Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Trast posted:

Well if you get paid 20 million dollars to do a badly written action movie every few years it frees you up to take all the other roles you want because you can say "yeah I'll work for my minimum" to get a chance at an oscar.

For sure, and what's why he might love the character itself but find the movies tiring yet necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Lobok posted:

Even if he loves the character you'd think at some point he would get tired of being in movies that are utter tripe.

Hugh Jackman has what 2/3 films in his entire career that aren't terrible? I think he'll be fine with churning out X films for as long as they pay well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Les Mis, Prestige, X2, and I wanna say he almost certainly is in some other good films I just can't think of them right now.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That Ashley Judd movie with the cow metaphor. He was pretty funny.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What I like about Jackman is that he just seems so drat enthusiastic about everything. He made for a good Wolverine because he seemed to genuinely love the character and believe in the character. From the article it sounded like he has put more faith into the character than the studios have and he is getting tired of doing sub-par movies with the character. I wonder if any of this goes back to the days when the Aranofski Wolverine movie fell through.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hugh Jackman on Monday fought Magneto live on national television. He can do anything he wants as far as I'm concerned.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Endless Mike posted:

Hugh Jackman on Monday fought Magneto live on national television. He can do anything he wants as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to assume, since you used the actor's name and the character's name, that Magneto actually exists and did battle with Hugh Jackman, Hollywood actor.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wrestling is comics in real life.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I'm going to assume, since you used the actor's name and the character's name, that Magneto actually exists and did battle with Hugh Jackman, Hollywood actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhvXf86PsDM

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Madkal posted:

From the article it sounded like he has put more faith into the character than the studios have and he is getting tired of doing sub-par movies with the character.

Are you serious? He was loving stocked for The Wolverine and in no shape or form does he think it was 'sub-par'.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

God one of these days I have really got to start watching WWE.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TwoPair posted:

God one of these days I have really got to start watching WWE.

Yeah, currently one of the biggest villains is Darkseid crossed with Brother Blood, wrapped in a shell of De Niro from Cape Fear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exbPoWuA4Ts

And he's fighting someone who could, erm, charitably be described as "Superman in Jorts."

The results are, well, weird as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6yVUxXnyA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Where as I saw him on TV in an interview while promoting The Wolverine, stating that he will play Wolverine for a long as they keep making the films. He loves that character and is all too well aware that character has made his career.

Well now he's saying otherwise. He does namedrop Old Man Logan in that interview for those wanting that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Well now he's saying otherwise. He does namedrop Old Man Logan in that interview for those wanting that.

I was excited about the idea of an Old Man Logan movie until someone else pointed out that they would have to change just about every major character except Logan.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Senor Candle posted:

I was excited about the idea of an Old Man Logan movie until someone else pointed out that they would have to change just about every major character except Logan.

We wouldn't even get Venomsaurus Rex

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Forget Venomsaurus Rex, we wouldn't get Wolverine going cross-country in the Spider-Mobile. The Spider-Mobile.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/01/fantastic-four-casts-tim-blake-nelson-as-mole-man/

Tim Blake Nelson is the guy who eventually becomes Mole Man in the new Fantastic 4. He won't be Mole Man in this film, but likely will be in the sequel. Although I'm sure they told him that about Incredible Hulk as well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Are you serious? He was loving stocked for The Wolverine and in no shape or form does he think it was 'sub-par'.

I got it from this which I may have misread:

Jackman posted:

“at that point where unless it’s better than the last one, I’m not going to do it.”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

greatn posted:

Les Mis, Prestige, X2, and I wanna say he almost certainly is in some other good films I just can't think of them right now.

Erskineville Kings.

He's also a successful stage / musical actor too, which is where he first made any waves outside of Australia.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Old Man Logan movie:

Replace Hawkeye with... I don,t know, Longshot?

Instead of an inbred Hulk tribe, it's an inbred Maximoff tribe. No, wait. An inbred Xavier/Juggernaut tribe. The deadliest combination of brains and brawn.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dacap posted:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/01/fantastic-four-casts-tim-blake-nelson-as-mole-man/

Tim Blake Nelson is the guy who eventually becomes Mole Man in the new Fantastic 4. He won't be Mole Man in this film, but likely will be in the sequel. Although I'm sure they told him that about Incredible Hulk as well.

Hire him for Morbius in ASM3 and then reboot it to complete the set

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The MSJ posted:

Old Man Logan movie:

Replace Hawkeye with... I don,t know, Longshot?

Instead of an inbred Hulk tribe, it's an inbred Maximoff tribe. No, wait. An inbred Xavier/Juggernaut tribe. The deadliest combination of brains and brawn.

Old Man Logan, cross country trip with Old Man Wagner. Venomsaurus is replaced by a transmode-virus infected collective of gila monsters that merge into a giant lizard machine.

An inbred Rasputin family, maybe, to replace Hulks?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Old Man Logan, cross country trip with Old Man Wagner. Venomsaurus is replaced by a transmode-virus infected collective of gila monsters that merge into a giant lizard machine.

An inbred Rasputin family, maybe, to replace Hulks?

Inbred Blob family

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

Inbred Blob family

So, Blob family?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gaz-L posted:

So, Blob family?

All of whom are played by the same actor from Origins, Eddie Murphy style.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Well, saw ASM2.

I felt that the movie was ...good but felt weird. Like it was trying to juggle too much. Not necessarily in terms of villains. But in terms of plots.

I think the Parker Legacy/Mystery stuff was unnecessarily highlighted. It didn't help that it was part of the opening scene. I honestly felt like this stuff probably could've been integrated into the movie a bit more and that stuff like the Roosevelt train could've been a nice ending scene.

The movie just seems to be a weird place after Gwen's death too. I mean, where do you go from there? They just fast forward through a lot and then end on a vague confrontation between Rhino and Spidey.

Once he became the Goblin, I really liked Harry. His acting, his motivation. It all made sense to me. Even though I read a spoiler about her death (and also, duh, the comics), I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I thought Electro was an interesting mix of camp. He was a bit nutty and a bit creepy. He was bound to crack at some point (as indicate when he was surprised Gwen remembered his name). He just happened to crack with powers.

I think Gwen and Peter nailed a teenage, post-high school relationship with the off-again, on-again, we'll travel the world together, no maybe we're on different paths, etc...

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I just saw ASM 2 last night, and agree it was fun but felt kind of off and weird. I don't think this is spoiler worthy, but basically a lot of the fights felt like a game. There would be crowds of people just cheering and watching and acting like it was a sporting event when everything was going to poo poo around them. It kind of made for a weird mood where there is danger, but no one is really reacting to it and it saps a lot of tension out of the scenes. Everything just felt slick and sterile with not a lot of real dramatic stakes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Doing 'Old Man Logan', but swapping out the characters for 'close enough' ersatz stand-ins is kind of missing the point.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I just saw ASM 2 last night, and agree it was fun but felt kind of off and weird. I don't think this is spoiler worthy, but basically a lot of the fights felt like a game. There would be crowds of people just cheering and watching and acting like it was a sporting event when everything was going to poo poo around them. It kind of made for a weird mood where there is danger, but no one is really reacting to it and it saps a lot of tension out of the scenes. Everything just felt slick and sterile with not a lot of real dramatic stakes.

Yeah, one of the most annoying things about this movie is the fact that apparently New Yorkers in this universe are complete idiots. Bullets are flying, lightning is blowing poo poo up, missiles everywhere...let's stand behind this tiny barricade and watch this poo poo like it's ESPN.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That sounds accurate.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

I got it from this which I may have misread:

I could read it as he wants it to be as good or better than the Wolverine. He does not want to do a lovely movie like origins

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, one of the most annoying things about this movie is the fact that apparently New Yorkers in this universe are complete idiots. Bullets are flying, lightning is blowing poo poo up, missiles everywhere...let's stand behind this tiny barricade and watch this poo poo like it's ESPN.

I've been to New York once and I can say with some confidence that this is an accurate representation of the city.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ASM2 was great fun whenever Spider-man or Electro were in the scene, and wavering between boring and mildly crap the entire rest of the movie. It's like they heard people praise the teenage awkwardness in the first one and tried to crank it all the way up.

Although I did like that they basically made Spiderman 2 a five-minute montage.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

TetsuoTW posted:

ASM2 was great fun whenever Spider-man or Electro were in the scene, and wavering between boring and mildly crap the entire rest of the movie. It's like they heard people praise the teenage awkwardness in the first one and tried to crank it all the way up.

Although I did like that they basically made Spiderman 2 a five-minute montage.

I thought the film makers did a really good job of stretching half of a good score across two lovely movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ruffalo said he's been working with Andy Serkis on Hulk mocap for Avengers 2, and it reminded me, didn't Ruffalo sign to a whole poo poo ton of Hulk movies? And they haven't announced a single one yet, have they?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

They're never going to make another solo Hulk film because they're never really successful. Rufallo is just signed on to the normal Marvel contract of "you're here forever".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wonder if they're ever going to start making team-up films. Not quite Avengers, but maybe like, Iron Man and Hulk, Science Pals, or Captain America and Thor at the Beach (rated R for steamy ab action).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Ignoring Defenders since a TV show isn't that effectivley what Winter Solider was, Captain America and Friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Captain America and Thor at the Beach
That is exactly the kind of movie title I want to see more of.

• Locked thread