Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is your general's color identity static or dynamic throughout the corse of the game? Can you gift a Celestial Dawn to a non white player and shut him down?

Which is why I run it in my Zedruu deck. It fixes color problems for me, and I have the chance to soft lock someone put of a game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I just now realized that the Auriok are called that because their metal bits are gold. I really should have figured that out sooner.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Lord of Hats posted:

I just now realized that the Auriok are called that because their metal bits are gold. I really should have figured that out sooner.

:aaaaa: holy poo poo

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013
CFB is streaming a limited review of Journey with LSV, Cheon, Wrapter and Mashi at http://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball, and its pretty funny. I just learned that Interpret the Signs is literally the new Contract from Below

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I don't know if anyone else cares for Hyperbole and a Half, but I find this to be quite entertaining.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

sponszi posted:

CFB is streaming a limited review of Journey with LSV, Cheon, Wrapter and Mashi at http://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball, and its pretty funny. I just learned that Interpret the Signs is literally the new Contract from Below

You have a comma at the end of the url; thanks for the information, though!

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Which is why I run it in my Zedruu deck. It fixes color problems for me, and I have the chance to soft lock someone put of a game!

Finally my colorless edh deck (Reaper King) is worthwhile.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

sponszi posted:

Always entertaining to here Cheon straight talk vs LSV jokes. Even discussed God packs...

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Stinky Pit posted:

This doesn't happen. Not with Imperial Seal not with SCG and Underground Sea or whatever imagined conspiracy the MTG community thinks is happening. It's not a good way to make money when you're a retailer with the kind of presence that CFB or SCG has. In order to accomplish the goal of getting to set your own price you'd have to spend so much time and money. You'd be better served selling every Imperial Seal you bought at 100 dollars, for 150, then you would be buying enough Imperial Seals that you could then sell a few for 800 now and again. If the demand didn't exist to take the price past 150 normally, sure you might be able to strong arm a few sales at 800 but your sales are going to be much much lower.

CFB charges 800 dollars for the card because when they want to buy it from someone else it costs them 400+ dollars, not because they have a secret chest at their headquarters with 3000 copies.

It's easy to think "Well if I have every copy of a card, I can ask whatever I want for it" but that doesn't mean youll make money. If I somehow got my hands on every single copy of Vizzerdrix in the entire world it might be rare enough that people might be willing to pay a few dollars for it, but I wouldn't be able to sell enough copies to ever make back what I spent getting all those loving cards.

No, Stinky Pit, this is seriously what happened.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So what's the deal with these free events, I was at work all day. Are they all zerg'd full and no chance of playing one?

I thought they'd be firing off in MODO or something, bleh.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped
They all filled within three minutes. Turns out there's a pretty high demand for free money.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

a dozen swans posted:

Finally my colorless edh deck (Reaper King) is worthwhile.

Reaper King has a color identity of all five colors.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Stinky Pit posted:

This doesn't happen. Not with Imperial Seal not with SCG and Underground Sea or whatever imagined conspiracy the MTG community thinks is happening. It's not a good way to make money when you're a retailer with the kind of presence that CFB or SCG has. In order to accomplish the goal of getting to set your own price you'd have to spend so much time and money. You'd be better served selling every Imperial Seal you bought at 100 dollars, for 150, then you would be buying enough Imperial Seals that you could then sell a few for 800 now and again. If the demand didn't exist to take the price past 150 normally, sure you might be able to strong arm a few sales at 800 but your sales are going to be much much lower.

CFB charges 800 dollars for the card because when they want to buy it from someone else it costs them 400+ dollars, not because they have a secret chest at their headquarters with 3000 copies.

It's easy to think "Well if I have every copy of a card, I can ask whatever I want for it" but that doesn't mean youll make money. If I somehow got my hands on every single copy of Vizzerdrix in the entire world it might be rare enough that people might be willing to pay a few dollars for it, but I wouldn't be able to sell enough copies to ever make back what I spent getting all those loving cards.

I bet you really think DeBeers works really hard at mining those diamonds too.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
So I poked around and noticed there really wasn't a good way to get the difference between two decklists. I threw something together real quick but don't have a frontend for it...is this something people might be interested in?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Shavnir posted:

So I poked around and noticed there really wasn't a good way to get the difference between two decklists. I threw something together real quick but don't have a frontend for it...is this something people might be interested in?

If only because I would like to say "deck differ" as often as possible yeah, sure.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

What a Judas posted:

No, Stinky Pit, this is seriously what happened.

Just to be clear, you are saying CFB initiated some buyout of Imperial Seals? Do you have any additional information? I'm really curious.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

MTGO has been running on the same Pentium 4 Inspiron tower since 2002. "Downtime" is when they have to reboot it.

Please tell me this is a joke. Please, please, please.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Please tell me this is a joke. Please, please, please.

Poe's Law: Wizards of the Coast Edition

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Look jerry, it's literally impossible for me to tell when it comes to MTGO.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

jassi007 posted:

Just to be clear, you are saying CFB initiated some buyout of Imperial Seals? Do you have any additional information? I'm really curious.

Basically, yes. I don't have all of the details but it's somewhat common knowledge in the dealer community. CFB bought out the available Seals.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Look jerry, it's literally impossible for me to tell when it comes to MTGO.

It really is at this point. I'm rather curious about their hosting situation. They're the only company I know not running a massive MMO or something that requires six hours of downtime every bloody week for no apparent reason.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What a Judas posted:

Basically, yes. I don't have all of the details but it's somewhat common knowledge in the dealer community. CFB bought out the available Seals.

I wish we had a source for this, 'common knowledge' stories are rarely good for convincing anyone.

I know for a fact I read a story about the dude who cornered the market on MODO dual lands, but I can't find that now, either.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge that Richard Gere fed his gerbils Imperial Seals and then launched them up the ole tube for safe-keeping.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Fox of Stone posted:

I bet you really think DeBeers works really hard at mining those diamonds too.

There's a massive difference between DeBeers, a cartel that includes nearly everyone involved in the mining of Diamonds and CFB, a single retailer or an individual cornering something like the MTG market.

What a Judas posted:

That's what people say all the time "I have literally zero evidence but it totally happened" its not very convincing.

Especially because if it worked there are a lot of cards just like Imperial Seal that are prime targets for a similar scheme and yet its not happening.

Either way a single corner case isn't a convincing argument for "speculators are responsible for prices" when there is so many other cases where we can point out the speculator impact was incredibly short lived and at most inconvenienced a player for a couple of days.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 1, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Stinky Pit posted:

Especially because if it worked there are a lot of cards just like Imperial Seal that are prime targets for a similar scheme and yet its not happening.

Maybe you haven't seen what SCG did to Misty Rainforests.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Maybe you haven't seen what SCG did to Misty Rainforests.

Misty and all the fetches had been steadily climbing for a long time and its final jump from 60-70 to 100 coincided with the biggest Modern tournament of the year, its not a conspiracy.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Whether or not hate directed at the sites is unwarranted, it would be ridiculous to assume that the big vendors don't have a hand in making sure the staples for their respective formats get proper price corrections and profit hugely by doing so.

In fact, I believe a similar incident happened with the components of Mono-Blue devotion and is responsible for the current state of team sponsorships with american megateams.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zoness posted:

Whether or not hate directed at the sites is unwarranted, it would be ridiculous to assume that the big vendors don't have a hand in making sure the staples for their respective formats get proper price corrections and profit hugely by doing so.
Correct

quote:

In fact, I believe a similar incident happened with the components of Mono-Blue devotion and is responsible for the current state of team sponsorships with american megateams.
this is :tinfoil: though. There's just too much product being opened nowadays to influence prices on cards printed after Scars block.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Stinky Pit posted:

Misty and all the fetches had been steadily climbing for a long time and its final jump from 60-70 to 100 coincided with the biggest Modern tournament of the year, its not a conspiracy.

A tournament where scg paid people more for their fetches than they could get at other vendors, causing people to sell their fetches to scg so they would have a larger market share. And then they raised the prices.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

uggy posted:

A tournament where scg paid people more for their fetches than they could get at other vendors, causing people to sell their fetches to scg so they would have a larger market share. And then they raised the prices.

So they're bad people for offering more money for a card, then making some profit off of them? Those FUCKERS!

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Tharizdun posted:

Correct
this is :tinfoil: though. There's just too much product being opened nowadays to influence prices on cards printed after Scars block.

I think he's talking about the rumour that the real reason Team Pantheon switched sponsors from SCG to CFB after Pro Tour Theros is because Evan Erwin found out the team was going to be running Mono-Blue Devotion, and tried to buy up the deck's important components (namely Master of Waves and Thassa) from other retailers before the tour started, on the assumption that they'd spike as soon as the constructed portions started airing. What actually happened is that retailers talked to each other and realized what was happening, so SCG's "secret" tech got leaked to most of the other teams in the tournament

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

jassi007 posted:

So they're bad people for offering more money for a card, then making some profit off of them? Those FUCKERS!

Man i didnt say any of that

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

jassi007 posted:

That's kinda moving the goalposts there. The point was large buys can have a substantial impact on singles prices.

If we want to take it back to Ghave, by the way, April 19 it jumped from 3 bucks TCG mid to 12.50. Since then it's dropped to about 9. So the question to me is how much of the spike will sustain itself and how much fades away. If it holds, a player is paying six extra bucks to earn a speculator 75 cents, with the rest of the money being eaten by retailers and shipping. If it doesn't hold, it's a game of pump-and-dump with the challenge being finding a greater fool who believes the new prices reflect reality.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

uggy posted:

Being larger definitely gives you advantages (like having a better idea of demand trends) but it could be that SCG noticed they were having trouble keeping fetches in stock so they aggressively restocked by offering a higher buylist and then listed at a higher price to meet the new supply/demand equilibrium. I don't see anything nefarious in this. It seems to me other retailers that were offering lower buylists were slower to adjust.

If they had their existing inventory sitting there and just raised prices for no reason but to screw over the anticipated increase in modern players, then that would be different but then no one would buy from SCG. Theres alot of players in the MTG singles market and a lot of fetches floating around so people will just buy from others.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

uggy posted:

Man i didnt say any of that

What are you saying then? I don't get it, unless you were just giving us a historical recollection of the recent price history of modern blue fetches?

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

TicalStal posted:

Being larger definitely gives you advantages (like having a better idea of demand trends) but it could be that SCG noticed they were having trouble keeping fetches in stock so they aggressively restocked by offering a higher buylist and then listed at a higher price to meet the new supply/demand equilibrium. I don't see anything nefarious in this. It seems to me other retailers that were offering lower buylists were slower to adjust.

If they had their existing inventory sitting there and just raised prices for no reason but to screw over the anticipated increase in modern players, then that would be different but then no one would buy from SCG. Theres alot of players in the MTG singles market and a lot of fetches floating around so people will just buy from others.

Not necessarily; it's usually against the ground rules to sell cards to people other than dealers at events, and while there are ways around that, it does stop a lot of people who would otherwise sell. And it's a lot harder to find a buyer once you're out of the tournament setting, and most people would rather take a slight hit to the price they get to get guaranteed cash from a dealer rather than deal with Ebay or whatever.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

jassi007 posted:

What are you saying then? I don't get it, unless you were just giving us a historical recollection of the recent price history of modern blue fetches?

I was responding to this:

Stinky Pit posted:

My comment was that the fetches rose unnaturally in a short period of time because a company determined to buy as many of them and raise prices. I didn't say they were bad or evil or FUCKERS or whatever you said. The fact that a lot of speculated cards have jumped very quickly and then fallen afterwards shows that the price raises aren't in any way natural, that an outside force is changing the prices.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

uggy posted:

I was responding to this:

My comment was that the fetches rose unnaturally in a short period of time because a company determined to buy as many of them and raise prices. I didn't say they were bad or evil or FUCKERS or whatever you said. The fact that a lot of speculated cards have jumped very quickly and then fallen afterwards shows that the price raises aren't in any way natural, that an outside force is changing the prices.

Lets play pretend. You are in charge of stocking singles for what is shaping up to be one of the top 5 largest magic events ever. You want to have a lot of product to sell. Prices of a key card, fetchlands have been rising steadily the last 3 months, and are currently at about $65-70. Your current stock is not sufficient, and with the expected flow from your buylist you will not have enough of them on hand to meet your anticipated demand. What do you do?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mince Pieface posted:

Not necessarily; it's usually against the ground rules to sell cards to people other than dealers at events, and while there are ways around that, it does stop a lot of people who would otherwise sell. And it's a lot harder to find a buyer once you're out of the tournament setting, and most people would rather take a slight hit to the price they get to get guaranteed cash from a dealer rather than deal with Ebay or whatever.

In the grand scheme of how many of a card get bought sold or traded each weekend worldwide this is entirely inconsequential. There are hundreds of online retailers, thousands if you include dusty old flgs.

If the new price were above whatever the 'natural' price ought to be, i.e. gouging, then everyone else would under cut them and demand would be satisfied at that existing price.

Instead, prices went up everywhere because there actually is demand at the new price. Because that's the correct price for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

uggy posted:

SCG is not an outside force. They are just as much as part of the "market" as anyone else and their buy prices are a "natural" part of the market.

• Locked thread