Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Kommando posted:

Does anyone have some opinions on Vallejo satin varnish? Gloss varnish is too shiny for what I'm working on.

And flat is too flat and doesn't protect the paint well. The solution is to spray on a coat of gloss varnish, let it dry, then apply a coat of matte finish.

Oh poo poo, oh oh gently caress!

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Any suggestions on where to pick up LEDs (I'm American)? I have a couple Reaper Bones translucent minis I'd like to do lighted bases for to make 'em glow.

EDIT: They're the green ghosts, not the orange elementals.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 1, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Good god

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

So far so good.

Italeri:
Flat White, Flat Light Grey, Flat Dark Ghost Grey, Flat Black.
P3:
Bastion Grey, Frostbite.
Vallejo:
Blue-green, Deep sky blue, Oily Steel, Satin Varnish.
Army Painter:
Dark Tone
Tamiya:
X22 Gloss Clear

Misc colours for stars.

Now I need to figure out how to paint the York and Sovetskii Soyuz warships the same patchwork style.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Had a look in person on that Cheap Generic Chinese compressor and it's really dinky. I think I'll go the extra mile and order an airbrush specific compressor. Possibly the Hseng AS186 with tank or equivalent.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Krylon has flat and gloss varnishes. Has anyone tried these? They're a LOT cheaper than Testor's if they're any good.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I use Krylon Matte for everything I paint. Never had any issues.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Duplicolor primer, Liquitex color spray, Krylon matte sealer, all day erryday.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Hellbeard posted:

Had a look in person on that Cheap Generic Chinese compressor and it's really dinky. I think I'll go the extra mile and order an airbrush specific compressor. Possibly the Hseng AS186 with tank or equivalent.

This is the one I got, looks like it's on sale again. Though I forget where you live.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038D38AA/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item
$89.96 + $12.99 shipping

Runs quiet and smooth. Not the biggest tank but air seems to stay cool and dry, which is surprising down in Florida.

Edit: There are always many variations of this model sold with hoses or cheap brushes as well. I would browse around if you have time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beerdeer posted:

Krylon has flat and gloss varnishes. Has anyone tried these? They're a LOT cheaper than Testor's if they're any good.

They are great but still won't do a good job if used when cold (like any spray can). If you don't have an airbrush use it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Hey so I am looking at getting genuinely good brushes. I bought a series 7 and I really like it. Aside from not getting paint in the ferrule, how do I care for these things? I have heard poo poo about actually using conditioner on them and having brush soap but I don't know what kind of soap I should be using, how hard I should be willing to treat them, etc. I'd like to stop having to buy new lovely brushes that fray and whatnot, but I fear breaking them :ohdear:

Someone tell me what brush soap to buy and how to use it

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Personally, I use Pink Soap liquid from Mona Lisa, and The Master's Brush Cleaner & Conditioner. The former works like dishwashing detergent you mix into your wash water; the latter is a solid block in a jar that you mash the bristles on after moistening.

I use the Pink Soap for most of my cleaning-between-colors washing, and Master's for the end of the session to make sure my ferrules are clean. Both work pretty well; you'll probably use the liquid for a lot of your cleaning, but the solid will last ages. They're both readily available at Michaels.

e: typos

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

I originally tried using Krylon Matte Varnish but I could never get my models matte enough with it before it started frosting up. I use Future for gloss varnish (airbrush or brush-on) and Liquitex Matte Varnish through an airbrush now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Just go to your nearest art store and buy the cheapest brush soap they have, they're basically all the same lemony stuff. Rinse your brush like usual, then your brush and "paint" with it on the brush soap, rinsing the foam from time to time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Laughing God*

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Would that Instant Mould stuff be good for churning out a load of shoulder pads? In their wisdom, GW have discontinued the pads for the chapter I paint, and I only have a couple left.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

WhiteOutMouse posted:

This is the one I got, looks like it's on sale again. Though I forget where you live.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038D38AA/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item
$89.96 + $12.99 shipping

Runs quiet and smooth. Not the biggest tank but air seems to stay cool and dry, which is surprising down in Florida.

Edit: There are always many variations of this model sold with hoses or cheap brushes as well. I would browse around if you have time.

I have the same compressor and it's great- pretty cheap, cool, and quiet enough.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Esser-Z posted:

Any suggestions on where to pick up LEDs (I'm American)? I have a couple Reaper Bones translucent minis I'd like to do lighted bases for to make 'em glow.

EDIT: They're the green ghosts, not the orange elementals.

You could do places like Mouser or Digikey, but for small quantities of things I tend to opt towards Sparkfun. Their site's pretty friendly.

Fry's Electronics has a components aisle (if you live near one), and Radio Shack may still stock stuff like this at their markups.

Edit: Adafruit's not bad for other electronics fun stuff, too.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Iris of Ether posted:

You could do places like Mouser or Digikey, but for small quantities of things I tend to opt towards Sparkfun. Their site's pretty friendly.

Fry's Electronics has a components aisle (if you live near one), and Radio Shack may still stock stuff like this at their markups.

Edit: Adafruit's not bad for other electronics fun stuff, too.

Thanks a ton! I'll look into those sites. Not sure when I'll get on this particular project, though, heh. Kinda intimidated by it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

$89.96 + $12.99 shipping

Im pretty sure everyoen i know that has an airbrush has that compressor.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Esser-Z posted:

Thanks a ton! I'll look into those sites. Not sure when I'll get on this particular project, though, heh. Kinda intimidated by it.

No worries! Just buy more LEDs than you need - they're cheap, and you'll probably blow one or two while playing with them. If you can get a cheap resistor pack at the same time (containing values in the 10-1000ohm range), that'll also help you when you go to wire it.

Thankfully LEDs are pretty forgiving, but if you have more questions feel free to ask when you get to it. :D

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Iris of Ether posted:

No worries! Just buy more LEDs than you need - they're cheap, and you'll probably blow one or two while playing with them. If you can get a cheap resistor pack at the same time (containing values in the 10-1000ohm range), that'll also help you when you go to wire it.

Thankfully LEDs are pretty forgiving, but if you have more questions feel free to ask when you get to it. :D

Well, I've never done electronics like this at all before, so if you have any good tutorials handy, I'd really appreciate it!

I'm getting further into this hobby than I used to think I could. :iia:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lungboy posted:

Would that Instant Mould stuff be good for churning out a load of shoulder pads? In their wisdom, GW have discontinued the pads for the chapter I paint, and I only have a couple left.

I did it for my Angels of Absolution. Well, to be more exact, I just made a lot of copies of the design and glued the cured greenstuff onto a shoulder pad. Same difference, really.

I'm not sure you'll want to make a copy of an ENTIRE shoulder pad, since it'll be kind of rubbery unless you're using brown stuff or something equally hard. But for simple designs? Go for it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slimnoid posted:

Awesome stuff.

I hadn't thought of just copying the chapter icon from the raised bit of the pad. That sounds like a good idea, is it easy to do on such small things? And is there a generic name for the stuff to avoid paying a brand tax?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lungboy posted:

I hadn't thought of just copying the chapter icon from the raised bit of the pad. That sounds like a good idea, is it easy to do on such small things? And is there a generic name for the stuff to avoid paying a brand tax?

Very easy. For those symbols I designed the original by just cutting out a wing from thin plastic, gluing it to some thick plasticard so it didn't fly off somewhere, and then carefully cut and glued one of the skulls from the GW buildings. Press down mold, and ta-da! It isn't any more difficult for normal shoulder pads either, and you do have the bonus of it already being slightly curved, but I find it to be easier to get a flat, even level of GS with the way I did it. YMMV.

The generic name is called oyumaru. It originated in Japan and is sold super cheap over there, though the shipping is where it'll kill you; here's an example of cheap price with high shipping cost. Shop around, you'll find it for cheap.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slimnoid posted:

Very easy. For those symbols I designed the original by just cutting out a wing from thin plastic, gluing it to some thick plasticard so it didn't fly off somewhere, and then carefully cut and glued one of the skulls from the GW buildings. Press down mold, and ta-da! It isn't any more difficult for normal shoulder pads either, and you do have the bonus of it already being slightly curved, but I find it to be easier to get a flat, even level of GS with the way I did it. YMMV.

The generic name is called oyumaru. It originated in Japan and is sold super cheap over there, though the shipping is where it'll kill you; here's an example of cheap price with high shipping cost. Shop around, you'll find it for cheap.

Thanks for the help. I managed to find some for £7 for 6 sticks which should last me ages. There were cheaper places selling but in Hong Kong and I'd rather support my local store.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Holy poo poo, I just used Vallejo Black for the first time, and :circlefap:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Thanks for the help. I managed to find some for £7 for 6 sticks which should last me ages. There were cheaper places selling but in Hong Kong and I'd rather support my local store.

No problem. Oyumaru/magic mold can be reused over and over, so it's pretty much going to last you forever. You can cut it down to any size, and combine chunks to suit your needs. It's invaluable.

ijyt posted:

Holy poo poo, I just used Vallejo Black for the first time, and :circlefap:

Vallejo Air Black is my personal jesus.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

Seriously, no, do not. Most things made in China are by lowest-bid slave traders who can't even make components that are interchangeable on the same production line. Even the motor scooters made their are prone to failure, and it's so hard to gently caress up motor scooters that Slovenian models like Tomos are pretty drat good. Even if you don't care about the moral failures of buying from a company that exploits slave labor, do not waste your money!

If you can modify an appropriate air compressor to fit your airbrush, do it, but do not skimp on quality. It's one thing to buy from a Kentucky manufacturer rather than a northeast production line, but for a core device you want to last for a while and maybe repair if it breaks down don't use bottom shelf stuff.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to deviate from the compressor talk, just asking for any tips to finish this mini.

My wife's old PC, a NG half-orcish Druid. Any ideas? I think the hair needs a fresh coat of black and some highlights with a satin finish, butthat's all I can think of.

Props to the DGS Games guys for their good use of armoured/less slutty looking female figures.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Weirdo posted:

Sorry to deviate from the compressor talk, just asking for any tips to finish this mini.

My wife's old PC, a NG half-orcish Druid. Any ideas? I think the hair needs a fresh coat of black and some highlights with a satin finish, butthat's all I can think of.

Props to the DGS Games guys for their good use of armoured/less slutty looking female figures.

Maybe lighten up the face a bit? The flat green along with the dark eyes make her look more spectral than orcish.

http://www.dgsgames.com/index.php/gallery-link/link-minis/view-image/61691a6d0b959c4fbc53539958d69a9f/jpg

The demo model here, though I really didn't like it, is getting at what I mean. The highlight on the cheek bone (and some other places) would do a lot.

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 2, 2014

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Under 15 posted:

Maybe lighten up the face a bit? The flat green along with the dark eyes make her look more spectral than orcish.

http://www.dgsgames.com/index.php/gallery-link/link-minis/view-image/61691a6d0b959c4fbc53539958d69a9f/jpg

The demo model here, though I really didn't like it, is getting at what I mean. The highlight on the cheek bone (and some other places) would do a lot.

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Esser-Z posted:

Well, I've never done electronics like this at all before, so if you have any good tutorials handy, I'd really appreciate it!

I'm getting further into this hobby than I used to think I could. :iia:

I wrote some :words: about sticking a LED into Wyrmgear in the Reaper thread, including the parts I chose and why. The goons in the Learning Electronics megathread are also pretty friendly.

Weirdo posted:

Ooh, pretty. I'ma look through my figures for a lady to orc up now. :D

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Crosspost from 40k thread:

I finished my Fire Dragon squad, tried to get pictures in the morning here so the light probably isn't the best, but meh:

I also just noticed a couple of gems messed up, so I'll make those corrections.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Crosspost from the recently-ended Oath Thread: Look, guys, I finally figured out how to kinda properly use my airbrush!
...Coming soon one of these days: how to actually use one's airbrush.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm doing some DKoK in Epic scale, and decided on basing them with Army Painter Wolf Grey, with a Asurmen Blue wash. Obviously, GW changed up their pants, so I don't want to use something that I may not be able to color match if I run out halfway through. As a replacement, do I want to look at the Gulliman Blue Glaze, or the Nightshade Blue Shade? I'm guessing the Shade is what I want, as I do want to bring out the panel lines and rivets. Am I correct in that supposition?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm doing some DKoK in Epic scale, and decided on basing them with Army Painter Wolf Grey, with a Asurmen Blue wash. Obviously, GW changed up their pants, so I don't want to use something that I may not be able to color match if I run out halfway through. As a replacement, do I want to look at the Gulliman Blue Glaze, or the Nightshade Blue Shade? I'm guessing the Shade is what I want, as I do want to bring out the panel lines and rivets. Am I correct in that supposition?

You want the shade. Shades are the new washes. Glazes are used for tinting and saturating colors.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 2, 2014

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks - I wanted to be sure before I dropped the money and found out it won't do what I want it to.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Borrowing the announcement from the Bones thread...

:siren: Oath Season 5 is go! :siren:

Come hang out, chill with other painting goons, and maybe win some prizes!

The rules have been (very) simplified this year, there's a bunch of prize support (and more to come!), and there's no "minimum oath" so you can just oath a single figure to paint in a whole month if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I've been looking forward to the new Oath season starting, hopefully gonna motivate me to paint some more mans!

• Locked thread