Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

shrike82 posted:

I wouldn't really call India a libertopia. If anything, it trends the opposite end with too much government intervention.

Oh please not at all. There's no laws protecting workers, the environment, no building codes, and whatever beurocracy you come across can be bypassed with bribes.

They don't even have a functioning court system. There's still land disputes from partition. There are numerous MPs under investigation for murder who will never be brought to justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I don't want to bring up the Houston derail, but this got passed around between some Houstonian friends and I thought it was entertaining:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/daily-post/if-you-needed-it-further-proof-houston-so-much-bigger-most-cities

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ReindeerF posted:

I don't want to bring up the Houston derail, but this got passed around between some Houstonian friends and I thought it was entertaining:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/daily-post/if-you-needed-it-further-proof-houston-so-much-bigger-most-cities

yeah, and? Its still a shithole.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cimber posted:

yeah, and? Its still a shithole.

Someone's mad the Rockets won last night.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Why in gods name does anyone care how physically large a particular city is? The borders between individual cities and towns in modern metro zones are mostly academic and pointless.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Teddybear posted:

If the Supreme Court explicitly ignored a constitutional amendment passed as a direct reaction to their case, then that's a constitutional crisis resolvable more or less only by impeaching them. They wouldn't be that dumb.

Isn't this basically what happened in Shelby? Only no impeachment.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Tom Guycot posted:

Why in gods name does anyone care how physically large a particular city is? The borders between individual cities and towns in modern metro zones are mostly academic and pointless.
If you've lived in Houston you may have wondered how big it really was compared to other cities, because you're curious and spent an inordinate amount of time in cars.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tom Guycot posted:

It plays into zoning laws which matter

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

It plays into zoning laws which matter

Specifically, that Houston proudly lacks them entirely.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Specifically, that Houston proudly lacks them entirely.

Zoning laws, if done well and fairly can be ok. Zoning laws if done to be a source of revenue for the town can be a loving nightmare. Ask me about my shed. :p

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cimber posted:

Zoning laws, if done well and fairly can be ok. Zoning laws if done to be a source of revenue for the town can be a loving nightmare. Ask me about my shed. :p

Don't forget about zoning laws as done to be a source of power, prestige, and to develop clout for your political operation (ask me about living in cook county)

Seriously though goons, you should keep tabs on your local zoning commission, looking for openings. It isn't a bad gig if you can get it

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

ReindeerF posted:

Good lord. I'd love to see that superimposed over Beijing. Texas Monthly looks like a good source for Texas news too so thanks.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

Don't forget about zoning laws as done to be a source of power, prestige, and to develop clout for your political operation (ask me about living in cook county)

Seriously though goons, you should keep tabs on your local zoning commission, looking for openings. It isn't a bad gig if you can get it

seriously. The guys in my area are on the gravy train.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rick Perry got rebaptized last month in the same gross rear end river that Sam Houston got baptized in in the mid 1800s.

Unfortunately for our newly purified Governor, his presidential ambitions are doomed as Dick Morris thinks he will win.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hmmmmmmm

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Jesus man, the rest of those graphs. Up to and including "dissaprove of interracial dating" being higher than in the 80's. What the hell's going on around here?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know what you're gonna say. But lemme preempt that by pointing out that you are the real racist.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Talmonis posted:

Jesus man, the rest of those graphs. Up to and including "dissaprove of interracial dating" being higher than in the 80's. What the hell's going on around here?

Kim Kardashian getting engaged to Kayne West?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Talmonis posted:

It seems like Republicans' attitude toward racial issues changed rather abruptly in the 2007-2008 timeframe. But what could have caused that to happen?? :iiam:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Talmonis posted:

I think it's saying that opposition to interracial dating had an even partisan split until recently?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

It seems like Republicans' attitude toward racial issues changed rather abruptly in the 2007-2008 timeframe. But what could have caused that to happen?? :iiam:

That's odd to me because that's the exact year that racism was officially over in the US :confused:

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Joementum posted:

Speaking of rising stars in the Republican leadership who are from Obamastates....

Apparently a newly-uncovered memo said something and now Fox News/Republicans are hoping to open their 47th investigation to prove something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cimber posted:

Kim Kardashian getting engaged to Kayne West?

Seriously, Kanye West could do sooooo much better.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I think it's saying that opposition to interracial dating had an even partisan split until recently?

The last graph is indicating how likely it is that a person holding position A (Republican) would also hold position B (oppose interracial dating) and that recently that likelihood has increased. It doesn't say anything about Democrats.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Talmonis posted:

Racism is Over!

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Talmonis posted:

What happened was the White Flight to calling yourself an Independent, and consistently voting Republican anyway because gosh darn it Conservatism used to mean something and I can't give up on it yet.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

lil mortimer posted:

Apparently a newly-uncovered memo said something and now Fox News/Republicans are hoping to open their 47th investigation to prove something.

Wait, what? Tell me we're not going to have to endure another of Darrell Issa's races to the bottom of the barrel.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alter Ego posted:

Wait, what? Tell me we're not going to have to endure another of Darrell Issa's races to the bottom of the barrel.

We are despite the memo bringing no new information.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tom Guycot posted:

Care or find of moderate interest? Why was the Colossus a wonder of the world? I dunno. I'm not saying you should be impressed, I just thought it was interesting how large it actually is compared to cities that people think of as large.

I know in D&D everyone presupposes a motive as I've been a very active poster here for 13 years last month - I have none. People were discussing the city/state and this came across my email. No need to go Full Blown Pundit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Well according to studies around 15% of all marriages in the US are now interracial marriages so maybe all the racists are finally noticing it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barudak posted:

Well according to studies around 15% of all marriages in the US are now interracial marriages so maybe all the racists are finally noticing it.

The only ones they care about are black men marrying white women.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Stultus Maximus posted:

We are despite the memo bringing no new information.

Does anyone in the general electorate care about Benghazi at this point? I know conservatives do because they are generally pretty dumb and democrats care because they tend to spend too much time caring about what conservatives think, I'm more referring to the general electorate that isn't to involved in politics that would be receptive to voting for either party. I'm not sure pandering on this issue is a particularly big draw at this point. If this is about discrediting Hilary it makes no sense to overexpose the scandal so much now that people are burnt out on it later.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Does anyone in the general electorate care about Benghazi at this point? I know conservatives do because they are generally pretty dumb and democrats care because they tend to spend too much time caring about what conservatives think, I'm more referring to the general electorate that isn't to involved in politics that would be receptive to voting for either party. I'm not sure pandering on this issue is a particularly big draw at this point. If this is about discrediting Hilary it makes no sense to overexpose the scandal so much now that people are burnt out on it later.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oHol7WW2A8g

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

I don't know. My dad, who likes to claim he never watches Fox News (he does), says that it proves that they were PROTECTING Obama before the election.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If only Slim Charles was actually chairman of a House Committee :allears:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I know the standard rule is to never read the comments but seriously, read the comments.

quote:

All polls are quackery. And, oh how the media love their polls. You can prove or disprove any issue you want. All you have to do is pay for a poll to be taken or more simply look for a poll online that supports your point of view. There are polls for everything out there and polls that cover both sides of every issue. It is media pablum fed to the public to satisfy their voracious appetite for information.

Maybe someone, some hero will come along and unskew them.

quote:

What this tells me -- especially that last graph -- is that support or distaste for Obama is affecting support or distaste for interracial relations. If you notice, the trend in race relations was largely positive until Obama became president. Rather than Obama's presidency propelling us to a post-racist environment, the Obama presidency is promoting racism.

My guess is that if the Goetz shooting, O.J. Simpson verdict, and Don Imus polls would gather much different results if those some things happened today. Just an observation.

Obama is the real racist.

quote:

That wide partisan divide is not too surprising in light of other polls conducted this past year, which also suggested that Democrats and Republican have increasingly separate realities about race.
--------------------------
When the Thought Police can take away your property then the 1st Amendment no longer exists. If the NBA didn't put in a provision for this type of forced sale, than I cannot see how it's legal to take it away because the guy's a racist.

This continued effort to construct yet another message of the GOP being racist is what continues to fan the flames of racism. Some poll on OJ, Zimmerman, two very hotly contested situations that had the flames of racism fanned by so called 'leaders' in the black community, is not a legitimate view of race on this country and doesn't give this 'journalist' or any other the right to use it as proof of anything.

At some point, articles like this need to be responsible for the damage they cause.

:tinfoil:

Oh, and this Onion article.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Conservatives show up in midterm and off-cycle elections more than anyone else so tossing more red meat to increase their turnout isn't a bad strategy.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

Conservatives show up in midterm and off-cycle elections more than anyone else so tossing more red meat to increase their turnout isn't a bad strategy.

exactly. Remember the ground zero mosque kerfluffle from the 2010 cycle?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Obama forcing conservatives to be racist is probably my favorite of their various paranoid complaints about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember all the thinkpieces in 08 about "Is America ready for a black president". Well guess what.

• Locked thread