Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

sassassin posted:

Goons here are more likely to completely meltdown due to fuckery than engage in it themselves.

I dont play on the goon server but based on posts in this thread I think this is completely true. Theres been more than one occasion where a goon will ask about joining the FC or another innocent question without first reading some offsite forum or whatever and people have got real mad about it and legit suggested that those guys be perma banned from the FC.

So if fuckery is what youre looking for you may not find it with goons in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Kly posted:

I dont play on the goon server but based on posts in this thread I think this is completely true. Theres been more than one occasion where a goon will ask about joining the FC or another innocent question without first reading some offsite forum or whatever and people have got real mad about it and legit suggested that those guys be perma banned from the FC.

So if fuckery is what youre looking for you may not find it with goons in this game.

That "or whatever" would be the OP dipshit.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whitefire posted:

I kind of just started playing this game on a whim one day when I realized this game is perfect for goon MMO fuckery and I need to play it with goons. Are there any goons on Exodus? I could happily re-roll on a goon populated server now that I know how this game plays out, and now that I am almost a bard and am bored out of my skull playing it by myself and getting the faintest whiff of human interaction whenever I queue up for a group thing.

You think? This game doesn't have a whole lot of things you can do to gently caress with people other than purposely doing bad in instances. Unless you mean just hanging out with people, which sure there are two chill FCs in excalibur you can hang out in.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Kly posted:

Really?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Kly posted:

Put down the tinfoil hat. Everybody who's had vitriol directed against them in this thread deserved this in-game actions or being a shithead elsewhere.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Please Be Contest: Battle on the Big Goon Extreme Mode

This contest is not limited to Excalibur goons, however it is limited to ffgoons.

Good luck!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You think? This game doesn't have a whole lot of things you can do to gently caress with people other than purposely doing bad in instances. Unless you mean just hanging out with people, which sure there are two chill FCs in excalibur you can hang out in.

Queue for low level routlette as a tank and withdraw after waiting for 30 seconds every time it pops.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

A majority, or at least a very vocal minority, of the FC are giant babbies who get upset over every little thing. So the general rules of the FC are to not be a shitheel, even if you're just being a small one. If you're hoping to say something like 'man I'm making this pubby so mad right now by trolling him' and have people pat you on the back, it's not going to happen here.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

RuanGacho posted:

Please Be Contest: Battle on the Big Goon Extreme Mode

This contest is not limited to Excalibur goons, however it is limited to ffgoons.

Good luck!

I'm not going to some offsite forum or whatever to participate in a contest.

Ugh, goons.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Kly posted:

I dont play on the goon server but based on posts in this thread I think this is completely true. Theres been more than one occasion where a goon will ask about joining the FC or another innocent question without first reading some offsite forum or whatever

The offsite forum for the FC they're trying to join? This isn't a PBC thread, we have a whole forum about the FC that's much better suited to whatever FC questions people have. FC FC FC

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Meiteron posted:

I think it's also that people may have thought that the Coil 2 stuff was going to be easier for the average player than it turned out to be. The world first of turn 7 got posted less than a week after 2.2 was released; people who saw the kill video only saw the kill, they did not see the 25 hours of failure that preceded it.

I can attest to this from the standpoint of running the new Coil turns without any videos out there to show you the mechanics. Turn 7 took us many runs to work out the right tanking positioning/timing and almost any small mistake could forfeit the entire run. Turn 9 is similar in that regard as there are quite a few mechanics that individuals need to watch for on sub 5s timers that can and will wipe the group if ignored/missed.

Just having a video of the fight, even if it is not a tutorial, gives you a huge advantage time-wise over the groups that were in there blind. Though, that doesn't make you any better at not petrifying/paralyzing/divebombing your friends :P.

For reference, these were our first clears of 6-8 (9 will be out ~someday~):
6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRmFzsxUlQQ
7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3HUd0djRsM
8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHEi025WRpo

Turn 8 is a well-oiled machine when executed properly, however it took quite a bit of planning outside of game to work out the right way to stack the 4 machines. Turn 9 took us the most overall time to work out, but I swear Turn 7 can still give you more trouble (we cleared 9 faster than 7 this week :/).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Given the responses in this topic, I think I will just try to suck it up in 2nd Coil. I can get salty as gently caress in other games (well, mostly fighting games), but I find it way easier to keep my cool in an MMO context because I was fully expecting (or rather, I guess I'm paying for) content that is going to involve a gradual learning curve, especially in 2nd Coil. I am not saying that folks are wrong for getting angry by beating their heads against video game dragons/flower monsters/Pseudo-Medusas. It also definitely sucks when mistakes are made that lead to wipes (and I get angry at myself for causing some as well). I just think it never helps when people start passing the buck, doing blame game stuff, or start trivializing their own mistakes (ie, "well, at least the mistakes that I made were minor and recoverable, you guys just need to get good because this fight is easy (even though it still led to the wipe of the raid)"). I just hope that tempers don't flare up to the point where it destroys the raid group.

Meiteron posted:

*Post that looks into my soul*

Yeah, I would imagine that even with folks like BG, who are way, way above my skill level, the amount of hours they put in to the fight would seem excessively daunting in comparison to the 8-12 minutes it takes to clear these turns.

Well, at least I can grind Atma/Animus in the mean time as a good distraction. :negative:

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

MechaX posted:

I just think it never helps when people start passing the buck, doing blame game stuff, or start trivializing their own mistakes (ie, "well, at least the mistakes that I made were minor and recoverable, you guys just need to get good because this fight is easy (even though it still led to the wipe of the raid)").

Yeah, this is an attitude that should never be allowed to surface. Really doesn't matter how much you believe you did poo poo perfect or that it's the other guys fault, saying stuff like this doesn't help the raid group and only makes things more tense.

For turn 7 we have a "don't give the bard poo poo" policy because his job is probably the hardest and he drat well knows it. Just operate on good faith that everyone is legit trying to do a good job. None of the individual mechanics are that complicated, but having to keep tabs on all of them simultaneously over about 8 minutes is exhausting and really easy to gently caress up, no matter what your job is.

My staaaaaacks

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
In contrast our group has a "always give the bard poo poo" policy. If there's one thing I can't stand is when everyone is too afraid to criticize each other that you get stuck in a sub-par group where no one is trying to improve. Hell, sometimes people don't even realize they're the problem unless you tell them.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

SperginMcBadposter posted:

That "or whatever" would be the OP dipshit.

Whizbang posted:

The offsite forum for the FC they're trying to join? This isn't a PBC thread, we have a whole forum about the FC that's much better suited to whatever FC questions people have. FC FC FC

Im just sayin its kinda bullshit to say your "chill" when you demonstrably get upset and insulting to people who may have missed a line or two of an op. Or even if they straight up didnt read it. I dont mean YOU either, just people in general, its happened a bunch in this thread. chill or laid back people would just answer the question, refer them to the op, both or just ignore them. Not get mad and insult them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

When it happens on a nearly weekly basis, people tend to get annoyed. The OP isn't even that long.

The only thing that could be improved is putting something like "ARE YOU ABOUT TO ASK HOW TO JOIN PBC OR DGKK? PLEASE JUST READ THIS POST INSTEAD, THANK YOU" right above the FF14 logo in the very first post.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Kly posted:

Im just sayin its kinda bullshit to say your "chill" when you demonstrably get upset and insulting to people who may have missed a line or two of an op. Or even if they straight up didnt read it. I dont mean YOU either, just people in general, its happened a bunch in this thread. chill or laid back people would just answer the question, refer them to the op, both or just ignore them. Not get mad and insult them.

I'm not ready to handle these multiple outrage layers, man

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Kly posted:

If a person is posting on the SA Forums and can't handle some razzing about missing an item displayed prominently in the OP I think maybe they are taking themselves too seriously.

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 1, 2014

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Belzac posted:

In contrast our group has a "always give the bard poo poo" policy. If there's one thing I can't stand is when everyone is too afraid to criticize each other that you get stuck in a sub-par group where no one is trying to improve. Hell, sometimes people don't even realize they're the problem unless you tell them.

Take ownership of your mistakes, call people out if needed, have a short "what happened" discussion after every wipe.

Sometimes poo poo just happens, but you will not progress if you keep making the same mistakes over and over again. People cannot be accountable for their actions if they are doing something wrong and don't realize it.

This is pretty much a reiteration of what Belzac just said, but it is really important for any sort of progression/learning.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Belzac posted:

Your bard is Sterling though, he feeds off of negative feedback like he's some kind of hitler flower going off of photoshithesis

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Doublestep posted:

Your bard is Sterling though, he feeds off of negative feedback like he's some kind of hitler flower going off of photoshithesis

Hitler flowers are in season!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

pocket pool posted:

If a person is posting on the SA Forums and can't handle some razzing about missing an item displayed prominently in the OP I think maybe they are taking themselves too seriously.

I would agree with you if a month or so ago people didnt flip their poo poo on some guy who was basically reenacting the bridge scene from the holy grail in game with a pubbie who also thought it was funny. Theres some major cognitive dissonance going on with the stated "dont be a dick" rules of the FC and the posting that happens.

I wont derail anymore about this, this is my first MMO and maybe all this is normal for goon groups in MMOs, its just very different than most of my other experiances with goons in games.

Athray
Jul 2, 2010
Read the OP.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Kly posted:

I would agree with you if a month or so ago people didnt flip their poo poo on some guy who was basically reenacting the bridge scene from the holy grail in game with a pubbie who also thought it was funny. Theres some major cognitive dissonance going on with the stated "dont be a dick" rules of the FC and the posting that happens.

I wont derail anymore about this, this is my first MMO and maybe all this is normal for goon groups in MMOs, its just very different than most of my other experiances with goons in games.

Look, between PBC and DGKK and Scratching Post and Muscle Wizards and all the other smaller groups, there's probably a good thousand goons playing this game; if someone is going to be upset because they can't handle the fact that not every single person out of that thousand has the same idea about what's fun or acceptable and that sometimes there are disagreements about what crosses the line, then I agree that maybe they're not a good fit for such a big guild

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If one is a Level 50, and has enough tomestones to purchase an i90 item, there is no other prerequisite gating a person from wearing it other than just being 50?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Feenix posted:

If one is a Level 50, and has enough tomestones to purchase an i90 item, there is no other prerequisite gating a person from wearing it other than just being 50?

None. Go hit up Auriana.

You might want to consider saving those for your relic and eventual +1 relic (225 needed for the Rahz-at-Han Quenching Oil and 900 needed for the upgrade to Zenith), however.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Belzac posted:

"Not giving poo poo" doesn't mean "never criticizing or figuring out what went wrong." It just means not being a huge dick about it.

Downtime posted:

Take ownership of your mistakes, call people out if needed, have a short "what happened" discussion after every wipe.

Sometimes poo poo just happens, but you will not progress if you keep making the same mistakes over and over again. People cannot be accountable for their actions if they are doing something wrong and don't realize it.

This is good advice.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
When raiding, all you have to do is determine why the party wiped, and learn from that failure. Sometimes it's just a lapse in judgement, sometimes it's lag, sometimes it's someone pressing a cooldown that shouldn't be on their hotbar. Either way, no matter how perfect one person in the raid is doing, we've all hosed up the fight one time or another, and that means we can all get better.

I'm not entirely sure why raid members that, I would assume, are friends or became friends because they decided to do raid content together, would have to continually give someone poo poo for loving up. Unless you make bad decisions in who you invite to your group, each person should enough of a brain to recognize how they screwed up and should be willing to learn from it.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Vaguido posted:

When raiding, all you have to do is determine why the party wiped, and learn from that failure. Sometimes it's just a lapse in judgement, sometimes it's lag, sometimes it's someone pressing a cooldown that shouldn't be on their hotbar. Either way, no matter how perfect one person in the raid is doing, we've all hosed up the fight one time or another, and that means we can all get better.

IT ONLY HAPPENED ONCE

Circle of Scorn is toogood

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Kyrosiris posted:

You might want to consider saving those for your relic and eventual +1 relic (225 needed for the Rahz-at-Han Quenching Oil and 900 needed for the upgrade to Zenith), however.

Can't agree with this enough, it's a horrible feeling realizing that you need to grind out some myth after finally getting through Titan.

Similarly, it's a wonderful feeling when you realize you have enough myth to just upgrade to Zenith straight away.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doublestep posted:

If sterling thrives off negative feedback he should be flowering grouping with me.

He's still poo poo.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Doublestep posted:

IT ONLY HAPPENED ONCE

Circle of Scorn is toogood

It happened twice with different paladins. HEH

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

If sterling thrives off negative feedback he should be flowering grouping with me.

He's still poo poo.

At least he's not petting his dog during the raid and forgetting to heal.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

KaneTW posted:

No one even died!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Kyrosiris posted:

None. Go hit up Auriana.

Yeah I'm gonna grind out tomestones while doing dungeons and helping out pubs with Story Roulette so I can get Bravura and Zenith Bravura, and by the time I'm all like TO THE COIL i might actually be passably competent.

KaneTW posted:

Dogs > Games. Every time.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Rei_ posted:

Dogs > Games. Every time.

I pet my dog all the time during raids and I haven't killed anyone yet. Mostly because it's a big dog and I pet her with my feet.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
My raid is all pretty lovely to one another, but it's all in good fun and we're all on good terms despite being jerks all the time. Except morgan. He's dumb and doesn't know what a kettle is.

Edit: Should mention we're on turn 9 despite being real real bad.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
When I went to type in my code for upgrading my PS3 copy to the PS4, it just kicks me back to the PS4 dashboard. Anybody have any ideas?

Pietaster
Apr 16, 2003

The warden of any prison has to be the very best in kung fu.
I'm a new PS4 player who is about to roll a BLM. Is this an easy enough class to play with a controller? Which class would be the easiest to use with a controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

When I went to type in my code for upgrading my PS3 copy to the PS4, it just kicks me back to the PS4 dashboard. Anybody have any ideas?

Does anything show up in the notifications tab? What happens when you look up FFXIV on the PS store?

Pietaster posted:

I'm a new PS4 player who is about to roll a BLM. Is this an easy enough class to play with a controller? Which class would be the easiest to use with a controller?

You can play any class with a controller all the way through endgame.

• Locked thread