Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Would anyone be interesting in having a mock draft game? Most accurate in the crap shoot gets platinum.

+1 for getting a player in the first round. + 2 for getting it right in the top 10. +5 for matching a player and a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
I always chuckle at all the draft talking heads outsmarting themselves and mocking a TE, WR or LB to the Giants in the 1st year in and year out.

D-lineman or CB, people. That's all Reese knows. I think Aaron Donald's going to New York.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Eric Branch just tweeted that the same source that told him the Niners were interested in Eric Reid last year says they're very high on Beckham. Probably would cost a lot less to trade into top 15 for him than top 8ish for Evans, so I cautiously approve of this idea.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Toymachine posted:

I always chuckle at all the draft talking heads outsmarting themselves and mocking a TE, WR or LB to the Giants in the 1st year in and year out.

D-lineman or CB, people. That's all Reese knows. I think Aaron Donald's going to New York.

Aaron Donald would only go to New York if he's there in the second. Reese only picks second round DTs that sometimes work out.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That makes a lot more sense to me than Evans. Depending on how late they pull the trigger they may only have to spend a third rounder.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Grozz Nuy posted:

Eric Branch just tweeted that the same source that told him the Niners were interested in Eric Reid last year says they're very high on Beckham. Probably would cost a lot less to trade into top 15 for him than top 8ish for Evans, so I cautiously approve of this idea.
The Bengals have shown interest in Beckham. Lord, let him fall and let that trade happen.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

They should should swap firsts with the Chiefs and give the Chiefs a second for their trouble. There you go, another 7 draft spots.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

man why is everyone so high on this eric ebron dude i just don't get it

*never watched a single UNC game all year*

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Alouicious posted:

He Just Drops Balls.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The only two or three games I saw he played last year, he was amazing, but he also needed to work on holding on to the catch.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

They should should swap firsts with the Chiefs and give the Chiefs a second for their trouble. There you go, another 7 draft spots.

That sounds fine except for the fact that he'll be gone by the 23rd pick I think.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

DupaDupa posted:

Would anyone be interesting in having a mock draft game? Most accurate in the crap shoot gets platinum.

+1 for getting a player in the first round. + 2 for getting it right in the top 10. +5 for matching a player and a team.

I set up a group on nfl.com for their predict the pick thing. It was The Farthouse and the password was goons, I think.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Alouicious posted:

Says the North Carolina fan. Do tell.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Says the North Carolina fan. Do tell.

I ain't no UNC fan man, I'm a Panthers fan but my college allegiances are mercenary and inconsistent at best

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay can someone tell me one reason the Chiefs shouldn't draft Brandin Cooks? I think he's the only receiver that has a chance to be elite in the second half of the draft.

Strengths:
Explosive play-maker
Very fast
Consistently gets separation
Weapon on third down
Great hands
Intelligent
Stretches the defense
Forces teams to keep a safety deep
Quick release off of the line
Excellent route runner
Tough
Short, but strong
Plug and play; ready to contribute as a slot receiver
High floor
Upside

Weaknesses:
Very short
Short wing span

It's a good thing he won't be playing for the NBA. I hate falling in love with players before the draft and then just getting disappointed when they get drafted elsewhere (Eric Berry being the exception) but man I want this kid the more I read about him.

quote:

Won the Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top receiver in 2013, when he established Pac-12 single-season records with 128 receptions and 1,730 receiving yards, which led the FBS, in 13 starts at flanker; he also had 16 receiving touchdowns.
Also had 61 career rushes for 340 yards (5.6) and two touchdowns. Owns Oregon State record for career touchdown catches (24). Team captain.

Does anybody think this guy won't be successful in the NFL because he's short?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alouicious posted:

I ain't no UNC fan man, I'm a Panthers fan but my college allegiances are mercenary and inconsistent at best

I'm a Falcons fan, but the college team I support is almost universally "The Underdogs".

Because I like seeing the dreams of a perfect season loving ruined by an inferior team.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Alouicious posted:

I did watch more than a few UNC games and his highlight videos and his game tape videos. He lines up in the slot more often than not, wasn't ever asked to block, and wrangles catches. Yes he's a physical freak but those are valid concerns to have over someone potentially going top 15.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

kiimo posted:

Okay can someone tell me one reason the Chiefs shouldn't draft Brandin Cooks? I think he's the only receiver that has a chance to be elite in the second half of the draft.

Strengths:
Explosive play-maker
Very fast
Consistently gets separation
Weapon on third down
Great hands
Intelligent
Stretches the defense
Forces teams to keep a safety deep
Quick release off of the line
Excellent route runner
Tough
Short, but strong
Plug and play; ready to contribute as a slot receiver
High floor
Upside

Weaknesses:
Very short
Short wing span

It's a good thing he won't be playing for the NBA. I hate falling in love with players before the draft and then just getting disappointed when they get drafted elsewhere (Eric Berry being the exception) but man I want this kid the more I read about him.

Does anybody think this guy won't be successful in the NFL because he's short?

Lee should be real good too and I like OBJ and Benjamin too. Basically there's like six receivers worthy of a first rounder so it's just a matter of which one is there.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'd be totally down with this. He could contribute right away as kick returner, while they ease him into the offense.

Also, have to keep the LSU theme going.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

kiimo posted:

Cooks kind of reminds me of a poor man's Percy Harvin, he's small but he's strong and tough as hell for his size. He doesn't quite have Tavon Austin's ridiculous juke moves in terms of comparing tiny burner WR prospects, but he's much more well rounded.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I wouldn't expect Beckham to fall out of the top 20, though. Current speculation is they might deal with the Ravens for 17 if he's still on the board then. A hypothetical deal of 30 and 61 for 17 would be just fine by me, then they'd still have the Chiefs' pick and all three thirds to address CB, OLB, or hell another WR just for kicks. It'd be more than they gave up to Dallas for Reid, but this is a better draft so I suspect the price for moving up will be higher.

If they stay put it'll probably be Verrett or Fuller.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

If they stay put it'll probably be Verrett or Fuller.

Not a big fan of Fuller, I hope not.

Parmesan Basil posted:

Lee should be real good too and I like OBJ and Benjamin too. Basically there's like six receivers worthy of a first rounder so it's just a matter of which one is there.

I really don't get why Lee has fallen so far. I think he's going to be this year's Keenan Allen.

Edit: I think Benjamin's a bit dodgy. 23 years old and has relatively limited experience, good long speed but no quickness. It's more likely he'll bust than succeed, but he's one of those guys you'd really have to meet in person to get a good handle on.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 30, 2014

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Coldforge posted:

Not a big fan of Fuller, I hope not.

Why not? The injuries?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Why not? The injuries?

I don't like the way he plays the position. Constantly gives up big chunks of yards to avoid getting beat deep (and when he plays tighter, he does get beat deep). Only seems to make a play on terrible passes. Don't like his form on tackles. Have a feeling he's going to spend a good chunk of time on the IR list, his injury history isn't because of freak accidents, but because he throws his body around.

The Alabama game is a good one to watch to see his flaws (and his good points, too, he does have plenty of them).

Edit: to be clear, I'm not just talking about scheme. When he plays off, he's slow to break on the play. When he plays man, he's slow to turn and doesn't adjust quickly. He only seems to be good in pure zone coverage. If I had to describe him, I'd say he's an undersized, injury prone tampa linebacker who makes lovely tackles. He's a poor (and starved) man's Sean Lee.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 1, 2014

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dattserberg posted:

I assure you, that's the case every year.

Nah he's wrong. The Lions are an interesting team. Its usually for the wrong reasons though.

Plus Megatron is awesome and does crazy things sometimes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Blake Bortles: Made for Minnesota

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/29/blake-bortles-nfl-draft-minnesota-vikings/

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

kiimo posted:

Okay can someone tell me one reason the Chiefs shouldn't draft Brandin Cooks?

Because the rest of the league is really enjoying Jamaal Charles completely carry an NFL offense by any means necessary?

Seriously dude had 1980/5396 (36.6%) of KC's yards from scrimmage and 19/41 (46.3%) of their touchdowns.

In only 15 games

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

William Clay Ford is dead. Earl Morrall is dead. This is totally the year where the Lions lose a Super Bowl.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
I haven't done enough research on Bortles. What's the general sense of his accuracy and ability to see the entire field? It would be nice if we had a quarterback who could at least do one of those things really well, since Cassel has only proven himself to have mediocre vision and nothing else, and Ponder has proven himself to have :confused: ...running ability and toughness, I guess? And I guess he seems like a decent guy, too...? :shrug:

I'd prefer the Vikings draft Manziel or Bridgewater at this point, since they both seem to be decently accurate and Bridgewater clearly has an elite sense of the game beyond staring down one receiver -- Manziel does too, to a lesser degree -- but that could just be because I haven't taken the time to watch much of Bortles' tape outside of half a game's worth of passes. Would Bortles have an equal ability to Manziel and Bridgewater to take advantage of one of the most underrated receiver corps in the league, and a decent o-line?

From what I've seen of all of the quarterbacks, and correct me if I'm wrong, only Manziel and Bridgewater even come close to having the ability to put the ball anywhere they want.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I don't think this has been posted in this thread yet: here's a detailed article about why future Patriot Tom Savage sucks.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I don't think this has been posted in this thread yet: here's a detailed article about why future Patriot Tom Savage sucks.

Its a really good article and the same author wrote a piece about why Jimmy Garoppolo will probably suck: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/03/05/qb-jimmy-garoppolo-knockout/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh boy

quote:

Eagles general manager Howie Roseman declined to rule out drafting Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel on Wednesday.

"We're going to stick to our board on (possibly drafting Manziel)," Roseman said. "I think that for us, it all depends on the grade. I think that when Coach (Chip Kelly) was talking about (Manziel), he was talking about recruiting, and there's a lot of players in this draft, when we get in the draft room, that Coach is excited about." Kelly, the former coach of Oregon, stoked this fire a bit Monday when he said Manziel "broke my heart" when he committed to Texas A&M. Kelly added: "I love the kid" and "I think he's a hell of a football player." This isn't likely to happen, because Manziel would somehow have to drop to No. 22, but if that happens? Nick Foles will be in for a nervous 15 minutes.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Everyone knows that everyone else is bullshitting about what they are going to do. Why doesn't a GM just say, "We've looked at all the players that interest us and for obvious reasons, I'm not going to tell you the truth about who I want or what I thought of them. Now, if you'd like me to lie about a prospect or who we want to draft, you can ask me a question."

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Everyone knows that everyone else is bullshitting about what they are going to do. Why doesn't a GM just say, "We've looked at all the players that interest us and for obvious reasons, I'm not going to tell you the truth about who I want or what I thought of them. Now, if you'd like me to lie about a prospect or who we want to draft, you can ask me a question."

That's no fun, though. It's a long week until draft time so we might as well just talk about mindless speculation for a while.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DupaDupa posted:

Its a really good article and the same author wrote a piece about why Jimmy Garoppolo will probably suck: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/03/05/qb-jimmy-garoppolo-knockout/

clearly racist against italians, do not listen to him

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Doug Whaley pretty much said at the opening of his draft presser that it's the only time of the year he can use the media to his advantage my talking out of his arse and watch the reaction outside and within the league. I'm sure the talk about the Bills moving up is a smokescreen. I'd love for them to swap with the Giants and then grab Benjamin if Evans is gone by 9.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Danny LaFever posted:

Nah he's wrong. The Lions are an interesting team. Its usually for the wrong reasons though.

Plus Megatron is awesome and does crazy things sometimes.

It's true. Don't listen to me, I am broken.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DupaDupa posted:

Poor kid has the Gabberts? That's too bad. I liked him when he was a later round type, I guess I have no idea where he's supposed to go at this point.

Well, liked him in a general way not knowing much about him other than the Senior Bowl.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

kiimo posted:

I think it was sportsonearth or footballoutsiders that did a piece on Cook's weaknesses but essentially they focused heavily on the Oregon game where he faced off against Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (who is considered a first round talent for 2015). Cooks really struggled against press coverage and his lack of reach and arm strength showed up with an inability to get good separation. I really felt like the article was more showing how crazy good Ifo is, but the authors really were speculative about whether Cooks could find success against an NFL quality DB

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Diodeous posted:

I think it was sportsonearth or footballoutsiders that did a piece on Cook's weaknesses but essentially they focused heavily on the Oregon game where he faced off against Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (who is considered a first round talent for 2015). Cooks really struggled against press coverage and his lack of reach and arm strength showed up with an inability to get good separation. I really felt like the article was more showing how crazy good Ifo is, but the authors really were speculative about whether Cooks could find success against an NFL quality DB

God, I wanted Ekpre-Olomu so bad. Why didn't he declare this year? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

McGinn:

quote:

The Journal Sentinel polled 17 personnel men with national responsibilities to name their five top wide receivers. A first-place vote was worth five points, a second was worth four and so forth.

Wide Receiver:
1) Sammy Watkins - 83 points
2) Mike Evans - 59 points
3) Odell Beckham Jr - 55 points
4) Brandin Cooks - 25 points
5) Marquise Lee - 22 points
6) Jordan Matthews - 3 points
7T) Kelvin Benjamin - 2 points
7T) Cody Lattimer - 2 points
7T) Paul Richardson - 2 points
10T) Davante Adams - 1 point
10T) Shaq Evans - 1 point

"This is the scariest position to draft from," said one scouting veteran. "There's more busts in the top 10 at that position. There's some really good players here, but until they do it I can't say it's a great group."

Of the 23 wide receivers selected among the top 10 in the last 15 drafts, a total of fourteen, or a stunning 61%, could be categorized as busts or disappointments. The six busts were David Terrell, Charles Rogers, Reggie Williams, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams and Darrius Heyward-Bey. The eight disappointments were David Boston, Peter Warrick, Travis Taylor, Koren Robinson, Roy Williams, Braylon Edwards, Ted Ginn Jr. and Justin Blackmon.

Five of the six top-10 busts entered the NFL as underclassmen, as did five of the eight disappointing players. From a subjective list of the top 14 wide receivers [in the 2014 NFL Draft], the only senior is Matthews.

One team uncovered a significant correlation in the failure rate for junior wide receivers that had fewer than 36 receptions before their final season. "Receivers that have two years of very good production have a much higher rate of success," an executive from that club said. "Guys that catch a lot of balls end up being pretty good players."

Be warned that Benjamin, with just 30 receptions before his 54-catch sophomore season, and Bryant, with only 19 before a 42-catch junior season, fall in the danger zone for callow wide receivers. "Bryant is a maybe and I don't major in maybes," an AFC personnel man said. "Maybe there's some people that like maybes. I'm not a maybe guy."

Dismissing Benjamin, another scout said: "He's stiff and lazy. Can't separate. Inconsistent catcher. I don't think he has off the field what it takes to be great on field. "Other than that he'll be fine."

Tight End:

1) Eric Ebron - 68 points
2) Austin Sefarian-Jenkins - 37 points
3) Jace Amaro - 33 points
4) Troy Niklas - 16 points
5) C.J. Fiedorowicz - 11 points
6) Jake Murphy - 3 points
7) Arthur Lynch - 2 points

"Once you get past the first two or three everyone else you just put them in a bag and kind of shake them up," one scout said. "There's nothing that really stands out. The tough part is all the guys that are talented have off-field issues."

• Locked thread