Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pivo posted:

Also I just got a new job and apparently I have to do iOS development on a Mini with 2gb of RAM. Swapping like a good 3 gigs all the time with Xcode and the simulator running.

Expect me to bother you people about upgrading it soon

If it's an older 2006-2007 Mini, it'll never recognize more than 3 GB of RAM.

If it's an early/late 2009 Mini it can go up to 8 GB.

If it's 2010 or later, it can unofficially go to 16 GB.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

If I hear you call your MacBook Pro a PowerBook one more god drat time…
Been a while since I've heard anyone even say PowerBook, course it's been 8 years since they've killed off the name so I guess that's not really surprising. People are still buying iBooks though!

Pivo posted:

Also I just got a new job and apparently I have to do iOS development on a Mini with 2gb of RAM. Swapping like a good 3 gigs all the time with Xcode and the simulator running.

Expect me to bother you people about upgrading it soon
Jesus, might as well get it done with now. If it's the current style (flatter, single piece aluminum shell) you screw off the bottom, remove old RAM, insert new RAM.

If it's the older one (white plastic top), find/buy a thin metal putty knife or two to make your life easier then look up tutorials on it. It's not that hard but the case opening step is weird, and there's a bunch of little steps once you're inside. I'm assuming/hoping they're not making you use a pre-2009 machine cause you wouldn't be able to run the current version of OS X and Xcode on them.

Course even when you do have enough RAM they can still be painfully slow cause the stock drives :v:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

NeuralSpark posted:

Oh God the "MAC" in all caps. I see this all day long from sales reps and it's so hard to just let it slide.

Makes me think of a MAC address and it's right up there with calling a computer a "CPU". I regard people who do that as idiots.

The cosmetics company is funny and probably operated by trolls, I particularly like their "Mac Pro": https://www.maccosmetics.com/macpro/index.tmpl

gregday
May 23, 2003

flavor posted:

Makes me think of a MAC address and it's right up there with calling a computer a "CPU". I regard people who do that as idiots.

The cosmetics company is funny and probably operated by trolls, I particularly like their "Mac Pro": https://www.maccosmetics.com/macpro/index.tmpl

There's also this:

The Air price drop is nice. Tim Cook has been working for years to get prices down without compromising on quality. The old chestnut about Apple hardware being sold only at luxury prices is just not true anymore.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flavor posted:

Cisco of all people sent us documentation for our AnyConnect deployment referring to Macs as MACs :smithicide:

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Mercurius posted:

Cisco of all people sent us documentation for our AnyConnect deployment referring to Macs as MACs :smithicide:

In Cisco-speak it must be the physical or hardware address, never the Media Access Control address? :downs:
I cringe at the sight.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Malcolm posted:

In Cisco-speak it must be the physical or hardware address, never the Media Access Control address? :downs:
I cringe at the sight.
No, they referred to the MAC address of the NIC elsewhere in the document :sigh:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

japtor posted:

Course even when you do have enough RAM they can still be painfully slow cause the stock drives :v:

If it's a 2009 or earlier he might as well throw a SSD in there while it's torn apart for the RAM upgrade. I put 8 GB of DDR3 and a 240 GB SSD in an old late 2009 and the system really flies now.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's a late 2009, MacMini3,1

Not sure WHICH 3,1 it is. I wouldn't be doing the upgrade myself anyway, it's not my hardware I'm not gonna go taking it apart, prolly just get them to take it to one of the millions of AASPs here.

I'd honestly just use my awesome MBP for work but I don't think they'd like that very much. Plus it sends the wrong message. "You guys have such poo poo hardware that I'm going to use my own for quality of life purposes"

I'm already going to bring in my keyboard and trackball

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Pivo posted:

Plus it sends the wrong message. "You guys have such poo poo hardware that I'm going to use my own for quality of life purposes"

How's that message wrong? I'd say it's exactly right. They should either give you something better than a doorstop for programming or let you bring your own. Also you're FYAD posting here (no periods at the ends of posts), you should have the guts.

Or are you just posturing in front of an anonymous audience but otherwise living in quiet misery? Huh? Huh?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

flavor posted:

How's that message wrong? I'd say it's exactly right. They should either give you something better than a doorstop for programming or let you bring your own. Also you're FYAD posting here (no periods at the ends of posts), you should have the guts.

Or are you just posturing in front of an anonymous audience but otherwise living in quiet misery? Huh? Huh?

I have no idea what you're talking about, I've been on SA since 2003 (don't ask why my account is 2004) and I've never really 'understood' FYAD.

Nah, they're willing to give me quality of life stuff ... I've got a beefy PC running Linux and three nice monitors.... Just that a large portion of my work is going to be iOS dev and for that they have an anaemic Mini. I'd prefer to do 100% of the dev work in OS X so it'd be nice if I had a nice Mac.

My MBP blows this poo poo out of the water, buddy who I'm replacing raced my MBP against that Mini building the same project and starting the simulator... His easily took 10 times longer. Oh well.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pivo posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, I've been on SA since 2003 (don't ask why my account is 2004) and I've never really 'understood' FYAD.

Nah, they're willing to give me quality of life stuff ... I've got a beefy PC running Linux and three nice monitors.... Just that a large portion of my work is going to be iOS dev and for that they have an anaemic Mini. I'd prefer to do 100% of the dev work in OS X so it'd be nice if I had a nice Mac.

My MBP blows this poo poo out of the water, buddy who I'm replacing raced my MBP against that Mini building the same project and starting the simulator... His easily took 10 times longer. Oh well.

Why is your reg date 2004 and not 2003?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Who gives a poo poo

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kingnothing posted:

Why is your reg date 2004 and not 2003?

I thought a hellban was permanent so I hellbumped some threads in GBS for fun and got permabanned by Lowtax. I reregged almost right away and people were aware that I was the same guy and basically no one cared, the perma was just to teach me a lesson. Lesson learned.

But, uh, yeah... uh.. Mac Hardware...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Boy, I sure wish a Mini upgrade would pop up one of these days. I have an early i7 rig working as a Hackintosh deal just fine right now, but I don't enjoy the possibility that some update will come out and destroy everything eventually.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:
So as I posted earlier in this thread that I got myself an 11 inch Macbook Air less then a week ago. Well my work sent out an email about the price drop and slight upgrade of the MBA. At first I was super angry because I literally just bought it and paid an extra 100 dollars for it, but thankfully I work for an amazing place that let me exchange my Air for one of the new ones. I even got a 256 SSD upgrade because they couldn't give me the 100 dollars back. Too bad I ordered a 512 SSD off the internet. Maybe I could sell the 256 to make up some of the cost

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

thenotoriouspie posted:

thankfully I work for an amazing place that let me exchange my Air for one of the new ones
So basically any retailer? I'm glad you're jazzed about your retail job, but ease up on the corporate Koolaid!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I went to the Apple store last week about my wobbly screen and the guy at the Genius Bar told me that it would cost $200-400 because they'd have to replace the entire screen. I thought it was just the hinge that needed replacement (which I'm still convinced is the case), but he told me it needs to be the entire screen because of some part that can only be changed by replacing the entire screen. It also has something to do with the screen moving horizontally (not sure if this is the best word to explain it) from the laptop.

I can't really afford to replace the screen right now but I also don't want to keep dealing with this wobbly rear end screen that's probably going to get worse.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

keevo posted:

I went to the Apple store last week about my wobbly screen and the guy at the Genius Bar told me that it would cost $200-400 because they'd have to replace the entire screen. I thought it was just the hinge that needed replacement (which I'm still convinced is the case), but he told me it needs to be the entire screen because of some part that can only be changed by replacing the entire screen. It also has something to do with the screen moving horizontally (not sure if this is the best word to explain it) from the laptop.

I can't really afford to replace the screen right now but I also don't want to keep dealing with this wobbly rear end screen that's probably going to get worse.

How old is it? Do you have Applecare?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

keevo posted:

Sometimes the hinge mechanism is indeed stuffed, and unfortunately that does mean a whole new display assembly. We can't order the hinges separately. Only tighten them.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I've inherited a second white unibody MacBook I'm trying to repair. Can you help troubleshoot? It won't power on, but the battery charges to completion. It's cosmetically fine except for a quarter-sized cracked indentation on the display hinge (where I'm guessing display circuitry could be housed), I've disassembled and re-assembled it after hearing there might have been a spill but seeing zero evidence. The power button seems semi-soft and not flush to the top of the keyboard area. I'm guessing it's toast, but anything to try would be appreciated. Tried to zap PRAM.

At least I have a second battery, charger, drive, topcase, etc!

Edit: vv Thank you!

kuskus fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 1, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

kuskus posted:

I've inherited a second white unibody MacBook I'm trying to repair. Can you help troubleshoot? It won't power on, but the battery charges to completion. It's cosmetically fine except for a quarter-sized cracked indentation on the display hinge (where I'm guessing display circuitry could be housed), I've disassembled and re-assembled it after hearing there might have been a spill but seeing zero evidence. The power button seems semi-soft and not flush to the top of the keyboard area. I'm guessing it's toast, but anything to try would be appreciated. Tried to zap PRAM.

At least I have a second battery, charger, drive, topcase, etc!

There's two contacts near the upper left of where the keyboard cable connects to the logic board. If you can short them or if you can short the wires leading up to the on/off button and the machine still won't power on, you're looking at a logic board swap.

The MagSafe module operates independently from the logic board and will dutifully charge the battery even if there is a bullet crater in the middle of the logic board.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Is anyone thoroughly unimpressed with the performance of their 13"mbpr? I recently got one to replace my 2012 MBP. It's fully loaded, 256gb, 8gb.. and man it has been frustrating me to use. Chrome will peg 60% (I'm currently running with 0 extensions for testing) and the general OS is just frustrating to use. Not frequent beachballs, but lots of javascript and application opening lag.

Do these things use super lovely SSDs? I have several other computers with high end SSDs and don't experience any latency like this. I have a Samsung S9 w/ windows that is stuck with 4GB of soldered ram and it runs much better than this.

I've already gone through the usual PRAM/etc resets. I'm going to start uninstalling apps that run in the background (dropbox, drive, evernote). It doesn't even feel like it's using an SSD. I open Chrome and have to wait 3-5 seconds. I just closed 2do then reopened it and it took about 3 seconds. The menu bar will show up, then a few seconds later the app will open.

vty fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 1, 2014

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

No, my 13" rMBP flies. There is something wrong with yours, either hardware or software. The proprietary SSDs Apple uses outperform standard SATA SSDs.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I also have a late 2013 rmbp and it's just an OS X thing, it's just not as fast as Windows.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Does anyone happen to know if the PCI-E SSD from a late 2013 13" air will fit in a late 2013 13" rMBP?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've had mixed results with mine, for example Navicat runs like dogshit and can't even scroll without being laughably choppy. I think a lot of it is due to crap software but for an i7 it doesn't feel that fast to me.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

revmoo posted:

I've had mixed results with mine, for example Navicat runs like dogshit and can't even scroll without being laughably choppy. I think a lot of it is due to crap software but for an i7 it doesn't feel that fast to me.

The choppy scrolling is one of the main issues I'm having. It's driving me crazy. I do development on my mbpr, I've always got Cornerstone, Sublimetext2, Evernote, iterm and Chrome open and it drives me crazy. I thought it was Chrome for awhile, so I switched to Firefox for about 3 months. Same issues. Personally I think it's OSX, or maybe some software that I install on every workstation. I had issues like this with my MBP but I assumed it was because it wasn't an SSD.

This system really doesn't feel any different. I've got 4 other 13" mbpr's sitting beside me. If I can't smooth it out today I'm going to puppet myself over to another one and see if that helps.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Action Jackson! posted:

Does anyone happen to know if the PCI-E SSD from a late 2013 13" air will fit in a late 2013 13" rMBP?

Hells no. Different sized mounting. They are also changing the SSD dimensions for the 2014 MBAs so you won't even be able to take a 2013 Air SSD into a 2014.

They're still going to be manufactured by Samsung and SanDisk though.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 1, 2014

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Hells no. Different sized mounting. They are also changing the SSD dimensions for the 2014 MBAs so you won't even be able to take a 2013 Air SSD into a 2014.

They're still going to be manufactured by Samsung and SanDisk though.

I figured as much but I was having a hard time googling for the answer. Thanks.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Holy poo poo I want a loving Air. Wasn't price-competitive with the $700 ThinkPads when I bought last last Xmas. Now totally is. I guess I could stop unplugging my X230 from its dock, stash it behind the screen, and make it a sweet-rear end desktop. Still, strangers get a huge kick out of my exquisitely-hackintoshed ThinkPad, and it's much less of a theft target. Doesn't matter, MBA sexiness trumps all.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

agarjogger posted:

Holy poo poo I want a loving Air. Wasn't price-competitive with the $700 ThinkPads when I bought last last Xmas. Now totally is. I guess I could stop unplugging my X230 from its dock, stash it behind the screen, and make it a sweet-rear end desktop. Still, strangers get a huge kick out of my exquisitely-hackintoshed ThinkPad, and it's much less of a theft target. Doesn't matter, MBA sexiness trumps all.

I couldn't disagree more. I wasn't even aware that you could hackintosh X230s - usually laptops are nightmares. I would kill for the ability to dock and have extra batteries, etc. I'm tired of getting to work and home and having to plug/unplug 5 different cables. Also the lack of expansion, in ability to add additional GPUs, general fear of putting my MBPr down too hard on the desk and breaking it, etc. I'm sure if Apple one day attempted to make an enterprise ready laptop they'd knock it out of the park, but they haven't and I think it's pretty lame.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
On what planet are Apple laptops not "enterprise ready?"

Enterprise users nowadays want speed, light weight and million hour battery life, which Apple laptops do better than anyone. Dock? Thunderbolt display or thunderbolt dock. Extra battery? Not needed. Additional GPU? Lol, but if you really needed this for something you could use thunderbolt I guess.

I think people just have this image of the old 1.5" thick Thinkpads as "enterprise" and anything that anyone would actually want to tote around as not, but considering how many people at my company have traded up to an Air or rMBP I'd say they're getting over it.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

On what planet are Apple laptops not "enterprise ready?"

Enterprise users nowadays want speed, light weight and million hour battery life, which Apple laptops do better than anyone. Dock? Thunderbolt display or thunderbolt dock. Extra battery? Not needed. Additional GPU? Lol, but if you really needed this for something you could use thunderbolt I guess.

I think people just have this image of the old 1.5" thick Thinkpads as "enterprise" and anything that anyone would actually want to tote around as not, but considering how many people at my company have traded up to an Air or rMBP I'd say they're getting over it.

Wow, put the koolaid down. I've owned non-Apple PCs that were lighter weight and faster than anything Apple has.

I'm glad that you're here to determine that we don't need a secondary battery, because there is definitely no use case (days of constant presentations, seminars, frequent travel, etc) that would make having several extra fully charges batteries available fantastic.

I could also bring up the fact that managing Apple products at the enterprise level is a hilarious nightmare, but that's for a thread with less bias.

Anyway, moving on, when you work in multiple offices or travel frequently the ability to expand or have a dock is a nice feature, whether it's necessary to your specific lifestyle or not was never my point.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

vty posted:

I couldn't disagree more. I wasn't even aware that you could hackintosh X230s - usually laptops are nightmares.

Quite the opposite in my case. If some French or Russian kid has written a DSDT for your model, you're pretty much set. If not - hosed. There's a bit of tinkering involved to get everything stable, but I'm five months into 10.9 with no abnormalities, and I haven't booted into Windows in months. I lack the knowhow to get sleep working though. It won't wake USB (all USB, not just the ports). So I have to call it a project. Battery life is significantly better in OSX 10.9 than it is in Windows 8, and I forget what the fan sounds like until I boot Windows.

And yeah, it's nice to have a laptop I didn't even bother buying a case for. I have beaten the loving poo poo out of this thing, to the point where it has experienced an internal fire (msata ssd overheated).

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

awesome-express posted:

How old is it? Do you have Applecare?
2009 MBP. I wasn't expecting them to do it for free, but I also wasn't expecting them to say they had to replace the entire case.

Yeast posted:

Sometimes the hinge mechanism is indeed stuffed, and unfortunately that does mean a whole new display assembly. We can't order the hinges separately. Only tighten them.
I was hoping that they'd tighten it, but the guy was pretty sure that the entire display would have to be replaced.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

There's two contacts near the upper left of where the keyboard cable connects to the logic board. If you can short them or if you can short the wires leading up to the on/off button and the machine still won't power on, you're looking at a logic board swap.

Are these what you're referring to?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Hells no. Different sized mounting.
They're so close now. Anyone have both and want to check?

In 2012 (and the 2013 update), the Retina used the square-ish SSD and it was mounted under the trackpad in a spot where they could have fit a standard 2.5" drive. But now they've moved to a gumstick format in both drives, and the Air no longer uses the hilariously long one in did in previous years.

(2013 Air, 2012 Air, 2013 Retina)

Also, the 11" and 13" Air SSD were always interchangeable, and the 2012 13" and 15" Retina SSD were interchangeable.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

So my 2012 refurb rMBP has started having some sort of charging issue. I have to reset the SMC every so often if I want it to charge. This has been happening for a couple of weeks now. I've been too busy to look into it much beyond finding out how to reset the SMC but might try more this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Evis posted:

So my 2012 refurb rMBP has started having some sort of charging issue. I have to reset the SMC every so often if I want it to charge. This has been happening for a couple of weeks now. I've been too busy to look into it much beyond finding out how to reset the SMC but might try more this weekend.

Have you tried a different MagSafe adapter? Have yo been using a third party one or one with the wrong wattage?