Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Gortarius posted:

Alright so the giant lord boss is the worst thing in the game thus far. You are forced into that small corner because of the explosions, the lock-on is worthless because it makes you blind to what his attacks are going to be but even when not using it he does these 270 degree homing turns with his sweeps, which is just bullshit to be honest. On top of that there is apparently a time limit.

Who the gently caress designed these bosses? It's either a guy in armor with some oversized weapon doing vertical homing attack + horizontal sweep + charge, or it's a giant boss who does sweep attacks and tries to stomp on you.

I actually like that boss. I liked that I could, even with just looking at his feet, could time my dodges around his attacks and kill him without getting hit. It felt intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I'm doing Iron Keep super early because I want to get the advanced turtle armour. My character is limited to dual fists. Shockingly, it isn't going very well.

As cool as power stance fists is, I really wish it didn't prevent you from parrying and backstabbing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gortarius posted:

Alright so the giant lord boss is the worst thing in the game thus far. You are forced into that small corner because of the explosions, the lock-on is worthless because it makes you blind to what his attacks are going to be but even when not using it he does these 270 degree homing turns with his sweeps, which is just bullshit to be honest. On top of that there is apparently a time limit.

Who the gently caress designed these bosses? It's either a guy in armor with some oversized weapon doing vertical homing attack + horizontal sweep + charge, or it's a giant boss who does sweep attacks and tries to stomp on you.

Yeah if you're a caster you're basically hosed because you can't keep an eye on him and the bombs at the same time. You can memorize where they're coming from or you can just have enough health to face tank a hit and hope the boss doesn't murder you before you can heal. Or vice versa and you (somehow, probably because you're checking the sky for fireballs) get hit by his shockwave and then a rock falls on your head. It's absolutely the stupidest thing in the entire game, and that's including the Prowling Magus and Congregation.

It's not even hard, it's just utter poo poo. It looks cool and all but gently caress those fireballs, seriously.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm doing Iron Keep super early because I want to get the advanced turtle armour. My character is limited to dual fists. Shockingly, it isn't going very well.

I had no problem with the enemies in Iron Keep with dual Caestus. It was the Smelter Demon that hosed me over until literally just now. Luckily Lucatiel is actually good against him now, so just summon her and take the fat bastard on 2v1.

But yeah, gently caress the Smelter Demon, especially with dual Caestus. Doubly so when the game gets stupid/buggy. Second to last fight had the SD pin Lucatiel in the door and jump-smash/fart her to death over and over. Last fight had me catch on SD's geometry, get pulled all over the map and then stuck in the wall where I had to finish the fat bastard off with arrows.

Of course, now since I Homeward Boned out (due to being stuck in the drat wall) I gotta take on the Pusuer mano-a-fisto to get to the next bonfire. :sigh:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Gortarius posted:

He's actually one of the easier bosses thank god, since the memories are about the best way to farm souls via ascetics. Get up on that platform to the left. He can only do two attacks while you're there, a vertical slash, which is easy to dodge, and a horizontal slash, which you can roll right through. Just be wary of the fire on the back part of that platform, it wont kill you, but it will stagger you while he one shots you. The attacks being hard to see is because you are locking onto his legs. You can easily tell what he's doing if you're locked onto his torso. You can switch targets by flicking the right stick around if you're using a controller. Or just don't rely on lock on if you aren't using a weapon with thrusting/vertical attacks.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 1, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gortarius posted:

Should have summoned Berhardt, he basically half killed the guy for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Alkydere posted:

I had no problem with the enemies in Iron Keep with dual Caestus. It was the Smelter Demon that hosed me over until literally just now. Luckily Lucatiel is actually good against him now, so just summon her and take the fat bastard on 2v1.

But yeah, gently caress the Smelter Demon, especially with dual Caestus. Doubly so when the game gets stupid/buggy. Second to last fight had the SD pin Lucatiel in the door and jump-smash/fart her to death over and over. Last fight had me catch on SD's geometry, get pulled all over the map and then stuck in the wall where I had to finish the fat bastard off with arrows.

Of course, now since I Homeward Boned out (due to being stuck in the drat wall) I gotta take on the Pusuer mano-a-fisto to get to the next bonfire. :sigh:

Well, like I said I'm doing it super early. I can fight the anime knights fine up until I run out of stamina, which is rather fast, and then I'll usually get hit. Maybe you did it early too though and are just a far better pugilist than I!

I'm not even gonna try to beat Smelter. All I want is my turtle suit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Which one of you dickheads spammed 'impossible!' around the Iron Keep elevator? :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gortarius posted:

If you beat the Last Giant, you can beat the Giant Lord.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

Well, like I said I'm doing it super early. I can fight the anime knights fine up until I run out of stamina, which is rather fast, and then I'll usually get hit. Maybe you did it early too though and are just a far better pugilist than I!

I'm not even gonna try to beat Smelter. All I want is my turtle suit.

Oh, OIK's gonna be my second Primal Soul, so kinda-sorta early. Managed to pump my fists to +10 thanks to lucky drops and bell-browing, and get 40 STR (working on DEX now) though so maybe not too early. I'm at the point where I kill every single Alonne knight/captain in 2 fist combos.

Edit: and I can 2-combo the turtle dudes too which is awesome. :D

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah if you're a caster you're basically hosed because you can't keep an eye on him and the bombs at the same time. You can memorize where they're coming from or you can just have enough health to face tank a hit and hope the boss doesn't murder you before you can heal. Or vice versa and you (somehow, probably because you're checking the sky for fireballs) get hit by his shockwave and then a rock falls on your head. It's absolutely the stupidest thing in the entire game, and that's including the Prowling Magus and Congregation.

It's not even hard, it's just utter poo poo. It looks cool and all but gently caress those fireballs, seriously.

If you're a caster, the fight is actually super easy. There's a ledge directly to his left that you can stand on to cast. Only one of his attacks can even hit it and it's easily avoided. I never got hit by any of the rocks on that ledge either, so it was basically just "cast Great Resonant Soul until dead."

Before that, I know there's at least one spot on another ledge that never gets hit by anything, so you can just hang out there until all the smaller guys are dead.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Vengarr posted:

Ye olde favorite, the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, can be had in the Iron Keep.
A much better Covetous Gold Serpent Ring can be found by Bonfire Ascetic-ing the Servant's Room bonfire in the Bastille and refighting the Belfry Gargoyles. It supposedly gives twice as much item find as the regular version.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Should have summoned Berhardt, he basically half killed the guy for me.

He's not killing anything if he gets stuck in the statue head that rolls down! Yeah, that happened to me. It was hilarious, the thing barely put a dent in his health bar too.

Seriously though that fight is stupid. The boss is a complete chump on his own so they have this terrible, terrible gimmick of trying to force you into his corner but even then he can barely do anything! And if you don't go toe to toe with him you have to deal with getting hit by fireballs because there's no way you're dodging them without spending like half an hour memorizing the pattern or something.

edit: Come to think of it, a lot of the end game bosses are really easy. Guess False King will remain the only threatening final boss in the series for a while to come.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 1, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Alkydere posted:

Oh, OIK's gonna be my second Primal Soul, so kinda-sorta early. Managed to pump my fists to +10 thanks to lucky drops and bell-browing, and get 40 STR (working on DEX now) though so maybe not too early. I'm at the point where I kill every single Alonne knight/captain in 2 fist combos.

Edit: and I can 2-combo the turtle dudes too which is awesome. :D

Yeah, I haven't even gotten one primal soul on this char since I gunned straight for Iron Keep. Sitting at 300k soul memory and only +4 cauestus. Its not as bad as it sounds since aside from losing 50k souls like an idiot, I've been incredibly efficient with my souls this run. Its still hard to fight the anime knights without getting hit at least once though, depending on if I can stunlock them or not. And the archer room is going to be...interesting.

VVV It gives you a new moveset which is usually better and I believe inflicts more poise damage as well.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 1, 2014

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamn motherfucking Ruin Sentinels. I still haven't seen this boss battle beaten, every room leading up to it in my game is empty now. Two nights in a row now I had to just put the controller down after getting murdered here over and over again. :darksouls:

Edit: What's the deal with this power stance stuff and why is it worth doing?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

A much better Covetous Gold Serpent Ring can be found by Bonfire Ascetic-ing the Servant's Room bonfire in the Bastille and refighting the Belfry Gargoyles. It supposedly gives twice as much item find as the regular version.

You can get that from the merchant in the Iron Keep for spending enough money at his shop.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

explosivo posted:

Goddamn motherfucking Ruin Sentinels. I still haven't seen this boss battle beaten, every room leading up to it in my game is empty now. Two nights in a row now I had to just put the controller down after getting murdered here over and over again. :darksouls:

Yeah, the lead-up to those bastards is half the fight. There's an utterly hilarious short cut that has you jumping from a ledge to a door you opened previously that's almost as dangerous as the path...but at least it's quicker.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can get that from the merchant in the Iron Keep for spending enough money at his shop.

The Merchant gets you +1, the Gargoyles drop +2.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh, that's cruel. It counts as a sin when you complete Creighton and Pate's storyline when one of them dies, so it's impossible to have a full-power Lost Sinner's Sword and have everything... well, OK, unless you get someone to drop you their stuff.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not the Servants Quarters bonfire (that's considered a Lost Bastille area), you need to use the ascetic on the Belfry Luna - Upper Ramparts bonfire immediately after them to respawn the gargoyles.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, the lead-up to those bastards is half the fight. There's an utterly hilarious short cut that has you jumping from a ledge to a door you opened previously that's almost as dangerous as the path...but at least it's quicker.

I was at the point where I could more-or-less rush through to the mist gate killing everybody along the way with little difficulty, but just continue getting owned by the goddamn boss. Now there's not even any enemies between the fire and the boss and I STILL can't beat it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Alkydere posted:

You can just walk right by him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Domattee posted:

The Merchant gets you +1, the Gargoyles drop +2.

Oh, I was under the impression it dropped +1 as well.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Tallgeese posted:

Oh, that's cruel. It counts as a sin when you complete Creighton and Pate's storyline when one of them dies, so it's impossible to have a full-power Lost Sinner's Sword and have everything... well, OK< unless you get someone to drop you their stuff.

Really? I was wondering if that's the case after I killed Creighton for those sweet, sweet gauntlets. That really sucks for my character then - I even have the Sinner's Sword fully upgraded for it! :(

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

explosivo posted:

I was at the point where I could more-or-less rush through to the mist gate killing everybody along the way with little difficulty, but just continue getting owned by the goddamn boss. Now there's not even any enemies between the fire and the boss and I STILL can't beat it.

Use a big heavy shield and a mace. If you don't have a mace, get the craftsman's hammer out from under the chest that McDuff is sitting his fat rear end on (by LIGHTING the nearby torch, not by killing him).

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I have acquired a stabbing implement of utmost magnificence(although it's heavy as gently caress) by handing in the Execution Chariot soul but it requires petrified dragon bone to upgrade, where will I start getting that? Currently at the start of Harvest Valley.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alkydere posted:

Use a big heavy shield and a mace. If you don't have a mace, get the craftsman's hammer out from under the chest that McDuff is sitting his fat rear end on (by LIGHTING the nearby torch, not by killing him).

That'll do, thanks!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Oof. Trying to farm No Man's Wharf for the Sea Bow, and on my fourth run one of the archers dropped an item... which physcs-ed its way between two slightly parted planks of wood flooring. Just sitting there a few feet below on the cement, unreachable.

It's unlikely that it was the bow, but not knowing for sure is maddening.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

explosivo posted:

That fight took me forever. Eventually I backtracked for a 100% physical block shield which helped immensely. The NPC you can summon is really good too, I don't think I could have done it purely solo. At that point I didn't know that helping other people restored your humanity so I was using an effigy after every death, I think I went through almost 30 of them in the end.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people
Is it intentional that some of the little "safe" areas during the Undead Chariot arn't actually safe at all? I've died three times in a row while sitting in the little cubbies, and I am getting really frustrated.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I haven't taken the craftsman's hammer out of my loadout ever since I got it. Well, except to try out the magic mace, which I didn't like as much. That and the estoc do everything I need. It's starting to get a little tedious, honestly. I think I need to spice things up with a gimmick build soon, like double cestus.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

explosivo posted:

You can sprint to the fight from the bonfire you get to after fighting the pursuer pretty easily. My advice is to get the Drangleic Shield and just block like crazy; it makes the fight extremely easy. If you have any pine resin or aromatic goo, those practically double your damage output, too.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

neetengie posted:

Really? I was wondering if that's the case after I killed Creighton for those sweet, sweet gauntlets. That really sucks for my character then - I even have the Sinner's Sword fully upgraded for it! :(

Yup. Apparently if either of them dies )which is obviously guaranteed), you get a sin even if you didn't touch them.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
It's nice that while farming for the Heide Knight set in the Crestfallen's Retreat bonfire that you get at least 6 effigies per ascetic. So far I went up from 17 to 54, all for this drat set.

Tallgeese posted:

Yup. Apparently if either of them dies )which is obviously guaranteed), you get a sin even if you didn't touch them.
Now that's bullshit - I guess if someone wants to be sin free don't bother talking to Creighton at least.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

I have acquired a stabbing implement of utmost magnificence(although it's heavy as gently caress) by handing in the Execution Chariot soul but it requires petrified dragon bone to upgrade, where will I start getting that? Currently at the start of Harvest Valley.

You'll find it here and there in most of the upcoming levels as loot/drops and eventually you'll be able to buy a few. It's also a rare reward from trading smooth & silky stones and petrified somethings in Things Betwixt.

Where you are now, you'll probably find it in Iron Keep first.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Is it intentional that some of the little "safe" areas during the Undead Chariot arn't actually safe at all? I've died three times in a row while sitting in the little cubbies, and I am getting really frustrated.

You probably weren't far enough back? You should be safe in them. 2 People can fit, but 3 is tough and usually means somebody dies.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Man, I wish scaling wasn't as lovely in this game. Quality builds were really fun. :(

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Ugh yeah, there's one in particular on the outer wall that seemed to kill me every other attempt. Some advice I saw was to lower your shield just before the chariot comes by because it makes your hitbox bigger but doesn't prevent any damage. Mash roll as well because I think you can avoid the damage even if you're not in a cubby. Alternatively just stick to the inner wall, I don't think I ever had that happen to me on that side.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

misguided rage posted:

Ugh yeah, there's one in particular on the outer wall that seemed to kill me every other attempt. Some advice I saw was to lower your shield just before the chariot comes by because it makes your hitbox bigger but doesn't prevent any damage. Mash roll as well because I think you can avoid the damage even if you're not in a cubby. Alternatively just stick to the inner wall, I don't think I ever had that happen to me on that side.

Yeah I definitely watched my character roll over the blade on the chariot and took no damage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Manatee Cannon posted:

The bombs don't even fall near the boss though, so they are a non issue unless you're trying to run far away to cheese the boss. The boss is probably one of the easiest in the entire game as a caster, and if you're having trouble as a one, the problem likely lies with you rather than the boss. It's a pretty lovely boss sure, but being too difficult as a caster is definitely not the reason why.