Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's more like Bows themselves are amazing early on. The rangers weakness attacks I find okay at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, bows have great attack to make up for being two-handed, and Rangers have that passive that makes their attacks always hit which makes them even better. They kind of level off, insofar as the last couple of jobs are get pretty crazy crowd control options.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Is there just something strange that I accidentally did, or is the Ranger class better than, like, everything. My Tiz Ranger out damages any other anything. I'm at about level 50 coming up on the Fire Temple (I've been grinding to the point of ridiculousness).

If you get the Angel Bow early from Norende and give it to a Thief and eventually a Ranger they will be your hardest hitter for a while, that bow sort of breaks the progression curve a bit. For me personally it started to fall off in Chapter 3, by Chapter 4 there were clearly better options.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you get the Angel Bow early from Norende and give it to a Thief and eventually a Ranger they will be your hardest hitter for a while, that bow sort of breaks the progression curve a bit. For me personally it started to fall off in Chapter 3, by Chapter 4 there were clearly better options.

Boss wise, yes it will get much better around chapter 4 for dealing damage. Also I think the Ranger has abilities like precision and that one ability that says, if all your attacks hit, it boosts the damage so it combos well in itself to just maximize damage.

If you max out the Ranger class (which is easy to do if you make someone a rather as soon as you get it and keep them that way) they can trivialize almost every random encounter (even up to chapter 8) just by braving 3 times and attacking. Your other characters can mop up. It is around chapter 5 where you'll have good ways to deal damage to bosses without using the attack command.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

quote:

ranger talk

Yeah, I made Tiz a Ranger, up from Monk/Thief, and his damage output is insane. My Edea is doing really well as a Valkyrie with Spell Fencer secondary, as well, but I'm still on the fence about whether I prefer her being able to Jump over being insanely durable as the Knight. Either way, the Two-Handed SS makes her an absolute monster.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bow + Spellfencer means you will be making GBS threads out special moves and have a never-ending chain; Bow thrives on hitting a weakness, and there are good options for giving enemies elemental weakness if they don't have one already.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Ranger sure would be a lot better if the vast majority of bosses you fought weren't human.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DalaranJ posted:

Ranger sure would be a lot better if the vast majority of bosses you fought weren't human.

All it'd need is a "Human Slayer" attack. I have no idea why it doesn't have one.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dr Pepper posted:

All it'd need is a "Human Slayer" attack. I have no idea why it doesn't have one.

Probably precisely that you can't trivially get super-effective hits against most bosses (although it's not that hard to do so anyway).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Just use Fire Bane and blow them up with Fireball or something, I don't know

Incidentally, Double Damage cost 18 MP in the original version of Bravely Default.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DalaranJ posted:

Ranger's damage is still pretty obscene, at least where I am fairly early in the game. It outclasses his P.DAM on like every class with up-to-date weapons by at least 40, and he has a ton of extra attacks. I might switch him back to Monk with Secondary Ranger later for the seemingly better crit rate, though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Just use Fire Bane and blow them up with Fireball or something, I don't know

Incidentally, Double Damage cost 18 MP in the original version of Bravely Default.

Is that why it has a prohibitively expensive MP cost now? I mean, double damage for 18 MP when you probably have 200+ to burn through even in jobs like Pirate sounds overpowered, but 25% MP kind of ruins it while you have basic combos like Gaia Gear + Earthquake/Sandstorm or Black Bane with Gloom and Drain Sword that barely require effort and are massively self-sustaining.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Last Celebration posted:

Is that why it has a prohibitively expensive MP cost now? I mean, double damage for 18 MP when you probably have 200+ to burn through even in jobs like Pirate sounds overpowered, but 25% MP kind of ruins it while you have basic combos like Gaia Gear + Earthquake/Sandstorm or Black Bane with Gloom and Drain Sword that barely require effort and are massively self-sustaining.

Yeah, it was stupidly overpowered in the original version so it was changed. Same with Amped Strike going from 99 MP to 1/2. Also, Spiritmaster's Moderation being 2 BP instead of 40 MP and both Fairy Wards being 4 turns instead of 5 turns and Greater Fairy Ward not being basically Enigma and Rage having a cap on its number of attacks at all, which it didn't in the original version.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

alcharagia posted:

Yeah, it was stupidly overpowered in the original version so it was changed. Same with Amped Strike going from 99 MP to 1/2. Also, Spiritmaster's Moderation being 2 BP instead of 40 MP and both Fairy Wards being 4 turns instead of 5 turns and Greater Fairy Ward not being basically Enigma and Rage having a cap on its number of attacks at all, which it didn't in the original version.

Doesn't rage not having a cap mean that that + drain sword = instant win?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Yukari posted:

Yes.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Yukari posted:

I feel like it still bases on max hp and will only ever hit 5 times.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ahahahahaha that's incredible. Now I'm a little sad we didn't get the original release. The game just flat out having an infinite combo is hilarious.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Chump Farts posted:

I feel like it still bases on max hp and will only ever hit 5 times.

Wouldn't that be the definition of "has a cap"? How would you even get more than 5 hits if it calculated based on max health and takes 20% of your max health per use?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Yukari posted:

Wouldn't that be the definition of "has a cap"? How would you even get more than 5 hits if it calculated based on max health and takes 20% of your max health per use?

I misunderstood what you guys were saying.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
In end game, I'm disappointed at the options to break the 9999 limit. Is there anything besides SP and Rage I'm missing? And of course, Rage is just a soft-break of the limit, using 3 BP for 5 attacks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're Dual-Wielding and both of your basic attacks can hit 9999, that might do it. It's harder to do, though. Hitting 9999 on multiple targets is very relevant in some of the boss fights.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Ahahahahaha that's incredible. Now I'm a little sad we didn't get the original release.

On the other hand, I'm more than a little happy we got the version that lets you control the encounter rate.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a little confused about how friend summon attacks work. Right now, almost everyone on my list is a level 10 tiz with power 37ish, and the people who sent out a really strong attack never send anything new (maybe they quit playing). Do I need to use up a friend's summon before it gets replaced with anything new they have sent out, or is everyone forgetting to send attacks on a regular basis?

Side note, I just sent out a nice 9999 strike today. It's my first 9999 summon (besides the time I sent an SP toxic elixir).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

T.G. Xarbala posted:

On the other hand, I'm more than a little happy we got the version that lets you control the encounter rate.

I cannot imagine what Bravely Default would be like without this feature.

More tedious, that's for sure.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

nutranurse posted:

I cannot imagine what Bravely Default would be like without this feature.

More tedious, that's for sure.

I probably would have never finished the game. I mean, gently caress, can you imagine doing the Praline sidequest like that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also Chapters 7 and 8 were the exact same as 5 and 6. (Are we still spoiling this?)

Original Bravely Default sounds pretty bad, is what I'm saying here.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, I finally caved in and started playing this last night; already have the first four jobs unlocked. I have a couple of quick questions (both related to each other).

I'm currently doing the sidequest you get when you first enter the desert town. Without spoiling anything... Am I underleveled if I'm at the point where I'm fighting the double boss battle in the ruins when my characters are in their low to mid-teens? My current setup is one of every job, and it felt like my monk and knight were hitting like a wet noodle.

If I do decide to go off and do the main quest for now, am I locking myself out of potential jobs for good if I advance the plot to/past a certain point?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

So, I finally caved in and started playing this last night; already have the first four jobs unlocked. I have a couple of quick questions (both related to each other).

I'm currently doing the sidequest you get when you first enter the desert town. Without spoiling anything... Am I underleveled if I'm at the point where I'm fighting the double boss battle in the ruins when my characters are in their low to mid-teens? My current setup is one of every job, and it felt like my monk and knight were hitting like a wet noodle.

If I do decide to go off and do the main quest for now, am I locking myself out of potential jobs for good if I advance the plot to/past a certain point?

I don't think you get locked out, but getting new asterisks as early as possible will let you start leveling and experimenting with newer jobs sooner.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Regalingualius posted:

I'm basically where you are and beat that boss with no one over 14. Work in special attacks and just wear them down. The next boss in that optional job quest is the same but harder, might want to see if you can get everyone's hp over 600.

P. S. Those of us just starting out thank everyone for their spoiler tags.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 3, 2014

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

After two attempts where I ground to a halt because thief guy kept spamming Potion on himself... I went to switch my White Mage to Black mainly to get the damage bonus, and he didn't even so much as Steal from me throughout the entire fight. :psyduck:

And... Hoo boy, you weren't kidding about needing 600+ HP.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cake Attack posted:

Also Chapters 7 and 8 were the exact same as 5 and 6. (Are we still spoiling this?)

Original Bravely Default sounds pretty bad, is what I'm saying here.

Well 6 is, but 7 and 8 aren't. That's when it gets really interesting fightwise.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Well 6 is, but 7 and 8 aren't. That's when it gets really interesting fightwise.

In the version we got, yes. Not in the original.

Unless I've been mislead.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Goddamn, I went from strugging through acquiring Merchant to decimating the next boss essentially in one turn.

I got a bow and an axe from Norende and got the associated special attacks, and six crits (including both special moves) later the boss was dead at my feet. :black101:

Also feels good at level 17 to friend send a monk crit of 1700+. Added my friend code to googledocs so people can join my town and I theirs.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Chapter 6 question I can't find the 3 sisters of the blood rose legion. They dont have their sidequests. Did I miss something or is there a plot reason why they are unavailable? The valkarie/hunter/summoner are the ones I can't find.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Veskit posted:

Chapter 6 question I can't find the 3 sisters of the blood rose legion. They dont have their sidequests. Did I miss something or is there a plot reason why they are unavailable? The valkarie/hunter/summoner are the ones I can't find.

Those three are for another sidequest you'll need to progress the plot a mite further to find.

More specifically: Awaken three crystals and you'll unlock a new sidequest.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

alcharagia posted:

Those three are for another sidequest you'll need to progress the plot a mite further to find.

More specifically: Awaken three crystals and you'll unlock a new sidequest.

Perfect thank you!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Veskit posted:

Perfect thank you!

Congratulations on approaching the first of the great fun fights of the game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

After advancing a fair bit more...

gently caress the Red Mage boss, that was creepy and hard as hell.

I'm at the point with the water crystal boss now, and I've gotta ask: About how far in am I? I've already sunken in more than 20 hours. :negative:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

After advancing a fair bit more...

gently caress the Red Mage boss, that was creepy and hard as hell.

I'm at the point with the water crystal boss now, and I've gotta ask: About how far in am I? I've already sunken in more than 20 hours. :negative:

not very

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You're still early.

• Locked thread