiler posted:

Belfry Sol is 100% optional and a pain because of the bellbros, so don't bother.

For the turtles, the strategy is the same as literally every other armoured enemy in the game: don't bother hitting them with slash or pierce damage, use a blunt weapon.

RBA Starblade posted:

Bell bros. I'm pvp'ing pretty regularly now, I must have just left the range for pretty much every area. Including common bonfire ascetic areas I guess.

I'm at 1.4mil having just cleared Iron Keep, and have no problems with co-oping or bellbroing.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 1, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

you have to actually aim the strikes with the analog stick, especially when comboing. it can be tricky to get used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Belfry Sol is 100% optional and a pain because of the bellbros, so don't bother.

For the turtles, the strategy is the same as literally every other armoured enemy in the game: don't bother hitting them with slash or pierce damage, use a blunt weapon.

I'm at 1.4mil having just cleared Iron Keep, and have no problems with co-oping or bellbroing.

There's not even a boss in Sol and the best piece of loot, Immolation, can be obtained elsewhere. It's completely pointless if you don't want to fight bellboys.