Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Well, when the Wrexham Board is dancing out front of the Ironworks with a cup in their hand trying to get enough spare change together to buy a cup of lovely whiskey (not scotch, we're way, way past scotch) and play "Freebird" on the jukebox one more time, they'll probably rue this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I can't believe I got fired. I was untouchable! Meanwhile, Arsenal is completely screwed. Their wage budget is now down to about 22m a year, total. They're still 420m in debt. They're going to have to sell everyone. So yes, giving a club a half billion in negative cash will kill them even if they're a megabastard. Arsenal could still recover, but they've already been docked 5 points for the upcoming season. I'm still jobless. I haven't gotten very good job offers.

eta: Scratch that, now I'm getting midtable and non-megabastard top league job offers now that my reputation updated.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 1, 2014

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Could you take a job as a scout or head scout for Arsenal and then send them fake data about prospects so that their youth program is suddenly full of people with palsy?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Trundel posted:

Could you take a job as a scout or head scout for Arsenal and then send them fake data about prospects so that their youth program is suddenly full of people with palsy?

Can only be a head coach. I could certainly edit the Arsenal youth team to include a bunch of Canadians who think they're in hockey camp, though. Aggression 20, Dirtiness 20, Controversy 20.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Those bastards! Is there a way for a team to be owned by the coach? I demand an armed coup in Wrexham!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
This is an amazing turn of events.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Is this cannon???

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So what are the other factors in getting approval for stadiums besides capacity used? Maybe if you got into the Europa League they would have approved the request.

In any case, all I hope is that this gets written in as a bad dream or something cheesy like that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What just happened :stare:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

DOOP posted:

What just happened :stare:

I'm just running some tests, this isn't the actual game. It's just that unlike most of the time when I run it and don't post any screenshots I'm commenting on it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, us lucking into a Europa League spot would be awful, so I'll withdraw my prize request. AJ_Impy's maniacle hatred of Arsenal will have to be taken out on them another way.

I'll bring forth another idea tomorrow.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

habeasdorkus posted:

Can only be a head coach. I could certainly edit the Arsenal youth team to include a bunch of Canadians who think they're in hockey lacrosse camp, though. Pacifism 20, Lumberjack 20, Civility 20.

They'd all get red cards within the first 15 minutes :allears:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I vote you keep the darkest timeline running on the side and just watch Wrexham implode without you.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I agree if it isn't a stupendous amount of work

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

habeasdorkus posted:

Can only be a head coach. I could certainly edit the Arsenal youth team to include a bunch of Canadians who think they're in hockey camp, though. Aggression 20, Dirtiness 20, Controversy 20.

Don't forget high Tackling and I'll accept this scenario. You might as well jack their Strength stat too.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Days of Future Past

My hubris has led us into the end of times :(. What have I wrought?

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, us lucking into a Europa League spot would be awful, so I'll withdraw my prize request. AJ_Impy's maniacle hatred of Arsenal will have to be taken out on them another way.

I'll bring forth another idea tomorrow.

My suggestion is we take the best player in the world, and leave him alone. Then we take the second best player in the world, and leave him alone. Then we take the third best player in the world, and have that poor sucker get hit by a bus.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It won't be, I just have to put myself on vacation and let the game chew through the months. A good thing to have in the background while I wait for the voting period to close.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

DISREGARD, Ex Nihilo saved the day.

And I just hosed up everything.

The autosave saved over the game. I wasn't thinking and didn't realize that my main save was an autosave rather than a regular save file, and would thus be overwritten after three months. The closest to reality is July 16th, 2020, as opposed to the original time line date of May 17th, 2020. I've been fired, and the new Wrexham manager has had 2 months to gently caress everything up. I can fix things, for the most part, but Arsenal still got nuked and Wrexham has lost all of it's coaches and sold a bunch of players. My last correct timeline save is May 5th of 2019, a full year back.

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 1, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Oh Jesus.

Revert. By god revert.

Savescum to the high heavens, but let the timeline be restored!

Also can't help but think this is sort of my fault...

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So how much is still salvageable via editing? I don't want the LP to end like this.

If you keep going and not go back to the beginning of last season, I'm going to imagine that you got attacked by Tackleford supporters and was put in a coma for several months.

Ex Nihilo
Jul 31, 2013

Saviour of Wrexham

habeasdorkus posted:

The autosave saved over the game. I wasn't thinking and didn't realize that my main save was an autosave rather than a regular save file, and would thus be overwritten after three months. The closest to reality is July 16th, 2020, as opposed to the original time line date of May 17th, 2020. I've been fired, and the new Wrexham manager has had 2 months to gently caress everything up. I can fix things, for the most part, but Arsenal still got nuked and Wrexham has lost all of it's coaches and sold a bunch of players. My last correct timeline save is May 5th of 2019, a full year back.

If you right click the overwritten file and select "Restore previous versions" you might be able to recover the old data. I don't own this game so I don't know if this will necessarily work, but it has worked for me for other games. Of course this is assuming you are using a relatively recent version of Windows, although I think that Macs have a similar option.

Ex Nihilo fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 1, 2014

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

habeasdorkus posted:

Ouch. That's really rough. Hopefully it can be saved.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
That's what you get for not compulsively keeping extra save files!

Welp, I guess we're going back in time.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

So how much is still salvageable via editing? I don't want the LP to end like this.

The LP isn't going to end because of this. I actually think I know what I'm going to do. It's frustrating though.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Also can't help but think this is sort of my fault...

It's my fault for not heeding my own thoughts a half dozen times when I was setting up the so-called darkest timeline to save that separately. And even that wouldn't have helped, because I forgot I hadn't made a separate discrete save and was instead repeatedly saving over an autosave spot. But this teaches me to joke about the darkest timeline.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

habeasdorkus posted:

gently caress dude, I'm so sorry :(

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ex Nihilo posted:

If you right click the overwritten file and select "Restore previous versions" you might be able to recover the old data. I don't own this game so I don't know if this will necessarily work, but it has worked for me for other games. Of course this is assuming you are using a relatively recent version of Windows, although I think that Macs have a similar option.

Hang on folks! We're back in business! God bless Windows 7!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 1, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Sky Shadowing out, Ex Nihilo in!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

Sky Shadowing out, Ex Nihilo in!

Seriously. Ex Nihilo, I grant you a minor boon. Restoring is vastly better than pretending that last season was a dream sequence and shooting even harder at European qualification. What would you like me to change?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

habeasdorkus posted:

Seriously. Ex Nihilo, I grant you a minor boon. Restoring is vastly better than pretending that last season was a dream sequence and shooting even harder at European qualification. What would you like me to change?

Looks like he could use a new Avatar with "Saviour of Wrexham" underneath

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Kudos mate

Ex Nihilo
Jul 31, 2013

Saviour of Wrexham

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm glad that it worked out. :)

I don't want to mess with any teams, but since we came back to the past, change the future by killing Sarah Connor getting a bigger stadium.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ex Nihilo posted:

I'm glad that it worked out. :)

I don't want to mess with any teams, but since we came back to the past, change the future by killing Sarah Connor getting a bigger stadium.
Maybe just change the status of the stadium to "we own it now"?

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

If make a change so we own the stadium. It is my thought that we should deduct money so that we pay for it.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
BABA

And stop scaring me.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

quote:

This also means that I can't grant your request to screw over Arsenal, Sky Shadowing. Getting them barred from Europe and watching a Europa League spot fall to us would be incredibly cheesy.

Curses, foiled again Couldn't we avoid this by wrecking Arsenal after the places are handed out?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OBLITERATI :argh:
You aren't a manager, you're a goddamn capofamiglia!

habeasdorkus posted:

And I just hosed up everything...

HABEAS :argh:
Ex Nihilo :glomp:

CABA

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Jaguars! posted:

OBLITERATI :argh:

Wait no you mean some other guy, I'm his... twin?

Hey, put the pitchforks down fellas

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 1, 2014

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I think you should still be fired and now take head coach at Arsenal with 500 million of debt. A constant tide of victory is fun to root for, but let's see some real soul-crushing narrative!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

:stare:

Well, that certainly was a chain of events.

Anyway, blah blah spend money to make money blah blah pump the youth facs up blah blah DABA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
So.. how exactly is it even possible to come in 7th while spending most of the season with a wage budget less than half of the teams being relegated? Are the AI really bad at spending wisely? Is the use of highly specialized players that the game underrates getting you better players for the price than you'd be able to in real life?

• Locked thread