Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Carsius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLdBFa3jGZI&t=974s

Not my video, so I don't have a save for it, but I feel this suits the issue pretty well- 30,000 event-spawned troops in year 975. And he magically spawns another 40,000 a bit later. A little much when your levy is a tenth of that.
I think that might be a special case, if it's indeed directly connected with the Rise of the Ghaznavids event. They always get a ridiculous number of troops, but it only happens once, in that one region. It's basically like a horde arrival.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

DarkCrawler posted:

My dynasty won't stop loving

Is that the best you got?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do Muslims not get free imprisonment of male dynasty members anymore? Even on decadent dynasty members it's still saying that it's considered tyranny.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Do Muslims not get free imprisonment of male dynasty members anymore? Even on decadent dynasty members it's still saying that it's considered tyranny.

You only get it if they become decadent and refuse to straighten up after your prompting. It's kinda buggy atm.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Yeah, and sometimes they just wont let you talk to them about it!

It's not perfect. You are bound to get one or two guys you can't talk to. Which leaves you to swallow the bug and the dishonor/tyranny. Or swallow your pride and console them out of existence.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Carsius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLdBFa3jGZI&t=974s

Not my video, so I don't have a save for it, but I feel this suits the issue pretty well- 30,000 event-spawned troops in year 975. And he magically spawns another 40,000 a bit later. A little much when your levy is a tenth of that.

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. I got a notice that my own brother was gathering a host to attack me, so I immediately started a plot to have him killed. The plot sat at 150% power for the next two years without the event chain firing, and before long 30,000 hostile troops magically appeared right on top of my capitol. Like I already said, my personal levies, vassal levies, and retinues totaled around 5,000.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

Finally finished Florida. :toot:

Never really realized how much the Florida Everglades are absolutely devoid of human habitation. It was tricky to just get 8 potential baronies for the county, and I'm sorely tempted to go back and merge them with the Florida Keys' county. As it is, the Everglades have just 1 holding in-game.

Why 8 potential?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Is that the best you got?

Haha, like a third of the game's characters are related to you.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Yeah, and sometimes they just wont let you talk to them about it!

It's not perfect. You are bound to get one or two guys you can't talk to. Which leaves you to swallow the bug and the dishonor/tyranny. Or swallow your pride and console them out of existence.

As far as I know, there's no bugs with decadence, it's just a design issue. If a guy goes decadent you can ask him to cut that poo poo out, and either he does it or you get to imprison him for free. That's all fine, but each character can only be asked to straighten up once, and there are two problem cases:
1) A guy goes decadent again - you've already asked him and can't do it again. You can try to avoid this by landing people that agree to fix their ways, since landed males are less likely to become decadent.
2) Someone else asks them to straighten up and they refuse. Any high ranked dynasty member can ask someone to straighten up, so a Duke could ask a Count to stop being so decadent and the Count could tell him to take a suck. Now the Duke has a free imprison, but the player King does not, and the Duke might not imprison the guy for a variety of reasons. You can try to avoid this by keeping your dynasty member all one level below you, or not having any other vassals between you and them. But they could still ask their kids to straighten up, or if you make them Dukes they may land their family as counts under them.

I rather think anyone of your dynasty with the Decadent trait and the Asked to straighten up flag should be a free imprison for the topliege, but even without that do note that imprisoning a decadent character only gives a -10 tyranny penalty, not -40 like normal. Even if they are not of your dynasty.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So close to having a 30 martial leader!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

Why 8 potential?
That's the number of potential de jure baronies every county has in vanilla, regardless of the holding limit defined in each individual province file. I figured that there was a reason for that and going under 8 would disturb the dark gods of modding, cause a plague of locusts to descend o'er the land, etc.

Plus the more de jure baronies are defined, the more name variety there is in auto-generated courtiers.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

Darkrenown posted:

As far as I know, there's no bugs with decadence, it's just a design issue. If a guy goes decadent you can ask him to cut that poo poo out, and either he does it or you get to imprison him for free. That's all fine, but each character can only be asked to straighten up once, and there are two problem cases:
1) A guy goes decadent again - you've already asked him and can't do it again. You can try to avoid this by landing people that agree to fix their ways, since landed males are less likely to become decadent.
2) Someone else asks them to straighten up and they refuse. Any high ranked dynasty member can ask someone to straighten up, so a Duke could ask a Count to stop being so decadent and the Count could tell him to take a suck. Now the Duke has a free imprison, but the player King does not, and the Duke might not imprison the guy for a variety of reasons. You can try to avoid this by keeping your dynasty member all one level below you, or not having any other vassals between you and them. But they could still ask their kids to straighten up, or if you make them Dukes they may land their family as counts under them.

I rather think anyone of your dynasty with the Decadent trait and the Asked to straighten up flag should be a free imprison for the topliege, but even without that do note that imprisoning a decadent character only gives a -10 tyranny penalty, not -40 like normal. Even if they are not of your dynasty.

That's why I don't bother persuading them anymore, I invoke Kafir all the time and imprison them. What my prison is filled with 60 inmates all of my dynasty? Yeah it's my little petting zoo. If someone fo these little fuckers complains - it's the oubliette for him! :getin:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

That's the number of potential de jure baronies every county has in vanilla, regardless of the holding limit defined in each individual province file. I figured that there was a reason for that and going under 8 would disturb the dark gods of modding, cause a plague of locusts to descend o'er the land, etc.

Plus the more de jure baronies are defined, the more name variety there is in auto-generated courtiers.

Extra potential baronies beyond the province limit are indeed just cosmetic naming differences. If a province can have just 2 holdings, it only needs 2 to function. If it had 8, then the newly-built second holding will randomly pick from the 7 available.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

So close to having a 30 martial leader!

I watched my sister play CK2 last week, and she had a random female courtier with a martial of like 54 or something. :staredog: She had the +20 Martial "Gets military advice from Jesus" thing on top of already fantastic martial traits. Never seen an ability that high, and I've eugenics'd some impressive kings.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I've just had a wierd bug which has just occurred I was holy warring the Ivarings for East Anglia as Wessex, they were the only ones in the war and yet when they marched in with attached stacks from Jorivk and the Danish princes all the Norse troops attacked not just the Islander troops.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Welp, got the Cthulhu event with my lunatic son, got the godslayer trait... and shut down the game, not having made a proper save before it all went down. Now my entire realm is freaking out at my lunatic leader, still, instead of worshipping his insane Old One-murdering self.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rumda posted:

I've just had a wierd bug which has just occurred I was holy warring the Ivarings for East Anglia as Wessex, they were the only ones in the war and yet when they marched in with attached stacks from Jorivk and the Danish princes all the Norse troops attacked not just the Islander troops.

Are you sure the Ivarings and the Danish princes were not allies in another war?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Torrannor posted:

Are you sure the Ivarings and the Danish princes were not allies in another war?

Yes but they were none hostile towards me and when the Islanders broke away from them they acted as normal neutral troops.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rumda posted:

Yes but they were none hostile towards me and when the Islanders broke away from them they acted as normal neutral troops.

If allied armies are in the same province while one of the armies is attacked, they will defend as one even if the other allies are not part of the first ally's war.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Torrannor posted:

If allied armies are in the same province while one of the armies is attacked, they will defend as one even if the other allies are not part of the first ally's war.

Yes but THEY were attacking.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On something related to that, in my Zoroastrian game I just had my third holy war a vassal has declared on an enemy that I have a truce with. Are there ways to prevent them from doing this, and/or can I help them without just assassinating the enemy and declaring war on his heir? (Not that I don't want to do that, it's just that when all your enemy's vassals hate you for being an infidel it's hard to plot against them most of the time, and meanwhile hired assassinations are more expensive than I can usually afford and really unlikely to work.)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

On something related to that, in my Zoroastrian game I just had my third holy war a vassal has declared on an enemy that I have a truce with. Are there ways to prevent them from doing this, and/or can I help them without just assassinating the enemy and declaring war on his heir? (Not that I don't want to do that, it's just that when all your enemy's vassals hate you for being an infidel it's hard to plot against them most of the time, and meanwhile hired assassinations are more expensive than I can usually afford and really unlikely to work.)

Absolute crown authority prevents your vassals from being able to declare war on their own.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vastakaiun posted:

I watched my sister play CK2 last week, and she had a random female courtier with a martial of like 54 or something. :staredog: She had the +20 Martial "Gets military advice from Jesus" thing on top of already fantastic martial traits. Never seen an ability that high, and I've eugenics'd some impressive kings.

I hope she was playing Cathars, because if I had someone like that and wasn't already a heretic I would be tearing up the character finder in an attempt to find a new spouse/chaplain/whatever to convert me.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Bwahaha, this was pretty glorious.

My plans to unite Nubia were at complete standstill after I got the lone counties conquered, and then of course Abyssinia decided to take my duchy too. And instead of being smart and immediately hiring mercenaries I first got my own army killed and got myself into a situation where even the mercs were outmatched. And then the other big Nubian duchy and one county decides it's payback time for all those claims I pushed.

And I have that one small mercenary army that I can afford to keep for months, which gives me a breather with the other Nubians but can do gently caress all about the twice as large Abyssinian army.

Then the whole loving region explodes. There's a suddenly a huge Monophysite rebellion right at the border in Abyssinia, which annihilates the Abyssinian army conquering my counties there. So I manage to reconquer those and bring the warscore back to zero from something like -85. And just about to take out the other invading armies too before I ran out of money and had to get rid of the mercenaries. So I bring those warscores slightly to the plus side, but have no army to go anywhere fast from there.

Then the last duchy decides to attack my enemies, takes out the rest of their guys, has a rebellion to install me as their leader, which happens pretty quick since all their guys died too and the rebels immediately win. Abyssinia eventually gets tired of the stalemate and declares white peace.

I am the King of Nubia now.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 30, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Just a quick question: is having the Hungarian culture enough for the tribal invasion CB or is that just a Tengri thing? I just started a Magyar game with the intention of converting to Judaism and using the event troops granted from creating Hungary to rush all the way to the Levant to recreate Israel and I'm just wondering whether I have to do this the hard way (i.e. using holy wars instead of tribal invasions).

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Ratpick posted:

Just a quick question: is having the Hungarian culture enough for the tribal invasion CB or is that just a Tengri thing? I just started a Magyar game with the intention of converting to Judaism and using the event troops granted from creating Hungary to rush all the way to the Levant to recreate Israel and I'm just wondering whether I have to do this the hard way (i.e. using holy wars instead of tribal invasions).

Only as tengri/pagans have I been able to declare full country invasions as the Magyar, every other I've played with over the last week were purely province to province.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Toadsniff posted:

Only as tengri/pagans have I been able to declare full country invasions as the Magyar, every other I've played with over the last week were purely province to province.

Alright, good to know. In that case I might hold off on converting to Judaism for as long as I don't need to so I can invade everything in the way at liberty.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Dammit Paradox fix the Rome bug :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there somewhere I can volunteer to come to the aid of my allies or do they have to request it?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I hope she was playing Cathars, because if I had someone like that and wasn't already a heretic I would be tearing up the character finder in an attempt to find a new spouse/chaplain/whatever to convert me.

I'm betting she got the Joan of Arc event and the courtier also had like, every virtue and celibate.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there somewhere I can volunteer to come to the aid of my allies or do they have to request it?

You can offer to join in the diplomacy menu, but not all wars are eligible. Not sure what the rules are but you can't join most, perhaps all, civil wars.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Allyn posted:

You can offer to join in the diplomacy menu, but not all wars are eligible. Not sure what the rules are but you can't join most, perhaps all, civil wars.

You can join the wars of your allies, or co-religionists defending against religious wars.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just joined the Pope in defense against a HRE antipope as duke of the Aquitaine (subject to the king of France).

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
Converting every single county in Britain to Cathar was fun. After a century of female empresses ruling, I thought it fit flavor-wise to do some very light modding and enable Enatic succession. The rebellion that followed was epic indeed, but ended up being solved mostly by my 85 year old empress dying and being replaced by her Attractive granddaughter.

Also, I ended up creating a new Cathar realm by accident after converting a Finnish princess by marrying her to one of my sons, and she somehow took the Finnish throne. She managed to convert some of her dukes before being murdered, but she did have a son right before dying. For some reason, the Finns seemed to hate their new foreign, heretic, short reign king. Fortunately, he has me to put down the constant, constant rebellions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My character just caught her husband cheating on her with her sister. Relatedly, there should really be a "She-Wolf" nickname.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ratpick posted:

Alright, good to know. In that case I might hold off on converting to Judaism for as long as I don't need to so I can invade everything in the way at liberty.

The rules for tribal invasion are:

• You are a special character, like Seljuk Seljuk
  • You are in the Altaic or Magyar culture group and are a Pagan
  • You have a horde culture and are not Christian

For reference, the Mongols and the Aztecs are the only horde cultures.
So if you hold off converting from Pagan long enough for the Mongols to turn up, you could convert your culture to Mongolian and convert your religion to Judaism and still keep the tribal invasion CB.

The ridiculous thing is that you can go Jain and keep the tribal invasion CB, while still having a ridiculously stable realm.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, out of curiosity, what are some good mods for this? The OP says that CK2+ isn't updating anymore but I swear I heard people talking about it more recently than that. Could be wrong though.

Also, semi-related, how on earth does multiplayer work in this? Can anyone pause it or does it just chug along the same for everyone, or something else? It seems like it would be rather frustrating either way, though if you have voice chat or something you could at least warn about upcoming pauses and stuff.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Roland Jones posted:

So, out of curiosity, what are some good mods for this? The OP says that CK2+ isn't updating anymore but I swear I heard people talking about it more recently than that. Could be wrong though.

CK2+ got picked up by another group. The latest version of it is not updated to the latest patch yet (you could roll back to the last supported patch though). The Historical Immersion Project seems to be updated? There's a bunch of bits and I don't know what is and isn't updated. Lux Invicta might be good? I haven't put much time into it. It has an updated version that still uses the old map, I got it from a link in its thread somewhere, but I'm pretty sure they intend to use the expanded map too, they just haven't got that all out yet. Game of Thrones and Middle Earth both have versions for the latest patch.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gotcha, thanks. Knew about the GoT mod and was thinking of trying it eventually, but the other things are good to know.

Couple more questions. First, I remember Sorites making his daughter his heir in his Zoroastrian LP despite (I think) him having other sons. Is that an option in elective nibarcies even if your laws aren't absolute cognatic, or am I just misremembering the "other sons" bit?

Also, for CK2+, how do Zoroastrians fare in it? The holy war changes seem like they might be a drawback, but on the other hand being able to start with 100 piety thanks to Xwedodah and then get more piety through warfare while your enemies can't declare an offensive war on you for a while and can only try to stop you from taking their stuff might actually buff their early game, which is presently "declare holy war immediately or pray you don't have it happen to you". (It will, Shah Nasr is an rear end in a top hat, take Khiva from him immediately because Khiva is a seven barony county and also gently caress that dude.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

catlord posted:

CK2+ got picked up by another group. The latest version of it is not updated to the latest patch yet (you could roll back to the last supported patch though). The Historical Immersion Project seems to be updated? There's a bunch of bits and I don't know what is and isn't updated. Lux Invicta might be good? I haven't put much time into it. It has an updated version that still uses the old map, I got it from a link in its thread somewhere, but I'm pretty sure they intend to use the expanded map too, they just haven't got that all out yet. Game of Thrones and Middle Earth both have versions for the latest patch.

Historical Immersion Project is currently pretty solid. It feels like they fixed a lot of the issues in the most recent version, like the autonomy faction rebelling every time they get too big (at least it made Blood in the Bosporus pretty interesting :v:)

EDIT: Can't recommend the SWMH module though. It's legendarily poo poo.

beefart fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 1, 2014

• Locked thread