Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
That's the thing. An insurance company that is intelligent about long term costs should ALWAYS pick long term BC like IUDs as their main horse to back. A - unplanned pregnancies are loving expensive for everyone and B - cheapest cost in the long run. Even before the ACA there shouldn't have even been a question for any company that actually wants to make money and keep costs down for the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
I just finished my first period on the NuvaRing. TWO DAYS long. :o: I am in love.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Tigntink posted:

An insurance company that is intelligent...

This would be magic. Not BC, but my insurance just tried to deny my therapy visits (aka Couch Time) based on my "pre existing conditions". While, I did kinda get screwed over on the pre-ex stuff because my policy was new pre 1/1/14, sitting on a couch and talkin' ' bout my problems has nothing to do with my thyroid.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geolicious posted:

It's burning me up how many companies it seems are getting some sort of "grandfathering" around the BC mandate.

And even before the mandate, insurance companies seemed to be lovely about LARCs anyhow. I got my IUD before the mandate and I had to fight tooth and nail and invoke Nevada law to get it partially covered. I still had to pay about 350 bucks (which was doable for me at the time). I'm sure it all has to do with profit and poo poo blah blah blah or however the mysteries of insurance work. But logic tells me LARCs are cheaper in the long run for everyone.

When my wife got her Mirena last summer on a new post-mandate policy that didn't even attempt to claim it was grandfathered they still managed to find about $250 worth of stuff that didn't "qualify" for the 100% coverage - mainly blood tests, pregnancy tests and two ultrasound sessions (one during her initial consultation and another during insertion.)

I'm not exactly complaining because I think the final total on the bill was north of $1200 (had it done at a private practice and we make enough combined to put us well outside of any kind of sliding scale) but insurance companies are always going to find ways to get out of paying for things.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Might be the Devil's advocate here, but: not every BC works for everyone. Which means that if a woman goes through the three months that people say to do before giving up and changing it, that's only three months of pill cost or three months of Nuvaring or whatever as opposed to the full 5 year (Mirena) or full 10 year (Paraguard) cost. You can say "oh well it's only $10 a month for the Paraguard" but what if it gets expelled and you have to get a new one? What happens if you can't deal with the awful periods or increased cramping? What if you decide 5 years from now that you want a kid and have it removed early? We all -want- our first BC method to be a dream come true, and some of us have been lucky enough to get that, but it appears to be fairly rare. Insurance companies have to look at all of this and weigh risk vs reward, and IUDs and to a lesser extent Nexplanon have a much higher risk to their reward.

That being said- they're loving assholes for trying to get around the BC mandate. Period.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BlueOccamy posted:

Might be the Devil's advocate here, but: not every BC works for everyone. Which means that if a woman goes through the three months that people say to do before giving up and changing it, that's only three months of pill cost or three months of Nuvaring or whatever as opposed to the full 5 year (Mirena) or full 10 year (Paraguard) cost. You can say "oh well it's only $10 a month for the Paraguard" but what if it gets expelled and you have to get a new one? What happens if you can't deal with the awful periods or increased cramping? What if you decide 5 years from now that you want a kid and have it removed early? We all -want- our first BC method to be a dream come true, and some of us have been lucky enough to get that, but it appears to be fairly rare. Insurance companies have to look at all of this and weigh risk vs reward, and IUDs and to a lesser extent Nexplanon have a much higher risk to their reward.

That being said- they're loving assholes for trying to get around the BC mandate. Period.

People who expel or hate their IUD are in a pretty low percentage. :colbert: You tend to see more poo poo about it on the interwebs because people are more likely to go around and complain when something bad happens to them - less so when it works out. Most of my girlfriends have IUDs now and we're all in this happy high five club. Same with using the cup + IUD. Maybe it's just a Seattle thing.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tigntink posted:

People who expel or hate their IUD are in a pretty low percentage. :colbert: You tend to see more poo poo about it on the interwebs because people are more likely to go around and complain when something bad happens to them - less so when it works out. Most of my girlfriends have IUDs now and we're all in this happy high five club. Same with using the cup + IUD. Maybe it's just a Seattle thing.

Well, you can pull it out if you don't break the seal. We've had at least one poster in the thread who did that. But as long as you're careful, true cups and IUDs are fine.

As for your earlier post, I've kind of had the same experience with Paragard. Like the first 6 months were terrible murderpants/crampfests but now my periods are shorter (like 4 days) and only cramp on day 1. I seriously forgot I was even having a period yesterday. :v:

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
I had an awful experience with Mirena and I still recommend it. Just because my ovaries decided they weren't having it doesn't mean it won't work for the majority of women who choose it.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Paragard trip report! Crampy as butts, it was a super weird feeling, but I couldn't be happier. I also learned I have a small uterus. The NP was great, talking me through everything she was doing and keeping me focused on her. No numbing agent was used, but I was alright. The strings feel different than I expected, more like the tag that holds tags in clothes in stores. Have to go back 2 weeks after my next period, hopefully all is good then. Now just have to hope the cramps aren't so bad at work tomorrow, but I've stocked up on Aleve and Thermacares, so I'll be alright.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

For me the cramps were mostly gone by the next day (after being fairly bad the day of), but I guess your mileage may vary there. The strings will get softer with time, mine weren't nearly so "fishing line-like" after a few months.

And I was the same as you! My doctor felt around my uterus and was like "Oh it's pretty small." Also the first time I learned that it was tipped really far forward. Which was funny because the next time I talked to my mom she was like "Oh mine was too!" :raise:

But glad it went well for you! It is definitely a weird feeling, but it's worth it.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Thanks. They were uncomfortable last night, thankfully my mom had a thousand heating packs for me to steal from (stayed with my parents rather than braving the train last night, plus she bought me froyo, so I double win). Right now it seems alright, but I will def be sticking a thermacare in my pants for work today. She didn't say anything about tampons, which was weird, because she knew I was on my period yesterday. Now I don't know if I should stick with pads, my mortal enemy, or not.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
My gyno was like "don't stick anything up there for a week or 2" So, I toughed out the spotting with pads/liners. Pad are the goddamned worst, though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you haven't worn pads since like middle school, some magic tech happened in the last 5 years and now they're all incredibly thin instead of being fat shreddy wadded-up diapers. It's still not enough to make you want to wear pads, but it does make them about fifty times less bad than they used to be.

v yeah that's the brand! :science:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 30, 2014

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That is true. I would recommend Always Infinity. They were... tolerable.

I remember standing in the pad aisle the weekend before my insertion trying to figure out what the hell to buy since I hadn't bought a pad in like 15 years.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Totally rocking a giant pad today, since all I have are the huge overnights, I might have to swing by CVS on my way home and get some not-diaper-like pads.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah, nobody told me specifically not to use tampons, but I didn't really feel like sticking anything in there and something like a tampon seemed like a bad idea to me (whether that was actually true or not). I used Kotex Natural Balance pads, because anything Always brand makes me really itchy/irritated. But that's up to you.

If it makes you feel better, I only had bleeding for a week or so (I was also on my period). But I was coming off the pill so things might have been more regular.

Edit: I just remembered, for those asking about Paragard things people don't really tell you about. I have noticed that my period tends to do a "start/stop" kind of thing now. So that might be something to be careful with. If your period seems to suddenly stop after a few days, give it some time before you trust that it's actually over because it may just start back up again.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 1, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I hated pads so much that I gave up and and used my cup on day 2. Had no problems. Just removed it very carefully.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Edit: I just remembered, for those asking about Paragard things people don't really tell you about. I have noticed that my period tends to do a "start/stop" kind of thing now. So that might be something to be careful with. If your period seems to suddenly stop after a few days, give it some time before you trust that it's actually over because it may just start back up again.

Thankfully (not really) I'm used to that with Implanon so at least that's not going to be too awful.

Status update, feel so much better today, still angry about pads but they're not the worst thing in the world.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ilysespieces posted:

Thankfully (not really) I'm used to that with Implanon so at least that's not going to be too awful.

Status update, feel so much better today, still angry about pads but they're not the worst thing in the world.

It's kind of cool once you get used to it. Like a little mini-vacation from your period for a day. :v:

Millard Fillmore
Jan 31, 2009

Foreign policy...in drag?
Things just got much more interesting in this administration.
Alright, now I have a complicated patch question.

On Wednesday my patch became super loose, pressing it back on didn't work so I just put on the last one in the box. My prescription won't be paid for until tomorrow but today is my change day. (loving bullshit, thanks insurance!!)

Do I just wait until tomorrow or do I go get a plan B till then?
Will my change day remain the same?
According to the schedule I'm on now, I would have another patch week and then a period week, would this stay the same?

Millard Fillmore
Jan 31, 2009

According to the website, I'm just going to start a new 4-week cycle tomorrow? I think I'm good, we always use a condom or pull out but I'll let him know and it'll be okay (what I'm telling myself)

E: I'm scared someone hold me

orthoevra website posted:

In the middle of the patch cycle (Week Two/Day 8 or Week Three/Day 15), for one or two days (up to 48 hours), you should apply a new patch immediately. The next patch should be applied on the usual "Patch Change Day." No backup contraception is needed.

It's day 15 for me right now, so this is telling me that if I apply the new one tomorrow I'll be good and to keep on the same cycle, meaning take the patch off Sunday (5/11) have a period next week?

Millard Fillmore fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 4, 2014

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Millard Fillmore posted:

It's day 15 for me right now, so this is telling me that if I apply the new one tomorrow I'll be good and to keep on the same cycle, meaning take the patch off Sunday (5/11) have a period next week?

Correct. Your change day remains the same, and you're still covered.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

If you're using condoms regularly anyway, you'll probably be fine. They're an effective form of birth control by themselves when used correctly, especially in a short time frame like waiting for a new prescription or what have you.

Millard Fillmore
Jan 31, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

If you're using condoms regularly anyway, you'll probably be fine. They're an effective form of birth control by themselves when used correctly, especially in a short time frame like waiting for a new prescription or what have you.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Correct. Your change day remains the same, and you're still covered.

Thanks guys. :3:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I should add that I have no experience with the patch, so I can't really give you reliable advice on that. :sweatdrop:

Millard Fillmore
Jan 31, 2009

Ohhhhhkay, so apparently they filled my prescription with a generic brand, is this still okay?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Millard Fillmore posted:

Ohhhhhkay, so apparently they filled my prescription with a generic brand, is this still okay?

You can always ask to speak to the pharmacist if any little thing is different about your prescription. I recommend it for your peace of mind. You can call your doctor too.

You should be fine though. If there were any special instructions/warnings, they should be included with your prescription.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Millard Fillmore posted:

You will still absolutely have the same birth control coverage, however you might have side effects you didn't have on the name brand. Generics have the exact same active ingredients, just different inactive ones.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Millard Fillmore posted:

What? I didn't know the patch had a generic. When I was on it, there wasn't one. When was it first released/what is it called?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Reformed Tomboy posted:

What? I didn't know the patch had a generic. When I was on it, there wasn't one. When was it first released/what is it called?

From what I can find, it was actually just released in mid-April. It's called "Xulane."

You can read about it here, though it's mostly just a press release.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Reupped on Implanon/Nexplanon! I got my second one taken out and a fresh one put in today.

NYC Planned Parenthood only does removals in one location, and I didn't realize what a zoo it would be. I had a 9 am appointment but it wasn't seen until 11:30.

Once I was seen, it was super easy. One shot of local anesthesia (this is the worst part -- it burns for a few seconds). Didn't feel the little cut. The tugging was a gross feeling, but not painful, and it came out way more quickly than the last one. She was definitely putting some muscle into it.

The new one was a total nonevent. Took literally two seconds and I couldn't tell when it happened. Perfect!

They actually didn't give me a care sheet or any instructions, maybe just because I'd said it was my third. I asked her to wrap it in gauze (no ace bandages) so I'm going to wear that for a day or two, but it should be fine. This one is significantly deeper, which is great since my last one was pain-in-the-rear end shallow.

In conclusion, Nexplanon owns, Planned Parenthood's scheduling does not, three more years!

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Anne Whateley posted:

Reupped on Implanon/Nexplanon! I got my second one taken out and a fresh one put in today.

NYC Planned Parenthood only does removals in one location, and I didn't realize what a zoo it would be. I had a 9 am appointment but it wasn't seen until 11:30.

Once I was seen, it was super easy. One shot of local anesthesia (this is the worst part -- it burns for a few seconds). Didn't feel the little cut. The tugging was a gross feeling, but not painful, and it came out way more quickly than the last one. She was definitely putting some muscle into it.

The new one was a total nonevent. Took literally two seconds and I couldn't tell when it happened. Perfect!

They actually didn't give me a care sheet or any instructions, maybe just because I'd said it was my third. I asked her to wrap it in gauze (no ace bandages) so I'm going to wear that for a day or two, but it should be fine. This one is significantly deeper, which is great since my last one was pain-in-the-rear end shallow.

In conclusion, Nexplanon owns, Planned Parenthood's scheduling does not, three more years!

I found the ace bandage helped with the bruising after reupping, though I really only wore it the first day and night (and possibly the second night if it was sore).

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I think that's every PP. I went to one on the Island and didn't actually get seen till 5pm for a 2pm appointment. Though then I went for my IUD insertion the next week I was out by 6:45 for my 5:30 appointment. I also had to do the forms and everything. There weren't many people there, maybe 6 ahead of me, but they only do insertions/removals at specific times so maybe I wasn't the only one there for it? Once I went back it was an easy 15 minutes (took a while to numb me) and yeah, the removal felt super weird, even though I was numb.

One week post Paragard insertion, have cried for no reason more than one, sometimes I feel super weird, hopefully that's the whole 'wtf no hormones?', I feel better now. I also feel amazing knowing I've got this little guy hanging around for up to 10 years. Every day or so I get a tiny twingy cramp for a few seconds, but other than that everything's great. I also felt the strings and the bf said he felt them and "It was weird. But I can live with them".

tl;dr Super happy about my IUD.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah, most likely it was the no hormone thing. I know for about 2-3 weeks I felt like a teenager all of a sudden because I was having mood swings, break-outs and my libido went crazy. But it all evened out so now I just get the usual ups and downs/PMS stuff.

As for the strings, with some time they should soften and will probably curve back around your cervix. But if it becomes a problem, they can always trim them for you. They'll probably ask at your follow-up (or at least they did at mine).

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I know this has been asked a billion times in this thread but it's not really a question, more of a whinge. I'm getting Mirena inserted tomorrow and I'm really scared about the pain :ohdear: I've not had a child so I'm super super scared that it'll hurt a bunch. I'm not scared about the aftermath pain, that will suck of course but it's the procedural pain I'm worried about. Wahhh. :sweatdrop:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sharks Below posted:

I know this has been asked a billion times in this thread but it's not really a question, more of a whinge. I'm getting Mirena inserted tomorrow and I'm really scared about the pain :ohdear: I've not had a child so I'm super super scared that it'll hurt a bunch. I'm not scared about the aftermath pain, that will suck of course but it's the procedural pain I'm worried about. Wahhh. :sweatdrop:

Unfortunately, it's hard to say how it'll be for you with certainty because everyone is different. But I will say that I've never had any children and the sounding/insertion just felt like two really strong menstrual cramps that kind of radiated up through my abdomen. Not pleasant, but not horrifically painful either. Plus both were over in a matter of seconds really, so it didn't last long.

You can take ibuprofen before the appointment, which is supposed to help with it and some doctors offer things like numbing spray but that varies practice to practice so you'd have to check with your doctor.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Kimmalah posted:

Unfortunately, it's hard to say how it'll be for you with certainty because everyone is different. But I will say that I've never had any children and the sounding/insertion just felt like two really strong menstrual cramps that kind of radiated up through my abdomen. Not pleasant, but not horrifically painful either. Plus both were over in a matter of seconds really, so it didn't last long.

You can take ibuprofen before the appointment, which is supposed to help with it and some doctors offer things like numbing spray but that varies practice to practice so you'd have to check with your doctor.

Thanks :) I think it's really the uncertainty that is bothering me. I'm a bit of a control freak.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sharks Below posted:

Thanks :) I think it's really the uncertainty that is bothering me. I'm a bit of a control freak.

Yeah, I understand the worry. Especially if you've done any googling about it. :stonk:

I was pretty terrified going in, but when it was done I just felt like "Wow, that was it?" Your experience may vary, but I hope not. :)

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah, I understand the worry. Especially if you've done any googling about it. :stonk:

I was pretty terrified going in, but when it was done I just felt like "Wow, that was it?" Your experience may vary, but I hope not. :)

I hope not too!

Last time I got a brutal migraine I was told in no uncertain terms that it was time to go off Yasmin and onto something with less or no oestrogen. Not super keen on the mini-pill or depo, Implanon made me gain heaps of weight so this is the best option I think. I also have melasma ("mask of pregnancy") on my face from the oestrogen so hopefully that'll fade too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mine was because of migraines too! :hfive: Except not so much to avoid estrogen, just that hormones in general trigger them and it was getting hard to function day to day with migraines every single week.

• Locked thread