Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ras Het posted:

Uhh, no? Look, don't try to bring some sort of vague objectivity into this, the scores to films like that are childhood artifacts, like NOFX or chiptunes. That doesn't mean that they're Strictly Bad Music, but you shouldn't be aghast if someone doesn't give a gently caress about Score to Superhero Film CXVII.

I didn't meant to imply that you should like John Williams music, but I am definitely not saying controversial poo poo by going, "John Williams has made several iconic movie themes".

If you don't like the music, fine (not a big fan myself) but going "Why would someone possibly want a John Williams score on vinyl" when those movies are loved by a lot of people and their themes incredibly well known even by the general populace who normally could care less about music scores, is just weird.

quote:

I don't know, loving Beethoven?

We're talking about movie soundtracks though. So just imagine I'd put 'movie' between the words 'identifiable' and 'themes' in that post. The one that was implied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The one true answer.

But for real, I'd love to get some youtube links for the really obscure poo poo.
I will listen to your music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4cGqu2_GQQ

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAsPeY8BsQU

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Hey now, John Williams was pretty good at putting a few musical notes together. A couple times. In the 1970's. But the vast majority of his compositions exist to add emphasis or emotional depth to scenes in movies. Outside of that context his music is very forgettable.

Why doesn't anybody talk about Morricone? I have several of his soundtracks! On vinyl!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Wilbur Swain posted:

Hey now, John Williams was pretty good at putting a few musical notes together. A couple times. In the 1970's. But the vast majority of his compositions exist to add emphasis or emotional depth to scenes in movies. Outside of that context his music is very forgettable.

Why doesn't anybody talk about Morricone? I have several of his soundtracks! On vinyl!

I'm championing John Williams when there's so many great loving music scores around, sweet jesus.

Here's a soundtrack I actually own and love, outside of the movie context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-wv4pFodIQ

It even got rereleased on vinyl recently. Topical!

But what I really long for are these soundtracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z10AlFDQfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThNgSjogMHU

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 1, 2014

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dissapointed Owl posted:

We're talking about movie soundtracks though. So just imagine I'd put 'movie' between the words 'identifiable' and 'themes' in that post. The one that was implied.
When the overall point that people are trying to make is that movie soundtracks are discussed disproportionately and you're insistent that we narrow the topic of discussion to just movie soundtracks, you are sort of proving their point, regardless of how recognizable John Williams' themes are.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What other composer has more iconic and easily identifiable themes than John Williams?

If we stick to moving pictures, Klaus Doldinger and David Rose.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Wilbur Swain posted:

Why doesn't anybody talk about Morricone?

Or Frizzi, Umiliani, Herrmann, Popol Vuh, Piccioni, Gorauger or Komeda or urgghhhh. But yeah, you don't defend a great score with "but everyone's seen that film!". With someone like Morricone it's that I hear the score, it's absolutely incredible, and it makes me watch the stupid and mediocre film it accompanied.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
^^ I really, really don't mean to say 'recognition = good music', I was just explaining why someone would want a John Williams soundtrack because some people seem to have a problem with the idea. I don't even loving like John Williams.

het posted:

When the overall point that people are trying to make is that movie soundtracks are discussed disproportionately and you're insistent that we narrow the topic of discussion to just movie soundtracks, you are sort of proving their point, regardless of how recognizable John Williams' themes are.

How did I give the impression I would want to narrow down the discussion to just movie soundtracks (besides responding to a post about movie soundtracks)? The question was, why do people care so much about movie soundtracks. Answer being, identifiable music with nostalgic value that a lot of people consider good music coupled with the recent boom in vinyl rereleases of movie soundtracks in fancy packaging.

Although for the super obscure stuff a youtube link would help out, because most people here don't know the artists in question and you want them to know who they are so you might as well point people in the right direction.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 1, 2014

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
If you're not casually flossing og libaeks your not even in the game.

e: I'm at work right now but otherwise...

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 1, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jerry Cotton posted:

If we stick to moving pictures, Klaus Doldinger and David Rose.

Also Ennio Morricone, Goblin, Tangerine Dream. It says a lot that I listened to the score from Sorcerer a while before I actually saw that movie.

But like, no one gives a poo poo about John Williams' scores that aren't part of huge, nostalgia-fueled franchises. When was the last time you heard someone go "Wow, John Williams' score to War Horse was really top notch! Can't wait to pick it up on vinyl."

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think nobody would give a poo poo if the records weren't so expensive and goddamn nerdy. It's pocket protector territory.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't even loving like John Williams.

Is it really worth the effort for you to argue about this then? You're not defending something of much aesthetic or ethical merit, just people's silly memorabilia or their boring consumerist childhood.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also Ennio Morricone, Goblin, Tangerine Dream. It says a lot that I listened to the score from Sorcerer a while before I actually saw that movie.

But like, no one gives a poo poo about John Williams' scores that aren't part of huge, nostalgia-fueled franchises. When was the last time you heard someone go "Wow, John Williams' score to War Horse was really top notch! Can't wait to pick it up on vinyl."

Exactly. And yet people will still buy the War Horse soundtrack if it's got a custom cover by who gives a poo poo, comes on brown vinyl (like the horse!) and a limited edition of 1000 (or simply labeled limited edition).

I was hoping this massive boom in soundtrack labels would result in some obscure and foreign soundtracks being re-released. Aside from a few releases, nothing. Just poo poo like this.

It's not even on blue and orange vinyl!

Ras Het posted:

Is it really worth the effort for you to argue about this then? You're not defending something of much aesthetic or ethical merit, just people's silly memorabilia or their boring consumerist childhood.

Absolutely not, and I'm regretting it altogether.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm championing John Williams when there's so many great loving music scores around, sweet jesus.

Here's a soundtrack I actually own and love, outside of the movie context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-wv4pFodIQ

It even got rereleased on vinyl recently. Topical!

But what I really long for are these soundtracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z10AlFDQfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThNgSjogMHU

poo poo, I'm a huge Blur fan and had no idea that that Albarn/Nyman score existed. I may have to dig around for that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Allen Wren posted:

poo poo, I'm a huge Blur fan and had no idea that that Albarn/Nyman score existed. I may have to dig around for that.

The movie is on Netflix and is really good. The score elevates the entire thing.

vvv not the specific ones I want but thanks anyway :tipshat:

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 1, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I was hoping this massive boom in soundtrack labels would result in some obscure and foreign soundtracks being re-released.

It did. For foreign soundtrack releases try looking at foreign labels; hope this helps :tipshat:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Scores do nothing but exploit movie viewers into feeling emotions that what is present on screen failed to do. Don't support soundtracks or scores! They are only there to harm your intelligence!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

Scores do nothing but exploit movie viewers into feeling emotions that what is present on screen failed to do. Don't support soundtracks or scores! They are only there to harm your intelligence!

I hate it when I feel things.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

het posted:

what happens when all there is to talk about are these loving anarcho-grime and funk-dronecore obscure jackoff vinyls that these assholes keep posting? look, i'm just one guy and i'm just being honest here but i'm tired of people liking things that i don't know about. we can all relate to the inception soundtrack and in the spirit of inclusiveness i think we should keep all this esoteric black-and-white-cover slam-jazz crunkbeat in some other thread.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

stay depressed posted:

what happens when all there is to talk about are these loving anarcho-grime and funk-dronecore obscure jackoff vinyls that these assholes keep posting? look, i'm just one guy and i'm just being honest here but i'm tired of people liking things that i don't know about. we can all relate to the inception soundtrack and in the spirit of inclusiveness i think we should keep all this esoteric black-and-white-cover slam-jazz crunkbeat in some other thread.

I agree, it would be total bullshit if anyone said that in this thread.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
look i just want all the coolguy limited 50 copy packaged with broken glass poo poo to be in some other thread where i dont have to look at it. i come to this forum and thread to see pictures and posts about records that, you know, normal loving people want to see.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stay depressed posted:

look i just want all the coolguy limited 50 copy packaged with broken glass poo poo to be in some other thread where i dont have to look at it. i come to this forum and thread to see pictures and posts about records that, you know, normal loving people want to see.

Normal people don't want to see any records :shrug:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
listen buddy, i'm plenty normal and i stay stacked on records. i'm talkin about the true pleasure of well-kept sabbath. i'm talkin about clean, smooth crisp beatles. i'm talkin about the angular madness of talking heads on jet black midnight vinyl. this is what i'm into and so far... im not impressed

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stay depressed posted:

listen buddy, i'm plenty normal and i stay stacked on records. i'm talkin about the true pleasure of well-kept sabbath. i'm talkin about clean, smooth crisp beatles. i'm talkin about the angular madness of talking heads on jet black midnight vinyl. this is what i'm into and so far... im not impressed

I wouldn't be impressed either with that selection :tipshat:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Sabbath rules. I would like to see pictures of your sabbath records please.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

talkin about that air-sealed crisp clean 'zep

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

stay depressed posted:

stay depressed posted:

That Boyd Rice picdisc is sick. Make an SA Mart thread if you're feeling spicy. A lot of us, including myself, have very similar interests. I'd love to see the pv, crust, and nyc stuff you have kicking around.

Literally your second post in this thread. I wouldn't really consider Boyd Rice what "normal loving people want to see"

PS. I also like Sabbath, but only up to Technical Ecstasy.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
keep reading my posts cause they get really good

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I see your derail and raise you a derail.

Boyd Rice is an insufferable person who is either an actual Nazi or takes the 4chan style of "edgy" oneupsmanship so seriously that I can only roll my eyes at his okay music.

And it's his fault that I missed a Cold Cave show.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Anarcho-grime interests me.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Is this your band?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I hate it when people talk about records in this thread about records.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

I listened to them while they were still kittens.

In other news, local record store has leftover copies from Record Store day because no one showed up, going to get my hands on some stuff tonight.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

I hate it when people talk about records in this thread about records.
You want people posting about records, post about some loving records. There is absolutely no benefit to anyone done by this childish passive aggressive poo poo.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I find it very odd that in the dubstep scene a lot of tunes are still released vinyl only. I understand the white labels but there are still a couple labels doing vinyl only runs that sell out in 24-72 hours that are than flipped on discogs for quadruple the price. Leaves a lot of people with there thumb up there rear end waiting on a repress.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

b0red posted:

I find it very odd that in the dubstep scene a lot of tunes are still released vinyl only. I understand the white labels but there are still a couple labels doing vinyl only runs that sell out in 24-72 hours that are than flipped on discogs for quadruple the price. Leaves a lot of people with there thumb up there rear end waiting on a repress.

Is there any of the old "label owner buys up most of the stock themselves to create artificial scarcity then flips the records on a trickle using a straw man" trick around?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is there any of the old "label owner buys up most of the stock themselves to create artificial scarcity then flips the records on a trickle using a straw man" trick around?

Not that extreme that I know of, but the guy from Rough Trade buys records that are sure to become rare and then loads them off on his Discogs account for double or triple price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

No. In the dubstep scene all the labels are generally run by the top dog artists. Plus if something like that were to happen I'm sure someone would figure it out and it would ruin a labels credibility.