Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

Which NPC's need to be summoned a certain number of times for a sidequest and which ones are just there to supplement sunbro numbers?

Lucatiel and Benhart both need to be summoned (and survive) 3 times. They're available for 4 different fights, but if you're desperate you can double up using ascetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you forget it's no big deal, though. The rewards aren't that great.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

You've been saying nothing except "lol l2p scrubs :smuggo:" for pages now. We get it, you're awesome and anyone who has any criticism about the level design just sucks at it. Now go back to gamefaqs.

I agree with NihilVerum, the zones in DS2 just feel less organic and appropriate than the ones in the last game. The whole approach to the Iron Keep is basically cribbed from DS1's approach to Izalith, what with the vertical poison level, flat poison level, lava level, but where DS1 actually felt like you're actually travelling somewhere - descending through the sewers, climbing down a rickety shanty down built into the walls of the above city's garbage dump, trudging through the sludge and finally spelunking down a natural cave into the underworld - the whole thing feels like a sequence of Doom levels. It's a lot more low-effort design and not nearly as well integrated.

Its not "cribbed", they put the lava area right after the poison area on purpose. Its supposed to remind you have Dark Souls because one of the themes of the game is about how memories influence our perception. They are deliberately trying to remind you of stuff from Dark Souls and Demon's Souls.

But yes the transition is atrociously bad and makes zero sense. It feels like they had a bunch of people design these awesome areas then at the last moment had a group of interns create some things to piece them together. How do we get from poison land to lava land? Uhhhhhh gently caress I dunno just put in an elevator or something. While the game is already plenty long enough, they really should of put in a few more short transition areas to avoid this problem.

Cardiovorax posted:

The Bed of Chaos was a pretty cool and unique boss, though.

You're insane.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 1, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

Kinda amazing how prevalent messages that say 'tongue but hole' next to female NPCs have become.

I wish you could downvote messages as well as rating them up.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not "cribbed", they put the lava area right after the poison area on purpose. Its supposed to remind you have Dark Souls because one of the themes of the game is about how memories influence our perception. They are deliberately trying to remind you of stuff from Dark Souls and Demon's Souls.

But yes the transition is atrociously bad and makes zero sense. It feels like they had a bunch of people design these awesome areas then at the last moment had a group of interns create some things to piece them together. How do we get from poison land to lava land? Uhhhhhh gently caress I dunno just put in an elevator or something. While the game is already plenty long enough, they really should of put in a few more short transition areas to avoid this problem.

It's a volcano!!

Everyone please meditate on this for awhile and you too will realize that it is obviously a volcano

individual
May 20, 2003
Nice to meat you!
I haven't played for a couple weeks, what is the current FOTM in regards to pvp on PC? When I stopped it was the chaos blade, avelyn, and dark fog.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

You do get an achievement for completing their quests though if that's your thing.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Although I think part of why those messages, as well as the "keep going, skeleton!" messages get upvoted so much is since Dark Souls is so stressful and bleak, its nice to have some comedic relief once in awhile.

There's so many of these "nice job, skeleton!" messages that I really wonder if it's some sort of meme that I missed out or if it's just folks naturally doing it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Maxmaps posted:

Kinda amazing how prevalent messages that say 'tongue but hole' next to female NPCs have become.

RIP Sticky white stuff.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Zaphod42 posted:

^^^ I really like the Lost Bastille? :shrug: Heck I like huntsman's too for that matter.

Its really going to depend upon how completionist you were, how much co-op you did, etc. But I found myself finishing the game in the range of like SL 120-150

Burn a human effigy at a bonfire?

Burning an effigy only applies to the area connected to that particular bonfire. So if you want to opt out of PvP completely that way you're probably going to run out of effigies really quick.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wish you could downvote messages as well as rating them up.

Yeah its kinda frustrating. Whenever I see really stupid "secret door ahead" where there isn't one, I wish I could downvote it to keep the newbies from getting confused. Lazy trolling.

You could in DS1, but they got rid of it which seems odd. It kinda works that you can upvote but not downvote and you can just check how many upvotes messages have to determine their authenticity, but sometimes you upvote a bad one by mistake and that requires lots of people to upvote good messages. Lots of time you just have a bunch of messages with 2-5 upvotes and its not clear which are bs and which are sincere.

Varinn posted:

It's a volcano!!

Everyone please meditate on this for awhile and you too will realize that it is obviously a volcano

First of all shut the gently caress up, nobody cares you've already said this, stop re-iterating your stupid whiney feelings.

Second that doesn't work, when you're inside Iron Keep you can see the architecture clearly standing over any edges, but you can't see anything remotely like the Iron Keep architecture from Harvest Valley.

Its very obvious to anybody who isn't a loving shithead like you that they cut an area that was supposed to be between them.

Is that the end of the world? NO. The game's still loving awesome. But it does suck and it stands out compared to the rest of the world design.

NOW MOVE THE gently caress ON. :colbert:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Internet Kraken posted:

I know, I was just being flippant there.

Internet Kraken posted:

You're insane.
Hey, I said cool and unique, not good. It's experimental and different from every other boss in DS1 and that didn't go down well with a lot of people, which I completely understand. It gets props from me for actively trying something unusual and different, though.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 1, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I talked to this NPC named Pate and he gave me all his items, why? Did I do something for him before and forgot?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Reason posted:

I talked to this NPC named Pate and he gave me all his items, why? Did I do something for him before and forgot?

ooooooooohhhhh. which area are you in?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reason posted:

You summoned him to help during Last Giant fight.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Huntsman Copse was a neat area because the world needs more Castlevania looking things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Huntsman Copse was a neat area because the world needs more Castlevania looking things.

You're gonna love Drangleic Castle

I wish it was longer, that area rules.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.

Cardiovorax posted:

Lucatiel's hat is "no big deal"?!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I killed a snake woman living at the top of an, uhh, stone age poison factory? And now I took a long elevator up into a lava church:psyduck:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

ooooooooohhhhh. which area are you in?

Whatever that area is after earthen peak where you burn the windmill

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

I killed a snake woman living at the top of an, uhh, stone age poison factory? And now I took a long elevator up into a lava church:psyduck:

Yep, that's what we've been bitching about for the past dozen pages :haw:

Both of those areas are amazing, and really well designed, but its painfully obvious they cut an area between them.

If only they'd just made it a door and a short hallway or a cave, then it would at least sorta make sense even if the relative distances weren't accurate like Dark Souls 1. I'm okay with that, like Majula -> Heide's being further than you run, no problem there.

But you go up. It just doesn't make sense. Oh well.

Reason posted:

Whatever that area is after earthen peak where you burn the windmill

You're in Earthen Peak. Pate gave you his things because you summoned him for The Last Giant fight. I already said this :cheeky:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Reason posted:

I'm getting the feeling you smacked a npc around at some point. Did you?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It took a few days for people to reach that area but there are now a bunch upvoted jokes related to heads in front of the Baleful Queen boss door. Community did not disappoint.

"Head Ahead"

VVV Drangleic Castle is fantastic and I don't get why people expect it to have a bunch of interior decoration like Anor Londo. Unlike Anord Londo, nobody is trying to maintain the illusion that Drangleic Castle is still in its glory age. Its been fully converted into an ebony fortress of death, and as such all the decorations have been stripped away over time. Aside from one, because its cursed!

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 1, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zaphod42 posted:

You're gonna love Drangleic Castle

I wish it was longer, that area rules.

I thought Drangleic Castle was okay with a few neat areas but yeah it was too short for such a massive place and it looks like loving garbage inside.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mindblast posted:

I'm getting the feeling you smacked a npc around at some point. Did you?

Wrong answer. I already gave the right answer twice though. :eng101:

That part comes later! Sssh he hasn't done that yet.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The whole path to the Iron King is just one big meta-commentary on the appalling effects of the exploitation of labor by the bourgeoisie and we plebians are just too dumb to realize it.

Let me put it into simple words that explains why you two are getting shouted down, all right?

This isn't level design. This is world design. They are two different things. Level design is the mechanical structure of the game in regards to how the game plays, where items are located, traps, and enemy encounters are. World design is the aesthetics and relation each level has in relation to one another.

This game's general focus (where it fails occasionally, as well,) is complex encounter setpieces where a large number of enemies are placed with regard to the level architecture to make things easier or harder on you. There are a lot of really good encounters (a level design concept) in this game, where encountering nine royal swordsmen is totally possible because of the level geometry you can take advantage of. They're never able to surround you. (There are exceptions, like the ruin sentinel/stone knight death room in Drangleic Castle. That's just a big square room with a tight leash point for them. That's bad level design, because it's uninteresting.)

The reason why most people disagree with you is because you're saying the wrong thing. Most people would agree that this game has really good level design, but some of those same people would probably agree that the game's world design is lacking. The rest, including myself, don't really care because the world design is completely secondary.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

First of all shut the gently caress up, nobody cares you've already said this, stop re-iterating your stupid whiney feelings.

Second that doesn't work, when you're inside Iron Keep you can see the architecture clearly standing over any edges, but you can't see anything remotely like the Iron Keep architecture from Harvest Valley.

Its very obvious to anybody who isn't a loving shithead like you that they cut an area that was supposed to be between them.

Is that the end of the world? NO. The game's still loving awesome. But it does suck and it stands out compared to the rest of the world design.

NOW MOVE THE gently caress ON. :colbert:

Of course you can't see it from harvest valley, it's in the CRATER of the VOLCANO

the real question is: who really sank iron keep into that volcano?? flame can't melt steel at those temperatures?? thermite in the keep? Google loose change

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You summoned him to help during Last Giant fight.

Either my game glitched or that's not the trigger because he gave me all his stuff and I never summoned him for anything. I just talked to him everywhere I found him.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Either my game glitched or that's not the trigger because he gave me all his stuff and I never summoned him for anything. I just talked to him everywhere I found him.
Yeah, you don't actually need to summon Pate anywhere. Talking to him in all his spots is enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Varinn posted:

Of course you can't see it from harvest valley, it's in the CRATER of the VOLCANO

the real question is: who really sank iron keep into that volcano?? flame can't melt steel at those temperatures?? thermite in the keep? Google loose change

Except like I already loving said when you're in Iron Keep the tops of the architecture clearly stand above anything else, you're not sunken down into some crater. You would be able to loving see a crater.

Shut up, ugh.

Kimmalah posted:

OR there's more than one way to get his stuff? Which is how it works? :doh:

You can get it at earthen peak or later in brightstone cove. You have to summon him for last giant for him to give it to you in earthen peak. You have to talk to him everywhere and kill creighton to get it in tseldora, or you can kill pate at pretty much any point and buy it from a merchant. But then you don't get his ring.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, you don't actually need to summon Pate anywhere. Talking to him in all his spots is enough.

You do have to summon him to get it in Earthen Peak. That's what we were talking about, pay attention. You can get it later in the game otherwise, yes, good for you.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 1, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope I didn't miss Pate and Creighton fighting. I kinda went the opposite way - so hopefully that is only triggered when you go in the door.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I hope I didn't miss Pate and Creighton fighting. I kinda went the opposite way - so hopefully that is only triggered when you go in the door.

I think its triggered when you get near. Its definitely possible for One of them to kill the other without your help, in which case you won't get as many rewards

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
So is like the Covetous Demon fight a joke fight? All I had to do was run around it plinking arrows at him every time he took a very dodgeable swing at me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Maxmaps posted:

So is like the Covetous Demon fight a joke fight? All I had to do was run around it plinking arrows at him every time he took a very dodgeable swing at me.

From what I've heard, his only really dangerous move is eating you and taking all your armor and stuff. But I never saw it in the short time it took to kill him. :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You mean you didn't see him start violently flopping around like a bus-sized salmon on dry land?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Maxmaps posted:

It becomes a lot less funny if you get caught by the grab attack that unequips all of your equipment though it's just about impossible to get caught by it if you're any good.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I didn't know about it and tried to block it. Ended up still killing him naked with firebombs (always have firebombs).

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm almost SL100 and I still only have one Great Soul. :shepicide: I can't stop Sunbroing and exploring every nook and cranny.

One thing I love about this game over Dark Souls 1 is just how much better Steam is at connecting people then Windows Live. I had very few sunbro moments in DS1 because the summoning would often fail, and PvP was a complete no-show, even after I got good enough to stay human for long periods. DS2, I don't think I've soloed a single boss so far because phantoms only fail if someone beats me to the sign and there's always more signs (except the Royal Rat Vanguard, since you can't drop a sign in that area it seems).

That said, didn't DS1 switch to Steamworks after GFWL's much deserved death? Hmmmm....

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Maxmaps posted:

He's a giant goon and I don't think he's supposed to be very hard. For me the only difficulty in the fight comes from him being so horrible to look at.

His actual attacks all hit hard but they are telegraphed heavily and super slow. Dodging them is easy and even if he does manage to hit you, he's such a sloth that you can easily heal before he can hit you again. Despite this, I regularly see people die to him while sunbroing, usually because they don't respect his roll. His roll hurts a ton and can be somewhat tricky to dodge. If you get hit by it, get the gently caress away and heal. Don't keep attacking him because he's just gonna turn again and crush you beneath his wrinkly girth.

Perfectly logical.