Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Apple Jax posted:

Well, if prune juice is a warrior's drink, I would think beans would be a warrior's food.

Klingons are very regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Apple Jax posted:

Well, if prune juice is a warrior's drink, I would think beans would be a warrior's food.

I take it warriors are meant to be constantly farting and defecating.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

SouthLAnd posted:

I had a dream last night that there was a new season of Enterprise and the NX-01 had got it's weird secondary hull thingy. Only in my dream, the Federation was an immediate failure, starfleet was destroyed, and Enterprise was referred to as the Rogue Ship Enterprise.

It was pretty cool, and now fleeting from memory.

Would watch

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

If prune juice is a warrior's drink, does that mean blood wine tastes mostly like plum wine? Klingons are babies.

Actually yeah, Klingons are babies - they're a warrior race of who Worf is one of the finest warriors, and he's on par with generic average non-combat trained humans, who are known to be weaker, live shorter, run less far and generally do everything besides compromise and make root beer worse than every other alien race. Man, Klingons suck - their chili is probably tins of refried beans, boiled ground beef, and a teaspoon of black pepper because any more would be too spicy for their ickle wickle wrinkley tongues.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Whalley posted:

If prune juice is a warrior's drink, does that mean blood wine tastes mostly like plum wine? Klingons are babies.

Actually yeah, Klingons are babies - they're a warrior race of who Worf is one of the finest warriors, and he's on par with generic average non-combat trained humans, who are known to be weaker, live shorter, run less far and generally do everything besides compromise and make root beer worse than every other alien race. Man, Klingons suck - their chili is probably tins of refried beans, boiled ground beef, and a teaspoon of black pepper because any more would be too spicy for their ickle wickle wrinkley tongues.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

He looks like he just flipped a table because someone put the robber on his space in Catan again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

He looks excited because he's going to My Little Targy-con.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u8HQNG9k2s

This is Worf in that picture.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

I scanned that list, but I don't see the lizard children of lizard Janeway and lizard Paris.

Genetically humanoid!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Whalley posted:

He looks like he just flipped a table because someone put the robber on his space in Catan again.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS GAME. WHICH BONES DO I ROLL IN ORDER TO SLAUGHTER THE SHEEP?

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
While I understand that Francis is a character...he still deserves a bullet.

I thought all Klingon food was like still moving, so why would their chilli have beans in it, unless they were like Klingon jumping fire beans or something horrible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's weird how The Masterpiece Society is like a non-post-apocalyptic version of Fallout.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nissir posted:

I thought all Klingon food was like still moving

Just gagh, it seems. They talk about roast targ and such, so gagh is just the most Klingony thing they eat, like Scots and haggis, Japanese and sea urchin, Aussies and Vegemite, Americans and Crisco...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Americans and Crisco...

The Crisco is of America.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Is heart of targ raw or cooked?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Whalley posted:

Like, every time a non-humanoid existed, they were pretty much straight up bad guys. The Voth, the Caretakers, Species 8472, the Sheliak, always bad. I know it's expensive, but I just wanna see more of those fuckin' weird space chumps.

NO KILL I

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SouthLAnd posted:

I had a dream last night that there was a new season of Enterprise and the NX-01 had got it's weird secondary hull thingy. Only in my dream, the Federation was an immediate failure, starfleet was destroyed, and Enterprise was referred to as the Rogue Ship Enterprise.

It was pretty cool, and now fleeting from memory.

NX-01 doesn't look nearly cool enough to be any kind of rogue ship.

It's really childish of me, but I love the scene where the Constitution-class Defiant just effortlessly takes Columbia apart, like the true star of Star Trek is waking up and slapping down the would-be pretender.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
That makes sense without the symbolism you ascribe to it: that ship is from the comparative far future, so of course it's going to obliterate the weaker ship.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

heart of targ

Unreasoning hope that some hoo-mon, somewhere, can't stop calling it Apocalypse Chow

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Brawnfire posted:

Is heart of targ raw or cooked?

raw of course, why would you want burnt targ meat

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

MisterBibs posted:

That makes sense without the symbolism you ascribe to it: that ship is from the comparative far future, so of course it's going to obliterate the weaker ship.

Right, but it works on two levels!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Fister Roboto posted:

The Crisco is of America.

Janeway shows that what Americans truly enjoy is a burned pot roast.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's really childish of me, but I love the scene where the Constitution-class Defiant just effortlessly takes Columbia apart, like the true star of Star Trek is waking up and slapping down the would-be pretender.

Yep. Also love when they're investigating the 60s-style control panels. You can tell how "sufficiently advanced technology" the doohickeys are because they make no sense.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The best part was seeing the Constitution and NX models side-by-side. The Connie came off as sleek and powerful, while the NX actually looked old and fragile by comparison. That was perhaps the first time in the series that it really looked like a prequel ship.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I've always liked the NX-01 design and the aesthetic of Enterprise in general is a big part of why I enjoyed watching it. Trek fans in general seem to think that (theoretical) starship design has to "evolve" in a purely linear fashion. The NX-01 has the same general structure as a ship that comes 200 years later so CLEARLY it's WRONG. There are a lot of terrible fan designs on the internet that try to interpolate transitional designs in between featured time periods. Like, you have the TMP period with round saucers and then the VOY period with pointy saucers, and then anything that fits in between has to have a saucer with a sphericity in between something in TNG and something in VOY. Or the designs that speculate the lineage of the not-officially-canon Daedalus design that has a spherical hull to the TOS Enterprise. Ship 1 will have a spherical hull, then ship 2 will have a flatter spherical hull, and the next one an even flatter one, etc. until it eventually becomes a saucer. It's stupid.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

It was an upside down Akira. Even the producers said that.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Trickjaw posted:

The Akira is just an upside down NX-01. :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Trickjaw posted:

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

The Akira is just an upside down NX-01. :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He is white on the right side. All his people are white on the right side. :barf:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bread is just raw toast.

Subyng posted:

I've always liked the NX-01 design and the aesthetic of Enterprise in general is a big part of why I enjoyed watching it. Trek fans in general seem to think that (theoretical) starship design has to "evolve" in a purely linear fashion. The NX-01 has the same general structure as a ship that comes 200 years later so CLEARLY it's WRONG.

Yeah, this was especially annoying back when Enterprise was still airing. Countless threads and fansite articles all nitpicking the design for years on end... at least we eventually got a pretty funny rebuttal from Doug Drexler.

And I totally agree about the aesthetic. After 21 seasons of 24th century Star Trek that mostly all looked and felt the same, Enterprise really was a breath of fresh air. That's part of the reason why none of these attempts at new shows with Captain Worf or Tuvok's renegades or whatever appeal to me in the slightest; I'd rather just get Enterprise back for the missing three seasons and call it day.

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 1, 2014

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The NX wouldn't have been shat on so badly if they hadn't straight up lifted exact surface details from the Akira rather than just the basic shape; it came across as lazy. Even the deflector dish feels mashed into the front of the saucer like an afterthought.

The "unofficial" refit with the secondary hull does a lot to beef up the design and make it flow better, plus covering up some of the TNG style glowing blue poo poo.

The rest of the show was the same basic corridors (my god, if the ship is so bloody small why did you make like 5 more corridors than the last show) and rooms built for TMP spraypainted copper with actual flatscreen monitors bolted on. I appreciate all the little nods to TOS the designers thought to include in that stuff but overall it looked very plain visually until they started adding colour and blinkies in the last season.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Delsaber posted:

Bread is just raw toast.

Yeah, this was especially annoying back when Enterprise was still airing. Countless threads and fansite articles all nitpicking the design for years on end... at least we eventually got a pretty funny rebuttal from Doug Drexler.

And I totally agree about the aesthetic. After 21 seasons of 24th century Star Trek that mostly all looked and felt the same, Enterprise really was a breath of fresh air. That's part of the reason why none of these attempts at new shows with Captain Worf or Tuvok's renegades or whatever appeal to me in the slightest; I'd rather just get Enterprise back for the missing three seasons and call it day.

You might want to fix those pics.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I don't have any problems with the NX-01. Internally, the Okudagrams are primitive and blocky, like the difference between Windows 95 and Windows 8. The warp core is suitably huge and looks like an iron lung. The hallways are cramped, especially compared to something like Voyager.

Externally, it has a tiny profile. You can barely tell where the engineering section is from a glance. The tiny catwalk and pylons underline how vulnerable it is. You can tell it's just a saucer section stapled onto some nascelles, and nearly every livable space has been jammed into the saucer section.

Internally and externally it looks and feels like a cross between Zefram Cochrane's first warp vessel and the sleek stuff from TOS onwards.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

The NX wouldn't have been shat on so badly if they hadn't straight up lifted exact surface details from the Akira rather than just the basic shape; it came across as lazy.

No, it would have been 'shat on' for some other reason. It would have been something like "It doesn't adhere to Star Trek aesthetics!" or something else.

The funniest thing about the nerd-rage about it was that they didn't borrow from an iconic star ship design from an iconic series that the audience would recognize. They borrowed a Random Background Ship from Deep Space 9.

TNGTalk: Watching Silicon Avatar, and I think I side with Riker over killing the damned thing. What are you going to say? "Hey, I know you have to consume things to survive, but if you could maybe not eat where you see things with two legs walking around, that'd be great?"?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I really hate the secondary hull refit. That's not a refit. That's a whole new ship class, and a lovely, lazy one at that. A refit is what happened to the Connie; new nacelles, new deflector, replacing the interior decorating with new and modern touches, but the ship is largely the same. The NX-refit guts the entire ship to move the reactor into its own hull, and so much poo poo is done to it that it is no longer the same ship at all.

Plus, it spoils the NX's lines.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I really hate the secondary hull refit. That's not a refit. That's a whole new ship class, and a lovely, lazy one at that. A refit is what happened to the Connie; new nacelles, new deflector, replacing the interior decorating with new and modern touches, but the ship is largely the same. The NX-refit guts the entire ship to move the reactor into its own hull, and so much poo poo is done to it that it is no longer the same ship at all.

Plus, it spoils the NX's lines.

How is the NX refit a "whole new ship class" and the TMP refit not? They specifically state "it's an almost entirely new Enterprise" multiple times in the film and it's clear more has been changed about the innards than just the wallpaper. In fact a lot of early supplemental material lists the refit as an Enterprise class, separate from the existing Constitution. If you're gonna sperg, sperg properly.

MisterBibs posted:

No, it would have been 'shat on' for some other reason. It would have been something like "It doesn't adhere to Star Trek aesthetics!" or something else.

The funniest thing about the nerd-rage about it was that they didn't borrow from an iconic star ship design from an iconic series that the audience would recognize. They borrowed a Random Background Ship from Deep Space 9.

Yes yes, there will always be some contingent of "fans" somewhere that will find fault in some aspect of whatever incarnation of the franchise for dubious reasons. That these people exist isn't really something worth pointing out anymore nor do they magically negate actual, reasonable criticism.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tighclops posted:

How is the NX refit a "whole new ship class" and the TMP refit not? They specifically state "it's an almost entirely new Enterprise" multiple times in the film and it's clear more has been changed about the innards than just the wallpaper. In fact a lot of early supplemental material lists the refit as an Enterprise class, separate from the existing Constitution. If you're gonna sperg, sperg properly.

Because the Connie refit was pretty much the same hull aside from some cosmetic changes. The nx 01 refit adds an entirely new hull. Saying they are the same class is like saying the nebula is the same as the galaxy.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

"Hey, I know you have to consume things to survive, but if you could maybe not eat where you see things with two legs walking around, that'd be great?"?

Taken out of context this sounds like something you'd say to Galactus.

I think the real question would be whether it's worth waiting to decipher a communication with the thing or not, and that's tricky. What are the odds it could be reasoned with? On the other hand, what if blowing it up will lead to reprisal from the Crystalline Empire? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

Yes yes, there will always be some contingent of "fans" somewhere that will find fault in some aspect of whatever incarnation of the franchise for dubious reasons. That these people exist isn't really something worth pointing out anymore nor do they magically negate actual, reasonable criticism.

Except when the "actual, reasonable criticism" is the fans finding dubious faults.

• Locked thread