Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I swear to god if one last person wearing a loving Jester's hat survives by a few HP... :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Just got to Black Gulch, did From think that breaking 50 statues is fun? I like fighting monsters.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pivotal Lever posted:

Just got to Black Gulch, did From think that breaking 50 statues is fun? I like fighting monsters.

Just sprint to the second bonfire, don't bother fighting anything. Enjoy a 10 second trek to the (fairly easy) boss fight.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Pivotal Lever posted:

Breaking statues is doing it wrong. Run fast and roll. With this going. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj47pXTCKmU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I just marathoned the game in 13:55 without bonfire rests to get the stupid ring thing, I can't wait to own people with my bad rear end ring, thank you.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
... There are two bonfires in black gulch? There's the one just to the right of the boss door, where's the other?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ignimbrite posted:

... There are two bonfires in black gulch? There's the one just to the right of the boss door, where's the other?

Keep to the ledge on the right side, and past the two worms there should be a small ledge leading to the bonfire.

edit: invading is pretty fun, and guard breaking was pretty useful against a guy with Havel's Shield. Invaded 4 times but lost twice. I forgot about Targray giving out Blue Eye Orbs so I'll need to kill Old Dragonslayer after the Skeleton Lords.

VVVV: As soon as you enter the Black Gulch look to your left.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 1, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

neetengie posted:

Keep to the ledge on the right side, and past the two worms there should be a small ledge leading to the bonfire.

That's the one I found. I thought that was the only one there.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is there a way to make white soapstone signs appear? I need help with a boss and I haven't seen any since before the first.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For all the problems with PvP, at least they didn't decide to bring back the scraping spear.

Ariong posted:

Is there a way to make white soapstone signs appear? I need help with a boss and I haven't seen any since before the first.

As long as your not offline you should be seeing plenty of signs for the first few areas. Where exactly are you?

EDIT: Oh and yeah you have to be fully human to see them.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ariong posted:

Are you human?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Ariong posted:

You need to be fully human. Either use your own whitesoap stone to help out someone else, or use the human effigy consumable.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Mimic posted:

Breaking statues is doing it wrong. Run fast and roll. With this going. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj47pXTCKmU

I like you a lot for this.

quote:

Make sure you're fully human.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ignimbrite posted:

That's the one I found. I thought that was the only one there.

There's one just to the left of the entrance.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I guess I should post my own Fashion Souls update.

I ended up looking like a viking, I dunno. It's pretty great.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Internet Kraken posted:

For all the problems with PvP, at least they didn't decide to bring back the scraping spear.

As long as your not offline you should be seeing plenty of signs for the first few areas. Where exactly are you?

Cardinal Tower.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You need to be fully human. Either use your own whitesoap stone to help out someone else, or use the human effigy consumable.

But the description for the human effigy says that it weakens links to other worlds. I assumed that it was the other way around.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ariong posted:

Cardinal Tower.

But the description for the human effigy says that it weakens links to other worlds.

Don't burn the Effigy, use it in from your inventory.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^ e: f, b :argh: ^

Ariong posted:

But the description for the human effigy says that it weakens links to other worlds. I assumed that it was the other way around.

That's what happens if you burn it in a bonfire; using it as an item restores your humanity.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, ok. Thanks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ariong posted:

If you burn an effigy you block both invaders and summons in an area for a drat long time, you also can't use the white soapstone.

Since invasions never, ever happen since From thought it was a good idea to get rid of a proper invasion orb, NEVER burn a human effigy anywhere.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I'm starting to think about what str weapon I want to upgrade- I've been liking the great club's moveset, but I heard people complain that it got way too fragile when upgrading- should I be holding out for something better?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, I'm starting to think about what str weapon I want to upgrade- I've been liking the great club's moveset, but I heard people complain that it got way too fragile when upgrading- should I be holding out for something better?

Upgrade the Large Club and Great Club, it's all fine, the damage is worth it even if it degrades quickly. Whenever one of your primary weapons is going down too low, just use a small white soapstone and use your secondary to help someone out. Even upgrading the basic club or mace is fine.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Ok, someone tell me that when the Smelter Demon does that sword thrust attack and you get knocked right into and stuck on the geometry of the arena, that's a bug and not complete bullshit?

Otherwise that fight is tough but I guess fair. I just suck at dodge timings cause of his windups. Wish I knew if it was possible for me to stop him switching phases. I swear I staggered him once and he only turned his sword on fire with 1/5 health left. Or it could just be a timer, right?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Since invasions never, ever happen since From thought it was a good idea to get rid of a proper invasion orb, NEVER burn a human effigy anywhere.

I wish there was an orb so that I didn't have to spend 5 minutes waiting for a duel in the brotherhood of blood covenant area to get just one cracked orb. Then I do invade somebody and for whatever reason everybody in the world just walks around with two phantoms summoned at all times.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Met my first hackers today.
Tried do do some Sentinel invading, and after spamming the orb for 5 minutes, got a hacker in full Havels that didn't lose any life no matter how many times I backstabbed him(The damage numbers showed up).

Tried again, and got a guy that weapon swings didn't even show damage numbers for(The weapon hit, and I saw him stagger multiple times, but no damage).

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sober posted:

Ok, someone tell me that when the Smelter Demon does that sword thrust attack and you get knocked right into and stuck on the geometry of the arena, that's a bug and not complete bullshit?

Otherwise that fight is tough but I guess fair. I just suck at dodge timings cause of his windups. Wish I knew if it was possible for me to stop him switching phases. I swear I staggered him once and he only turned his sword on fire with 1/5 health left. Or it could just be a timer, right?

It's a bug. There are certain bosses that causes really hilarious rear end collisions that will send you flying. That unfortunately is one of them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have 30 attunement, a southern ritual band, and the black witch hat. My character has more spell slots than I know what to do with now.

Sober posted:

Yeah that's definitely a bug and as far as I know you can't do anything about it other than not get hit in the first place.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I have 30 attunement, a southern ritual band, and the black witch hat. My character has more spell slots than I know what to do with now.

Yeah that's definitely a bug and as far as I know you can't do anything about it other than not get hit in the first place.

Load them up with multiple copies of Forbidden Sun, Flame Swathe and GRS :getin:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I killed a really big spider and got a really big sword soon after! I think I'd like a little more direction than "kill everything", but this works I guess?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
NG+ for the first time. :dance:

things betwixt no what are you doing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

NG+ for the first time. :dance:

things betwixt no what are you doing

The NG+ NPCs are loving amazing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bobnumerotres posted:

This is the worst of it, really. Not only did they give poison a super buff but you don't have access to good amounts of antidote until AFTER the poison sections are over. Poison resist doesn't do jack loving poo poo, either.

You can buy it from that one dude in the Wharf, I think thats before I ever saw any poison. Except maybe those dark creatures had poison? At least before I ever saw much poison.

My main complaint is that there are lots of sections where you can just run through to get to where you want, the area before Chariot was giving me a hard time, until I learned you can just run past those guys, jump on one of the ledges and they all fall off the bridge and die.

This sort of works for a lot of frustrating sections of the game and then you can just summon a dude with that spell that shoots lightning bolts and cheese whatever boss pretty quick.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 1, 2014

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Got through earthen peak, not too fond of the place. A lot of messages about torches pointed me in the right direction thank god.

Is there anything amazing hidden in that zone? I hope not since it's an annoying place and I'd rather move on.

E: it's also bullshit that my bow can't break pots :colbert:. It's a good thing I always carry a ton of explosives with me.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 1, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Reason posted:

My main complaint is that there are lots of sections where you can just run through to get to where you want, the area before Chariot was giving me a hard time, until I learned you can just run past those guys, jump on one of the ledges and they all fall off the bridge and die.

This sort of works for a lot of frustrating sections of the game and then you can just summon a dude with that spell that shoots lightning bolts and cheese whatever boss pretty quick.

The nerfs to poise and removal of invincibility frames when opening doors and such was to punish just dashing through everything.

While it's harder than DkS/DeS you can still skip like loving everything. The enemies are dumb as hell. Just look at that speedrun where a dude beat the game in under 2 hours, only things he fights are the bosses.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mindblast posted:

Got through earthen peak, not too fond of the place. A lot of messages about torches pointed me in the right direction thank god.

Is there anything amazing hidden in that zone? I hope not since it's an annoying place and I'd rather move on.

E: it's also bullshit that my bow can't break pots :colbert:. It's a good thing I always carry a ton of explosives with me.

You can get some cool stuff from the enemies there. A pretty good headpiece that give + 3 intelligence from the mages. Claws from the Mannequin enemies, and a decent spear and shield from the Grave Wardens.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Iron arrows should break them - do you just have wooden ones?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I cut a hot clip of what was probably my most magnificent death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq4X6ER8beA

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The nerfs to poise and removal of invincibility frames when opening doors and such was to punish just dashing through everything.

While it's harder than DkS/DeS you can still skip like loving everything. The enemies are dumb as hell. Just look at that speedrun where a dude beat the game in under 2 hours, only things he fights are the bosses.

Assuming the speedrun is for DS2, do you (or anyone) have a link handy? I'd actually be interested in that, sounds hilarious.

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

Mindblast posted:

Wooden arrows can't break pots, but Iron arrows can. Also make sure you stop the wheel which drains all the poison pools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Lori posted:

Then I do invade somebody and for whatever reason everybody in the world just walks around with two phantoms summoned at all times.

Rolling with the bros for good'ol bro-op, you're gonna have to try hard to ruin our day :colbert:.

Invaders in king's passage is hilarious, usually pop in just as the host/phantoms are clearing statues and everyone converges onto the poor invader.