Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Yeah, my biggest concern with Kelvin Benjamin is that, unless the play is designed to go to him, he just doesn't give a poo poo. Martavis Bryant is a year younger, actually gives an effort on most plays, and probably won't go before the middle of round 2. I'd say he's a much safer bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I wouldn't touch Kelvin Benjamin in the first round, even at 30. With so many drat receivers in this class let somebody else take that bullet.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I wouldn't touch Kelvin Benjamin in the first round, even at 30. With so many drat receivers in this class let somebody else take that bullet.

Jets?

Jets.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

He has a whole article with a ton of anon scout quotes and such:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-wide-receivers-and-tight-ends-b99258025z1-257423561.html

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Diodeous posted:

I think it was sportsonearth or footballoutsiders that did a piece on Cook's weaknesses but essentially they focused heavily on the Oregon game where he faced off against Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (who is considered a first round talent for 2015). Cooks really struggled against press coverage and his lack of reach and arm strength showed up with an inability to get good separation. I really felt like the article was more showing how crazy good Ifo is, but the authors really were speculative about whether Cooks could find success against an NFL quality DB

I feel like the Chiefs offense is designed for this not to be a problem at all. IF the comparison with Percy Harvin is accurate I am salivating at the thought. C'mon Philly, take a QB and pass on this guy.

quote:

Positives: Shorter than scouts would like, but has a strong, compact build. Rare straight-line speed. Rare elusiveness. Can make defenders miss in tight quarters. Good vision when running in space. Sets up his blocks well and can cut back against the grain. Good agility as a route-runner. Strong, secure hands for the reception. Courageous going over the middle. Gathers in the pass and quickly moves upfield to maximize production. Can extend outside of his frame to make the spectacular reception. Versatile athlete who can contribute as a receiver, running back and shows great potential as a returner, although he never attempted a kick or punt return at Florida. Has struggled with durability, but is considered a physically tough player.

Negatives: Looks shorter on film than his listed 5-11. Many of his plays in this offense were slip screens designed to get him the ball quickly and in space. Could struggle acclimating to a more pro-style offense. Lack of success at the NFL level from former receivers from Meyer's offense is troubling. Has struggled with durability. Missed practice time in 2008 with ankle, hip pointer and tendonitis in his knee and heel.

Sounds similar.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Grozz Nuy posted:

God, I wanted Ekpre-Olomu so bad. Why didn't he declare this year? :(

My understanding is that he received a 1st round grade, but with this year being so crowded he was likely to slip into the 2nd. If he plays another year at a high level he could potentially be one of the first corners off the board and someone that goes fairly early. From the few games I've seen and highlight videos, he's an incredible player and is someone I would love for the Jaguars to target in the 2015 draft.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Dattserberg posted:

It's true. Don't listen to me, I am broken.

Can you realistically listen to any Lions fan about the Lions?

Answer: No. We're ALL broken.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm kind of worried the Seahawks are going to take him, especially since it seems like a lot of people are warming up to Latimer.

I hope I'm wrong and they end up landing someone like Joel Bitonio. Cooks would be cool too, but I'm thinking his size would keep them away.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Coldforge posted:

Yeah, my biggest concern with Kelvin Benjamin is that, unless the play is designed to go to him, he just doesn't give a poo poo. Martavis Bryant is a year younger, actually gives an effort on most plays, and probably won't go before the middle of round 2. I'd say he's a much safer bet.

After watching FSU all season I would say this is a pretty accurate assessment. I'm not a fan of his pro prospects.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
please give me dennard in the first and allen robinson in the second. jordan matthews or davante adams would also be cool in that spot

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schwack posted:

I'm kind of worried the Seahawks are going to take him, especially since it seems like a lot of people are warming up to Latimer.

I hope I'm wrong and they end up landing someone like Joel Bitonio. Cooks would be cool too, but I'm thinking his size would keep them away.

It is a first round pick anyway, who cares?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
All the smoke and mirrors bullshit on Bridgewater is just getting out of control. I have to believe this is all the Texans trying to force him to the second round so they can take Clowney first, there's no way any scouting departments out there actually believes any of it.

What happened to you, Mayock? :comeback:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Teddy B is -120 to go in the first round. Easy money?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Intruder posted:

I don't bet, so I have no idea what that means. You get 1.20 if you bet 1.00 that he goes in the first?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I might be saying it backwards. You get $100 for every $120 you bet on him to go in the first

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Intruder posted:

I might be saying it backwards. You get $100 for every $120 you bet on him to go in the first

Regardless of how that works, I'd say he and JFF are locks for top 15 picks. If the Texans pass on him, someone is going to take him in that range. Teddy deserves the pick, JFF will be too intriguing for someone.

edit: Bridgewater has only one real weakness that stands out, and that's deep accuracy. He can also be inconsistent in his footwork, but that's pretty much all young QBs. If those are the only things you need to work on with a 21 year old QB, that's a drat good pick. He's absolutely custom made for a west coast style offense.

edit 2: Best game to watch to see his pros and cons is the Ohio game. Nails his timing throws, nails his throws to the outside, has problems hitting deep passes over the middle (especially deep crossing routes, he tends to throw behind). Good scrambling and vision. Supernatural pocket awareness. His issues are all minor and correctable, especially for his age.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 1, 2014

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Intruder posted:

So if I bet $120, I get $220 back if I win, and $0 if I lose?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nawid posted:

So if I bet $120, I get $220 back if I win, and $0 if I lose?

If you bet $100, you get $120 back, meaning a net gain of 20 dollars for you. If you lose you lose $100.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

swickles posted:

If you bet $100, you get $120 back, meaning a net gain of 20 dollars for you. If you lose you lose $100.

That makes way more sense, thought I was going to make a stupid easy benjamin.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
His bet $120 -> win -> get $220 total back is right, thought.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

swickles posted:

This is wrong, I know that much for sure

A coin flip game is -120 moneyline for both teams

Coldforge posted:

Regardless of how that works, I'd say he and JFF are locks for top 15 picks. If the Texans pass on him, someone is going to take him in that range. Teddy deserves the pick, JFF will be too intriguing for someone.

JFF is I think favored to go 6th or higher

Derek Carr is -140 to go in the first round meaning the Vegas odds are more in favor of him going in the first than Teddy :lol:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 1, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Derek Carr is -140 to go in the first round meaning the Vegas odds are more in favor of him going in the first than Teddy :lol:

That seems hilarious but I learned a long time ago that laughing at Vegas is dangerous. At least if you're actually betting.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I read that ad a positive. My bad.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Intruder posted:

We should get draft bets in saseliminator

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Mike Mayock on Bridgewater posted:

"What I'm hearing is two things. Number one, when we saw him throw live we didn't see arm strength and didn't see accuracy. Number two, when you draft a quarterback in the first round you expect him to be the face of your franchise, you expect him to embrace the moment. I think people had some concerns about whether or not this young man is ready to step up and be the face of a franchise."

What does this nonsense even mean? Pushing the draft back was such a terrible decision.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Schwack posted:

What does this nonsense even mean? Pushing the draft back was such a terrible decision.

It means a ton of people are going to look really loving stupid come October.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It means Teddy is boringly competent so they need to hype up other guys who will drive pageviews

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I hope the extra few weeks mean that no players will bust from this draft class.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I hope the extra few weeks mean that no players will bust from this draft class.

I hope it means they all bust

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Schwack posted:

I think it speaks to his marketability, which is a legitimate concern from an ownership perspective because they are in it to make money. If the rest of the team sucks, they still want to be able to move merchandise. It isn't a fan friendly point of view, but owners will consider it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I mean if I played Madden I'd want my favorite team to pick Johnny Football over Bridgewater.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Butthead posted:

I think it speaks to his marketability, which is a legitimate concern from an ownership perspective because they are in it to make money. If the rest of the team sucks, they still want to be able to move merchandise. It isn't a fan friendly point of view, but owners will consider it.

It kinda makes sense in a jaded way. Philly can't do anything to make Nick Foles the face of the franchise because he's basically Joe Flacco's 'bad influence' friend who makes him eat too many gummy bears and try a red bull.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It kinda makes sense in a jaded way. Philly can't do anything to make Nick Foles the face of the franchise because he's basically Joe Flacco's 'bad influence' friend who makes him eat too many gummy bears and try a red bull.

Counterpoint: Jay Cutler is the unshaven, scowling, flipping-you-off face of the Bears.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

defiantgiant posted:

Counterpoint: Jay Cutler is the unshaven, scowling, flipping-you-off face of the Bears.

Gruden Voice:

Jay Cutler is a tall, big arm quarterback who can stand in the pocket, take a hit, and just throw strikes. I don't think he has the winning attitude, and the leadership required to lead his team all the way to the Superbowl, but you gotta like this guy.

Edit:

Look at this throw, the game's on the line, and he threads the needle inbetween double coverage, and finds his receiver. Not many quarterbacks can do that. He's shown he's got big game capability, but you gotta minimize your mistakes to make it to the next level.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

defiantgiant posted:

It doesn't matter how many reporters Cutler flips off, he's got some kind of Han Solo-style charming rogue thing going on, as opposed to say Roethlisberger's gently caress off creep vibe

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

defiantgiant posted:

Heh heh heh... more like, Jay BUTTler, am I right? Up top! :hfive:

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
There was a lot of talk about the "Face of the Franchise" comments on Jaguars Twitter. There was a guy that Mayock banged the table for in the lead up to the draft. He had all the tools. He looked the part. He was ready to be the face of the franchise. He, was Blaine loving Gabbert. This is Mayocks "Face of the Franchise" in 2011.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Blaine Gabbert is a terrible footall name. :colbert:

It's right up there with Brady Quinn, Blake Bortles, and anyone the Browns have drafted in the last 10 years.

edit: Good god; Chat Henne, Curtis Painter, Ryan Lindly...

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 1, 2014

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

One more loving week ya'll!

I think I'm going to leave this thread until draft day. Don't want to get to drained of draft talk before it even starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

John Brown posted:

One more loving week ya'll!

I think I'm going to leave this thread until draft day. Don't want to get to drained of draft talk before it even starts.

You'd never make it as a sports broadcaster man. Those guys will be hyping the 2015 the draft on May 11th.

• Locked thread