Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a special sort of sign that basically says "yo if you turn right there's going to be a train track right there so like be careful, maybe stop back here if there is otherwise you'll be caught in the intersection" ?

Yup! Check it out: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2/part8/part8b.htm

That has plenty of examples you might be able to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
Not quite the same thing but we have some light up signs on a busy intersection that has a railroad crossing nearly immediately after it that light up to tell you not to turn right or left because a train is there.

I hate that the new Google maps wont let me link to street view anymore but you can see it in the intersection here. There just black boxes normally but when a train is there they light up with a generic No Right/Left Turn sign.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ah W10-4 seems to perfectly represent the situation.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Opals25 posted:

Not quite the same thing but we have some light up signs on a busy intersection that has a railroad crossing nearly immediately after it that light up to tell you not to turn right or left because a train is there.

I hate that the new Google maps wont let me link to street view anymore but you can see it in the intersection here. There just black boxes normally but when a train is there they light up with a generic No Right/Left Turn sign.

Here's a nice look at one that protects a vertical lift bridge

They are useful, but in this case all the traffic lights are tied together in order to maintain flow on the canal-side parkways until the boat is clear, and then giving a longer than normal amount of time to clear the traffic that has been built up. Luckily, the lift doesn't operate during rush hour.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Cichlidae posted:

Yup! Check it out: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2/part8/part8b.htm

That has plenty of examples you might be able to use.

Interesting link! I googled some of those signs, and this image was one of the results. What exactly is the use for the sign in that image that says "150 Feet between highway and tracks behind you."? I'm having trouble imagining a road/rail arrangement that would make use of that information on a sign.

Opals25 posted:

I hate that the new Google maps wont let me link to street view anymore

In the bottom right corner, click on the question mark speech bubble to return to classic maps.

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 30, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RadioPassive posted:

Interesting link! I googled some of those signs, and this image was one of the results. What exactly is the use for the sign in that image that says "150 Feet between highway and tracks behind you."? I'm having trouble imagining a road/rail arrangement that would make use of that information on a sign.

The distance between intersection and tracks behind you is probably useful for people planning to make something like a u-turn using the intersection - I'd expect there's only a few places in the country where traffic flows make this useful, but it's nice to have standardized. It might also be useful information for drivers of large/long vehicles that might end up taking up too much space.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

RadioPassive posted:

That information would be useful for semis and busses. This intersection is on one of my routes home, and that information would be useful to any longer vehicles stuck at one of the lights either side of the rail crossing.

Why you would need to do that instead of timing your lights properly, I don't know. Both sets of lights have an "escape green" that clears the intersection as the gates come down.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Kakairo posted:

That information would be useful for semis and busses. This intersection is on one of my routes home, and that information would be useful to any longer vehicles stuck at one of the lights either side of the rail crossing.

Why you would need to do that instead of timing your lights properly, I don't know. Both sets of lights have an "escape green" that clears the intersection as the gates come down.

It's for heavy vehicles and convoys, yeah. But we can't always program pre-emption into our signals (and sometimes, when we do, the towns just disconnect them because they're too complicated to maintain).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Well, there's this thing:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...41f4_story.html

I'm all for figuring out transport funding, but my municipality is going to loving LOVE this development...

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

It's for heavy vehicles and convoys, yeah. But we can't always program pre-emption into our signals (and sometimes, when we do, the towns just disconnect them because they're too complicated to maintain).
I've never seen one that appeared to be disconnected, but I can't think of anything as wildly unpredictable as the order in which phases are called after the emergency vehicle passes that doesn't involve a whole lot of tequila.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

Well, there's this thing:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...41f4_story.html

I'm all for figuring out transport funding, but my municipality is going to loving LOVE this development...
Hell, Tampa was looking into ways of tolling local roads before this even came up. Tolls, Tolls Everywhere.

Varance fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 1, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Some news in Dutch.

So basically, some folks invented a thing called "glowing lines". Those are road markings that absorb the sun's UV light during the day and release it as visible light during the night. The inventors claim that they could replace street lights completely. It still needs some electricity, to keep the light intensity constant, independent of weather conditions. That means the lines can also be 'shut down'.
There's been some international attention and both Beijing and Cape Town are thinking of getting these lines.

So, the lines worked perfectly fine in the lab and were recently tested on a small stretch of road in Holland. After a month or so, they were shut down, because they were dying bit by bit. Apparently, the problem is that the 'pigments' can't tolerate much moisture.

The inventors say they're working on "Glowing Lines 2.0". Whatever. If it works, I think it's a good idea.

I just can't believe that they didn't think to test in the lab whether the stuff can stand moisture and rain.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are the dutch scientists the aliens from "Signs" ?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So apparently very few people know about the administration's new tack on recovery spending, the hideously-acronymed transportation bill released on Tuesday. Hasn't gotten much traction in the media although Time magazine had this article.

I think infrastructure spending is sexy :unsmith:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Baronjutter posted:

Are the dutch scientists the aliens from "Signs" ?

Considering how much work the Dutch do to protect themselves from water, that is actually possible.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Varance posted:

Hell, Tampa was looking into ways of tolling local roads before this even came up. Tolls, Tolls Everywhere.

Given the political impossibility of raising gas taxes in the USA, I'm not sure how else you'd do it.

I like that the fund is due to run out just in time for the elections. I wonder if congress will turn this into a replay of the default crisis in miniature.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tech researcher says traffic control systems in major cities in the US, UK, France, China and other countries are really easy to hack.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 1, 2014

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

whitey delenda est posted:

So apparently very few people know about the administration's new tack on recovery spending, the hideously-acronymed transportation bill released on Tuesday. Hasn't gotten much traction in the media although Time magazine had this article.

I think infrastructure spending is sexy :unsmith:

Some Congressional Intern Who Had to Shove This Backronym posted:

The GROW AMERICA Act, or Generating Renewal, Opportunity, and Work with Accelerated Mobility, Efficiency, and Rebuilding of Infrastructure and Communities throughout America, will do exactly what its name implies

Seriously?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

quote:

The GROW AMERICA Act, or Generating Renewal, Opportunity, and Work with Accelerated Mobility, Efficiency, and Rebuilding of Infrastructure and Communities throughout America, will do exactly what its name implies

:golfclap: That's beautiful. Well done nameless intern.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's not limited to traffic control. A huge amount of infrastructure worldwide relies on SCADA devices that are integrated into systems hard-coded around default passwords and connected to the Internet.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

:golfclap: That's beautiful. Well done nameless intern.

Never thought they'd top SAFETEA-LU. Now if Bill Shuster somehow works his wife's name into the final acronym...

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Are, uh, signs supposed to do that? I assume there's an amount of sway built in to them for high winds, but that looks a little intense.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AA is for Quitters posted:

Are, uh, signs supposed to do that? I assume there's an amount of sway built in to them for high winds, but that looks a little intense.

No, that one collapsed onto the road during the video that's captured from.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

AA is for Quitters posted:

If you get more than a few inches of movement, you're in deep poo poo. There's a sign support near my house that I refuse to drive beneath because it gallops whenever a truck passes beneath. Its rating went from 7 to 4 in one inspection cycle :O

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

If you get more than a few inches of movement, you're in deep poo poo. There's a sign support near my house that I refuse to drive beneath because it gallops whenever a truck passes beneath. Its rating went from 7 to 4 in one inspection cycle :O
Got a bunch of mast arms around here like that, with one that likes to gallop over a foot during rush hour (Adamo/SR60 @ Orient Rd in Tampa). Wondering how long it will be before it fails...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Whoops:
http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20140505/hesperia-bridge-fire-forces-closure-of-15-freeway
http://sanbag.ca.gov/projects/1-15_Ranchero/rancherofactsheet-tw-rev-ac.pdf
Well, that is one way to have an unanticipated construction delay.

Of course this is on my commute and I-15 is closed until at least Wednesday.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

nm posted:

Whoops:
http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20140505/hesperia-bridge-fire-forces-closure-of-15-freeway
http://sanbag.ca.gov/projects/1-15_Ranchero/rancherofactsheet-tw-rev-ac.pdf
Well, that is one way to have an unanticipated construction delay.

Of course this is on my commute and I-15 is closed until at least Wednesday.

Oof, that is TERRIBLE. For anyone who doubts that fire from jet fuel could make a building collapse, look at what a wood fire did to that steel rebar. Fire will gently caress your concrete, too, which conveniently turns pink when it's damaged beyond repair.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Speaking of damaged under construction bridges... truckers just managed to rip down part of a SPUI flyover in Clearwater, FL.

http://tbo.com/news/traffic/crash-closes-us-19-gulf-to-bay-blvd-in-clearwater-20140506/

AADT counts: :v:

Varance fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 6, 2014

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

Cichlidae posted:

Oof, that is TERRIBLE. For anyone who doubts that fire from jet fuel could make a building collapse, look at what a wood fire did to that steel rebar. Fire will gently caress your concrete, too, which conveniently turns pink when it's damaged beyond repair.

Is there a reason to do what they're doing instead of using pre-cast segments for the bridge? Seems like using pre-cast segments would be faster to do, and maybe cheaper since labor is expensive.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Varance posted:

Speaking of damaged under construction bridges... truckers just managed to rip down part of a SPUI flyover in Clearwater, FL.
I used to live a few miles from that SPUI. So glad I am not there right now.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

mamosodiumku posted:

Is there a reason to do what they're doing instead of using pre-cast segments for the bridge? Seems like using pre-cast segments would be faster to do, and maybe cheaper since labor is expensive.

Faster? Maybe in terms of on-site time. You'd still need to put in the hours to build casts, bend rebar and pour concrete, whether you do in on a build site or in a cement factory. So it's not obvious that it would take less labor.
For buildings with standardized segments (let's say you use the same or similar layout on 40 floors), obviously mass producing them in a factory could be cheaper. I really don't think you'd save much on a bridge project, though. There's also the issue of transporting huge concrete slabs as opposed to ready-mix concrete. And you can make bigger segments if pouring on-site.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mamosodiumku posted:

Prefabricated bridges are a thing, but it's really only feasible for pedestrian bridges and other smaller things where you can fit the whole bridge (either length or width) on a truck, and then assemble the whole thing with a splice or two.

For an enormous roadway bridge, where you have a steel or concrete girder that's 4 feet deep (see Varance's photo for an example) there's really no way to cheat and replace it with a smaller pre-cast member. And you really don't want to do the bridge deck with precast elements with a ton of joints, because every spot that water gets below the bridge deck is a future point of deterioration and failure for the bridge.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
They do a lot of prefabbing for bridge elements here in the NL though. Often on site because transporting them is indeed problematic, but they can be huge time and space savers compared to in situ pouring where you might need lots of hours of closed roadways. Most Dutch (re)construction contracts take lane closures in account as a performance metric these days, so there's been a boom in using prefabbed elements IIRC.

e: like here for example - or at least I think this should count. They'll hoist the deck on top of the abutments and it'll come out like this:

Koesj fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 7, 2014

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

mamosodiumku posted:

They're a decent amount more expensive, and traditionally, you have fewer options for geometry and architecture. You are also limited in your span length (due to shipping), but you can always ship in smaller pieces and assemble them on-site, then hoist into place. Accelerated bridge construction is becoming more and more common, though, as people realize that saving months of traffic impacts has a positive effect on the local economy.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
As a followup, who gets to pay for the damages for an accidental bridge construction fire? The contractors? Feels like with the pricing of bridges, the contractors wouldn't have the money to pay for it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mamosodiumku posted:

As a followup, who gets to pay for the damages for an accidental bridge construction fire? The contractors? Feels like with the pricing of bridges, the contractors wouldn't have the money to pay for it.

If it was due to some ongoing documented act of negligence it might mean real deep poo poo for the contractor. Otherwise, it would probably mean the contractor making a claim against his insurance for the damage. Sometimes poo poo just happens, and you can't have the contractor just going out of business when it does.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Insurance should cover it, unless the gently caress-up violates the terms of the insurance policy, in which case a smaller contractor like the one doing the I-15/Ranchero Rd project will be in serious financial trouble. Any sane government agency would have required the contractor be bonded for some percentage of the project cost, just in case the contractor goes out of business mid-project, something catastrophic happens, the contractor abandons ship, the work is substandard and requires repair before use, etc.. The bond provides a buffer that can be used to secure another contractor to finish the job (or restart).

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 8, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Long Beach Post posted:

Potholes: they are the silent menace of the streets, the sneaky asphalt monsters that have caused many a rolled ankle, flat tire and near-death biking experience. And they can be attributed to the increasingly problematic road conditions in Los Angeles County.

However, the City of Long Beach may have found a new weapon to fight against the cyclical tyranny that is the fixing and re-fixing of divots in its roadways.

Dave Dworksy, CEO of Dr. Pave, a Gardena-based pothole repair company, is the newest addition to the city's road-improvement arsenal and his company started the process of healing the city’s streets last week. But this isn't your typical semi-permanent fill-er-up pothole repair service. Using a patented Heatwurx technology, Dr. Pave is a cost effective and eco-friendly alternative to traditional methods.

“In addition to the savings, you have a sense of permanency in the repair,” Dworsky said of the work his company offers.“This is not a patch, it’s a seamless, permanent repair.”

The process Dr. Pave offers is ahead of the curve. It utilizes a golf-cart-sized machine that uses infrared heat to melt the existing asphalt before adding recycled asphalt product (RAP) and a bonding agent to fill the void. The job--which takes a team of two men roughly about 30 minutes to complete--results in a water-tight seal that blends aesthetically with the surrounding asphalt within weeks. The seamless finish is key to keeping out moisture which is the culprit in many potholes. Dr. Pave’s website guarantees the work for 18 months.

The repairs are generally ready to be driven on within 20 minutes of completion and cost about $200-$300. The cost is kept low by eliminating the extra man hours that come with a typical repair, requiring a separate crew for cutting around the damaged asphalt out and others for hauling in new asphalt. The use of RAP also stops hot plants from having to fire up to make new asphalt, making Dr. Pave both efficient and environmentally friendly.

http://lbpost.com/news/city/2000003...2un31N2Y4p.like

Has anyone heard of this system of asphalt pothole repair? They use infrared heating to melt asphalt roads and then add more material to create a seamless patch. They boast that it can be done in an hour for $300. This technique seems to be really awesome, both because it's cheap but also because it's so quick. If they can start a pothole fix and have it back to drivability in an hour, then that really opens up a lot of options in terms of fixing problem roads that are simply too important to close. New York, for instance, has notoriously bad potholes but the idea of closing down a lane for a day so they can fix potholes is completely out of the question because it would cause a massive traffic impact and exact millions of dollars in damage to the local economy. But if they can fix a pothole in an hour, then they can do it from 3am-4am without too much disruption, which means they can actually fix the roads. Of course they won't be able to use it on the old 1950s concrete roads that still dominate the system, but those are gradually being phased out in favor of asphalt.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Kaal posted:

Has anyone heard of this system of asphalt pothole repair? They use infrared heating to melt asphalt roads and then add more material to create a seamless patch. They boast that it can be done in an hour for $300. This technique seems to be really awesome, both because it's cheap but also because it's so quick. If they can start a pothole fix and have it back to drivability in an hour, then that really opens up a lot of options in terms of fixing problem roads that are simply too important to close. New York, for instance, has notoriously bad potholes but the idea of closing down a lane for a day so they can fix potholes is completely out of the question because it would cause a massive traffic impact and exact millions of dollars in damage to the local economy. But if they can fix a pothole in an hour, then they can do it from 3am-4am without too much disruption, which means they can actually fix the roads. Of course they won't be able to use it on the old 1950s concrete roads that still dominate the system, but those are gradually being phased out in favor of asphalt.

I haven't heard of that before, but it sounds pretty cool. The biggest issue I can think of is that it's a proprietary system, which makes procurement a lot tougher for public entities.

-----

Who wants more Busway drama? Last year, we closed down a grade crossing of a minor road across the main Amtrak line. It had to be done because of safety (really should have happened decades ago), but since the Busway goes right through the crossing, it became even more of an imperative. The typical rule with new construction is "you touch it, you fix it," so the DOT had a 2-year legal battle to close the thing. They eventually agreed to spend $4m on a pedestrian overpass to calm some of the opposition.

And then last night, this happened: http://courantblogs.com/capitol-watch/fonfara-fights-busway-trying-to-keep-flower-street-open/

So now the DOT is legally required to re-open the grade crossing, which is going to require a big redesign of the Busway crossing (there is nowhere at all to put crossing arms or signal equipment) and probably waste another ten or twenty million while this goes through courts all over again. Politics in action!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cichlidae posted:

I haven't heard of that before, but it sounds pretty cool. The biggest issue I can think of is that it's a proprietary system, which makes procurement a lot tougher for public entities.

Yeah I'm quite curious about it since the article definitely sounds like a PR publicity pitch for a local company, so I'd love to hear if the system actually works. If so, it seems like it could be a big deal for pothole repair.